MattScott

Progress with UE3.5 / Integration

On 2/1/2019 at 7:19 PM, Latsha said:

inb4 Matt allowed single-time NDA breach to see who really is loyal as an SPCT member lul

He has given the permission officially on paper

On 2/2/2019 at 11:16 PM, SkittyM said:

i definitely don't disagree that it's low priority, but it's on my list of qol changes i'd like to see eventually. i just want the symbols to at least look good in the editor

it's completely fair to use jagged primitive textures during gameplay for performance reasons, but damn i'd expect the editor where not much is being rendered to be higher quality, y'know

10 hours ago, Nitronik said:

Not sure bumping character poly count is a good idea - you'd have to rebake most of the normal maps for instance*, potentially even reworking the geometry for each clothing asset (given how they're kind of "stitched on" to the human mesh)

If they're going to double the res they'll need to rebake everything anyway, the tougher part is the morphs. I personally don't see the mesh changing ever and luckily, it simply doesn't really need to.

2 hours ago, Uru! said:

i definitely don't disagree that it's low priority, but it's on my list of qol changes i'd like to see eventually. i just want the symbols to at least look good in the editor

it's completely fair to use jagged primitive textures during gameplay for performance reasons, but damn i'd expect the editor where not much is being rendered to be higher quality, y'know

There are other things that would help with that aside from texture res changes. If they added some kind of anti-aliasing to the symbol projection it would already look a lot better.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WhiskeyTangoFoxX said:

I personally don't see the mesh changing ever and luckily, it simply doesn't really need to.

I really wouldn't say it doesn't need to, lol. As someone in the APB render community you should realize just how horribly low poly APB models are at this point.

Sure, the game functions with the current meshes, but if they want a new audience they really need better models on characters, and preferably guns as well.

19 minutes ago, WhiskeyTangoFoxX said:

There are other things that would help with that aside from texture res changes. If they added some kind of anti-aliasing to the symbol projection it would already look a lot better.

True, but an option to up character textures sizes, even with the same source texture sizes, would arguably be preferable.

I do "love" when I need to add gradients to simulate AA on cars though, lol. (I actually don't know why it works, because it doesn't look quite like AA, but it makes lines look better. . . so whatever.)

40 minutes ago, Kewlin said:

I really wouldn't say it doesn't need to, lol. As someone in the APB render community you should realize just how horribly low poly APB models are at this point.

Sure, the game functions with the current meshes, but if they want a new audience they really need better models on characters, and preferably guns as well.

True, but an option to up character textures sizes, even with the same source texture sizes, would arguably be preferable.

I do "love" when I need to add gradients to simulate AA on cars though, lol. (I actually don't know why it works, because it doesn't look quite like AA, but it makes lines look better. . . so whatever.)

As a renderer of course I'd love any and all improvements to topology and textures, but for in-engine stuff in almost all cases the models are good enough. Not up to modern standards, but good enough. Now, don't get me wrong, if LO can do it I would be hugely in favour of it, but I'm also very aware of just how huge of a mountain of work it would be to remake every single body and face morph on new topology, let alone every single clothing morph too. Weapons are stupidly low detail though and imo they absolutely need an update more desperately than character meshes.

The idea to upscale the current textures to combat the projection issues is interesting and I would approve of it as a stop-gap solution.

18 minutes ago, WhiskeyTangoFoxX said:

As a renderer of course I'd love any and all improvements to topology and textures, but for in-engine stuff in almost all cases the models are good enough. Not up to modern standards, but good enough. Now, don't get me wrong, if LO can do it I would be hugely in favour of it, but I'm also very aware of just how huge of a mountain of work it would be to remake every single body and face morph on new topology, let alone every single clothing morph too. Weapons are stupidly low detail though and imo they absolutely need an update more desperately than character meshes.

The idea to upscale the current textures to combat the projection issues is interesting and I would approve of it as a stop-gap solution.

I guess it's not necessary per se, but if they want to essentially re-launch the game it would certainly help them out IMO.

weapon meshes might be more important though, and new textures for the VAS series at least, lol.

(Pls gib stop-gap solution. . .  T~T)

3 hours ago, moneychixx said:

CAN WE GET SOME SWEET LEAKS FROM THE ENGINE 3.5 PC

Sure thing, just don't tell anyone 😉

APB3.5.png

I tried to make a joke ... Sorry if people assumed anything, SPCT members are under a Non Disclosure Agreement which prevents them from disclosing any details, other than allowed by specific exception.

Edited by Kevkof
Sorry
  • Thanks 2

APB3.5.png

I don't see the content of this screenshot .

open communication SPCT  this will add options to solve the problem .

Edited by Yood

6 hours ago, Yood said:

APB3.5.png

Obviously a hidden Easter egg

Edited by IRyanI

36 minutes ago, SkittyM said:

I didn't know you could get those rims on the Growl.    Have to see what i can do with those myself.

Yeah, those look pretty good, not gonna lie

42 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

helo link no work pls help?????????

5fvfm11.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevkof said:

APB3.5.png

Wow. Thanks.

It looks awesome. Will it run on Pentium 4?

8 hours ago, Kevkof said:

APB3.5.png

Reveal hidden contents

I tried to make a joke ... Sorry if people assumed anything, SPCT members are under a Non Disclosure Agreement which prevents them from disclosing any details, other than allowed by specific exception.

Damn this is fire. Cant believe we are actually getting new district.

8 hours ago, Yood said:

APB3.5.png

I don't know if something's wrong on your end.

The dynamic lighting in the screenie is literally lit.

Awesome screenshot!

This is by running APB on an RTX gfx hardware, right?

Also nice paint on your Vegas. Pity it can't do wheelies anymore...

Honestly this is all what we asked...without screenshots but if spct's can post screenshots...that's all most of us wanted.

Now @MattScott i have posted a video 5 months ago with a freecam in the new UE3.5 and you said that what you guys had back then is nothing like what i had. After reading your post i would like to ask again. Was there any difference between the video i had and what you experienced? 

Edited by Keshi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Yood said:

APB3.5.png

why can't i see this 😢 

On that beautiful screenshot, do I see a new haircut option?

Oh, LO didn't say that is adding new elements!

3 minutes ago, moneychixx said:

LOL NICE SCREENSHOT BAIT WE ALL KNOW ITS A FAKE LINK!!!

THAT SCREENSHOT IS MONEY IN THE BANK!!!