PHM

Suggestion for Necrova Migration

Since the migration of Necrova to Citadel is inevitable and getting closer there is an idea that I think could be helpful for all of us Citadel players:

Whenever someone messages you in Russian a simple auto-reply like "Я не говорю по-русски" (I don't speak Russian) or similar should be sent to that player - with the opportunity to mute Russian chat from the console.

I'm only posting this since I'm already getting tons of Russian messages in chat and its taking too much time to use google translate every time trying to communicate with them. 

This suggestion is not against our fellow russian comrades, I think it would just make communication and gameplay a bit easier again. 😉

• Like 2

What about other languages huh? What if I don't know portuguese, french, german etc. What then? Don't see the point of doing it for one language specifically but not for the others as well

18 minutes ago, Weeb TheEpicGuyV2 said:

What about other languages huh? What if I don't know portuguese, french, german etc. What then? Don't see the point of doing it for one language specifically but not for the others as well

1. Many of us are at least bilingual and can speak some of those languages next to english (no hablo espanol / je ne parle pas francais / ich kann kein deutsch / no Italiano)

2. In all the years playing APB english on EU servers was like 90% of the language used in chat because we all can speak it to a point where communication is possible

3. Even if you cannot speak other European languages it is still quite simple to type in those sentences into google because all those languages use the latin alphabet. For someone who does not understand the Cyrillic alphabet or has the keyboard layout its as difficult to communicate as if you wrote to someone in Chinese.

Edited by PHM
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, PHM said:

For someone who does not understand the Cyrillic alphabet or has the keyboard layout its as difficult to communicate as if you wrote to someone in Chinese.

So what about languages like Chinese, Japanese, Greek, Ukrainian, Korean, etc. Will they get the same treatment?

14 minutes ago, Weeb TheEpicGuyV2 said:

So what about languages like Chinese, Japanese, Greek, Ukrainian, Korean, etc. Will they get the same treatment?

Maybe, but he's saying that because most of the players are russians and most of them are also typing to you in their native language.

It's a fact.

You won't see everyday somebody writing to you in a european language. It's just russian always.

24 minutes ago, zyde said:

Maybe, but he's saying that because most of the players are russians and most of them are also typing to you in their native language.

It's a fact.

You won't see everyday somebody writing to you in a european language. It's just russian always.

Might be true but just because something is significantly less, it doesn't mean you just ignore it/give it less acknowledgement, especially if you're a professional

Apart from location and first language choice, a Russian individual is a normal player just like a Japanese or Ukrainian individual. Special treatment shouldn't be given to the variable that's much higher in quantity, especially if you want to build a good relationship with your playerbase

Edited by Weeb TheEpicGuyV2

Common-sense says that English is the main language of communication. Any Player who decides to use another language is already aware that his/her words may not be understood.

If Russians see that they have their own chat-channel and get pushed by the Russian-hating-Community to chat in it, it may be perceived as an act of racism that got approved by LO. We most certainly do not need such a change.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PHM said:

I'm only posting this since I'm already getting tons of Russian messages in chat and its taking too much time to use google translate every time trying to communicate with them. 

then just don’t?

it baffles me that there are so many people who are seemingly incapable of just not paying attention to text that they can’t read

• Thanks 1

What could potentially help is adding something similar to what RuneScape has: Quick Chat.

Quick chat basically just has some pre-determined common phrases and autocomplete sentences that the user can search through to respond to people. Things like "My Attack level is: [Insert player attack level here]"

In APB it could be things like "How much do you want for that car?" or "Attack objective A"  or things of that nature.

Quick chat was also quite helpful for proving someone isn't lying, because a small quick chat icon would display next to autocomplete sentences that differentiated them from typed text. This allowed players in RuneScape to prove they received something as a drop, or prove what their levels were.

However this one could be expanded such that it detects the game language of the player viewing the quick chat and displays the correct translation. Since the responses are fixed, there shouldn't be any issues with incorrect translations like an automated system would have. In addition, it should be relatively easy to program, as a simple matrix with index's related to each language can be used.

This should allow simple interactions to be sorted out, and could include things like "I don't speak your language" or "I don't understand you"

Could also be beneficial for Jericho, as I frequently got into conversations with Spanish speaking players and my Spanish wasn't good enough or their English wasn't good enough and it made conversations difficult.

2 hours ago, Weeb TheEpicGuyV2 said:

APB doesn't allow typing Chinese, Japanese, Greek or Korean anyway. 

5 minutes ago, Saxtus said:

APB doesn't allow typing Chinese, Japanese, Greek or Korean anyway. 

Exactly, though it does support Cyrillic and unique Germanic letters (å, ä, ö, etc).
Tbh I would just remove the support for Cyrillic in district chat. If Russians want to chat they can do it privately with Cyrillic or use latin alphabet for public chatting. 

7 minutes ago, Weeb TheEpicGuyV2 said:

That I did not know

All those languages can be written with the Latin alphabet, so its fine.

48 minutes ago, StunStick said:

What could potentially help is adding something similar to what RuneScape has: Quick Chat.

That's actually genius