Gateron

Engine upgrade isn't going to be enough because gun play is shit [imo].

Hello this is probably one of my first serious posts. I love APB don't get me wrong been playing since 2011. But i see people keep telling that the Engine upgrade is gonna make this game be populated again like when it was relaunched. But the game mechanics we have now are out dated and doesn't fit 2019 standards. People will try the "new" APB and leave again because the gun play is just stupid in my opinion.

The gun play is pretty shit after playing proper shooters past years. What i want to say is that the current gun play is just bad. Kills don't feel satisfying you can cheese this game hard with stupid load outs. Aim in this game isn't rewarded because every body part is the same damage. Weapons should be reworked and body part damage should be something so you can actually maybe clutch in a 1 vs 2 situation. Here i said it this game should have head shots [maybe more damage on head or something not 1 shot 🙂] you guys/girls are probably gonna disagree. But hey there is a reason you guys still play because you like it ;).

I know this is probably never gonna happen because there are to many weapons in APB. I don't think a lot of new people will stick to this game after the engine upgrade is released because of this.

Also can you give me a good reason why not to change the gun play in this game instead of just being edgy thanks.

Edited by Gateron
  • Like 3

What if we would get little more real life in APB ? You know like in those fast TTK games , no matter what weapon you have smg, rife or shotgun ... wins one who have better aim and reaction (only weapon range is important for performance). Just add new Hitbox so it would work ofc...

Hmm...

I don't post too often myself, but screw it.

I agree there should probably be some kind of body-part multiplier, but I can't see the addition of headshots going too well...

I'd suggest a middle-ground method. Give the center of mass + head a '1x/Normal' damage rating for optimal TTK similar to now, then a 'reduced/0.6x ~ 0.8x' multiplier for extremities. This would make aiming center of mass actually effect your DPS, without breaking some weapons in the game entirely.

One of the core issues with APB and more 'advanced' gunplay is that the game already makes it incredibly easy to aim compared to most games. The third-person camera gives ambusher's advantage, and with 'proper' headshots in the game, said ambusher would never lose a fight, even potato aiming, pretty much.

Introducing a penalty on missing the center of mass, without overly rewarding the inevitable grazing headshot, seems like a good middle road to me. I am eager to see if anyone here can point out an alternate solution, though.

It seem rather evident that some changes are needed to combat and maybe driving to bring APB up to day gameplay wise.

Not sure where to begin but I agree on the localised damage to limbs and head.

I would suggest that car impacts should have damage that is proportionate to the vehicle's speed, not just being killed after jumping over a Macchina Calabria doing 8mph because that's just illogical except to a computer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VickyFox said:

It seem rather evident that some changes are needed to combat and maybe driving to bring APB up to day gameplay wise.

Not sure where to begin but I agree on the localised damage to limbs and head.

I would suggest that car impacts should have damage that is proportionate to the vehicle's speed, not just being killed after jumping over a Macchina Calabria doing 8mph because that's just illogical except to a computer.

Oh right, the car damage...

That is indeed a thing that should be more... precisely applied than it currently is.

• Like 1

Two things mentioned here that I agree with: hitboxes, i know that's nearly impossible to be implemented because would be a complete rework to the point of almost a whole new game, but maybe 6 hitboxes that are actually just 3 multipliers: torso, head, arms/legs, would also help to detect smooth abimot and aimbot tapping cheaters easily, since right now they get away with their cheating tactics so easily thanks to one single huge hitbox. And cars, wouldn't aim to something too complex like car damage but I do think that it could be possible to turn vehicle handling client side for good already, the creators did it server side thinking that would be a smart way to avoid "car cheating" on a shooting game, where what people actually cheat are weapons, not cars... read some comment on any platform and the main reason for the low rating of this game is the car handling, it feels like a hover or a supermarket cart, lol.

Kills don't feel satisfying. The tactics that you used in order to kill someone do.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, Szambi said:

Kills don't feel satisfying. The tactics that you used in order to kill someone do.

Underrated concept.

While I know most likely don't share our preference here, I do hope those like us are not forgotten as things churn along.

Edited by Reyku
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Reyku said:

Hmm...

I don't post too often myself, but screw it.

I agree there should probably be some kind of body-part multiplier, but I can't see the addition of headshots going too well...

I'd suggest a middle-ground method. Give the center of mass + head a '1x/Normal' damage rating for optimal TTK similar to now, then a 'reduced/0.6x ~ 0.8x' multiplier for extremities. This would make aiming center of mass actually effect your DPS, without breaking some weapons in the game entirely.

One of the core issues with APB and more 'advanced' gunplay is that the game already makes it incredibly easy to aim compared to most games. The third-person camera gives ambusher's advantage, and with 'proper' headshots in the game, said ambusher would never lose a fight, even potato aiming, pretty much.

Introducing a penalty on missing the center of mass, without overly rewarding the inevitable grazing headshot, seems like a good middle road to me. I am eager to see if anyone here can point out an alternate solution, though.

i’m not a big fan of changing the hitboxes but i don’t think i would hate this tbh, decent suggestion

20 minutes ago, Salvick said:

turn vehicle handling client side

no, never do this

i think 2011-2012 apb had really solid gunplay

it was super simple and easy to understand but with a pretty high skill ceiling, and the not-too-high/not-too-low ttk put more emphasis on consistent aim and game knowledge over pure twitch aim and reaction time

at this point that’s all been dumbed down as much as it can be and it’s obviously not working all that well, so i agree that a change needs to be made - either “undumb” the gunplay or find a new system 

1 hour ago, MartisLTU said:

What if we would get little more real life in APB ?

when you said this, i was interested, i thought u meant like actually going to shops to eat, and having an apartment to live in, then i continued reading and saw thats not what you ment 😞

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gateron said:

Hello this is probably one of my first serious posts. I love APB don't get me wrong been playing since 2011. But i see people keep telling that the Engine upgrade is gonna make this game be populated again like when it was relaunched. But the game mechanics we have now are out dated and doesn't fit 2019 standards. People will try the "new" APB and leave again because the gun play is just stupid in my opinion.

The gun play is pretty shit after playing proper shooters past years. What i want to say is that the current gun play is just bad. Kills don't feel satisfying you can cheese this game hard with stupid load outs. Aim in this game isn't rewarded because every body part is the same damage. Weapons should be reworked and body part damage should be something so you can actually maybe clutch in a 1 vs 2 situation. Here i said it this game should have head shots [maybe more damage on head or something not 1 shot 🙂] you guys/girls are probably gonna disagree. But hey there is a reason you guys still play because you like it ;).

I know this is probably never gonna happen because there are to many weapons in APB. I don't think a lot of new people will stick to this game after the engine upgrade is released because of this.

Also can you give me a good reason why not to change the gun play in this game instead of just being edgy thanks.

Gun play is fine, all they need to do is, add more cars, improve car driving mechanics, the customization of cars, clothes and how the game looks because that's literally what brings most noobies to play this game at the very beginning till they actually get hang of how the weapons work and they'd appreciate its uniqueness later on.

It's no fun having Apb with some of the features or all features of other existent games like csgo and apex legends. Every game should be unique and every player just has to choose what he prefers. I'd say Apb should keep it's own gameplay as it is.

The reason why alot of people who know this game and don't play it, is not because of the gun play but rather the graphics and the bad servers and how imbalanced the matchmaking can get for the starting players who do not even know how to properly use the tutorial menu and mainly wondering aimlessly not knowing what they are supposed to be doing, killing civilians and shooting at players who are not even playing against them in a mission.

The other reason is because most people do not know that this game even exists because how unpopular it is and would probably not play it because of the previous reason not to mention there are no popular twitch streamers playing and advertising the game.

All in all they should just add balanced matchmaking, ranked system, significantly improve servers, improve graphics and make the client have more consistent fps, add more cars, rework car mechanics completely and maybe implement somekind of car racing districts and missions into the game, add a more suitable tutorial menu for new players, add more maps and cities to the game and relaunch the game while reaching out to considerably known streamers to stream the game and this game would get from 10 to 20 times more population on its first day easily.

Edited by WorldDominator

I dont disagree, but part of what makes apb unique is that you know exactly how much damage each gun does, stk, how hurt you are, how hurt the enemy is, etc. You make tactical decisions based on this knowledge. For apb in particular , I'd rather have that than health bars and damage numbers.

• Like 2

The engine upgrade will bring some players back (whether they stay is a different issue) but it won't revive apb. The reason for this isn't the gunplay, although it may be a contributing factor, but rather the lack of content there is

Sure there's other factors like matchmaking, server latency, gun balance, etc, but these are factors that some can be addressed with relative ease. If you fixed a few of them, you're still left with the core issue of content

Take for example missions. All missions are currently is a set number of attack/defend stages wrapped up by one of six different end stages, of which a few overlap into each other: Team Deathmatch, Tug of War Team Deathmatch, VIP, Capture the Item, Control Points & King of the Hill. In other words it's the same format over and over

I know people hate it when others start taking other games and comparing them to apb, but it's a clear way to convey a point. Take Battlefield for example. It may be another shooter but it  manages to keep things fresh with its variety of modes available

Two of its modes available are conquest and rush, which play differently to each other. One mode is centered around holding more capture points than the other team to drain their team lives to 0 first before they do to you. Killing also drains the tickets. The other mode is centered around one team defending 2 objectives per base while the other team, who have a limited number of lives, has to destroy all these objectives

Edit addition: I guess what I'm trying to say is that apb had a roster of cards on the table, but instead of spreading them out playing them individually, it decided to stack some of them on top of each other, creating the illusion of reduced cards. It needs more stacked cards on the table

TL;DR - the engine upgrade won't save apb, but for different reasons, before spewing bs

Edited by Weeb TheEpicGuyV2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Weeb TheEpicGuyV2 said:

One mode is centered around holding more capture points than the other team 

territory control final stage

16 minutes ago, Weeb TheEpicGuyV2 said:

The other mode is centered around one team defending 2 objectives per base while the other team, who have a limited number of lives, has to destroy all these objectives

vip final stage

31 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

territory control final stage

vip final stage

True but the difference is in apb it's up to chance which end stage you get, and on top of that, it's part of the missions we've come to play everyday. Meanwhile in battlefield you have the freedom to choose which mode you play, as they're separate

...now I feel like I'm hating on apb. That aside I guess what I'm trying to say is that apb had a roster of cards on the table, but instead of spreading them out playing them individually, it decided to stack some of them on top of each other, creating the illusion of reduced cards

As I said, It would be better to make APB 2, with today's technology instead of updating a 10+ years old game with less than 1000 players.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, BXNNXD said:

no, never do this

Oh...ok.

🤔

48 minutes ago, Salvick said:

Oh...ok.

🤔

there's already problems with semi clientside on-foot movement, why would you want more

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheKeanuReeves said:

As I said, It would be better to make APB 2, with today's technology instead of updating a 10+ years old game with less than 1000 players.

This.

An APB 2 would be the most ideal solution to a lot of these issues. Though it's very unlikely that one will be developed, a lot of issues could easily be addressed simply by building a game from scratch that is similar to the first one but improved and with new features.

The gunplay in apb is fine. As it has been for the years its been out. Not having headshots is one of the best thing about this game imo. Why change the games damage system this far into its life span? Things like that aren't going to bring back old players. Also in terms of cheaters, having headshots would definitely cause some issues. Also adding body damage so you can clutch in a 1v2? If you can't 1v2 currently thats more a player skill issues tbh. For as long as i have played this game I can say I've had plenty of clutches with the current gunplay/damage system. APB as a game has always been enjoyable. It was the company's fault imo that the game has decayed overtime (not referring to little orbit). In the events there is ever an APB:R2 I think it would be best to keep the game how it is now and just add quality of life changes. Nothing regarding gunplay or how much damage you take based on where you get shot.

Gunplay is the one thing that has been consistently enjoyable through out the yearts. Apart from some weapon imbalances, it's just right for what APB is. Changing anything major here would be an awful move imo.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ShaiShai said:

when you said this, i was interested, i thought u meant like actually going to shops to eat, and having an apartment to live in, then i continued reading and saw thats not what you ment 😞

This would be cool too .... so many empty buildings in apb.... add pets too XD 

~GTA 6 ?

1 hour ago, MartisLTU said:

This would be cool too .... so many empty buildings in apb.... add pets too XD 

~GTA 6 ?

Grand Theft APB 6*

Surely the engine will do its part yet Gateron has a certain  point of view.But again a new engine would mostly impact every side of the game,will see how this goes.Plus with the new engine comin the game will be able to get a lot more of modifications which are not available on the current engine.Again will see how it goes