MattScott

Progress with UE3.5 / Integration

I suppose I'll add to this with one bug that I found about 2 days ago.

So on the District Selection screen when you first log in, if you go to the Groups & Friends menu and left click on any name in any section (Group, Friends, Clan, etc), your inputs are completely locked out. Period. No buttons on your keyboard or mouse clicking will work. So you're forced to restart your game completely. This is due to the fact that the current build (since there are some console aspects and all still there) is supposed to display a small Interaction menu after clicking the name (Whisper, Ignore, etc). This does not show up on the District Selection screen. And as long as that Interaction menu is 'up', you can't do anything else until you select something from it.

So yeah, there's my tidbit. 😛

Edited by Sadira
  • Like 4

The fact it's already in testing is reassuring, anxiously waiting for us plebeians to be able to test as well.

I have various older PCs of different caliber to test performance on

At least we got some news. keep it up matt

• Like 2

I still can't believe we've actually got communicating devs for APB now. Especially with such a detailed insight.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Shini said:

Spamming F too fast on cars or anything that makes an animation teleports you into the skybox for a few seconds :classic_blink:

Do Not use macro on f button?!? 

1 minute ago, GhosT said:

I still can't believe we've actually got communicating devs for APB now. Especially with such a detailed insight.

Yeh, one of the reasons I'm happily being SPCT. G1's SPCT or whatever tests were a joke.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Only thing I want to know is if you're going to work on making the city not look like a box of crayons? Lol.

I'm not talking about the color coding, I'm talking about the texture edits.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kewlin said:

Only thing I want to know is if you're going to work on making the city not look like a box of crayons? Lol.

I'm not talking about the color coding, I'm talking about the texture edits.

I don't think they'll ditch the reworked textures and assets.

APB is going to be a colorful beautiful world, and no longer the dirty grey street war game we used to know.

We've got palm trees growing on concrete shipping docks now!

Edited by GhosT
  • Like 2

Ill chime in here as well. For me, the ability to test is about how fast I can get back in after finding something broken. The load times on 3.5 noticeably shorter. At the very best, I can go from the Launcher to in a district, in about the same time it takes to get fully logged in on the current live build.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 8

Just now, GhosT said:

APB is going to be a colorful beautiful world, and no longer the dirty grey street war game we used to know.

Yeah, let's take the APB that had a great art direction and replace it with the one made when G1 had no artists.

Great idea.

I don't overly mind changing the color coding, but changing nearly every grey brick building into red bricks is fucking awful. Not to mention console social is fucking hideous. The textures weren't reworked, they were replaced with shit.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Selali said:

Ill chime in here as well. For me, the ability to test is about how fast I can get back in after finding something broken. The load times on 3.5 noticeably shorter. At the very best, I can go from the Launcher to in a district, in about the same time it takes to get fully logged in on the current live build.

I'm assuming this isn't on an SSD 😛 I wonder what's happening under the hood to improve load times so much

Man i wish LO took over APB a couple of years ago. There was a time i was putting 15 hours a day into APB. I would love to be on the SPCT team and be an active part in rebuilding this beautiful game, but i just don't have time anymore with stupid work and general adulting.

Thanks for all the hard work LO and SPCT teams. Best of luck in moving forward to release!

• Like 3

actual engine upgrade news????????????

this is pretty great tbh

someone make sure a missing carspawner makes it to live, just for old time’s sake

3 minutes ago, GhosT said:

there’s a difference between tasteful recoloring and over saturation 

2 minutes ago, Kewlin said:

Yeah, let's take the APB that had a great art direction and replace it with the one made when G1 had no artists.

Great idea.

I don't overly mind changing the color coding, but changing nearly every grey brick building into red bricks is fucking awful. Not to mention console social is fucking hideous. The textures weren't reworked, they were replaced with shit.

Yeah, I'm fine with retexturing things, but all these oversaturated buildings don't fit into APB at all.

• Like 1

Very excited for future updates ! Keep up the communication, LO 🙂

Wouldn't mind seeing some fog make its way back into the game. Gave the game quite a nice 'themed' atmosphere imo.

• Like 1

Well I wouldn't mind a warmer picture that's for sure. APB has always felt cold, given the nearly white lighting.

8 minutes ago, Trivirium said:

Well I wouldn't mind a warmer picture that's for sure. APB has always felt cold, given the nearly white lighting.

That would work in like, the resort area of waterfront with the yacht docks and hotels around.

But G1 made pretty much half the buildings in waterfront (and financial!) super colorful, they look super out of place considering APBs previous design and lore.

The city has been at war for a decade, nobody's going to run around and paint the buildings. If buildings get recolored or redesigned, they should at least look worn out and dirty rather than painted a week ago.

Edited by GhosT
1 more sentence
  • Like 5

Maybe desaturating some of the colorful buildings could be a middle ground for the issue of a lot of us being torn about the new textures? Leave them with some new paint but less in-your-face?

Anyway this transparency is great and much appreciated

Peep

• Like 2

As most of us are aware, you can spam /cointoss to kick yourself from a server.

As to why you would do such a thing, I'll leave up to your imagination. 

When you do this in the client we're testing, it will crash the entire client. 😉 I'm not sure if I'd per se want that to get fixed, maybe just have it be a graceful shutdown instead of a full crash 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Selali said:

cool.

Btw.

On 1/30/2019 at 6:34 PM, Halelulia said:

I predict EU patch day for live servers on June 21

Great to have this transparency with the community, keep up the good work!

Edited by Basih

48 minutes ago, Selali said:

Yeah, I was not emotionally prepared for the shorter load time at all.

One bug I have run in to is in the character creation suite where you can only see the silhouette of your character, not any features.

This led to a hilarious surprise reveal situation when we first got into the game. 

• Like 4