MattScott

Progress with UE3.5 / Integration

53 minutes ago, Kewlin said:

Yeah, let's take the APB that had a great art direction and replace it with the one made when G1 had no artists.

Great idea.

I don't overly mind changing the color coding, but changing nearly every grey brick building into red bricks is fucking awful. Not to mention console social is fucking hideous. The textures weren't reworked, they were replaced with shit.

Ye I agree. Social looks like wannabe baby blue swimming pool with 128x128 tiles enlarged to 512px and trying to look HD. Blue and ugly floors is all I remember from console social.

When it comes to action districts yeah random eye fucking crayon city with some nonsense tiles on the wall here and there.

After 10 years of war I think it would make much sense to make the city look even more dirty then it originally was.

It would be much easier for them to replace textures with higher resolution equivalent instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.

Edited by Clandestine
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ShyLO said:

One bug I have run in to is in the character creation suite where you can only see the silhouette of your character, not any features.

Complete the game on Hard difficulty to unlock this character.

• Like 2

If we've waited 4 years, we can wait one more :classic_tongue:

No but seriously, appreciate the updates. You may be a month or so behind but old G1 was years behind. I call that an upgrade.

Edited by SilverCrow
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

Complete the game on Hard difficulty to unlock this character.

Brutal.

Thanks Devs and SPCT for all your hard work. I look forward to the finished product.

Are there tracers in the new build by any chance?

Just now, indi said:

Are there tracers in the new build by any chance?

Since it's based off of the console build we can basically assume there are.

2 hours ago, owzzy said:

Wouldn't mind seeing some fog make its way back into the game. Gave the game quite a nice 'themed' atmosphere imo.

2 hours ago, Trivirium said:

Well I wouldn't mind a warmer picture that's for sure. APB has always felt cold, given the nearly white lighting.

Both are possible if they can make a weather scheme better than what it is in a future update

2 hours ago, General Lee said:

There was a time i was putting 15 hours a day into APB.

Only 15 ? scandalous !!! lol

Hope they get the chance to test if blowing up too many cars will blow up the world into little triangles like that bug used to exist

It was annoying to crash the server in a heated match accidentally but  great to get the tryhard type of  golds out of bronze at least *shrugs*

I always felt bad for the ones who just happened to go gold who were not a true gold though. rip.

has the iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii bug returned?

Most of ideas I had in mind were covered already, so I'll turn the tide with something positive.

I was absolutely stunned by the night time visuals on the upgrade. I am one of many who play the ordinary game on minimal settings, in order to preserve performance and also have less screen clutter to deal with during gameplay. On the upgraded client I have stuck to the ultra graphical settings, partially due to the visuals at night. Colors are way more vibrant and the increased foliage does wonders in bringing out the greens in the otherwise blue night light. Everything from the brightly lit indoors to the dim and dingy alleyways look stunning in comparison to what the current live engine looks like, while still honoring the unique artstyle of APB.

It's obviously not GTA V but it is, in my opinion, a super solid foundation. I really hope we'll be allowed to share screenshots in the near future.

I personally hope to see stuff like dynamic lighting on headlights and police sirens in the future, I think that would compliment the current visuals greatly.

Love you.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

I went and walked around all districts for hours to find all sorts of lighting and collision glitches and found a lot more than I would have liked, but I have to say that I personally like the palette changes quite a bit more than I anticipated from what I saw in screenshots. Though the post processing needs some serious rework, contrast is insanely high right now.

Very much looking forward to have an opportunity to share more in the future!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rooq said:

the brightly lit indoors

Hmm. . . Sandford Baylan Logistics Import/Export's nuclear lighting in one hallway comes to mind.

Please tell me that's still there, lol. "Best" part of the console release.

1 hour ago, WhiskeyTangoFoxX said:

I went and walked around all districts for hours to find all sorts of lighting and collision glitches and found a lot more than I would have liked, but I have to say that I personally like the palette changes quite a bit more than I anticipated from what I saw in screenshots. Though the post processing needs some serious rework, contrast is insanely high right now.

What about the Grand Warf PDSP railing? (Inside the North side of the building. . . not as much the building as the weird concrete semi-walls under the catwalk thingies.) Can't remember if I ever reported that glitch for the console release or just thought about it.

Though there were tons of issues with fences and railings overall IIRC.

1 hour ago, WhiskeyTangoFoxX said:

would be nice to get a contrast slider in the options... or generally more adjustable graphic / shader settings like 'intensness of bloom' and 'intenseness of motion blur'.
from what I've seen on consoles, it seems like shadows are just too dark.
also, as rooq already mentioned: dynamic lighting for headlights and police sirens would be nice... at least visually the game should keep up with more modern games.

as others mentioned: too much colorful texture changes ain't that great... the city should look flashy, but destroyed / dirty.

4 minutes ago, Snubnose said:

would be nice to get a contrast slider in the options... or generally more adjustable graphic / shader settings like 'intensness of bloom' and 'intenseness of motion blur'.
from what I've seen on consoles, it seems like shadows are just too dark.
also, as rooq already mentioned: dynamic lighting for headlights and police sirens would be nice... at least visually the game should keep up with more modern games.

as others mentioned: too much colorful texture changes ain't that great... the city should look flashy, but destroyed / dirty.

What we need is custom LUTs.

Edited by Kewlin
removed emoji. . . damn you auto emojis. . .

6 hours ago, MattScott said:

Some elements need to be removed,

🤫

Something to do with those indestructible power pylons maybe?

Either way, curious what this could entail.

7 hours ago, Frosi said:

I honestly really like the new looks of the game as it looks far more vibrant then what we currently have on Live as fewer buildings are using the same light grey color template, there is also more foliage in certain areas which just adds to the looks of the game while not getting into the way of firefights. All in all, the visuals are great and the game looks far cleaner and less washed out which is a huge plus in my book.

Im so hard rn

I'm surprised that out of everything, we have a near 1:1 version of consoles, or otherwise current LIVE that is playable for the most part.

But I do like the current bug of where character editors (Body and Clothing) display the character as solid black.  Was fun making Skitty without being able to see her.

2 hours ago, Clandestine said:

Can someone tell me if 4x4 wheelies are alive?

As Matt had stated before, Its based on the console version, and since you can't do wheelies on console, I'm 99.9% sure that you can't on the new PC version.  This is subject to change however depending on what LO wants to do.  At least the normal Vegas was given suspension.

Edited by SkittyM
  • Like 1

Curious. Have physics changed at all? Apart from 4x4 wheelies.

Edited by Healt

@MattScott Sounds awesome the new engine is in testing however alot of these quality of life updates have been needed in the current engine for yrs. Collisions have always been wonky and tend to cause random suicides or other stuff to occur when they arent supposed to (see the links for some examples). Car hit boxes themselves tend to be abit wonky as well which causes hits to occur when they arent supposed to, or explosions not to kill when your within the explosion range or kill you when your clear of it. Threat and matchmaking are obv another big quality of life that needs immediate addressing as the current setup just doesn't work, period. Kiosks can cause suicides as well at random when hit by a car (when not supposed to) so while looking at those it would a good idea to look over how they cause these to occur.

Another quality of life is hitreg. I know it was attempted once before but its still broken and each day hitreg can be different where one day its fine the next ur shots dont reg for anything. I would think this to be the result of servers that cant handle APB in its current old engine so its abit concerning how they will handle a newer engine that will require more out of them.

https://plays.tv/s/M4JjJJ8CtK5q

https://plays.tv/s/M4JkjZ3yVIfG

https://plays.tv/video/5bef9df5daf61b2398/wtf-10-apb-apbreloaded-wtf-wtfmoments

https://plays.tv/video/5b988d5a1d77ef477f/what-is-logic-apb-apbreloaded-roadkill-suicide-wtf?from=user

https://plays.tv/video/5a55cdc3baa5a4018a/stairs-1-enemy-0-apb-apbreloaded?from=user

Big thanks to Matt for bringing the news and of course to all LO and SPCT members for working on making APB better.

I am one of those that wish this to happen a few years ago when I was able to give tons of time, as the current SPCT folks do, but as we all know, life is not fair, so I am stuck carrying only the memories of the old SPCT...

I expect not all of the bugs to be detected before going to live, but I hope people not to be frustrated and report them instead of exploiting them.

Matt, next news update will be next month or sooner? Please be sooner!

Edited by Saxtus
golks => folks, and some other minor mistakes
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Saxtus said:

Big thanks to Matt for bringing the news and of course to all LO and SPCT members for working on making APB better.

I am one of those that wish this to happen a few years ago, when I was able to give tons of time, like the current SPCT golks do, but as we all know, life is not fair, so I am stuck carrying only the memories of the old SPCT...

I expect not all of the bugs to be detected before going to live, but I hope people not to be frustrated and actually report them instead of exploiting them.

Matt, next news update will be next month or sooner? Please be sooner!

As much as I hate to say it this community will exploit any bug untill its patched. Some ppl will report it but as has been in the past it will be exploited by most up till its patched.

8 hours ago, Wewhoo said:

Very excited for future updates ! Keep up the communication, LO 🙂

Oh you're still alive ! , hi wewhoo !

8 hours ago, Kevkof said:

As most of us are aware, you can spam /cointoss to kick yourself from a server.

As to why you would do such a thing, I'll leave up to your imagination. 

When you do this in the client we're testing, it will crash the entire client. 😉 I'm not sure if I'd per se want that to get fixed, maybe just have it be a graceful shutdown instead of a full crash 

Shieet , how am i going to gamble with people now 🤨