IAmDisappointSon

[Poll] RTW's artstyle or G1 Engine 3.5 artstyle?

RTW's artstyle or G1 Engine 3.5 artstyle?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. RTW's artstyle or G1 Engine 3.5 artstyle?

• RealTime World's visual artstyle
    • G1's Engine 3.5 visual artstyle

16 minutes ago, Ketog said:

idk , it seems normal to me

those are images i found online , but you can see that docks where i am are indeed man made islands with vegetation added on it , we can see it a bit on the pictures , but sadly i didn't find a pic of those palm trees

EDIT: actually i found one 

Those aren't even growing out of concrete, which the waterfront ones are. Literally no grass or soil around it whatsoever.

7 hours ago, SuperToaster said:

3.5 is going to come with a plethora of visual/rendering changes and it can just get better with there

RTW had terrible bloom which you only see in of course older games nowadays bloom is much higher quality and not much of an eyesore. What people are probably misunderstanding as “better” bloom then is the cross shape to the lights. Now we just had big blobs. Imo RTW was insanely too bright as night. I’d you’ve ever been in an actual city you’d know it can be fairly dark

Aside from some minor color palette changes there’s not that much of a difference between G1’s “style” and RTW’s. When we finally get our hands on 3.5 and can see the changes live with our own eyes then people won’t be so eager to get that RTW look back

when the game was first released there was no night time so the game was made for day time light only (to begin with)

4 minutes ago, Seedy said:

when the game was first released there was no night time so the game was made for day time light only (to begin with)

I just remember it going from day to dusk and back. Dusk is still pretty dark

1 hour ago, GhosT said:

Not to mention that the game looks absolutely awful now that they removed the baked shadows, so there are absolutely no shadows under the bridge in financial or inside buildings, because that whole thing is a "shadow" already.

Isn't that just shadows being generally busted on PS4/XBone? The PC asylum video test still had the baked shadows, as did the November 2015 screenshots...

On PS4 and Xbone, the shaders look so awful in Unreal 3.5.

On the other end, Asylum looks absolutely amazing in Unreal 3.5 from what I've seen in screenshots.

Edited by Haganu

engine upgrade apb, has a more tropical look to it, despite san paro being described as a bootleg vegas. The whole, city is always awake.

(hence the bloom and night time having that light pollution thing going on)

might be making a huge confusion, but ain't really against any.. just hope they could do both visions

Edited by Vahnilla
stuffff
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Seedy said:

The game has always had a day cycle, and there was night time, just that it was pretty bright due to the city lights and light pollution.

Don't think the poll is very good without comparison screenshots in the original post for people to compare with.

11 hours ago, Obvious Lesbian said:

The engine upgrade if you actually look at it looks like a better RTW apb.

Currently APB looks like crap because of g1 and their poor idea of what optimization looks like and turned it into a dingy colorless game

The engine upgrade appears to bring a little bit of the old RTW back while allowing some areas to remain dingy.

Yeah it's amazing to me how someone can take over a project and then make it worse in every respect.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GhosT said:

Not really a fan of the engine upgrade graphics, everythings so oversaturated, many buildings have been retextured into bright colors, there's palm trees growing out of concrete - AT A SHIPPING DOCK!

Not to mention that the game looks absolutely awful now that they removed the baked shadows, so there are absolutely no shadows under the bridge in financial or inside buildings, because that whole thing is a "shadow" already.

Baking the lighting on the maps apb has must take an insane amount of time even with decent computers. Knowning G1 at the time they probably couldn't afford to do that. Little Orbit, though not initially, might bake the lighting to fix the shadows, given that they are much more well equiped than G1.

Also you're absolutely right about oversaturation. In the current apb the oversaturation makes grey/neutral color concrete turn yellow, but in the engine upgrade it's a more neutral color that's still being oversaturated. They fix a few visual things with the engine upgrade and it's pretty much perfect.

Maybe if you bothered to put some effort and post screen of both, people who havent seen them before could vote.

The more I look at it the more I prefer the newer style. It has a lot more character than what RTW had made. Of course either is miles better then what we have now.. so at least it can't get much worse? 

But, yeah. I think I'd rather see them stay the course. The 3.5 upgrade previews look a hell of a lot better. Even if they got carried away with the bloom again. 

Here's a random comparison someone did ages ago of two old versions: 

apb1.jpg

In RTW there was too much light everywhere during the night. But the light sources looked nicer because they were more "bright". Now for example windows with light emitting from them just look like someone has painted them yellow. The light sources in general look way too dark.

What we currently have improved upon that, is that the darker areas are now better. The dark alleys and shady backstreets are now much more like what they should have always been. Unfortunately this happened with the cost of everything looking so dark and badly lit, even in the middle of the day open areas are like there's serious smog issue in san paro and heavy clouds. It looks almost like it's about to start raining any second...

I want bright days, dark back alleys during night and general improvement on how bright/dark the light sources look at any given time.

• Like 1

I think the engine upgrade version of day time looks a lot better than both live client and RTW. The night time is kind of a tie though. I really like how the windows glow in RTW, but I also really like the new night time in the engine upgrade.

fCXg1HB.jpg

APB_April9Web_5-1024x576.jpg

The engine upgrade is similar to RTW but a lot less "blurry" which seems to happen because of the windows and lights glowing.

Edited by hypergoob

17 minutes ago, MrM0dZ said:

why not both

This is my feeling as well. G1 didn't do a good job with the visuals, but there are some improvements over RTW. But with that being said, G1 did not keep the APB feel. That's what I want Little Orbit to look into, what RTW did and go from there. So that the game looks nice (dynamic lighting please), but most importantly, keeping the APB feel.

6 hours ago, Dopefish said:

The game has always had a day cycle, and there was night time, just that it was pretty bright due to the city lights and light pollution.

Don't think the poll is very good without comparison screenshots in the original post for people to compare with.

My monitor's cable is damaged and everything is blue. When I get a new cable I will edit the original post and add in screenshots to compare. Sorry for not initially having that.

1 hour ago, hypergoob said:

I think the engine upgrade version of day time looks a lot better than both live client and RTW. The night time is kind of a tie though. I really like how bright and orange RTW is, but I also really like the new night time in the engine upgrade.

fCXg1HB.jpg

ClP9ksR.jpg

The engine upgrade seems to have some similarities to RTW except this time it's all blue/greenish.

The screenshot on the bottom is not RTW. It's actually what G1 made APB look like when they first acquired the game.

7 hours ago, Xaix said:

Another video to remember:

This time from social.

Ooof, that actually really nice, but now is not the time! Must. Not. Want... My frail psyche cant take any more anticipating of new things.

If we could have the original RTW visuals but with the bloom toned down it would be perfect. I don't care for realistic visuals, I prefer something that's easy on the eyes.

Both are great but 3.5 wins out for me. It's a plus if it runs better as well. 

1 hour ago, IAmDisappointSon said:

The screenshot on the bottom is not RTW. It's actually what G1 made APB look like when they first acquired the game.

Oh, whoops!

I hope the game will look like on the engine upgrade video but just with lighter shadows. APB is kind of an arcade game so the visibility should be good. Otherwise people will intentionally downgrade the graphics to be able to see better.

On 6/3/2018 at 7:43 AM, Ketog said:

G1's engine upgrade style is by far my favorite , RTW's one had a good feel , but it also looked old , with that time when devloppers used to overbloom things with bright colors

Im not saying g1's one is perfect but it was (for once) something that players asked and it was well made in my opinon , no blurred textures on cars and clothes , no more blue tint , no more overbloomed lights , it looked good imo .

(and even when i take a look at the engine upgrade myself using the engine upgrade client that g1 made publicly avaliable without knowing 😂 the game looks great)

APBR_Comparison_Waterfront02.jpg

it was very good in my opinon

Honestly i think , if they posted and showed more of the engine upgrade , people would lean towards the new engine's style , because for now there's just most pictures of RTW than the engine upgrade so it can't be compared really well.

30kunn6.jpg

Actual engine upgrade on a good day.

Edited by Spooki3

I voted for RTW days on this poll, but once i realized i made i mistake it was already done.

I vouch for the 3.5 engine look, RTW shaders is in the past, it was an oversaturated thing (bloom exploding in our faces).
If 3.5 is oversaturated, isnt it good since some of you want the RTW shaders back? Now im confused...

1 hour ago, Poperon said:

I voted for RTW days on this poll, but once i realized i made i mistake it was already done.

I vouch for the 3.5 engine look, RTW shaders is in the past, it was an oversaturated thing (bloom exploding in our faces).
If 3.5 is oversaturated, isnt it good since some of you want the RTW shaders back? Now im confused...

APB RTW had perfect color balance and didn't overdo any colors. there was no filtered blue look, or pink, or any of those Instagram filter things. The engine upgrade has similar colors to that of RTW, except a much warmer tropical color pallet which I personally like. The only problem is the oversaturation which is not present in RTW. The engine upgrade has some oversaturation in the sense that when the iris system adjusts the brightness some parts get too bright and you lose detail. Like if I had a light colored brick wall, it would become bright like a solid color when the iris effect brightened the screen, thus losing detail. Another example is how the clouds are mostly a solid white color. The assets for the cloud actually have various shades and look really detailed, but G1's oversaturation makes the clouds solid white so you lose lots of detail.

This issue, at least from my knowledge, was not present in RTW at all if not in some small way. I'm also starting to think the oversaturation is caused by the iris effect due to the fact that it brightens the screen by a large amount. I believe from leaked footage the engine upgrade has a video option to disable the iris effect, so the engine upgrade pretty much has a video option to solve the problem.

• Like 1