blockblack

Is my PC bad or the game needs an engine update?

My PC specs are: Core i3 3.5 ghz GPU and 8GB ram and 2GB Vram... And I could BAREEEEEEELYYYYYYYYY run the game on 30 fps at lowest settings... this game was made in 2010... any I can play games made in 2016 with maximum fps on max graphics without problems.... Anyone knows why the game lags on even medium PCs?

whats ur gpu

and apb i think uses one core thats y its shit

its a 32 bit program lol

you probably need a better gpu

Although this blog post is rather dated, I think it is still very relevant considering APB is still on Unreal Engine 3.0.

Optimization Magic

February 17, 2013

/TechMech

This means all the processing in a single district happens on a single core and in a single thread.

Why does all this single-threaded-ness matter to us? Well, it turns out that most of the performance gains in recent years in server processors from Intel and AMD have NOT come from performing more computations on a single core, but rather to have many parallel cores performing parallel tasks. Sadly for APB Reloaded, that type of parallel task division does not improve individual district performance... But... there is hope...

I thought I should add this blog post by Matt Scott concerning performance.

Updates On APB Development Progress

November 21, 2018

As it has been mentioned before, I don't think this is going to be a massive upgrade visually. Some players may not even notice. However Unreal 3.5 is built for 64-bit systems, and it has a multithreaded renderer, so my hope is that it will take advantage of newer GPUs and computers.

Edited by Westford

37 minutes ago, blockblack said:

My PC specs are: Core i3 3.5 ghz GPU and 8GB ram and 2GB Vram... And I could BAREEEEEEELYYYYYYYYY run the game on 30 fps at lowest settings... this game was made in 2010... any I can play games made in 2016 with maximum fps on max graphics without problems.... Anyone knows why the game lags on even medium PCs?

what GPU are you...talking about exactly?

With 2gb vram i doubt you can run the latest games at max. Switch that gpu out please 

It's the game. i7 4930k @ 4.6ghz OC / 32gb RAM / GTX 1070ti / GTX 780 OC here and APB can't maintain a stable fps.

Meanwhile i can play the Division 2 on Ultra++ 1080p@60fps having no issues.

EU 3.5 coming soon tho. So maybe improvements?

28 minutes ago, _chain said:

With 2gb vram i doubt you can run the latest games at max. Switch that gpu out please 

yeah, unless he's talking about 720p

it's both. he's probably just using the integrated graphics of his cpu - and probably it's a notebook too with a turbo clock

of 3.6ghz - normally running at something like 1.6ghz - that throttles down to this after a couple seconds of workload too due to cooling that wasn't intended for gaming

3 minutes ago, Fasalina said:

It's the game. i7 4930k @ 4.6ghz OC / 32gb RAM / GTX 1070ti / GTX 780 OC here and APB can't maintain a stable fps.

Meanwhile i can play the Division 2 on Ultra++ 1080p@60fps having no issues.

EU 3.5 coming soon tho. So maybe improvements?

you're doing something wrong then. it should run fine except for the occasional garbagecollection-stutter or particle effect related one (which you can limit in advanced launcher)... (32gb ddr3 are still just 3gb ddr3 to apb, so it's barely worth mentioning, op is fine with 8gb)

it is definitely badly optimized - but it ran perfectly fine on a i7 3770 + gtx 660 (even max but only 60fps then). 

mind you, i'm still getting the occasional stutter on i7 8770k @ 5.0 + gtx 1080 ti - which can bd attributed to the two aforementioned reasons

wait, are you using the gtx 780 as a physx card? xd

APB is known for having bad optimization and poor performance ... 

20 minutes ago, neophobia said:

you're doing something wrong then. it should run fine except for the occasional garbagecollection-stutter or particle effect related one (which you can limit in advanced launcher)... (32gb ddr3 are still just 3gb ddr3 to apb, so it's barely worth mentioning, op is fine with 8gb)

it is definitely badly optimized - but it ran perfectly fine on a i7 3770 + gtx 660 (even max but only 60fps then). 

mind you, i'm still getting the occasional stutter on i7 8770k @ 5.0 + gtx 1080 ti - which can bd attributed to the two aforementioned reasons

wait, are you using the gtx 780 as a physx card? xd

It's the stutter yeah, but its a hell of a lot more than occasional. Timed that stutter down and its happening once every minute or 2 here.

And no, im not using the 780 as a dedicated physx card. xD

Triple 1080p monitor setup. Got 1 monitor running of the 780 and the other 2 on the 1070ti.

Stutter occurs on both cards tho. Doesn't change in frequency either. So my guess it's related to APB using only 1 cpu core. Can't clock it higher either, stablest i could get it 4.6ghz. Even went as far to test if i could get it higher by disable cores / threads but alas.

2 hours ago, Lato said:

512 MB GPU is recommended

Even I got lower GPU than OP and pretty stable gameplay right here (despite being on low).

I think APB just age poorly. 2010 hardware works perfectly for it - so ideal GPU honestly would be from 2010 period and not just "better".

Although I would ask him to wait up with all upgrades to EU 3.5 which is soonTM.

Edited by Mitne

1 hour ago, Fasalina said:

It's the stutter yeah, but its a hell of a lot more than occasional. Timed that stutter down and its happening once every minute or 2 here.

If it's happening consistently every minute then it's garbage collection.  If I remember correctly it happens every 60 seconds by default.  For that I'd recommend installing APB on a solid state if you have one, but if not then turn off indexing on your hard drive if you haven't already.

Edited by BrandonBranderson
  • Thanks 1

It’s the game. I have the game installed on ssd with 16gb of dual channel RAM, with 6GB vRAM - still freezing, textures won’t loading at spawn, huge FPS drops in a second (-20/30fps). I have 55-70fps average on max in any other online games which I play: BF1, Apex Legends, SWBFII, Ring of Elysium, PUBG. No freezes, no laggy, no huge FPS drops.

i7@3.4GHz

8*2 DDR4@2666Mhz

GTX 1060 6GB

20-25% usage under APB (CPU/GPU), 5800mb’s of RAM. This game can’t use more resources.

6 hours ago, _chain said:

Why need max settings though? the extra fps by turning stuff down a bit imo is better 😛

Without buying a graphics card to add to your computer , it means you are using the integrated graphics which is the ones built into the motherboard.

For gaming this would not work and you would need a graphics card to install into your computer as well.

A Geforce GTX 1050 ti graphics card would work and is affordable for most people and would probably give you 60 fps or better for APB.

Although if you can afford a graphics card better than this I would recommend to do so.

19 minutes ago, Sergsininia said:

Why need max settings though? the extra fps by turning stuff down a bit imo is better 😛

Some people don't like potato quality.

1 hour ago, Fasalina said:

Some people don't like potato quality.

didn't necessarily say potato quality, differences between "high" and "max" haven't really separated. High looks just as good, and pretty much performs much better.

if ya don't like potato quality, don't use a potato to play, pretty simple.

1 hour ago, Sergsininia said:

I'm not a sweat, so i don't need that little extra bit of reaction time.

Personally I like to find the balance, fiddle with the settings and once I hit the stable 60 or 120 fps (depending on what i'm playing) I'm good

12 hours ago, blockblack said:

Need more details. Which i3, which GPU? We also have no idea what you mean by maximum fps. 60, 120. 9000 fps? I know for sure any GPU with only 2GB VRAM would struggle to run the latest games over 60fps with max graphics. The best would be a GTX 960 or GTX 1050. They will run APB at 100fps on 1080p regardless.

8 hours ago, BrandonBranderson said:

If it's happening consistently every minute then it's garbage collection.  If I remember correctly it happens every 60 seconds by default.  For that I'd recommend installing APB on a solid state if you have one, but if not then turn off indexing on your hard drive if you haven't already.

A solid state drive only helps for the first few minutes after loading into a district, after that you're at the mercy of the garbage collector being overwhelmed by memory leaks.

15 hours ago, _chain said:

APB using 490-600MBs of vRAM in @1080p

2 hours ago, PACwoMAN said:

APB using 490-600MBs of vRAM in @1080p

Cool. So? 

On 3/20/2019 at 1:10 PM, Lato said:

no apb is mostly CPU Depended if i change my 1070 to a 560 ti the fps will be literary the same. Don't spouse non sense with out any knowledge.

I would say a CPU upgrade would be better i don't know what series your on but even the 2e gen i5/i7 are very capable of running apb at 100+ Fps with a good overclock to 4.5 GHZ. Or you should take a look at the new Intel i5 generation CPU's. Apb is not GPU depended at the moment maybe that the engine upgrade will change that but who knows until it's really released..

Edited by Gateron