MattScott

February 2019 Newsletter & Blog

1 hour ago, MattScott said:

MartinPL's version is really good!

😊

Now I kind of wish I had kept that character unchanged - he's back to his regular, boring, non-MattScott-lookalike appearance. Still, the look shouldn't be too difficult to remake, considering there's the real-life photo and the image of my version to work with 😛

• Like 1

With these new Armas changes is there any word or plans on a system to redeliver permanent weapons that you lose? Especially with Armas now refusing to let you buy things you already own I have no way to recover weapons without waiting for support to eventually get back with me and in the meantime that means there's potentially weeks to months that I'm unable to use a weapon. I'm at the point where I would rather just rebuy things to get them back than be without them for three months.

I was hoping that this would be a new feature of the updated Armas but unfortunately from what I've read it doesn't appear to be.

That said these changes that we did get are much welcomed. APB's prices have always been universally considered too high by every single person I've met and this is a great step.

Edited by Tizzie

9 minutes ago, Tizzie said:

~snip~

Yes, please unlock any weapon we buy from ARMAS for purchase from contacts. We get cars and clothes unlocked for purchase when we buy them, why not guns?

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Darkzero3802 said:

Well hopefully 3.5 is a new chapter in APB. As playing since 2011 the current chapter has dragged on way too long

New Breed best time period hands down

miss those ccu counts

I'm really excited about the ARMAS changes, thanks a bunch Matt (et al), I look forward to taking a look!

I'm really hoping for account unlocked packs and such in the future.

Edited by -Rachel-

5 hours ago, Darkzero3802 said:

Ive got to be honest here, A complete rewash of the same valentines event with no new pink weapons doesn't spark any desire to play the event. Its been 7yrs since this was 1st used and its been the same rewards with the same guns since. Ive done this so many times already I eve have duplicates of some of the pink guns in my inv. You guys really needed to make new pink guns avail for this event like for example the PDW-57 "Dagger", ATAC 424 and the ISS-b "Dog Ear". Having a new selection would have added a new element to a valentines event that hasnt seen a change and went stale 5yrs ago and have offered vets something new to purchase. After 7yrs anyone who has the pink guns bought them many yrs ago and theres no reason to rebuy if you have it already. Heres the full lisst of weapons potentially turned pink for this yr that would have has purchases and made the event abit more interesting.

PDW-57 "Dagger"

ATAC 424

ISS-b "Dog Ear"

JG-1140

AMG-556

And for unlocks for playing the event
FFA

VBR

Showstopper

Personally, I don't own a single valentines weapon, never felt the need to as owning a modifiable version of the gun is 9 times out of 10 better and more functional. If I really badly wanted, i'd just use my love gun weapon skin and throw on a tagger, hey presto, a valentines weapon.

18 hours ago, VickyFox said:

If Little Orbit is thinking of releasing the new game mode before EU3.5 then I'm sorry to say that will be a mistake.

Not only will it give people first impressions based on the old engine (with Jericho being DDoSed and Citidel harassed by speed hacks) but the Engine Upgrade may throw up some glitches and bugs for the new game mode when it is released.

It takes as little as 7 seconds to form first impressions and they can last a life time, One would of thought these potentially vastly sub par experience is not what Little Orbit would want for people who come to return or joining APB for the first time.

I could not agree with you more Vicky. You don't invite people over, until you clean your house. This is a terrible business move.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MattScott said:

This is probably a good post for an entirely different thread. 

I haven't done the 23andme.com test, but as far as I understand it, I am Scottish, Irish, Dutch, Welsh, German, and a tiny amount Native American.

Ah that is good. I can keep sending you money without having ethical dilemmas then. Unless you are being dishonest, you know how some people can be. 

Is the next blogpost going to be midlife crisis edition then?

9 hours ago, MattScott said:

There is no criteria. Players send us stuff they made, and so far we have been able to post most of them.

You're in luck @Nevv. Maybe you can send LO your animu weeb videos and people might watch them for once. :^)

Edited by NotZombieBiscuit
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, MattScott said:

I'm not going to disagree. But it's difficult to gauge when 3.5 will be stable enough to rollout. So right now RIOT is disconnected from 3.5 simply so that we have the option of turning it on. If the timelines work, then it's relatively easy to port RIOT into 3.5 and launch them together.

So RIOT was built with 3.5 in mind, that does put a part of my mind at ease 

5 hours ago, PoundOfFlesh said:

I could not agree with you more Vicky. You don't invite people over, until you clean your house. This is a terrible business move.

With the population number hovering where it is, this may be a good strategic move to keep the concurrent player numbers up after valentines.

It is a gamble and I don't like gambles into the unknown but this is controlled as it can get I guess.

On 2/9/2019 at 8:12 PM, Nanometic said:

Personally, I don't own a single valentines weapon, never felt the need to as owning a modifiable version of the gun is 9 times out of 10 better and more functional. If I really badly wanted, i'd just use my love gun weapon skin and throw on a tagger, hey presto, a valentines weapon.

Actually the valentines carbine is just as functional as the orig. 2 free slots with the hearts tagger mod on it. So is the Star R&D III.

24 minutes ago, Darkzero3802 said:

Actually the valentines carbine is just as functional as the orig. 2 free slots with the hearts tagger mod on it. So is the Star R&D III.

a preset weapon by default is never as functional as its 3slot variant

personally tagger loses almost all value when playing in any kind of coordinated group, so the preset love guns are just wasted slots to me

4 hours ago, Darkzero3802 said:

Except if i want to put a different purple mod on there? like 3ps3 or MS?

Edit: also skinnable 

Edited by Nanometic

6 hours ago, Nanometic said:

Why would you use 3ps3 when joker is a primary, and you switch to secondary to finish off, and why use mobility sling when you aren't supposed to use marksman mode for the joker carbine?

I agree with the skinnable point, but aside from that, no purple mods really matter for the joker/stac. Like, i'd use RS3, CJ2, and EM on it, i wouldn't even use a purple mod, and most people dont either. If someone wants to buy a skinnable love joker gun with preset tagger, let them lol. The game is about customization and customizing guns to fit your own playstyle, even if it isn't optimum.

Ontopic, glad to hear the engine upgrade looks promising.

Edited by Noob_Guardian

8 minutes ago, Noob_Guardian said:

Why would you use 3ps3 when joker is a primary, and you switch to secondary to finish off, and why use mobility sling when you aren't supposed to use marksman mode for the joker carbine?

I agree with the skinnable point, but aside from that, no purple mods really matter for the joker/stac. Like, i'd use RS3, CJ2, and EM on it, i wouldn't even use a purple mod, and most people dont either. If someone wants to buy a skinnable love joker gun with preset tagger, let them lol. The game is about customization and customizing guns to fit your own playstyle, even if it isn't optimum.

Ontopic, glad to hear the engine upgrade looks promising.

You know 3ps3 effects every time you equip the weapon right?

Not just when switching between guns?

11 minutes ago, Noob_Guardian said:

Because nading, push and swapping to your weapon again all in a split second. You use EM on a carbine?? Plus, literally every valentine weapon has that tagger, like the aforementioned STAR, which i'd rather MS on. Now if they made an actual uniqueness to the valentines weapons other than visual, I agree with let people buy it if they want, sure, i'm not saying you shouldn't, but for someone who has access to the love gun skin a tagger and a 3 slot variant, whats the point. 

I believe the original point was that, if someone wanted the valentines weapons, they probably already have them, so more versions should be made.

Also, MS isn't terrible on the carbine if you use RS1 MS IR3, i don't like using RS3 on the carbine. Ruins the accuracy for when you crouch and aim, which you can use to get people at 40-50m

Edit: also the switching to secondary comment doesn't make sense, 3ps3 is changing to that weapon, not from it.

Edited by Nanometic
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Noob_Guardian said:

and EM

discussion privileges revoked

22 hours ago, Nanometic said:

if thats what u wana do then get the reg vers, if u want a pink weapon icon in the hud u get the pink guns.

• Like 1

I'm confused on one thing, specifically for the ARMAS pricing. Overall the prices seem to have gone down, except for account lifetime bundles? Juggernaut Strike Pack was 3999 with premium, around 40 USD, 4999 without it. Now? It's 6999 without premium lol. 5,599 with. I was waiting for the armas price rework to get it since I was under the assumption that prices would be less severe. I would have just gotten it then instead. It's 50$ USD now.

Not sure why the price increase, sucks.

- Was informed that they had actually spoken about raising the pack prices before. Something I was unaware of. My b. Still sucks tho, oh well.

Edited by Teawing
- Clarification

On 2/9/2019 at 8:16 PM, NotZombieBiscuit said:

Ah that is good. I can keep sending you money without having ethical dilemmas then. Unless you are being dishonest, you know how some people can be. 

Is the next blogpost going to be midlife crisis edition then?

You're in luck @Nevv. Maybe you can send LO your animu weeb videos and people might watch them for once. :^)

That's an oof from me

On 2/12/2019 at 11:36 PM, CookiePuss said:

You know 3ps3 effects every time you equip the weapon right?

Not just when switching between guns?

Never heard of that before in like 6-7 years of playing. You sure its not placebo?

On 2/12/2019 at 11:37 PM, Nanometic said:

Because nading, push and swapping to your weapon again all in a split second. You use EM on a carbine?? Plus, literally every valentine weapon has that tagger, like the aforementioned STAR, which i'd rather MS on. Now if they made an actual uniqueness to the valentines weapons other than visual, I agree with let people buy it if they want, sure, i'm not saying you shouldn't, but for someone who has access to the love gun skin a tagger and a 3 slot variant, whats the point. 

I believe the original point was that, if someone wanted the valentines weapons, they probably already have them, so more versions should be made.

Also, MS isn't terrible on the carbine if you use RS1 MS IR3, i don't like using RS3 on the carbine. Ruins the accuracy for when you crouch and aim, which you can use to get people at 40-50m 

Edit: also the switching to secondary comment doesn't make sense, 3ps3 is changing to that weapon, not from it.

Yes, I use EM on almost every single weapon I use. It lets me get 2-4 kills without reloading. I die more to reloading without it than with EM. Those extra "6-12" shots depending on weapon imo matter a LOT. It's amazing on the Tyr norsman (think thats the one with accuracy gain on fire) and a few other weapons

There is no point aside from wanting cosmetics /shrug

I've never really seen MS used on carbine because most people either use 1 slot, or 3 slot with different mods. I've never understood why you would use ms on it, but I was never one to main the weapon either, so that's probably why. (I use obir/obeya/Bullshark when using marksman weapons for the weapon role most of the time).

You're the one who said "Except if i want to put a different purple mod on there? like 3ps3 or MS?" My point was  as you said, you don't normally switch from pistol to carbine in combat, its the other way around. So why would you need 3ps? Hence my confusion. I almost never use 3ps on cqc weapons because I always have it out in the first place, would be interesting to test, but i'd probably miss my EM3 too much.

Edited by Noob_Guardian

On 2/12/2019 at 11:55 PM, BXNNXD said:

discussion privileges revoked

//EDGELORD SPEECH ENTRY IDENTIFIED

''INITIATING ACTIVATION CODE'': -66

//ENTRY CODE:

[1101100011011101101110101010110110]

COMMENCE

Edited by Noob_Guardian

On 2/8/2019 at 9:51 PM, CookiePuss said:

That's pretty hardcore. 

Aren't Smaug's eyes orange?

I'll be honest I haven't see that movie since it came out. 

#shouldhavehiredlittlepeople

Cookie trying to save himself from being banned again.

On 2/9/2019 at 12:13 PM, MattScott said:

I appreciate the kudos. I've been leading companies and actively developing software for more than 20 years, but building transparency week after week on a project this size is one of the most challenging things I have ever done. There are days where I spend all my time answering players and writing/editing blogs, posts, newsletters, tweets, or other communications to try and share where we are at. And then there are other days where I have to ignore everything because I have other more pressing matters. There are too many moving parts to always have a solid timeline that we can hit. We had intended to do the ARMAS update in January, but the scope of it took much longer than we intended. So our only choice was to just keep plugging along and have a quiet month. Given the history here, your fears are totally valid. While I'm proud of our progress, Little Orbit still hasn't delivered on anything game changing enough yet. We'll get there.

Fairfight, undoing unjust bans, putting the EU into tester hands, events, ARMAS reworks, blog posts, active CM and GM's, CEO being active on the forums, a roadmap, sticking to the roadmap, admitting when things aren't going the way of the roadmap.....

Yeah... I'd say a lot of those things are quite game breaking around here.

23 hours ago, Noob_Guardian said:

//EDGELORD SPEECH ENTRY IDENTIFIED

''INITIATING ACTIVATION CODE'': -66

//ENTRY CODE:

[1101100011011101101110101010110110]

COMMENCE

What does "Øݺ­" mean?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nymphi--DoubleDee said:

What does "Øݺ­" mean?

"i deeply apologize for my grievous misuse of em3 on the carbine"