Lixil

New message from Matt

image (4).png

Matt checks-in with us on what's instore for the new RIOT mode, 3.5 and more. There are some exciting new additions new developments heading our way so follow the link below to get a full rundown of what to expect.

Bookmark the APB Reloaded News site to get the latest updates from Matt and the team.

Read more here: https://www.gamersfirst.com/apb/news/2019/4/18/april-update-from-matt

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5

Can you please, for the love of all that's good, answer whether PC 3.5 APB will have PC or console vehicle stats, specifically with concern to the ability to do wheelies?

This has been asked many times, and you really should address it, or if you don't have a current opinion on it, figure out an opinion.

I know I'd be very, very sad to have console no-wheelie cars personally.

Oh, and also, why from 12:00-3:00? That's rather very much out of the time available of almost anyone working full-time in the U.S.

Edited by Kewlin
  • Like 7

the SPCT has reported

tfw the company that owns apb is actually listening to its player testers

There is some inconsistency in the benchmarks and initial frame rate tests. For instance, some hardware is running better than the current game and others are running worse. We already have another build queued up for testers this weekend with another round of changes. Improving the frame rate is critical, and that's an area that we will be focusing on until we can match or exceed the framerates in live.

this is both concerning and reassuring as a stable game experience is arguably the biggest draw of the engine upgrade, but at least you guys are aware of this before testing/launching 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Kewlin said:

Oh, and also, why from 12:00-3:00? That's rather very much out of the time available of almost anyone working full-time in the U.S.

I think its to try to balance between the hours QA staff is in the office as well as trying to make it not too late for the EU crowd as well.

1 minute ago, ChellyBean said:

All this info and people whining about wheelies 😤

The EU isn't really worth anything if the game is worse than it currently is: it's a reasonable question.

10 minutes ago, ChellyBean said:

Im not one of em, but man... people love their 4x4 stunts.

I mean LOVE em.

Not to mention the use of wheelies in matches themselves.

Edited by CookiePuss

the team's highest priority is getting the engine upgrade into public testing, and then everything will come together so we can begin the work on phasing and matchmaking.

FUARK YES i have thought about apb implementing phasing for mm across similar districts, that would really help the matchmakers selection pool.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Kewlin said:

The EU isn't really worth anything if the game is worse than it currently is: it's a reasonable question.

I mean Id take stable performance/framdrate, improved matchmaking, cracking down on cheaters etc over just being able to drive on two wheels for a few seconds. 

But if a lack of wheelies are what makes the game worse for then idk what to tell you

geez 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

I mean LOVE em.

1 minute ago, ChellyBean said:

I mean Id take stable performance/framdrate, improved matchmaking, cracking down on cheaters etc over just being able to drive on two wheels for a few seconds. 

But if a lack of wheelies are what makes the game worse for then idk what to tell you

geez 

It's not really even about 4x4 stunts, it's about the fact that so much of what makes APB good is how absurd and hilarious it is.

Every little thing we lose from that is a significant loss. I'd take bad performance (which I don't honestly have issues with: APB runs basically fine for me) over the game losing its soul any day.

Ultimately though, vehicle handling and the EU are basically unrelated, it's just up to what LO decides on.

• Like 1

Great news! Glad you guys keeps us informed about every progress on the Engine Upgrade and RIOT, not that this will shut the whining kids up, but it's better than be in the complete silence that G1 used to leave us. Sadly, no screenshots of the new Engine yet, but anyway, good work guys. ❤️

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ChellyBean said:

52 minutes ago, Kewlin said:

45 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

I mean LOVE em.

One of the ways people escape from being crushed is a wheelie to jump their car out of the way of the citadel monstrosity bearing down on them.

I can understand how this could majorly change things in game play , plus as cookie said WE LOVE OUR STUNT DRIVING

omg I'd go nuts without stunt driving.

• Like 3

Thank you Matthew, very cool!

news-19.jpg?v=53793-101classic ^_^

p.s. I hope the engine upgrade fixes this lighting problem.

Edited by vfterlife

This Engine Upgrade should hopefully help with fixing most problems.

Do not forget that Little Orbit will be doing another Engine Upgrade  after this to a better version than this one will be.

Clearly steps in the right direction with actual promises of movement forward kept.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fortune Runner said:

This Engine Upgrade should hopefully help with fixing most problems.

Do not forget that Little Orbit will be doing another Engine Upgrade  after this to a better version than this one will be.

Clearly steps in the right direction with actual promises of movement forward kept.

the "switch" to UE4 is in no way comparable to this

For this project, they're updating the underlying core of the game - it's still going to be Unreal Engine 3

The UE4 switch, assuming it'll ever happen, will basically be APB2. They'll have to rebuild everything from scratch

looks like engine upgrade is almost done great gg 👍

p.s. i hope 3.5 looks better at night instead of this pitch black right now(cant see sht)

Edited by TheMessiah

There is some inconsistency in the benchmarks and initial frame rate tests. For instance, some hardware is running better than the current game and others are running worse. We already have another build queued up for testers this weekend with another round of changes. Improving the frame rate is critical, and that's an area that we will be focusing on until we can match or exceed the framerates in live.

i hope that doesnt mean that you guys only optimized for intel/nvidia hardware but you will also optimize for amd graphics cards and especially the new cpus.

because that sounds like intel/nvidia is running better with the new engine (its unreal engine which is optimized heavily for nvidia)

because my ryzen 2700x + vega 56 runs really fine right now in apb would be shit if it would run worse after the engine upgrade....

• Like 1

@MattScott Are you able to hint at what in particular could be causing this (and what kind of hardware is seeing the performance regression) or is that a cards-close-to-chest thing for now?

Nice update, can't wait to see the walkthrough of RIOT today ^^

12 hours ago, ChellyBean said:

geez 

I feel like the way you're downplaying wheelies is a bit disingenuous. It's not just an emote on the road, it's something that allows for some really creative jumps in missions. On the scale of one behavior or mechanic it's maybe surviveable so Kewlin's statement is a bit dramatic too, but on the whole you really want to be careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water.

I think there is a small set of things that make APB unique and compelling. One is what everyone is conscious of, all the avenues for customization. Another is the way missions use the map's city blocks, essentially stringing together a playlist of individual maps, sometimes combining two or more together in the same mission stage, in a way making it procedural. And one is all the different ways you can use vehicles in combat without them actually having weapons on them, which is where wheelies come in.

The game doesn't work if the client and server aren't stable, and stable performance doesn't carry the game if it loses what makes people want to play it.

And somewhere in there is the way the movement system never focuses on animation to the detriment of 1:1 control, don't ever change that pls

Edited by PeterF

So another year without the engine probably, alright no problem, i'm enjoying shitposting here