Would this be a good system?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Would this be a good system?

• Yes
    • No

One of the many problems I see with the game at the moment is the fact that the tutorial system might cover most things it's not easy for new players to transfer the tutorial to real gameplay.

Something I would like to see is the reworked version of the refer-a-friend system where you get randomly assigned a new player that speaks the same language/languages you do.  This would prevent someone from abusing the system and getting all the rewards with a friend and if we go from languages it would prevent a language barrier. You will spectate some missions (spectator mode from the winter event) and they can ask you questions about the game and its different mechanics. ( The only reason there would be rewards is so that players would be motivated to join the program as a "mentor")

The players that are in the program would need to be approved somehow so we don't let some toxic players go in and flame these new players just trying to learn

I know that LO has a lot of things to do at the moment so I'm not saying that this needs to be done now but if something like this gets implemented in the future it could potentially improve the number of new players that stay in the game

OBS: There is still an "issue", how could we filter the appropriate people from the not so appropriate people. Got any suggestions?

Also, I'm working on a more complete version to post as a game suggestion so please leave some feedback 🙂

Edited by I3ox
Updated some thing that people added
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I call for something similar in Star Wars TOR. Star Wars a movie based on master and Apprentice, but could not understand why a feature like this was not initiated into the game. But it is something that i think would be great in APB. Its done in real life in which Rookie cops are teamed with more seasoned cops. It gives new players a little more protection and can give seasoned players more achievements to unlock. Also there could be a history in Character Bio of your mentors etc..

Did we just do that thing where we both have the same idea at the same(ish) time and write out it with slightly different plot and characters but it essentially is the same and then people just remember the one idea that was released first and think that other was just a copy based solely on the release time?

Anyway I agree and think recreating the RAF program with a longer term rewards scheme in place is a good idea. It will need some heavy thinking and testing to make sure the rewards are not easily exploited and those in the program aren't abusing their privileges. I do like the part where the mentor is given a random newbie based on some basic criteria like a dating website, It will hopefully lessen any exploitation of the system. 

Like I said before though I do think the rewards should be shared. APB is full of free junk that has been given out over the years and new accounts have really missed out on some variety of items because they didn't happen to log in and exploit at a specific time period. And the anti-toxicity needs to work both ways - we can't have newbies reporting the mentors for abuse because the mentor refused to give them a free legendary etc.

Edited by KnifuWaifu

the same language thing would be really good for better communication however rewards and progress will be weird in this place. in my opinion people abuse this system again. the best thing to appeal other guys to play this game is advertising. even my close/gamer friends never heard apb in their lives. i know if people know this game and its potential maybe more players gonna play this game.

7 minutes ago, Meizaki said:

the same language thing would be really good for better communication however rewards and progress will be weird in this place. in my opinion people abuse this system again. the best thing to appeal other guys to play this game is advertising. even my close/gamer friends never heard apb in their lives. i know if people know this game and its potential maybe more players gonna play this game.

I also agree with this 200% , it helps build community.

52 minutes ago, Meizaki said:

Could you elaborate on the reward thing?

And this isn't necessarily about getting new players to the game, it's about keeping them here.

55 minutes ago, KnifuWaifu said:

Did we just do that thing where we both have the same idea at the same(ish) time and write out it with slightly different plot and characters but it essentially is the same and then people just remember the one idea that was released first and think that other was just a copy based solely on the release time?

Like I said before though I do think the rewards should be shared. APB is full of free junk that has been given out over the years and new accounts have really missed out on some variety of items because they didn't happen to log in and exploit at a specific time period. And the anti-toxicity needs to work both ways - we can't have newbies reporting the mentors for abuse because the mentor refused to give them a free legendary etc.

Yeah, we did that thing 😄

And yeah there should be a way for the mentor to "report" if the player he/she is helping is harassing him or something like that.  maybe it will reassign the new player to another mentor and when he/she has been moved around x amount of times he/she will simply be kicked out of the program

Edited by I3ox
fixed some stuff
  • Like 1

I'm happy to give most players advice, not free stuff.

Woudl love to see Refer A Friend back but reworked in a better way, no any additional words.

1 hour ago, I3ox said:

One of the many problems I see with the game at the moment is the fact that the tutorial system might cover most things it's not easy for new players to transfer the tutorial to real gameplay.

Something I would like to see is the reworked version of the refer-a-friend system where you get randomly assigned a new player that speaks the same language/languages you do.  This would prevent someone from abusing the system and getting all the rewards with a friend and if we go from languages it would prevent a language barrier. You will do some missions with them and they can ask you questions about the game and its different mechanics. ( The only reason there would be rewards is so that players would be motivated to join the program as a "mentor")

The players that are in the program would need to be approved somehow so we don't let some toxic players go in and flame these new players just trying to learn

I know that LO has a lot of things to do at the moment so I'm not saying that this needs to be done now but if something like this gets implemented in the future it could potentially improve the number of new players that stay in the game

This is not a suggestion. I just want to discuss it with some other players before I make a suggestion about it.

after reading this and not reading further i thought maybe of some other stuff t be added to this phrase or maybe idea's.

as i totaly can agree tutorial system in this game has no educational treats except just doing the missions whitout opp to get to know what u need to do. i would kinda suggest that there would be clans that could aid new players to enjoy the game more. stil i m totaly not certain of this would even help. a lot of players who play the game for a first time rather play alone. and the group that is stil playing this game is probebly not bigger than 2000 people on all servers combined.

personaly i don't think a program wil work like that. but i would suggest some system for recruitment of new players. so that new players who get in this game get in contact with experienced players a lot faster.

personaly i m comparing this game with the top 3 games in every genre and if u take all those comunication elements together in one game what apb could be than we can maybe talk about  some system that can work with these mentors u talking about.

stil i think apb is about making yourname in a game and around a community

There's one problem that I can see: New players play in bronze districts. The people they would learn from play in silver districts. This would result in the new player getting stomped on and ruining the game for them.

I do agree refer-a-friend needs to be a thing though.

1 minute ago, IROCkiller said:

There's one problem that I can see: New players play in bronze districts. The people they would learn from play in silver districts. This would result in the new player getting stomped on and ruining the game for them.

I do agree refer-a-friend needs to be a thing though.

Yes. I am aware of that.

I was thinking the "mentors" could just spectate, similar to the spectators in the Christmas event.

isnt this why we have the mentor program?

like not to rag on them or anything, they should be the ones helping the new players in bronze districts and the like.

it’s a nice idea and it would probably work really well in apb’s current state, but if the population ever increases (even if only back to several thousand players) i think this program would become less and less effective 

5 hours ago, Fenton said:

I'm happy to give most players advice, not free stuff.

That's what the tutorial is for, They get free items without even realising it.

I've started helping people do the tutorial (I know a bit ironic) instead of just "how do i make a car" still answering questions along the way.

idk, having to play a mission while paying attention to the newbie... i could never make it work this far.

can we get an spectator mode instead? i would actually love to log in just to watch newbies play and give advice.

34 minutes ago, TheOppositePolarBear said:

idk, having to play a mission while paying attention to the newbie... i could never make it work this far.

can we get an spectator mode instead? i would actually love to log in just to watch newbies play and give advice.

3 hours ago, MrsHappyPenguin said:

Can't help a noob when you can't join their district.

Updated the post to make it a bit more clear 🙂

I like the idea.  New player retention is the biggest problem in APB, and that is largely in part due to the ridiculous learning curve and it's very hard to get started without some guidance.  Some people need to be walked through most things, some just need to be told that the tutorial is actually really important for getting some required gear like grenades,then they're good from there on out.  A few issues come to mind, like what if one of you doesn't log in for a while?  If the experienced player stops playing for a while, would a new experienced player be assigned to the newbie, and same goes the other way, would a new newbie be assigned to an experienced player if the newbie decides to stop?  Could the newbie have an option to request a different mentor if they don't like their assigned one?  Personalities clashing is kinda unavoidable so I think that both newbies and mentors should have the ability to request a new partner, especially if just anyone can  be a mentor and not be hand picked by LO.  It would also be a good incentive to treat them nice, because if they switch to a different mentor, then no more rewards off of that particular newbie for you.  They should also have an option to declare their training over, as in "Thanks for the help, I understand the game well enough now,  I don't need a mentor anymore", so the vet can move on to a new newbie.

Edited by BrandonBranderson
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, BXNNXD said:

it’s a nice idea and it would probably work really well in apb’s current state, but if the population ever increases (even if only back to several thousand players) i think this program would become less and less effective 

Yeah.  That's the thing though. We will never get back to around 2k players if we don't get the new players to stay. Which this will probably help with  😄

18 minutes ago, BrandonBranderson said:

I like the idea.  New player retention is the biggest problem in APB, and that is largely in part due to the ridiculous learning curve and it's very hard to get started without some guidance.  Some people need to be walked through most things, some just need to be told that the tutorial is actually really important for getting some required gear like grenades,then they're good from there on out.  A few issues come to mind, like what if one of you doesn't log in for a while?  If the experienced player stops playing for a while, would a new experienced player be assigned to the newbie, and same goes the other way, would a new newbie be assigned to an experienced player if the newbie decides to stop?  Could the newbie have an option to request a different mentor if they don't like their assigned one?  Personalities clashing is kinda unavoidable so I think that both newbies and mentors should have the ability to request a new partner, especially if just anyone can  be a mentor and not be hand picked by LO.  It would also be a good incentive to treat them nice, because if they switch to a different mentor, then no more rewards off of that particular newbie for you.  They should also have an option to declare their training over, as in "Thanks for the help, I understand the game well enough now,  I don't need a mentor anymore", so the vet can move on to a new newbie.

This is something I haven't thought about.

I'd imagine that there would be a 3-4 to 1 ration so that that one "mentor" would have more than one new player to talk to ( might depend on how many join the "program"). But I think that the best thing would be like a clan page for the people in the program with the current "mentor" and buttons like "New mentor" and "leave program" with the ability to join again later.

For the mentors, there would be something similar. A page where they can find the new players they are taking care of and also the ability to "kick" players and find new players that need help.

Edited by I3ox
fixed some stuff
  • Like 1

if something like this would come in its works sign me up my guild i worked the hardest on was for new players intended mostly 

18 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

Logistically, this would be extremely difficult to coordinate. 

Yeah, well it depends on how you do it. It might not be an automated system. It could work similarly to the "open groups"

Ummm but this system would be for who? There are no new players in APB. Most trainees or lowranks are just new accounts of existing players.