Shamis

Threat - in all honesty...

What's the point of the current threat system if the difference in skill amongst "golds" is greater than the difference in skill of all the other threat levels combined?

Edited by Shamis

Weekly reminder that threat is just a graphical colour that hides your actual MMR/ELO Rating.

Edited by NotZombieBiscuit
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

Weekly reminder that threat is just a graphical colour that hides your actual MMR Rating.

Or a way to get into bronze districts when NA is temporarily dead...

• Like 1

Current gold has 14 threat levels inside of it. Matchmaking most likely still works with the old 30 threat system, but that one wasn't really balanced either.

Thing is, you can't fix matchmaking at this point, the population is just way too low.

1 minute ago, GhosT said:

Current gold has 14 threat levels inside of it. Matchmaking most likely still works with the old 30 threat system, but that one wasn't really balanced either.

Thing is, you can't fix matchmaking at this point, the population is just way too low.

Not what I'm talking about.

12 minutes ago, Shamis said:

Not what I'm talking about.

what are you talking about then? I'm confused

• Like 1

Honestly i see the "Threat System" only a simple and easy Color, nothing more.

Im sure that they will make a new one much better after the UE 3.5 so.

The year is 2022. LO has announced the change of the threat system and has finally been implemented. Instead of 4 colours it is now 50 levels. Everyone praises LO for saving APB, threat system, and the matchmaking. Despite this, no one knows they are still using the same Glicko system in the backend and nothing actually changed.

• Like 1

threat system is fucked up becous to much silvers in brons district and to much golds in silver district ... time to make a purple threat

53 minutes ago, GhosT said:

37 minutes ago, I3ox said:

what are you talking about then? I'm confused

30 minutes ago, AlishaAzure said:

Honestly i see the "Threat System" only a simple and easy Color, nothing more.

Im sure that they will make a new one much better after the UE 3.5 so.

5 minutes ago, TzickyT said:

threat system is fucked up becous to much silvers in brons district and to much golds in silver district ... time to make a purple threat

Edited OP so it's easier to understand...

i can’t tell if op is asking for a different visual threat system to easily ID high golds or a better matchmaking system so that they don’t have to face high golds

Edited by BXNNXD
typo

40 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

i can’t tell if op is asking for a different visual threat system to easily ID high golds or a better matchmaking system so that they don’t have to face high golds

Might be positing that the MMR distribution within the colors is lopsided.

Personally kinda feel that the gold levels make up more total rating points than the silver and bronze levels do....

Trigger warning for yo weak pieces. Dont read if u r easily triggered.

If you are gold, then you are familiar with shooter games, you know how to do mission, you know the basics and probably more advanced things about APB, and therefore you are ready to play amongs normal (gold) players. Yes, there are people that are like rly good, and they will make ur arse bleed, but it is not an excuse to cry.

Sry, but being marked silver or bronze these days is like being a special kid in a special schools (bronze dist.) that are too slow to compete with normal students (players).

This is my opinion on this matter, and I think its fine as it is. Not perfect nor flawless, but its fine. But i am also ok if it will be changed in better dirrection.

More and more I just ignore threat.

Ive seen enough silvers outplay golds to know its not a great indicator.

On the bright side, a threat re-work is on the roadmap... so we have that to look forward to.

22 minutes ago, Nite said:

Might be positing that the MMR distribution within the colors is lopsided.

Personally kinda feel that the gold levels make up more total rating points than the silver and bronze levels do....

that’s just a consequence of having static threat levels instead of dynamic, since a majority of players will improve over time it’s only natural that threat distribution will be skewed towards higher threats - especially in a game like apb where the population is stagnant at best

24 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

that’s just a consequence of having static threat levels instead of dynamic, since a majority of players will improve over time it’s only natural that threat distribution will be skewed towards higher threats - especially in a game like apb where the population is stagnant at best

The great thing is this skewing of threat only affects the graphical indicator. The MMR/ELO behind the scenes is unaffected and thus so is matchmaking. So the excuse of matchmaking is one that is flawed.

1 hour ago, AxeTurboAgresor said:

Trigger warning for yo weak pieces. Dont read if u r easily triggered.

If you are gold, then you are familiar with shooter games, you know how to do mission, you know the basics and probably more advanced things about APB, and therefore you are ready to play amongs normal (gold) players. Yes, there are people that are like rly good, and they will make ur arse bleed, but it is not an excuse to cry.

Sry, but being marked silver or bronze these days is like being a special kid in a special schools (bronze dist.) that are too slow to compete with normal students (players).

This is my opinion on this matter, and I think its fine as it is. Not perfect nor flawless, but its fine. But i am also ok if it will be changed in better dirrection.

200.gif

1 hour ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

The great thing is this skewing of threat only affects the graphical indicator. The MMR/ELO behind the scenes is unaffected and thus so is matchmaking. So the excuse of matchmaking is one that is flawed.

is it unaffected? the fact that threat is so easy to gain and the lack of dynamic limits (and gameplay experience) leads me to assume theres a lot of inflated threat players running around, which would affect matchmaking

15 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

is it unaffected? the fact that threat is so easy to gain and the lack of dynamic limits (and gameplay experience) leads me to assume theres a lot of inflated threat players running around, which would affect matchmaking

APB basis its matchmaking on the players MMR/ELO rating not their threat level. Threat level is just a general indicator of that rating.

Edited by NotZombieBiscuit

If you think the difference between the top and bottom of Gold is greater than the rest of the threat spectrum combined. . . I'm not sure when the last time was you faced a Bronze or Green. . .

. . . like, you're lucky if a Green even knows how to press LMB, much less LMB and RMB at the same time.

IMO there is no perfect, or even really good skill rating system out there. As far as things go, APB's isn't all that bad.

You know what they should do? Take gold 8-10 and recolor it to platinum. Don't change anything else just recolor it. It wouldn't be a fix but atleast you'd know what you are up against. That can work until they actually change the system.

Edit:

Actually make it:

1-4 displayed as gold

5-7 displayed as platinum

8-10 displayed as diamond

Visual change only, everything is treated like right now. I'd guess giving a better indicator of what you are up against would ease the mind of some people atleast. Also maybe more players will try to improve to reach those new shiny colors.

Edited by VanilleKeks
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, VanilleKeks said:

Visual change only, everything is treated like right now. I'd guess giving a better indicator of what you are up against would ease the mind of some people atleast. Also maybe more player will try to improve to reach those new shiny colors.

I don't think they would even bother. However I wouldn't be surprised if there is another circle jerk with clans regarding people's ranks again.

*cough* join emotional

• Like 1

The Green and Bronze levels are a joke. Anyone here could make a new account and go from Trainee to Silver or Gold in 3 missions or less. I've done it and I am old and not that good. 

They both need to much longer to stay that threat and get used to the game. And for God's sake when they login to play, put them in Green and Not Silver by default like it seems it does now. 

Alot of these people WILL NOT LISTEN they only want to run around and kill civies and explore. 

That's OK, but they are doing it while they are in a mission. Which results in a mad teammate killing them. Which then results in quit and uninstall. Green district should be the go to district for actual Trainees, Greens and Bronzes. 

Once you go Silver 1 time you can never go back there even if dethreated. 

Always this never ending debate about this and nothing happens. 

Just wait for engine upgrade talk. 

What in the hell would be the harm in just doing a simple experiment like this. 

If doesn't help it doesn't help but please let's attempt SOMETHING! 

I would much rather see slight attempts and tweaks like this every update than weird 3 faction events that are always a rocket launcher fests anyway. 

36 minutes ago, VanilleKeks said:

You know what they should do? Take gold 8-10 and recolor it to platinum. Don't change anything else just recolor it. It wouldn't be a fix but atleast you'd know what you are up against. That can work until they actually change the system.

That would just make people decide missions are unfair before anyone's fired a shot.

16 minutes ago, Havana said:

The Green and Bronze levels are a joke. Anyone here could make a new account and go from Trainee to Silver or Gold in 3 missions or less. I've done it and I am old and not that good. 

They both need to much longer to stay that threat and get used to the game. And for God's sake when they login to play, put them in Green and Not Silver by default like it seems it does now. 

"Not that good" is relative. You're still familiar with using the TPS camera to your advantage, you're familiar with the game's movement, the recoil mechanics, the aggressive damage drop off and with the maps. 

Someone new to APB might legitimately take a lot more than 3 missions to go Silver or Gold. Just cos you're not as good at those things as the best APB player doesn't mean you haven't got skills that a new player doesn't.

EDIT: Lacking clarity here. Bronze is an appropriate level for a new or relatively new player. If you or me, as an experienced player goes Silver or Gold on a re-roll straight from Trainee, then I'd say that aspect of the system is working. Threat is not meant to be progress - there's nothing wrong with going Silver / Gold in 3 missions if that's how good you are.

Green is just a joke, though. You need to be running at about 3 fps to be that bad.

Edited by MrChan