Sign in to follow this  
HardStyler3

DDos problems possible solution from steam?

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamworks#announcements/detail/1791775741704351698

Today steam released a new api to give devs the ability to use steams DDos protection and other network features. 

Could this possibly be integrated to fix the ddos issues the has to deal with on a regular basis? 

• Like 1

That's only for titles which use Steamworks for networking features. APB doesnt use it, as far as I know.

6 hours ago, Fuechslein said:

That's only for titles which use Steamworks for networking features. APB doesnt use it, as far as I know.

Might give Little Orbit some ideas on what else  to try doing  though.

AHAHAHA. If this will be as reliable as Steam itself then it will be really worthy protection.

i mean if you are integrated into steams network you are basically invulnerable because you need a massive attack to get that network under fire

maybe they could implement it with the engine upgrade or something

2 hours ago, HardStyler3 said:

i mean if you are integrated into steams network you are basically invulnerable because you need a massive attack to get that network under fire

maybe they could implement it with the engine upgrade or something

except when it goes down for 4h every other week... guess not as dreadful as constantly ddosed servers but still

edit: nvm was... wrong, the actual things they promise sound pretty good.

i was under the impression that there'd still be an issue since steam still exposes the servers ip (that would be hosted externally either way and thus probably vulnerable)

- which lead to ddoses of dota gameservers in the past - but... apparently not. seems great!

Edited by neophobia

22 minutes ago, neophobia said:

except when it goes down for 4h every other week... guess not as dreadful as constantly ddosed servers but still

issue is, even with steamworks - you'd still have to host servers yourself, obviously, and those could be ddosed just like before. steam doesn't do this (and if they would, certainly not cheap)

...and thus, it would make 0 difference from current state.

the only thing it might change would be if login servers or something would always be ddosed, that could probably be circumvented like this.

but:

the server ips are still exposed (as you can see in dota2 - some players used to ddos the specific gameserver they were on if they were losing to null the records of said game)

the other way of using steamworks... would be p2p connections. and certainly you wouldn't want apb p2p - especially with steamworks

(try e.g. playing terraria over steam and then with direct connections or even something like hamachi/tunngle - the lag/desync issues become insane (at least in some cases - well recorded in steam reviews though)

of course there are games where it does work perfectly fine though - i just wouldn't sell it as the perfect solution)

so you basically contradict everything that steam is saying?? i dont believe that

Relaying your game traffic over our network gives you several benefits.

First, relaying traffic anonymizes it, protecting both gameservers and clients from denial-of-service attacks. Furthermore, because routing decisions are made dynamically by the client, if a relay becomes unavailable, clients can switch to a different relay within seconds, perhaps at a different point-of-presence if necessary. For an attacker to disrupt gameplay, they must mount an attack large enough to overwhelm multiple data centers.

Second, clients can select a route that gets off of the public Internet and onto our dedicated links as early as possible. On our backbone we can ensure that the routing is optimal, since we have peered with over 2,500 ISPs. We also prioritize the latency-sensitive game traffic over HTTP content downloads, which we can afford to do because game traffic makes up a relatively small percentage of our overall bandwidth utilization. And on our backbone, a sudden surge of traffic unrelated to gaming won’t degrade the experience.

Finally, by relaying the traffic in software, we can often improve the ping time! 
How can a relayed route be faster than a direct route? The Internet is a packet-switched network; there is no such thing as a “direct” route. When a packet is sent “directly” to the remote host's IP address, it takes the route determined by standard IP routing protocols. This route is often not optimal! Our protocol puts the client in charge of routing decisions. The client considers each relay point-of-presence, and determines the end-to-end latency along this route. It then selects the route with the lowest latency.

Giving clients their choice of route makes a difference surprisingly often. Based on a sample of 16M connections from unique client IP addresses to dedicated servers in our data centers:

43% of players experienced an improvement in their ping time.

25% of players experienced an improvement of 10ms or more

10% of players experienced an improvement of 40ms or more.

1 hour ago, HardStyler3 said:

so you basically contradict everything that steam is saying?? i dont believe that

snip

i've edited my post (an hour ago, just before you posted - again now because it was still a bit vage), haven't read properly before (i've stopepd after new api tbh xd) and thought this was just about steams new platform-wide trustfactor measures

actually seems very good!

only point that still stands is that steam tends to go down at times too - but it's definitely better than than constantly laggy servers due to ddos

https://twitter.com/SteamStatus has a good backlog

Edited by neophobia

On 3/17/2019 at 3:09 PM, neophobia said:

i've edited my post (an hour ago, just before you posted - again now because it was still a bit vage), haven't read properly before (i've stopepd after new api tbh xd) and thought this was just about steams new platform-wide trustfactor measures

actually seems very good!

only point that still stands is that steam tends to go down at times too - but it's definitely better than than constantly laggy servers due to ddos

https://twitter.com/SteamStatus has a good backlog

yeah but the 4hours it goes down is for steam maintenance and should not affect the servers itself right steam games are not usually down at that time atleast i cant remember them being

I asked Matt about this in January on Twitter and he responded: (I'm assuming what I asked back then is the same thing the OP is asking about)

6 hours ago, orangesherbet said:

I asked Matt about this in January on Twitter and he responded: (I'm assuming what I asked back then is the same thing the OP is asking about)

from what ive read this is right but there is way more information about it out now and the complete integration and featureset which wasnt available back then so he should take a look again 

On 3/16/2019 at 3:02 PM, Clandestine said:

AHAHAHA. If this will be as reliable as Steam itself then it will be really worthy protection.

Not sure what you are talking about... Steam works perfectly fine 99.9% of the time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sniperturtle said:

Not sure what you are talking about... Steam works perfectly fine 99.9% of the time.

Not for me and my friends. Also games that depend on steam to login are down very often.

Sign in to follow this