Hiaro

Can ex-cheaters really go legit?

This isn't a topic complaining about cheaters in apb. I'm not the hackusate type and don't think there's very many left, but more a question I wanted an opinion on!

When talking about good players, people always give the names of people who were previously banned for cheating. [attempt at covering up name and shame].. Tons of others like them that were banned multiple times as well.

Name and shame removed. No warning. - Flight

Some people have a hard time accepting that the best players in the game are previous cheaters. Doesn't necessarily mean they cheat now but we also can't really know for sure. It's hard to understand why someone would cheat if they're really good legit, ya know? Doesn't make sense to me. Why throw away what you've worked for to cheat?

The idea of "once a cheater, always a cheater" is strong.

So just to get an opinion from you guys.

Do you think past cheaters can truly change and play completely legit now and even be really good at the game while clean? Or do you think people like that can never go back to being truly legit?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hiaro said:

Do you think past cheaters can truly change and play completely legit

yes? its not like cheats are heroin or something, you just stop whenever you want lol

1 minute ago, Hiaro said:

It's hard to understand why someone would cheat if they're really good legit

the "best" apb closets over the years have all been decent to good players that only sparingly used cheats for that extra little boost, thats arguably the biggest reason (besides downright trash anticheats) for the crazy cheater paranoia over the years - its a lot harder to spot someone cheating when they really understand the game

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Who knows really, some people may have simply dabbled in something they shouldn't, so no, I think it's very.. um... harsh of you to have that mindset. Also, TANGENT multiple bans =/= serial cheating, no, ban evasion was not a thing but FF would tag every acc you had associated with that IP/HWID for a ban at a later date (that was total bullshoot imo) so they used their alts legitimately but still got plastered on FF like they were cheating again. Plus all the numpties that account shared with the wrong person and got put up there as well

So many things about FF that weren't done well (such as never catching a lot of the cheaters), so I would like to keep it in the past and not have to delve into it anymore, a new era, if you will.

Edited by Acornie

I've only seen a couple go legit and stay that way. Most don't, they can't stand playing without that ego boost.

• Like 7

I have no idea about a good player who already has some internal motive for skill, but in my opinion it's really easy to fall into it as a bad player. You might find yourself with a really distorted assumption that a lot of players must be cheating, and that might evolve to where you think since they're all cheating and not getting caught, you might as well too. Then since you're a bad player, you're much more susceptible to the powertrip of suddenly being (nearly) indominable. That's the access down the rabbit hole of cheating elsewhere too.

I think the largest, easy reason a cheater would go legit would just be that they're bored of doing it and the enjoyment from doing it is no longer there. When you first start going legit i think is the most difficult part of the process. You'll be dogshit compared to what you know is possible, and you could be easily tempted back into it by toxic experiences where you know you still have a cheat that works, downloaded and ready, that you're not touching. Kind of like a drug withdrawal where you cant deal with it. 

Once you go through the process of getting good legit though, i don't think it's rational to go back. You've developed a deep understanding of the game, and how to play it. You've been able to win yourself some really sick plays and have experienced the wholesome rushes from them and how much more fulfilling the whole experience of owning legit is.

TL;DR yeah it's entirely possible people can change, who woulda thunk it.

1 hour ago, Hiaro said:

Do you think past cheaters can truly change and play completely legit now and even be really good at the game while clean?

LT7VOMw.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Yes, it depends on their drive to "win".

Regardless of how good they actually are, if their drive to win is astronomically high they're prone to falling onto cheating if hit with a player skill wall.

That being said, the drive to be "good" and the drive to "win" is not the same thing.

Edited by UubeNubeh DaWog

If they really want to play a legitimate game they can start over on new accounts.

That has always been an option so those that do truly want to be legit can do so, I don't know why any other discussion on the topic is needed.

Ppl know the consequences of cheating and still they do it for the sake of winning. If u had got things the easy way why would u change urself to get it the hard way?

Ppl cheat or quit the game tryna play legit. Thats how it is.

Ban does not prove person was exactly cheating, there are different violations which can lead to ban but cheaters never stop because they can always blame their imaginable nephew. One even successfully applied for SPCT, huh 🤔

I honestly don't care about most of the discussion in this thread (There will always be 2 sides to this, that will never change), my take on it would be that if they stay clean why not?

Just now, Microtea said:

One even successfully applied for SPCT

But I really want to address this, we did not apply to be a member of the SPCT team. We were approached by the staff ... Getting your facts straight is important when bringing up info in a discussion

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kevkof said:

we did not apply to be a member of the SPCT team. We were approached by the staff

Technically you didn't and staff selected people from community on their own but we both know how it worked. Few guys which known to be better in this, few guys better in that and some spamming fool with shady history and nephew excuse just because he was "active" in discord.

• Like 3

i find it hard to take someone seriously when #bringbacktiggs is right under their name

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Hiaro said:

This isn't a topic complaining about cheaters in apb. I'm not the hackusate type and don't think there's very many left, but more a question I wanted an opinion on!

When talking about good players, people always give the names of people who were previously banned for cheating. Such as the most controversial steamer, Joker's most notorious, the guy that resembles a banana, or the ultimate of edge in short dictionary names. (Only hints to avoid name and shame). Tons of others like them that were banned multiple times as well.

Some people have a hard time accepting that the best players in the game are previous cheaters. Doesn't necessarily mean they cheat now but we also can't really know for sure. It's hard to understand why someone would cheat if they're really good legit, ya know? Doesn't make sense to me. Why throw away what you've worked for to cheat?

The idea of "once a cheater, always a cheater" is strong.

So just to get an opinion from you guys.

Do you think past cheaters can truly change and play completely legit now and even be really good at the game while clean? Or do you think people like that can never go back to being truly legit?

There are ex cheaters who did in fact reform and some are now are respected people in the community in their efforts for us all.

Some do turn towards the light instead of that toxic darkness.

24 minutes ago, Fortune Runner said:

respected people

we are still talking about the apb community, right? 

• Like 1

Yes, there are cheaters who would dump cheating for good, but one fact remains certain:

Those who got themselves a VAC-ban have been forever slapped (unless they ditch their steam-profiles). This sure serves as a reminder that these kittens once cheated and may revert to their older-selves at any instant..

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lily Rain said:

Yes, there are cheaters who would dump cheating for good, but one fact remains certain:

Those who got themselves a VAC-ban have been forever slapped (unless they ditch their steam-profiles). This sure serves as a reminder that these kittens once cheated and may revert to their older-selves at any instant..

1 VAC ban on record | Info

2015 day(s) since last ban

yeup, that looks like the mark of a shaky character who's liable to just revert to hacking it up at the drop of a hat! 

I have had no problems choosing to play without cheats despite what Tiggs said about me once.

Having not played actively for the last three years combined with the weapon changes has probably dropped me off the skilled players list though 🤔

• Like 2

Depends on the person, most cheaters are either children/teenagers that just want to win but go about it the wrong way, or people that from a culture where cheating and taking advantage of system are not frowned up as strongly.

Some people can and will change but again not everyone are going to.

I'm sure most of us can say we're not the same people we used to be in highschool, but this doesn't mean we shouldn't have permanent bans or a limited number of chances.

We still got some people who cheat actively in some kind of personal agenda against community (or game) or simply "because they can".

The most cruel joke is that i'm in pool of "ex-cheaters" despite never cheating - but record is still there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hiaro said:

Do you think past cheaters can truly change and play completely legit now and even be really good at the game while clean?

I do, i was actually cheating before under the name KeyongKarus (not KeyongKiarus for the oldies that know me)

I then got banned a few days after FF was introduced , i deserved it.

The next months , i got banned more than 10 times under the names "TakaThe[XXX]...", the time it took for me to get banned was about a week or so, so you can tell a cheated quite a lot,

one day i was using a new character that i got up to rank 70 while cheating, and the last day i used it, i got multiple times against a team of some very old APB players, and even tho i was cheating, they mowed me down with ease,

At this point that's when i decided i wanted to be like them, to stop being dependent on a piece of software to be good.

Since that day i didn't use any cheats or any kind of software that could help me win against players, im strictly against te use of macros or any game modifications to play the game, and even if im still bad at apb, i can at least proudly say my hand is all i need to play how i do.

I'd like to say that i got a few friends that were like me, and the ones that still play apb to this day are legit, and will probably stay it.

Im not saying this is the case for everyone, but i am proof that it does happen.

Edited by Ketog
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BXNNXD said:

we are still talking about the apb community, right? 

there's a certain someone who has openly said they are a reformed cheater.

I'd rather not say whom so that hackusations don't get started from wild delusions.

Nop, cheaters use cheat because they are bad at this game. If they play legit, they will eventually get bronze/silver threat, while in the past they were golds (while cheating).  If they aren't cheating, they will get tired of losing against gold players and silver players, so they will rage cheat again..

And if that cheater usually play with legit players (in a group), those legit players will keep trying to defend him, which will rage boost his ego (mostly because the cheater is carrying the group).

And if there aren't cheats available, they will just stop playing the game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ketog said:

I do, i was actually cheating before under the name KeyongKarus (not KeyongKiarus for the oldies that know me)

I then got banned a few days after FF was introduced , i deserved it.

The next months , i got banned more than 10 times under the names "TakaThe[XXX]...", the time it took for me to get banned was about a week or so, so you can tell a cheated quite a lot,

one day i was using a new character that i got up to rank 70 while cheating, and the last day i used it, i got multiple times against a team of some very old APB players, and even tho i was cheating, they mowed me down with ease,

At this point that's when i decided i wanted to be like them, to stop being dependent on a piece of software to be good.

Since that day i didn't use any cheats or any kind of software that could help me win against players, im strictly against te use of macros or any game modifications to play the game, and even if im still bad at apb, i can at least proudly say my hand is all i need to play how i do.

I'd like to say that i got a few friends that were like me, and the ones that still play apb to this day are legit, and will probably stay it.

Im not saying this is the case for everyone, but i am proof that it does happen.

Maybe they just had a better soft Kappa