Tunner

Melee Weapons?

I have always found it odd that we only have firearms in the game. Normally it doesnt strike you, but when you think about it, its really strange, especially in the situations when the enemy is basically touching you and you both shoot at each other. I think melee weapons would add a whole new dimension to the game, some could even be designed to incapacitate/stun players. Not the mention the biggest benefit of the melee weapons - helping the game make sense. Melee combat is for melee weapons (although if someone still wants to shoot instead, let them do that).

Now that there is the new team behind the game, what do you think about melee weapons (police batons, baseball bats, knives, brass knuckles or even bare fists) and bashing with firearms (hitting enemies with the stock etc.)?

Edited by Tunner
  • Like 2

There were some concept arts but never saw the light of the day but i would love to change abit the style of apb with this new gameplay.

Like AlishaAzure said there were some concepts and stuff, and in a really old APB presentation (I believe it was showing off character customization) a character can be seen holding a sledge hammer.  They didn't do anything with it, just stood there, but the idle animations are in the game at least.  I'm all for this idea if done correctly and the weapons have reasonable hit boxes.  The character hit boxes are kinda ridiculous as is, so I feel like melee weapons should be made carefully in a way where they won't exaggerate the already huge player hit box.  And they can't be implemented like melee weapons in Zombie Master (If anyone remembers that HL2 mod) where it behaves like an accurate single shot gun with really short range.  However damage is dealt, it should be done in a sweeping pattern that matches the animation.  I was thinking maybe having it work like an extremely short range burst fire weapon with the spray pattern mimicking the swing of the weapon.  Recently with the shotgun rework that was reverted, they showed that they can make the first pellet of a shotgun to hit deal more damage, so maybe after the first bullet in a burst hits and deals the full intended damage of the swing the rest could deal 0 damage?  Maybe damage could vary depending on how deep you are into the swing.  Using a bat for an example, if you hit someone right at the start of a swing it wouldn't really hurt much, but it would hurt A LOT if you got hit 3/4 way through the swing.  So each shot in the burst would have a different damage value.  Just some ideas, I'm bad at explaining shit lol.

why bother using a melee weapon when a player can unload a shotgun into his opponents face?

Why would you want a melee weapon in a game where most of the weapons have TTK sub 1 sec?

Well of course not everyone has shotgun (also shooting someone in the face is useless since headshots dont count) and not everyone has ammo at that time, or maybe they are reloading. Or perhaps they dont want to be detected (melee weapons are silent). There is plenty of uses for a melee weapon.

Edited by Tunner

3 hours ago, Tunner said:

Well of course not everyone has shotgun (also shooting someone in the face is useless since headshots dont count) and not everyone has ammo at that time, or maybe they are reloading. Or perhaps they dont want to be detected (melee weapons are silent). There is plenty of uses for a melee weapon.

i’m not a fan of adding melee to cover for poor gameplay mistakes (using the wrong weapon for engagement range, getting caught reloading, etc)

is your proposed melee mechanic a one hit kill?

Unless melee weapons are a one-hit-kill they would be practically useless in almost all situations considering that anything bar sniper weapons would annihilate anyone trying to close into melee range. They would be so situational that they are not worth carrying over whatever slot they would replace.

Also, all that said, there already is a melee weapon in the game. Blowtorch.

8 hours ago, BXNNXD said:

why bother using a melee weapon when a player can unload a shotgun into his opponents face?

Because in the case you run out of ammo before you die you can at least beat them in the face

Otherwise they are going to do  "things" to you

Interesting point about the blowtorch, worth thinking about.

9 hours ago, BXNNXD said:

is your proposed melee mechanic a one hit kill?

I'm not proposing any game mechanic at this moment. Im just asking the devs whether they would like melee weapons in the game or not and Im explaining how many things you could do with them. Damage, range, attack speed, slot, price etc. are more a question of "how to make them" rather than "whether to make them". Id first like to know whether melee yes or melee no (depending on the devs vision/concept of the game), and then if its a yes we can figure out the details so it doesnt break the game balance.

Edited by Tunner

Hi there,

While I am intrigued by the idea of more melee weapons, I think we are still too new to APB to be making this kind of change.

Adding melee weapons would require a significant amount of change to the game including controls, UI, weapon balance, and even mission design. Maybe someday. But melee weapons are not in our roadmap right now.

Thanks,

Matt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/15/2019 at 3:24 AM, Tunner said:

I have always found it odd that we only have firearms in the game. Normally it doesnt strike you, but when you think about it, its really strange, especially in the situations when the enemy is basically touching you and you both shoot at each other. I think melee weapons would add a whole new dimension to the game, some could even be designed to incapacitate/stun players. Not the mention the biggest benefit of the melee weapons - helping the game make sense. Melee combat is for melee weapons (although if someone still wants to shoot instead, let them do that).

Now that there is the new team behind the game, what do you think about melee weapons (police batons, baseball bats, knives, brass knuckles or even bare fists) and bashing with firearms (hitting enemies with the stock etc.)?

You understand that guns are much more effective and effortless at killing people than melee weapons, even in close range, right?

If anything, carrying around a melee weapon when you have two guns makes far less sense.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MattScott said:

Hi there,

While I am intrigued by the idea of more melee weapons, I think we are still too new to APB to be making this kind of change.

Adding melee weapons would require a significant amount of change to the game including controls, UI, weapon balance, and even mission design. Maybe someday. But melee weapons are not in our roadmap right now.

Thanks,

Matt

Alright, thanks for letting me know. We will see what the future brings.

1 hour ago, MattScott said:

Hi there,

Thanks,

Matt

A suggestion for when Little Orbit is ready would be to make a punching animation for melee and possibly let the crims use their brass knuckles for an extra damage amount  since enf already have LTL anyways

33 minutes ago, Fortune Runner said:

A suggestion for when Little Orbit is ready would be to make a punching animation for melee and possibly let the crims use their brass knuckles for an extra damage amount  since enf already have LTL anyways

LTL is not an upgrade in any way, so no.

Maybe some kind of melee and 'execution' animation or something? Giving a player extra points?

You can also use the NFAS tho. Same thing as a melee weapon (>it just requires aim and the same strategic positioning<)

(If melee weapons don't make you run faster, and please don't LO, you wont stand a chance. They will walk backwards and YER done kiddo!)

5 hours ago, Weeb TheEpicGuyV2 said:

Huh, @MurkTheMerc wasn't the one who made this thread? I'm disappointed in him

Glad to know I wasn't the only one.

20 hours ago, MattScott said:

Hi there,

Thanks,

Matt

the confusion however . 

17 hours ago, Fortune Runner said:

not what i said

Yes, but giving criminals a better version of something both factions have is in no way equivalent to LTL.

9 hours ago, Yood said:

the confusion however . 

Haha, good point. "more" melee weapons means that there are already some in the game, in which case nothing needs to be added extra to what is in game right now.

If someone from the team can clarify that, that would be nice. Otherwise please lock.

Edited by Tunner

5 hours ago, Kewlin said:

Yes, but giving criminals a better version of something both factions have is in no way equivalent to LTL.

not what i said either

On 2/17/2019 at 10:50 AM, Fortune Runner said:

I will clean this up for you

says punching animations can work for melee. Also means it wont break gun balancing drastically if a fixed small amount of damage is used .

says how crims could use brass knuckles , like they already have , for a slight boost to kill enforcer a little faster.

says how that small extra damage wouldn't mean much since enf has LTL which is where you are confused. (not that i was clear enough)

LTL stuns and slows people down and this gives a new  reason to use a LTL in  missions

Something new that isnt completely game breaking like how some new guns can throw the balancing completely off .

either way just a new idea suggestion to Little Orbit to think about - doesn't mean they have to *shrugs*

7 minutes ago, Fortune Runner said:

not what i said either

I will clean this up for you

says punching animations can work for melee. Also means it wont break gun balancing drastically if a fixed small amount of damage is used .

says how crims could use brass knuckles , like they already have , for a slight boost to kill enforcer a little faster.

says how that small extra damage wouldn't mean much since enf has LTL which is where you are confused. (not that i was clear enough)

LTL stuns and slows people down and this gives a new  reason to use a LTL in  missions

Something new that isnt completely game breaking like how some new guns can throw the balancing completely off .

either way just a new idea suggestion to Little Orbit to think about - doesn't mean they have to *shrugs*

No, I understand exactly what you're saying, I just disagree. Obviously you didn't directly say the thing I was pointing out as my issue with your proposition, lol.

You're proposing criminals have an equipable upgrade to melee, and then saying that's fine because enforcers have LTL as an alternative option to lethal weapons: I personally do not think the two are comparable, and think that giving criminals an exclusive upgrade to melee not only makes no sense logically but would be a poor game design choice.