Gateron

Engine upgrade isn't going to be enough because gun play is shit [imo].

i dont know why people try make copy other aspects of other games to apb,i like to play apb because it is unique there arent anything like that  not because it is a ripoff of another more popular game

11 hours ago, Szambi said:

Kills don't feel satisfying. The tactics that you used in order to kill someone do.

Killing someone with a brick will always feel better then a headshot kill just because it did "massive damage"

13 hours ago, Gateron said:

Hello this is probably one of my first serious posts. I love APB don't get me wrong been playing since 2011. But i see people keep telling that the Engine upgrade is gonna make this game be populated again like when it was relaunched. But the game mechanics we have now are out dated and doesn't fit 2019 standards. People will try the "new" APB and leave again because the gun play is just stupid in my opinion.

The gun play is pretty shit after playing proper shooters past years. What i want to say is that the current gun play is just bad. Kills don't feel satisfying you can cheese this game hard with stupid load outs. Aim in this game isn't rewarded because every body part is the same damage. Weapons should be reworked and body part damage should be something so you can actually maybe clutch in a 1 vs 2 situation. Here i said it this game should have head shots [maybe more damage on head or something not 1 shot 🙂] you guys/girls are probably gonna disagree. But hey there is a reason you guys still play because you like it ;).

I know this is probably never gonna happen because there are to many weapons in APB. I don't think a lot of new people will stick to this game after the engine upgrade is released because of this.

Also can you give me a good reason why not to change the gun play in this game instead of just being edgy thanks.

We already tried gun balancing but its too soon for that but later when there is more experience they will try again.

In the meantime though I truly believe fixing matchmaking with phasing is more important but that doesn't say gun balancing is not important either.

Now specifically about the gem becoming more populated from the Engine Upgrade.

Its a yes but no. Yes because it is desperately needed to be able to fix the other core problems and update the game to today's standards but no because directly it will not be the game fixer itself.

Whomever said it will has hyped it up too much.

12 hours ago, Szambi said:

Kills don't feel satisfying. The tactics that you used in order to kill someone do.

can someone get matt to make this top comment?

8 hours ago, RespectThis said:

The gunplay in apb is fine. As it has been for the years its been out. Not having headshots is one of the best thing about this game imo. Why change the games damage system this far into its life span? Things like that aren't going to bring back old players. Also in terms of cheaters, having headshots would definitely cause some issues. Also adding body damage so you can clutch in a 1v2? If you can't 1v2 currently thats more a player skill issues tbh. For as long as i have played this game I can say I've had plenty of clutches with the current gunplay/damage system. APB as a game has always been enjoyable. It was the company's fault imo that the game has decayed overtime (not referring to little orbit). In the events there is ever an APB:R2 I think it would be best to keep the game how it is now and just add quality of life changes. Nothing regarding gunplay or how much damage you take based on where you get shot.

Ever tried to play APB at its highest skill ceiling possibilities? Imagine playing 2v2 against rooq and melocide. At best you can take one out and the second one will just kill you like trading. this game has reached it max skill ceiling a long time ago. Now it's only depended on objective location,spawns,low yield/nade spamming and car game playing. So it doesn't matter how good you are your damage is limited and they know that and people will know how much they can tank so no risk in pushing in since you are 1 or 2 shot anyway. 0 chance to fight back unless your lucky and the opponent potato aims for some reason. So don't come here to tell me it's a skill issue.

3 hours ago, Gateron said:

Ever tried to play APB at its highest skill ceiling possibilities? Imagine playing 2v2 against rooq and melocide. At best you can take one out and the second one will just kill you like trading. this game has reached it max skill ceiling a long time ago. Now it's only depended on objective location,spawns,low yield/nade spamming and car game playing. So it doesn't matter how good you are your damage is limited and they know that and people will know how much they can tank so no risk in pushing in since you are 1 or 2 shot anyway. 0 chance to fight back unless your lucky and the opponent potato aims for some reason. So don't come here to tell me it's a skill issue.

Ya i have fought plenty of the players at the highest skill ceiling time and time again. Considering thats what happens when you've been gold for so long you get the same handful of players game after game. Yes, I will say its a skill issue. Gunplay isn't an issue. In fact the gunplay is fine how it is. You can't just boil it down to a 1v2 in the middle of the street with no cover. Thats not how a majority of firefights end up. You win 1v2 fights because of how well you use the gunplay (which is fine) along with the location, nades, cars, etc. Even if they changed the damage system to doing damage differently throughout the body you're still limited to damage. 

I feel the current gun play is a bit lackluster.

Need some better sound fx, uncapped ROF on some of the pistols?, alternate fire modes (under barrel perc launcher, semi/burst/full auto), akimbo FBW, ACT44, 45AP, NFA, PDW.

Ultimately with the engine update, the draw distance 100M limit needs to be increased and weapon damage drop off adjusted. That should open up the weapon system, giving sniper rifles more scope to work with, make the NTEC less potent against CR762/OBIR/Scout etc.

And maybe some laser weapons like the ones in star wars and a light saber too along with yoda. Ah, weapon you seek, the perc is strong with you. Hur Hee Hee.

• Like 1

Because all these battle royales that the masses play have great gun game ... I don't think the problem is with headshots,i mean look at overwatch ,there are headshots there but still many left for other games like paladins where the game is just about who aims better which gets boring and annoying fast(and i play ow). The point is that apb needs to fix the core issues that plague the game which are the main reasons people leave. I haven't heard too many complains over gun play,even the opposite i think it's quite different from what we are used to the past years. Thats just my opnion ofc

On 2/21/2019 at 1:03 AM, Gateron said:

Aim in this game isn't rewarded because every body part is the same damage. Weapons should be reworked and body part damage should be something so you can actually maybe clutch in a 1 vs 2 situation. Here i said it this game should have head shots [maybe more damage on head or something not 1 shot 🙂] you guys/girls are probably gonna disagree. But hey there is a reason you guys still play because you like it ;).

u can go and play battlefield bro, damage mechanic is not the problem, the car meta is the problem

Edited by cheater

I like APB's gunplay - while it's much easier to hit the mechanical skill cap due to lack of headshots , the spread and recoil mechanics still give each weapon unique handling and add some challenge to shooting

IMO - if anything has to be done to hitboxes (which I disagree with), I'd like to see the current hitbox split horizontally - upper hitbox results in 1x damage, lower hitbox (meant for legs and stuff) deals 0.8x or so . But that would still push the tryhards to play with the smallest character possible.

keep in mind the position of the head varies a lot due to tweaks to build & character height, so ( again, imo) having even an approximate headshot hitbox wouldn't quite work

The issue doesn't lie in gunplay and mechanics themselves as much as it does in the balance tbh. Car meta is totally whack right now and gun meta could use a tad more variety (although thankfully there's a decent set of options as it stands)

Edited by Nitronik

6 hours ago, cheater said:

u can go and play battlefield bro, damage mechanic is not the problem, the car meta is the problem

Exactly, imagine playing a vip mission against 3 garbage players, nade spamming and abusing weapons like rfp fang (pocket obir), oca and jg and their vip groupmate is just chilling his pioneer next to a car spawning machine, respawning his car every time it takes some damage. 

True fun balanced gameplay doesn't exis...

Nvm. Just nerf the big cars and add a 20 seconds delay for each time you spawn your car or something. 

Edited by WorldDominator

10 hours ago, WorldDominator said:

Exactly, imagine playing a vip mission against 3 garbage players, nade spamming and abusing weapons like rfp fang (pocket obir), oca and jg and their vip groupmate is just chilling his pioneer next to a car spawning machine, respawning his car every time it takes some damage. 

True fun balanced gameplay doesn't exis...

Nvm. Just nerf the big cars and add a 20 seconds delay for each time you spawn your car or something. 

That situation isn't a very good one. Especially considering they're "garbage players" of course they won't have much of an idea on how to counter act that. Against any good group that strategy would fail very quickly. Also nerfing "big cars" won't change much. The vegas is extremely durable for its speed/weight. 

at this point the engine upgrade  has been promised for so many years that Ive lost hope it will ever come.  New company, same  promise.  For those new here...its literally been like 7 years of, its coming next quarter.  Its coming end of the year etc.  I would look forward MORE  to new districts and weapons and contacts etc.

4 minutes ago, Shimmer said:

at this point the engine upgrade  has been promised for so many years that Ive lost hope it will ever come.  New company, same  promise.  For those new here...its literally been like 7 years of, its coming next quarter.  Its coming end of the year etc.  I would look forward MORE  to new districts and weapons and contacts etc.

Ya i agree. I've been in this community since it was released in beta. Can definitely say that the "engine update" has been soontm for so long its pretty meh to hear its will be released soon. As nice as the engine update would be i would prefer a great anti cheat, contacts, and weapons. Only problem is as Matt stated is the engine update would allow for that sort of thing to be implemented much easier and more efficiently.

Edited by RespectThis

1 hour ago, RespectThis said:

That situation isn't a very good one. Especially considering they're "garbage players" of course they won't have much of an idea on how to counter act that. Against any good group that strategy would fail very quickly. Also nerfing "big cars" won't change much. The vegas is extremely durable for its speed/weight. 

When i mentioned them as garbage players i didn't mean that they were bad, they are actually high tier players, yet they have to play like this every single mission for whatever the twisted reason behind it, abusing the living shit out of everything they can even if their enemies were pure silvers, they would still do what they do and that's why i called them bad because in a normal 1v1 situation they lose normally, but hey good luck ever 1v1ing any of them when they use them tactics and big cars if you get them as your enemies when playing solo.

As for the vegas i wouldn't say it's that durable as it can be damaged up to 70% by just one magazine of ntec or star and lets not forget about nades can easily destroy it.

I'd say you are over estimating its capabilities, anyone using a vegas is at least 5 times more likely to fail while abusing car gameplay against high tier players than someone who's using a poineer which tanks up to 2 frag nades + one magazine of ntec or star for example and lets not forget also about how poineers can accelerate faster than a 4x4 while using nitro 3 to flee away from a bad situation. 

Edit : forgot to mention how extremely good it can be used as a cover even after being destroyed and how annoying it can get to actually hit the enemy underneath it in comparison to other normal cars.

Edited by WorldDominator

On 2/21/2019 at 1:03 AM, Gateron said:

Hello this is probably one of my first serious posts. I love APB don't get me wrong been playing since 2011. But i see people keep telling that the Engine upgrade is gonna make this game be populated again like when it was relaunched. But the game mechanics we have now are out dated and doesn't fit 2019 standards. People will try the "new" APB and leave again because the gun play is just stupid in my opinion.

The gun play is pretty shit after playing proper shooters past years. What i want to say is that the current gun play is just bad. Kills don't feel satisfying you can cheese this game hard with stupid load outs. Aim in this game isn't rewarded because every body part is the same damage. Weapons should be reworked and body part damage should be something so you can actually maybe clutch in a 1 vs 2 situation. Here i said it this game should have head shots [maybe more damage on head or something not 1 shot 🙂] you guys/girls are probably gonna disagree. But hey there is a reason you guys still play because you like it ;).

I know this is probably never gonna happen because there are to many weapons in APB. I don't think a lot of new people will stick to this game after the engine upgrade is released because of this.

Also can you give me a good reason why not to change the gun play in this game instead of just being edgy thanks.

Maybe new people will just play the game. And wont start thinking "hmm weapons should shoot differently, Im leaving game". Mate, you create problem from nothing

5 hours ago, wHisHi said:

Maybe new people will just play the game. And wont start thinking "hmm weapons should shoot differently, Im leaving game". Mate, you create problem from nothing

From my experience trying to let my friends play this game and they quit very fast. They said smart game doesn't have head shots. How many of them play today z e r o. 

On 2/23/2019 at 7:33 AM, Gateron said:

From my experience trying to let my friends play this game and they quit very fast. They said smart game doesn't have head shots. How many of them play today z e r o. 

I feel like they more likely quit due to the op they got against. Also this games learning curve is rather steep. Even if it doesn't look like it on the surface. Sorry to hear you friends don't play. If they don't like the same damage throughout the body mechanic there are plenty of other games out there that will fill that void. As i stated before APB's gunplay has been how its been for years and years. People play the game because they like it. You'll do more harm to the game changing it now. Especially since what keeps this game alive currently is the older players. Was the same thing with adding the game to console. Was a big middle finger straight to the PC community who had been supporting the game for years. Turning your back on the foundation of your game isn't a smart move by any means.

Imo this game has not much to do besides missions. It could learn from big MMOs or even GTA. It will never be goto shooter for CSGO playerbase and should deliver on other fronts instead. Customization is a nice bonus not a main gameplay feature.

I wonder how many people would play BDO if all it had was pvp and grind.

On 2/24/2019 at 9:41 PM, LoveForMatt said:

Arent you suposed to be +18 to play the game? Do you have permission from your parents?

pp,550x550.u4.jpgyikes

Edited by Gateron

There is a reason why this game never got body parts and everyone uses largest character hitbox - as many characters there are with complex customization you would now have to add hitbox. Also those who figure out the hitbox would all just go create midget skinny characters so that it is harder to hit them as they have smaller profile and can hide better. Hit boxes work well when all characters are the same. APB had a decision to make about it and I think it is a right one. What game needs is total balance overhaul. When was the last time anyone picked up STAR or SHAW, or any LTL weapons and was consistently successful with them? When was the last time anyone used Kevlar? Got something other than nitrous in the car or chose Seyo Espacio as their vehicle to run missions in? Most of the time if someone is using OCA it is RS3, CJ3 and then its some random perk depending on how they feel - it might as well come with the first 2 by default

That is what is needed for the game first, then new content to keep us interested as well as events. Bring back leagues for kills, wins etc and give rewards for them (create minimum rank to qualify as to cheaters to be banned before even getting there and spoiling everything) Threat levels also need looking at. I should not be gold for always being worst player on the winning team when I am getting negative KD - it should involve more things for the scoring. Even social is reduced to just one corner - might as well cut the rest of it - things just feel quite off balance and that is why its hard to love APB as much as you'd love your CoD or BF or what ever. Right now we love it like parents who love their annoying teenagers - he is a prick now but he has so much potential to do great things in life

I hope this stuff is made easier and is next after engine upgrade 🙂

I'd start buying premium and designing again 🙂 maybe even revive my youtube channel and maybe a miracle would happen and my clan mates would come back to the game too 😄

The gunplay in APB is great in my opinion.  It's nice and solid which is something you don't see in modern games anymore.  They all have the same heavy, clunky movement with ridiculous amounts of camera shake and you're dead the moment an enemy sees you.  I don't want APB to become that.  Time to react is necessary in APB considering how long it can take to get back to the objective with the rather large open districts compared to a modern fps where you just respawn instantly in small arena styled maps.  The current hitboxes are the way they are for balance so everyone is the same size.  Imagine having to shoot about a foot above a min height female's head to get a headshot.  I will say that I hate Qwentle's curve mechanics being added to old guns though.  They just made the M-1922 useless and a lot of other guns annoying and inconsistent to use.

Of course the engine upgrade isn't going to be enough to save the game, but it serves as the foundation for the real game-saving changes to be made.

On 2/21/2019 at 6:51 AM, Zolerox said:

Killing someone with a brick will always feel better then a headshot kill just because it did "massive damage"

I just think it's the sound.

"WHHHHHHAAPT!" then dead body being flung into a wall.

I love the gunplay in this game, I think it's great, and it's my favorite of any game. I would be very put off if it was changed.

• Like 3