mtz

Should the GamersFirst brand be retired?

Should Little Orbit stay with the GamersFirst brand or distance themselves from it?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Should Little Orbit stay with the GamersFirst brand or distance themselves from it?

• I think LO should stay with the brand
    • I think LO should distance themselves from the brand

Let me preface this thread by saying that I am not pushing for any particular motion in here. All I want in here is to see other people's opinions on the subject, since I've been kind of thinking about it recently. This thread is not meant to try to persuade Little Orbit into making any decisions, but initiate a discussion.

---

(If I remember correctly,) it has been stated in the past by Matt Scott that there are no plans to move away from the GamersFirst brand, as the name does represent the company's values - their customer base and their satisfaction are the most important.

However, the name "GamersFirst" still has very negative connotations with a noticeable segment of the community. It has been used as the running name for the people who have made a lot of questionable decisions regarding APB and, according to some, have greatly contributed to the game's decline in popularity and quality, nearly killing the game altogether through negligence. To the apparent majority, "GamersFirst" as a brand means several years of false promises, bad decisions, and awful leadership.

I myself am also slightly guilty of this kind of thinking. Whenever I discuss APB-related topics with my friends, I emphasize the difference between what it used to be and what it is now, differentiating between "pre-buyout GamersFirst" and "GamersFirst under LO". On that note, some of my friends are very reluctant to pick up the game, citing all the negative press the game has received in the past, and all the negative things they have heard about the company and the state of the game.

This also ties in to a slightly different, but still related, issue of the game's title. The name shift from All Points Bulletin to APB: Reloaded when the game went free-to-play was meant to signify that it is being produced by a new team, with the subtitle "Reloaded" promising a new age, or a second chance for the game. This begs the question: should a new name, or a new subtitle, be given to the game after Little Orbit's takeover?

Similar to the "Reloaded" subtitle, a rebranding could indicate a radical shift in the game's direction. It could potentially signify to the general public that the game is moving on and avoiding stagnation. However, on the other hand, it could just as well be seen as a futile effort to distance the game from its notoriously shabby past.

I suppose I'll conclude the post by going back to the original point: Should Little Orbit distance themselves from the GamersFirst brand and restart with a relatively clean slate, or should they try to fix its reputation through proving that its customers do come first as a priority for the company? There are potential upsides and downsides to this decision, and I would love to hear other people's opinions on this subject.

• Like 5

Yes, absolutely.

GamersFirst has a very bad reputation for multiple reasons.

Keeping the name hurts LO because people think GamersFirst is still the owner of APB.

Edited by GhosT
typoö
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, GhosT said:

Yes, absolutely.

GamersFirst has a very bad reputation for mtiple reasons.

Keeping the name hurts LO because people think GamersFirst is still the owner of APB.

I agree gamerfirst should be erased they are the reasons why apb is so bad

It gives bad image to still seeing the name everywhere for returning players

• Like 2

Agreed.

I understand the name has a nice ring to it, and may represent LO's actual mission - but the history associated with the brand is just doing LO no favours.

I wonder if they are sticking with it due to reasons unkown to us, however

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, without hesitation!

Please don't take this wrong, without GamersFirst, APB probably wouldn't exist today, but unfortunately:

• GamersFirst brand is tied with the worse period of APB's life
  • GamersFirst has a very negative reputation as being a company that only cares about money
  • Engine Upgrade is coming and I would like Litle Orbit to take all the credits of it
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Matt already made decision in past to keep G1 name instead of replacing it with LO.

Also change of name would lead to shitton of changes, including change of logo pretty much everywhere, new domain and paperwork with their local bureaucracy - especially because of last part it's more of hassle than pleasure for them so i'm fine with them working under old name. Everybody pretty much know by now that current G1 is in fact LO... right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

38 minutes ago, Mitne said:

Everybody pretty much know by now that current G1 is in fact LO... right?

By the way, yes. Current LO is G1. Now on the site LO is listed Reloaded Productions: http://littleorbit.com/ 
I remember Matt saying that the RP was not part of the purchase ¯ \ _ (ツ) _ / ¯ 
(but if you download the APB from site, for example, the RP logo in the bootloader has changed to the LO logo. What happened recently? LO decided to buy and RP?

Personally, I'm more worried about the name of the game. After updating the engine you need to change it. No one will know that the game has changed, if it will have the old name and logo.

Edited by vfterlife
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

i think they should completely get rid of it to be honest, every time you see people bring up the name "Gamersfirst" they are most of the time talking about negative things.

You talk to a friend about apb reloaded and you want him to come back ? and then what you hear from him is "Wait the website is still under Gamersfirst, wasn't it bought by a new company ?" and you always have to explain to the guy that LO bought G1 , this shouldn't be something that you have to explain , it should be clear that the game is moving on from it's awful past .

4 hours ago, MartinPL said:

This also ties in to a slightly different, but still related, issue of the game's title. The name shift from All Points Bulletin to APB: Reloaded when the game went free-to-play was meant to signify that it is being produced by a new team, with the subtitle "Reloaded" promising a new age, or a second chance for the game. This begs the question: should a new name, or a new subtitle, be given to the game after Little Orbit's takeover?

Similar to the "Reloaded" subtitle, a rebranding could indicate a radical shift in the game's direction. It could potentially signify to the general public that the game is moving on and avoiding stagnation. However, on the other hand, it could just as well be seen as a futile effort to distance the game from its notoriously shabby past.

This is very very true, i personally think that name of the game should just go back to All Point Bulletin to show that the game is trying to go back to it's core concept and ideas .

Edited by Ketog
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

burn it tbh.

G1 is probably just bad propaganda for LO and its games. 

I understand that replacing everything that has GamersFirst or G1 on it is a lot of seemingly unnecessary work, but doing so will help the game a little more to regain a playerbase.

Older players that left APB (and that are a LOT of players) won't come back until they see that GamersFirst is gone, and due to previous circumstances with G1 they won't dig deep enough to find out that GamersFirst is no more and the name is just being used by a new company.

Though I don't know if there's a contract between RP/G1 and LO considering APB hasn't really been bought off of G1, and some G1 people are still part of APB.

Nontheless,

GamersFirst bad

Little Orbit good

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

before anyone thinks about removing G1, at least complete the engine upgrade and shit.

Because once you remove G1, people will come back assuming something actually changed, and if nothing has, they will then uninstall and never look back lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Matt also has a point of actually putting Gamers First now, and so far it's working

Still doesn't change the fact that the name is just dirt on something that should be clean.

It's impossible to fix the bad reputation GamersFirst built up in 7 years.

I mean, they even managed to get popular as "MoneyFirst", "WalletsFirst" or "CheatersFirst". So that's something.

Edited by GhosT
  • Thanks 2

Yes absolutely.  At this point the GamersFirst name carries nothing but negativity and a shitty history.  They also need to break that out of place "Reloaded" off of the title.

g1 was the modern day equivalent of the black plague, little orbit came in and cured what was left of a disease ridden wasteland

• Like 2

Gamersfirst was always considered being a bad company since the early 2012 days with Warrock. They should def drop the name.

Can we get a "makes no difference to me" option?

Cuz I honestly couldn't pick between the two choices given. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

Can we get a "makes no difference to me" option?

Cuz I honestly couldn't pick between the two choices given. 

Why do the SPCT express their loyalty in ANY question?)))

Edited by vfterlife

1 hour ago, vfterlife said:

idk sometimes they backseat moderate too lol

I would have liked to have seen a third option also.

I do not care.

Makes no difference to me.

giphy.gif

8 hours ago, vfterlife said:

Thats some broken english, what are you trying to say?

I've written it on multiple other similar posts that they should not only get rid of "GamersFirst" as a name but also rebrand the game to "All Points Bulletin'" again, everywhere. Ditch the Reloaded part and go back to the roots. So yes, definitely they should ditch it imo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So when does the thread burning start?

(shoe burning...)

G1 is the house LO are the new tenants names mean *notverymuch all.

Name changes aren't worth the confusion it would cause.

3 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

Thats some broken english, what are you trying to say?

You are static. None of you say yes or no on some question. You are always neutral, as if you have no opinion. 0 initiatives. 

i really wouldnt expect cookie to bother saying anything or have a legitimate opinion on stuff he dont care about.