hateweaver

Trying to be a returning player - colorblind support

I played this game at original launch, then at Gamersfirst launch - 1000s of hours in it, 100s of dollars.  I'm excited about what the new owners are doing and want to come back.

However there appears to still be no colorblind support.  It was hard for me to play 5 years ago, now its worse (because I'm teh oldz).

I really only need ONE thing here - to be able to change the colors of player names above their heads

That's it! That one simple thing would let me play the game.

As it is right now, particularly when it is daylight in-game - I cannot tell the difference between Yellow Friendlies - and Red Enemies.

The only thing I can try to do is memorize my teammates names when the mission starts - obviously this screws my reaction time when in a fight.

I'm fine with it being a $50 Armas charge - I'd pay it just to be able to come back to what is (hopefully) a new rebirth for the game.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, hateweaver said:

I'm fine with it being a $50 Armas charge - I'd pay it just to be able to come back to what is (hopefully) a new rebirth for the game.

Charging for gameplay changes isn't LO things, as it's been said 3004 times , Nothing tangible until Engine upgrade 3.5.

I believe configs can change player name colors "advance apb launcher" might have those settings.

41 minutes ago, Zolerox said:

Charging for gameplay changes isn't LO things, as it's been said 3004 times , Nothing tangible until Engine upgrade 3.5.

I believe configs can change player name colors "advance apb launcher" might have those settings.

You would need to edit config files. advanced launcher is all about graphical changes, not UI or color pallete changes.

This person's video goes through all the options in the launcher - I didn't see nameplate colors (or anything like that) in there.

But thanks for the pointer! 🙂

I'm very familiar with UE3 ini files - but those aren't UE3 default UI widgets, so I'd need to know the name of them to find them (and the dev would have had to put the color set option in the ini file instead of just setting it code/uScript directly).

I'll keep digging around though - thanks for the replies!

Try messing with your monitor's settings. Something like red/green hue.

9 hours ago, hateweaver said:

really only need ONE thing here - to be able to change the colors of player names above their heads

Excuse me. not a doctor.  SQBhcJ82Vx.jpg

Try messing with your monitor's settings. the invisible spectrum of colors is a problem that is highly individual for each case .

Edited by Yood

9 minutes ago, Yood said:

not a doctor.

where my brain went.

Sorry

2 minutes ago, Nanometic said:

where my brain went.

Sorry

veterinarian brain busy ....

Edited by Yood

I believe using config files will not work.

If you are running Windows 10, you may want to check out the color blind options it comes with for now.

I haven't tried it myself yet but it might work out for you.

Edited by Speedz

Sadly, no configs can change the colors of the names above players' heads, because they are hardcoded. The game itself has no support for colorblindness at all. There might be some way to change the monitor settings/system graphical settings but that's about it.

I have been saying that we need much more customizable HUD/UI in APB after the Engine Upgrade and that is not only limited to being able to recolor every element of the UI but also resize, enable/disable, add transparency, reposition freely anywhere you want, etc. We also need to be able to customize the crosshairs just like in CS:GO and Quake. While I do think that colorblind setting presets must also be included, that should not stop them from making everything in the UI fully customizable (even "in-game UI" such as player names and their color).

Plus, I think that they must make it an option where any mission HUD markers become like 10%-20% opacity when you look in their general direction to avoid not being able to aim at enemies just because the marker is appearing on top of the enemy player. Same thing goes for the teammate name tags through the wall in Fight Club. These things are generally annoying a lot of people and get in the way of normal gameplay.

You're not able to change a color of nameplates, only killfeed. However you can use sweetfx or some kind of shaders for example making the game full grey except nameplates

Ask Tobii, he can help you to configure, he's a good guy

Edited by Lign

Hey I remember you, asking for this on the old forum years ago!  Sucks that they never got around to it.  Maybe Little Orbit will help out this time instead of it just getting ignored again.  The engine upgrade doesn't seem to be myth anymore considering there's some community members currently testing it, so maybe it can be implemented after the upgrade?

• Like 2

It's my yearly rebump on colorblind !!! 🙂

Again - I can't tell (in daylight missions) the difference between name plate text Yellow (Friendly) and Red (Enemy) - so I end up either holding on shots, or shooting teammates.

If I could custom set those colors - or even if there was just a checkbox for changing one of those to Blue - I could play again.

See you in-game (or here again in 2021)

Edited by hateweaver

1 hour ago, hateweaver said:

It's my yearly rebump on colorblind !!! 🙂

Again - I can't tell (in daylight missions) the difference between name plate text Yellow (Friendly) and Red (Enemy) - so I end up either holding on shots, or shooting teammates.

If I could custom set those colors - or even if there was just a checkbox for changing one of those to Blue - I could play again.

See you in-game (or here again in 2021)

@MattScott

7 minutes ago, Gusvato3080 said:

Does increasing saturation help? if so you could try vibranceGUI

Never seen that before - will try it this evening. Thanks!

• Like 1

Dunno if this will work, but give it a try. Maybe use an alt account for a few minutes just in case cheat detection decides to mess with ya https://www.ryobi-sol.co.jp/visolve/en/

Altering the screen HUE could work as well, and you can do that in your GPU's control panel

To start with - I'm just going to adjust Digital Vibrance manually through the NVidia control panel and see if that makes enough of a difference. I think all that app does (which is nice) is let you activate that setting per application.   I can just change the setting, play and check it, change it back.   

The core of my colorblind is around contrast - like WoW text for item rarity - if there is a Blue item text, and a Purple item text next to each other - NO PROBLEM.  I can tell.

But if you just post one alone and ask "which color is it?" - I can't tell.

So when I see 'light colored' player nameplate text against a light blue sky background - I can't tell if its yellow or red.

Will try this tonight - thanks for the suggestion!

I believe Reshade has some color blind options. Allthough it is safe to use, it might make the UI look really weird. Definitely worth a try tho.

Edited by VanilleKeks

I tried out the Digital Vibrance changes, they *maybe* helped - but it (of course) dials up the vibrance for ALL colors - so it really didn't help.

But it caused me to take a more detailed look - the core issue here is that APB alpha blends those name plates out at range. I don't know why I never noticed this.  And that is completely the issue.

No matter what color adjustments are made - a Yellow at alpha 0.2 is going to be indistinguishable from a Red at 0.2 or a White at 0.2.

Here's two enemies at range. I have no problem seeing the name plates DEFEND in blue - because they have no alpha blend.   Same with my teammate out of visibility range to the left of the screen - zero problem seeing that is yellow.   But those two - maybe red - name plates down by that car, there is no way I can tell what color that is.

A11EAA0214AE486746D17C97AB681827F47F33E4

Here's a teammate on top of my car at close range, it also appears to have some alpha in it.  When by itself (not next to a contrasting color) - its pretty hard for me to see that it is yellow.

E01B4C3A9B4199A2903D3574A957D3FBBE0006CEs

Anyways - thanks all for the suggestions, it sure helped dig out what more of the issue was for me.

Lil Orbit - any chance we can get at option to turn that alpha off for nameplates?

Edited by hateweaver
  • Thanks 1

On 4/19/2020 at 4:32 PM, Kevkof said:

Video timestamp 
S: Exo actually put a good question in the chat, did shotgun crosshairs, are they gonna get fixed.
M: That's gotta get fixed, I think that that got carried over from the console code it's just something we haven't looked at, but I'm not 100% but I believe the crosshairs just need to be fixed.
S: Is there a possibility like in CS:GO we have custom crosshairs you can change so for color blind people it's extremely important. They might not be able to even see the crosshair in the first place well-properly due to their color blindness. Is there a possibility that A. We can edit the crosshair within a certain degree of course to be able to have a personal preference and B. Can we accommodate those who are less fortunate.
M: Yeah, color blindness has come up quite a bit, we have a member of our staff who is color blind so it's something that we talk about when we have time for it. I would put custom crosshairs down the list a bit just because we have so many other pressing critical needs but my hope is that we are at that level doing that kind of work soon because that means we've crossed everything else off our list in terms of matchmaking, phasing, district allocation and a bunch of other things.

Matt is very much aware of it, they even have colorblind people in the staff to remind them when the time comes.

The quote is from the recent Q&A after the engine teasing streams

• Thanks 1

Kevkof - thanks so much.   Even in just for a couple of missions to take screenshots - its still a great game.   Would sure love to see a time where the team gets over the hump of engine/platform stuff - and on to more content dev and support for content dev.   Miss playing it!

Guest Zilsux

Colorblind here as well.

Your case is probably different than mine, but here, I've found some tricks overtime and I hope this works:

With some special applications that can edit your screen color's RBG separately (I use MSI's Dragoncenter Eyerest) you can change the contrast and brightness on specific colors, (Like increasing the brightness or contrast of greens only for example) making them easier to differentiate.

(If you record gameplay with programs such as Shadowplay, It will not pick up MSI's settings, and will record the game normally, so you could even make content without the expense of your recording looking like trash)

Also I've learned to memorize what the enemy is wearing as fast as possible. This doesn't work all the time, specially in seasonal events and fightclub, but it can give you some extra edge.

APB is horrible to play if you can't even tell who the enemy is, hopefully these work for you as much as they have worked for me.

On 3/14/2019 at 6:37 PM, hateweaver said:

As it is right now, particularly when it is daylight in-game - I cannot tell the difference between Yellow Friendlies - and Red Enemies.

The only thing I can try to do is memorize my teammates names when the mission starts - obviously this screws my reaction time when in a fight.

Sadly we have seomthing in common at this point. Those are the things, that kinda helped me to make the game more enjoyable: 

1. Disable bloom (especially when it's daylight )
  2. Using the Advacned APB Launcher or Configs in order to get rid of things, that might distract you, sometimes help as well. Sadly it's still not possible to change the colors of the names.
  3. Playing with premates makes it a lot easier to memorize names and outfits. Ask them to not change their outfits that often during a mission session. As soon as you are used to their outfits, you don't need to focus on names anymore, which obviously will make it easier for you to react faster.
  4. Try to adjust your RGB and saturation settings of your monitor/GPU driver to the point where you feel the most comfortable with.

Afterall we need to be patient untill they release the new engine, which will hopefully come with some settings to make the game actually playable for us 🙂