IAmDisappointSon

[Poll] RTW's artstyle or G1 Engine 3.5 artstyle?

RTW's artstyle or G1 Engine 3.5 artstyle?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. RTW's artstyle or G1 Engine 3.5 artstyle?

• RealTime World's visual artstyle
    • G1's Engine 3.5 visual artstyle

I have a neutral opinion because the Realtime Worlds artstyle of apb and the artstyle for G1's engine upgrade both look visually pleasing and I would be perfectly fine with one or the other.

It would be interesting to see what you guys think. 

The Unreal 3.5 screenshots from the last few G1 blogs looked pretty stellar IMO, so long as the terribad shadow rendering of APB on consoles doesn't carry over to PC I'd be satisfied with it.

• Like 1

It may be rose tinted glasses but I liked RTW better. However, G1 also made a lot of changes in an attempt to improve performance so it’s a double-edged sword.

Personally, for me the game used to run better and used to look better. 🤷‍♀️

Artstyle schmartstyle... I just want stable servers. 

(sorry, was a rough day full of warping)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rumple said:

It may be rose tinted glasses but I liked RTW better. However, G1 also made a lot of changes in an attempt to improve performance so it’s a double-edged sword.

Personally, for me the game used to run better and used to look better. 🤷‍♀️

I am an dolt and completely missed the ‘3.5’ I thought we were talking about the changes made in the current build of APB

3.5 is going to come with a plethora of visual/rendering changes and it can just get better with there

RTW had terrible bloom which you only see in of course older games nowadays bloom is much higher quality and not much of an eyesore. What people are probably misunderstanding as “better” bloom then is the cross shape to the lights. Now we just had big blobs. Imo RTW was insanely too bright as night. I’d you’ve ever been in an actual city you’d know it can be fairly dark

Aside from some minor color palette changes there’s not that much of a difference between G1’s “style” and RTW’s. When we finally get our hands on 3.5 and can see the changes live with our own eyes then people won’t be so eager to get that RTW look back

i voted for 3.5, since thats what we're getting regardless lol

G1's engine upgrade style is by far my favorite , RTW's one had a good feel , but it also looked old , with that time when devloppers used to overbloom things with bright colors

Im not saying g1's one is perfect but it was (for once) something that players asked and it was well made in my opinon , no blurred textures on cars and clothes , no more blue tint , no more overbloomed lights , it looked good imo .

(and even when i take a look at the engine upgrade myself using the engine upgrade client that g1 made publicly avaliable without knowing 😂 the game looks great)

APBR_Comparison_Waterfront02.jpg

it was very good in my opinon

Honestly i think , if they posted and showed more of the engine upgrade , people would lean towards the new engine's style , because for now there's just most pictures of RTW than the engine upgrade so it can't be compared really well.

Edited by Ketog
  • Like 5

The engine upgrade if you actually look at it looks like a better RTW apb.

Currently APB looks like crap because of g1 and their poor idea of what optimization looks like and turned it into a dingy colorless game

The engine upgrade appears to bring a little bit of the old RTW back while allowing some areas to remain dingy.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Ketog said:

G1's engine upgrade style is by far my favorite , RTW's one had a good feel , but it also looked old , with that time when devloppers used to overbloom things with bright colors

Im not saying g1's one is perfect but it was (for once) something that players asked and it was well made in my opinon , no blurred textures on cars and clothes , no more blue tint , no more overbloomed lights , it looked good imo .

(and even when i take a look at the engine upgrade myself using the engine upgrade client that g1 made publicly avaliable without knowing 😂 the game looks great)

it was very good in my opinon

Honestly i think , if they posted and showed more of the engine upgrade , people would lean towards the new engine's style , because for now there's just most pictures of RTW than the engine upgrade so it can't be compared really well.

I thought that RTW did their bloom perfectly. Mainly because they got things to bloom without clipping to white. The sky had a nice bloom, but still retained 100% detail. If you look at the engine upgrade and current APB, the bloom in the sky comes at the cost of losing detail. I think right now RTW and engine 3.5 are at the same level, but if engine 3.5 had the saturation fixed so things wouldn't clip to white, and changed the circle bloom to the cross shaped anamorphic bloom RTW used, it would be perfect.

• Like 3

Even the LOD's look better in those comparison pictures. For instance, look at the football shaped building in the background. The lines on the building look more defined as well as the textures. I've actually often wondered if at one point they'd ever consider increasing the max spotting range at 125m instead of 100..? So then you could balance guns around the new draw distance increase. I'm actually curious how much more progress in terms of textures, lighting, ambient occlusion, AA has been done ever since these last comparison pictures. 

It makes me wonder also at some point in the future if Little Orbit will hire a third party company to re-do the assets of everything in APB in higher detail or will they consider undertaking that task themselves? Maybe they could even think about approaching NVIDIA at some point about implementing hairworks into APB or some other proprietary technologies that NVIDIA are showing off. 

Edited by AgentWatson

1 hour ago, AgentWatson said:

Even the LOD's look better in those comparison pictures. For instance, look football shaped building in the background. The lines on the building look more defined as well as the textures. I've actually often wondered if at one point they'd ever consider increasing the max spotting range at 125m instead of 100..? So then you could balance guns around the new draw distance increase. I'm actually curious how much more progress in terms of textures, lighting, ambient occlusion, AA has been done ever since these last comparison pictures. 

It makes me wonder at some point in the future if Little Orbit will hire a third party company to re-do the assets of everything in APB in higher detail or will they consider undertaking that task themselves? Maybe they could even think about approaching NVIDIA at some point about implementing hairworks into APB or some other proprietary technologies that NVIDIA are showing off. 

I mean they did say they wanted to update the look of APB in terms of quality. Doing a pass on all the models is kind of essential for that. I could definitely see APB getting a few major visual upgrades so it looks current gen in the hopefully not so far off future

i find the new g1 upgrade better but i want that nice guns sounds from RTW back! and the blue gunfire!

4 hours ago, Ketog said:

oh wow that additional bus stops and phonebooth(?) though. it looks really neat.

Not really a fan of the engine upgrade graphics, everythings so oversaturated, many buildings have been retextured into bright colors, there's palm trees growing out of concrete - AT A SHIPPING DOCK!

Not to mention that the game looks absolutely awful now that they removed the baked shadows, so there are absolutely no shadows under the bridge in financial or inside buildings, because that whole thing is a "shadow" already.

• Like 2

to hell with the art style, just give us a decent anti-cheat.

2 minutes ago, Pedroxin said:

to hell with the art style, just give us a decent anti-cheat.

When do people learn that people have certain fields they're employed in? The dude managing the anti cheat systems isn't going to do anything regarding graphics or the art style.

12 minutes ago, GhosT said:

there's palm trees growing out of concrete - AT A SHIPPING DOCK!

I can clearly see you don't live in an island , at my house i have a palm tree growing on a rock , and at our docks we do have palm trees exactly in this configuration .

it might sound absurd to you , but palm trees can really grow anywhere

Edited by Ketog
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ketog said:

I can clearly see you don't live in an island , at my house i have a palm tree growing on a rock , and at our docks we do have palm trees exactly in this configuration .

But it's a shipping dock, and they're perfectly aligned so people have obviously put them there.

And that's one of those shipping docks that look like man created concrete islands, without any nature under it.

4 minutes ago, Ketog said:

I mean it's purely an aesthetic thing. They're called islands, just housings for plants. They build a closed wall, fill it with nutrient rich soil and stick pre-grown trees or whatever in there. You see this a ton in the desert, especially in rich neighborhoods

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GhosT said:

But it's a shipping dock, and they're perfectly aligned so people have obviously put them there.

And that's one of those shipping docks that look like man created concrete islands, without any nature under it.

yes ?

1 minute ago, Ketog said:

yes ?

Yes?

It doesn't make any sense to put palm trees on such a shipping dock, nor does it look good imo.

1 minute ago, GhosT said:

Yes?

It doesn't make any sense to put palm trees on such a shipping dock, nor does it look good imo.

idk , it seems normal to me

those are images i found online , but you can see that docks where i am are indeed man made islands with vegetation added on it , we can see it a bit on the pictures , but sadly i didn't find a pic of those palm trees

IMGP0115.jpgsaint_pierre_le_port_010003.jpg

EDIT: actually i found one 7949624-12358111.jpg?v=1435238082

• Like 1

Another video to remember:

This time from social.