Sign in to follow this  
MattScott

End of First Quarter update blog

Hi everyone,

I have put up my blog for the month. Apologies for running behind. My travel schedule was aggressive this month.

EDIT: I also recognize this update has a lot of ‘almost there language’. But I felt it was better to socialize where we are now rather than keep waiting to post an update.

https://www.gamersfirst.com/apb/news/2019/3/22/end-of-first-quarter-review

Thanks,

Matt

• Like 23
  • Thanks 10

Nice, can't wait to see the 3.5 upgrade make it's way onto the official clients. I'll be interested in trying out RIOT mode eventually too.

Keep up the good work LO! I'm just patiently waiting for the big reveal.

As soon as that is done, I will post some screenshots, benchmarks, and timing for public tests.

alright... #LetsWaitSomeMore

• Like 1

I'm really curious how this update will turn out for APB. For DBD going to UE 4.21 was a disaster however that dev team is special. 

Awesome news. Can't wait for RHIOT and the engine upgrade.

• Like 1

I wanted to get the new engine into the hands of players on OTW in February, but we hit a fairly significant snag in the Multithreaded Rendering code. Ultimately we scrapped what was there and completely re-wrote it. We now have most of that working, but there is some work to consolidate code between PS4 and XB1/PC.

(Slightly technical) Curious question - is that the Multithreaded Rendering that DX11 does (immediate context/deferred context) Or is it some other method? There's the mention of consolidating between console and PC but from what I've read, PS4/XB1 use a whole different style of multithreaded rendering (which DX11 doesn't support afaik)

Gonna be interesting to see that play out since DX11 multithreaded rendering doesn't get mentioned much as being the popular solution...

It'll be interesting to see the end of the ARG. I've fallen into that rabbit hole, now I want to see the end.

3 minutes ago, Nite said:

(Slightly technical) Curious question - is that the Multithreaded Rendering that DX11 does (immediate context/deferred context) Or is it some other method? There's the mention of consolidating between console and PC but from what I've read, PS4/XB1 use a whole different style of multithreaded rendering (which DX11 doesn't support afaik)

Gonna be interesting to see that play out since DX11 multithreaded rendering doesn't get mentioned much as being the popular solution...

It’s actually three different implementations (PC/XB1/PS4) that all need to fit the Unreal interface. PC has been updated to use the DX11 immediate/deferred pipeline that didn’t exist in Unreal 3. 

• Thanks 3

Please stop calling it a reveal. There are no screenshots of the game mode, no explanation of how it works or a release date... 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MattScott said:

It’s actually three different implementations (PC/XB1/PS4) that all need to fit the Unreal interface. PC has been updated to use the DX11 immediate/deferred pipeline that didn’t exist in Unreal 3. 

So can you share performance details with us? Obviously it's not completely refined yet, but it'd be nice to know how new-engined APB runs on a modern computer.

EDIT: Also thank you for doing an ARG. Reloaded G1 would have never put time into this.

Edited by IROCkiller
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, MattScott said:

Ahh, I see. Thanks for the reply!

"We have been working hard sine May last year to do something big for the community, and this first big step needs to contain something for everyone"

This has to be a joke right?
Not that I think its bad that you want to provide content with the new engine upgrade, BUT:

You guys buy the game and first thing you go for is adding a new game mode while breaking most of the core mechanics that worked for years in this game: Car radar, Crosshair jittering, 144+ fps sliding bug, Break some attack missions with vandalize (Double cameras and store fronts that are breakable only with cars) and rejoining asylum from lobby causes missing some names of your team, object points or item.
I dont know what is going on behind the scenes but at this point it just looks like you dont even care that you broke core stuff in this game and not even a single fix on the sight. 
with 600 Citadel pop, with this game mode you are just trying to make it NA #2. Its already hard enough to get 2 full silver mission districts running as it is, With this new game mode you guys are going make it that we will struggle even to get 1 full silver mission district running.

maybe I am just dumb but those are my 2 cents.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, cheater said:

"We have been working hard sine May last year to do something big for the community, and this first big step needs to contain something for everyone"

This has to be a joke right?
Not that I think its bad that you want to provide content with the new engine upgrade, BUT:

You guys buy the game and first thing you go for is adding a new game mode while breaking most of the core mechanics that worked for years in this game: Car radar, Crosshair jittering, 144+ fps sliding bug, Break some attack missions with vandalize (Double cameras and store fronts that are breakable only with cars) and rejoining asylum from lobby causes missing some names of your team, object points or item.
I dont know what is going on behind the scenes but at this point it just looks like you dont even care that you broke core stuff in this game and not even a single fix on the sight. 
with 600 Citadel pop, with this game mode you are just trying to make it NA #2. Its already hard enough to get 2 full silver mission districts running as it is, With this new game mode you guys are going make it that we will struggle even to get 1 full silver mission district running.

maybe I am just dumb but those are my 2 cents.

Is joining Asylum causing it? Good to know...

Just now, FluttershyI said:

Is joining Asylum causing it? Good to know...

Asylum or Baylan, it happens on both.

Thanks for the update.

Glad to hear things are moving along.

As @IROCkiller stated, are there any plans on releasing performance benchmarks for the PC version ?

I'm not too sure about this whole idea of "seasons"... I don't really need the fortnite treatment for APB... just push out updates as they're ready... no need to theme them or give them certain time frames...

also, I'm not too sure about RIOT... APB population is small, and maybe (even after the engine update hits and summit1G might bring some "hype" back into the game) there'll not be enough players to properly fill action districts AND RIOT.

all in all, I'm excited for the future, but not very optimistic.
I don't want APB to fail, but it's age is showing and the engine update does only little.

it might sound stupid, but I think it's time for APB 2 (built from ground up) (SOON™).

It seems like a small console update is already ready, are there any plans to submit it to Microsoft anytime soon?

1 hour ago, IROCkiller said:

So can you share performance details with us? Obviously it's not completely refined yet, but it'd be nice to know how new-engined APB runs on a modern computer.

54 minutes ago, Westford said:

As @IROCkiller stated, are there any plans on releasing performance benchmarks for the PC version ?

You guys might've missed this part.

We now have most of that working, but there is some work to consolidate code between PS4 and XB1/PC. The only other major task is to migrate all the content from 1.19 and RIOT mode, which has already started. As soon as that is done, I will post some screenshots, benchmarks, and timing for public tests.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Snubnose said:

I'm not too sure about this whole idea of "seasons"... I don't really need the fortnite treatment for APB... just push out updates as they're ready... no need to theme them or give them certain time frames...

also, I'm not too sure about RIOT... APB population is small, and maybe (even after the engine update hits and summit1G might bring some "hype" back into the game) there'll not be enough players to properly fill action districts AND RIOT.

all in all, I'm excited for the future, but not very optimistic.
I don't want APB to fail, but it's age is showing and the engine update does only little.

it might sound stupid, but I think it's time for APB 2 (built from ground up) (SOON™).

the engine update will do 'little' in terms of making the game look up to par with others, however they're planning on migrating to UE4 at some point... that doesn't mean they cannot do graphical wonders with the UE3 version they're migrating to, UE3 is still a very capable engine

APB cost appx. 100 million+ $ to make, including the long and tedious, irresponsible process of development and the development hell, which means that an effective and streamlined development process would cost them millions, if not dozens of millions... APB is a more complex game than people can imagine, it'd mean hiring a lot of people of different backgrounds... what I'd like to see is to have the devs improve upon APB once the migration is over - increase polygon count, details, add more interiors, higher texture resolution, cool shaders, animations... that'd mean buffing up their artistic departments, and that's the least important job currently for Little Orbit, but here's hopin

Edited by Lokislav

5 hours ago, MattScott said:

But I felt it was better to socialize where we are now rather than keep waiting to post an update.

Good thought, keep thinking like that.  We've had enough silence, so even if its a lot of "not yet" thats fine.

I can't say I've agreed with everything LO has done, both in-game and with certain parts of the community, but you guys are clearly trying. You've had some hiccups (some bigger than others), and some mistakes were made. 

But the point is you're still trying really really hard to make APB a better experience for everyone. 

I appreciate everything. I appreciate all of you.

Much LOve for Little Orbit 😄

(heh)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vfterlife said:

Thank for easter egg, Matt! 

news-16.jpg?v=53700-101

p.s: 

Oops. Good catch! 

This shot got uploaded as a placeholder while it was being photoshopped with the article name over it. Ultimately I was in meetings off site and not reachable to approve the final header, so the team went with the old ‘Progress Update’ header.

I’ll have to remember how savvy our players are and cover our tracks better in the future. 🙂

• Like 3

We needed a shorter term way to support the new engine with new content that rolls out in 2 month season increments.

Thank for Battle Pass, Matt! 

p.s:

rofl

Sign in to follow this