magik

Road Blocking as a Form of Griefing?

Is Road Blocking a Form of Griefing?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Is it?

• Yes
    • No

Honestly? I love it when people do that.

Multiple people blocking off the main road on Waterfront under the bridge or close to the main fuel station is always nice. It's like the map has been altered and you need to take a different route.

It's a nice change of play. Dumptrucks are a fun part of APB.

If you happen to drive one, you can just ignore everyone and ram through everything.

If you happen to drive into one, it's a little "oh shit" moment and you have to dodge it.

I don't know, random things like this are what makes APB for me. It's something different in the otherwise monotone missions.

I really hope the rumored ghosting while in missions won't be a thing. (so that you can drive through everyone that isn't on your mission.)

That would just take away that little APB randomness that makes the game fun in its own way.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, GhosT said:

Multiple people blocking off the main road on Waterfront under the bridge or close to the main fuel station is always nice. It's like the map has been altered and you need to take a different route.

If you happen to drive one, you can just ignore everyone and ram through everything.

If you happen to drive into one, it's a little "oh shit" moment and you have to dodge it.

I don't know, random things like this are what makes APB for me. It's something different in the otherwise monotone missions.

I really hope the rumored ghosting while in missions won't be a thing. (so that you can drive through everyone that isn't on your mission.)

That would just take away that little APB randomness that makes the game fun in its own way.

I gotta agree with this 100%

It makes "San Paro" alive.

Other than mission, what gameplay interactions are there that contributes to a busy and vibrant district ?

1. Arrests
  2. Raiding
  3. Driving around .. (taking in the sights)
  4. Racing around
  5. P5 / N5 chasedown

I gotta say , NPC pedestrians can be annoying.

Yes, they are suppose to "disperse" and flee, when hearing a car honking.

... but sadly, usually never in time.

Most often, I have some unlucky bank teller flopping around on the hood of my car.

Why don't they clear "the Goddam way" when an Emergency vehicle is blasting their siren. (they just stand there)

Inquiring minds want to know.

The occasional Road Block, or attempted Road Block. is just one more instance, that,

other than NPC traffic, there is life in San Paro,

NOW..

Given that.

If 1 or 2 "as$hats" decide to block an area more than 30min...

I would very much like to see these "Heavy Vehicles" susceptible to all kinds of fire after 30min.

So yeah, you enter a Heavy Vehicle, you have 30 min to wreak your havoc before the vehicle can take damage from all sources.

Cool down ?    (until next vehicle ...   30min)

Welcome to San Paro

EDIT:

I did not vote.

Although this comes under the guise of "Griefing", this one here,  is on the border.

(it depends)

Edited by Westford
  • Like 1

this is one of the random and funny things that can happen.

I love APB because of the randomness of events from N5s killing you randomly to being projected 200 meters in the air in your car.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Westford said:

qiMRJiT.png

Yes. I feel like those reacting to heavily negative to the screenshot are trying to sanitize APB in to some sort of Safe Space™ where everyone uses the same weapon, drives the same car, lines up in firing lines, commanders ride out and exchange terms, then everyone fires rainbows and a fanfare plays and everyone wins and gets to go home with a participation ribbon. 

4 hours ago, Westford said:

I gotta say , NPC pedestrians can be annoying.

I think NPC traffic is worse because they don't "see" or at least how a person would see their only sight is directly in front of them and they only interact when something either occupies that small area or runs directly into them. Example of this is how many times a player can be driving down a street with sirens blazing and an NPC vehicle will just cut right across their path with no fucks given. They have no awareness what so ever. Even if a player tries to "play by the traffic rules" NPC vehicles don't "see" the player vehicles and even if the player has right of way the NPC vehicle will plow into them or cut them off.

It rustles my jimmies so much the only time you'll see me in a dumptruck is when I'm exacting revenge on the traffic by playing street sweeper against any NPC vehicle.

1 hour ago, Fortune Runner said:

This is when a N5 needs to just blow it all up to blow it all up

Grief the griefers lol

See, now that sounds like fun.

There are so many ways to counteract this low level "griefing" we don't need to be safety padding the whole game just for something that is more added flavour to San Paro than the horrible toxic element it is made out to be.

Edited by KnifuWaifu

(if)This is not targeted to a specific player or person, it is not griefing!

Stop killing APB, target cheaters insted!

Years ago I was angry at griefers - I guess something must snapped in me cause today I think otherwise.

Griefing isn't bad as long as it doesn't target important utilities, like garages or spawns - and you block off entire district from that place.

Even worse if it's targeted at certain group of players or player though. Then it's straight-up harrasment.

But in that case? Like seriously? Clearly they have fun, observing reaction to blocked road and you go "hurr durr, they disturb my mission!" - my god, they took you 2-3 seconds from mission time?... C'mon...

There like about 3 ways around it (1 shortcut in that situation, 2 main roads).

And honestly right now I think what this game misses is factor of fun - something this guy either want to have or bring into APB.

7 hours ago, GhosT said:

Exactly this. After all this years gameplay might turn into dull and boring so at least something gives me laugh once in a while.

Edited by Mitne
  • Like 2

Yeah, these situation are more often than not a nice change of pace. Especially with players assembling on both sides of the Kolva wall, trying to Vegas jump or just ram everything.

Next step after the Kolva wall is to do a 3 Kolva wide map cruise, clearing the main roads of any and all vehicles.

Finish off the evening with a 12 car destruction derby at the grief station.

• Like 1

Even though it's easy to take another route in this case i would still call it griefing. You have to keep in mind that in APB there are a lot of times when seconds count between winning and losing a mission so taking the fastest route matters. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Techdev said:

(if)This is not targeted to a specific player or person, it is not griefing!

Stop killing APB, target cheaters instead!

no its targeted to the whole district so yes its still griefing.

a benign one given its location is pointless to do other than be obnoxious

Edit : This is why I wish greys out of mission can kill other greys out of mission , or how greys in a mission can kill those out of mission....like different colored names so they dont throw a match when they do or something.

but phasing will fix all this I hope so dont need it really.

Edited by Fortune Runner

On 3/8/2019 at 11:17 PM, Sergsininia said:

Whilst playing in Waterfront today, I happened upon this trio. I'm cutting their names out to avoid shaming; but in all seriousness, does a majority of the community agree or disagree with this being an act of griefing/mission blocking?

For reference, I mean this:

2CRlnVx.jpg

Thats griefing no doubt. Blocking any roadway, spawn or spawn ent/exit is griefing and is suspendable under TOS. Use the in game report feature to report each person u see there under the griefing/cheating tab.

It's funny that "yes i'm in that screenshot" got 5 dislikes XD and no one figured out i'm not even in any of those trucks.

At what point does "having fun" count as griefing.

What about when you drive past someone of the opposing faction and you intentionally crash into them (not even in your mission) will enforcers start to get banned for crashing criminals?.

How about placing consumables at the top of ladders to prevent people from climbing them (not intended to be used that way) would that be considered griefing?.

In my mind nothing wrong with some mindless fun but after an hour it's no longer a joke and blocking garages (yes i've done it too in the past for a bit of fun)

Is griefing when people go overboard and block for a full hour (and the case when a gm jumped in.. 3 hours.)

• Like 2

Z7HeRxU.png

Gosh, some of this opinion.

Technically, sure it can be considered griefing.  However in actual gameplay it doesn't present any problems.  If anything it's adding to the random spontaneous fun that APB has always been great for and makes it feel like the city is actually populated by other players.  Makes a great spot for Vegas stunts too.  Stuff like this would happen all the time during APB's prime and I kinda miss it actually.  The only time when I would say to report it is when they're blocking an important spot like a garage with only one entrance or a mission objective.  I would love it though if they reverted the Kolva to its original form where it actually had a bit of acceleration and suspension, and a good tbone from a t-25 could knock it over.

Edited by BrandonBranderson

If you can't even deal with minor "griefing" like this, maybe APB isn't your game.

It's griefing but so rare these days, don't often see people roadblocking or dump trucking in general anymore

Ooh yeah i remember one time i jumped over the truck "was realy lucky", they  tried to block a spawn place, he was like, haha!, i was like hahahhaha!!!, anyway about the screen it isnt griefing,  people need to have a bit fun time right. 

Ooof, I gotta say being away gives me time to read a ton of the replies, so thanks for the continuous posts.

On 3/9/2019 at 8:55 PM, Westford said:

I gotta agree with this 100%

~snip~

If 1 or 2 "as$hats" decide to block an area more than 30min...

I would very much like to see these "Heavy Vehicles" susceptible to all kinds of fire after 30min.

I think an implementation of this would be more difficult, say someone is driving around with a dump truck minding their own business, they'd probably not want to suffer from that.

So yeah, you enter a Heavy Vehicle, you have 30 min to wreak your havoc before the vehicle can take damage from all sources.

Cool down ?    (until next vehicle ...   30min)

I'm thinking maybe a slow N5/P5 counter than increases while driving/operating a dump truck?

Welcome to San Paro

EDIT:

I did not vote.

Although this comes under the guise of "Griefing", this one here,  is on the border.

(it depends)

On 3/9/2019 at 8:03 PM, GhosT said:

True, change to the gameplay is nice. I think with the location of the blockade in the screenshot is rather minimal when it comes to impact on missions, as you have three routes around within seconds of each other. However, say under the bridge. If you're driving, you really only have one or two, and they're further away from each other than the GA5 station.

On 3/9/2019 at 7:10 PM, abbvation said:

the worst is whenever they block garages

Blocking the car spawns is one I'd say falls into the griefing tab, as there are not many points close together to spawn them... many are around 100m+ apart.

On 3/10/2019 at 1:15 AM, KnifuWaifu said:

qiMRJiT.png

Yes. I feel like those reacting to heavily negative to the screenshot are trying to sanitize APB in to some sort of Safe Space™ where everyone uses the same weapon, drives the same car, lines up in firing lines, commanders ride out and exchange terms, then everyone fires rainbows and a fanfare plays and everyone wins and gets to go home with a participation ribbon. 

I think NPC traffic is worse because they don't "see" or at least how a person would see their only sight is directly in front of them and they only interact when something either occupies that small area or runs directly into them. Example of this is how many times a player can be driving down a street with sirens blazing and an NPC vehicle will just cut right across their path with no fucks given. They have no awareness what so ever. Even if a player tries to "play by the traffic rules" NPC vehicles don't "see" the player vehicles and even if the player has right of way the NPC vehicle will plow into them or cut them off.

I think part of that can be attributed to the disconnect between server/client. In addition to that, you have a legacy engine, and primitive AI. They don't get back onto course if they're even lightly tapped.

It rustles my jimmies so much the only time you'll see me in a dumptruck is when I'm exacting revenge on the traffic by playing street sweeper against any NPC vehicle.

See, now that sounds like fun.

That rather does.

There are so many ways to counteract this low level "griefing" we don't need to be safety padding the whole game just for something that is more added flavour to San Paro than the horrible toxic element it is made out to be.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sergsininia said:

*snip*

If there's a block under the bridge and you're coming west, you can just swerve 10 meters to the left and drive through the alley.

If you come from the east however... turn around and go either left for the alley or right for the other 4 lane road. "Wasted" 30 seconds at max, which also "wastes" the time of your opponents, so there's that.

On 3/8/2019 at 11:17 PM, Sergsininia said:

Whilst playing in Waterfront today, I happened upon this trio. I'm cutting their names out to avoid shaming; but in all seriousness, does a majority of the community agree or disagree with this being an act of griefing/mission blocking?

For reference, I mean this:

2CRlnVx.jpg

Nope, it's not as long as there is a way around it, aka right next to it by 15m to the right.

It's griefing, but not that big of a deal. Not worth any time to cry about or report. 

The biggest issue with shit like this is when a bunch of people are fucking around with it for HOURS, wasting spots in a full district. That's the most annoying part. ~10 people will just be messing with a stupid blockade while people are trying to get in to actually play. Sometimes this stuff goes on for way, way too long and is just a waste of a spot in a district. 

• Like 1

San Paro is chaos. San Paro is riot. This is part of San Paro and the reason why i am Enforcer. To take another truck and crash down their cute little blockade. Take action or find another way around and yes, that also pisses me off but not something i'd report.

Griefing is when someone out of mission would block one of my objectives or actively chases me during mission or interupt me in my battles. Some randos blocking a rando street aren't a huge business.