Mobpi

Tips for being better

What makes you a better player on here. I know playing in general will obviously make you better as time goes on. Is fight club a really good way to improving, or just missions.

fightclub is obviously a good way to practice aiming but playing in the mission dis tricts allows you to learn the map better which is key. Don't be afraid to switch weapons if you're having trouble with a certain point. If it is in the open try something like an Obir, but if it is a tight alley try an OCA or something close range. 

• Like 1

There are some good tips and guides from veterans here

my own tip: switch around a lot in the beginning and try to find out which style suits you the best and then stick with it for the majority of the time until you feel you mastered it.
Then add another type/style and keep going, until you feel pretty good with a weapon from each style of fighting, while always having that primary role to fall back on that you prefer.
(by styles/roles I mean; close quarter guns, medium ranges, or snipers/dmr's)

• Map awareness/Positioning
  • Thinking about how to use the weapon you want to use effectively
  • Thinking about how to approach opponents effectively
  • Not getting enraged every-time you die - Learning from dying and mistakes
  • Playing reactively/dynamically - Constantly moving, always expecting
  • Not playing "slow and methodical" - Camping, sticking to one plan of execution and never wanting to change

Fight club will help you play more reactively. While missions will help you with map awareness and positioning.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Map awareness & Experience

hotbot already stated it- If you're comfortable shooting your guns, the biggest thing to focus on is knowing your surroundings. I would focus on one district...learn the ins & outs of that district. Alley ways, shortcuts, ledges, where doors lead. When you are facing people with 1000s of hours of playing in the 2 same maps, the alleys/streets become muscle memory no different from how you learn to aim and shoot.

Know the gun selection, and what counters what. This is a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors as much as it is a shooter. Certain guns will tromp other guns, and vice versa. Skill/Experience can be an exception in this regard, but again it takes quite a bit of time to understand when you are handicapped and when you are at an advantage.

2 minutes ago, LUST said:
  • Learning from dying and mistakes

/thread.

My favourite tip I like to give people (hehe) is to throw a perc before OR after you've hit an enemy with the N-HVR. Easy kills and easy money 😉

Finding your weapon or weapon combinations (the ones that you are good with). But experienced players are good with everything, and thats what makes them better.

I suggest missions over FC personally, but yeah, just play the game, and when you have the time do some reading.

1 hour ago, Mobpi said:

What makes you a better player on here. I know playing in general will obviously make you better as time goes on. Is fight club a really good way to improving, or just missions.

unless you want to practice aiming, do mission districts over fightclub, you see, there is a lot more than just aiming + shooting in these games, you need to know how to position yourself, be aware of your surroundings, you need the map knowledge

my recommendation? every time you die, ask yourself why, what did go wrong, what else you could have done, did you shoot without cover? did you rushed in alone vs 3 enemies?

polar_bear.jpg

Edited by TheOppositePolarBear

map awareness is a big one - so is using the little radar on the bottom right of the screen

switching guns to suit the situation - submachine guns are for CQC, not for going up against snipers 

pick your battles/be smart - oftentimes in deathmatch missions (the ones you have to reach a certain number of kills to win) i have teammates who will run towards the enemy all on their own over and over

Go on a alt account and start playing matches with random players. Then group up with your friends and compare the two situations. Are you the top fragger, a support that assist, a objective taker, a meatshield or just a filler that gets gunned down and ranted on. Based on that experiment, improve on the role you excel in. Practice by simply playing the game, each scenario will result you having to improve on what you have to offer.

Edited by iAdoreHer
Examples

Pistols in APB are a bit more useful than your conventional shooter. If you get the click rhythm right, they can potentially beat primaries.

Continuing on that topic - semi-automatic guns have an optimal click rhythm that takes time to learn, so don't dismiss guns like the joker carbine or obeya cr762 outright because of their difficulty.

Personally, playing a lot of FC has helped me improve. So much different types of players you fight instantly that it's good practice.

Try to find footage or streams of players who are good at the game; Pay attention to how they play and try to learn from it. Otherwise, it is a matter of time and consistently learning from mistakes. Fight club can help you with aim and awareness, but playing missions will make you a much better player in the long run. A lot of APB is strategy, knowing what to expect, and planning accordingly. This could mean using the proper gun setup for a particular objective location, knowing when to get out of your car, where to position yourself to give yourself an advantage over the enemy, etc... Lots of this will become second nature with time, but only if you pay attention to your game and actively try to get better.

Depends on how you're struggling; tact is a big thing I am bad at, when to push, flank etc. Think about what you need to improve on: Playing in silver dist and trying to figure what makes the gold teams who roll anyone over so much better than me has helped personally

Edited by Archon

Many good tips here, and I must be nothing close to the best besides also there are some guys who are so consistent in their level and their skills are top notch.

However, I'd start exactly there: consistency. If you manage to keep your focus without being pulled to rush like crazy, then you'll be able to do everything the guys already said here in your thread.

• The main error a lot of people always falls in every time is rushing objectives/enemies every time they respawn after getting killed, without waiting for your team to reagroup, which makes it a thing of the most basic math ever, in 4v4 mission where you have your 3 or 4 opponents camping the area of your objective, last thing that will work if they killed you is if you keep coming at them running from the same direction over and over without waiting for your team to coordinate at least.

• Also, I suggest you to search in the APB Weapons Data Base the stats of every weapon you try, learn their specific effective range then learn to be aware of said ranges when you are ingame. There are many other factors to consider in these stats too same as for mods which always have pros and cons to consider.

• Another one is try to learn the exact recoil and max fire ratio of each weapon you like, just shoot at the wall or any object you want and pay attention to where your shots land and how your crosshair bloom is affected in each particular situation and with each particular mod you use for your guns.

• Remember to never, ever engage in combat without making sure you have some coverage, also there's one single hitbox, with no headshots, and it is possible to land your shots even if the actual character is not totally visible, just pay attention whenever your crosshair turns red to check this.

• And keep an eye on what the objectives are about, in the top-right corner of the screen there's a mission brief that too many people always forget to check, so you can anticipate what kind of combat you might have if you learn what are the mission objectives.

There's a lot of mind games once you learn the missions, you'll learn a lot if you have the nerve to get it through the learning curve.

Edit: What learning curve? I see you are around since 2015, my bad.

Anyways, I'm giving advice when I'm far from getting better at all tbh, lol. But the APB data base have been my best friends in the lonely days where there was no one else to ask.

Edited by Salvick
Not biggie.

I would recommend using the pmg for a long period of time then move on to the ntec, and switch around between those two. Once u kinda master these two essential weapons then move on to the other weapons

Working around your teammates and not focusing on yourself.

Communication, regardless if it seems like your team isn't listening or understand, just because they don't have a mic, doesn't mean they can't communicate.

Choosing how you communicate, "Hey get in the car or youre gonna get killed, I need you!" Vs "Hey smart, get in the car, we're gonna lose cause of you!"

Look for a clan, hell bounce around some till you find your home , if people harass you for leaving, don't think of it too much, just know there's more people and groups out there that may or may not fit for you and have plenty of time to exolore.

9 hours ago, LUST said:
  • Map awareness/Positioning
  • Thinking about how to use the weapon you want to use effectively
  • Thinking about how to approach opponents effectively
  • Not getting enraged every-time you die - Learning from dying and mistakes
  • Playing reactively/dynamically - Constantly moving, always expecting
  • Not playing "slow and methodical" - Camping, sticking to one plan of execution and never wanting to change

Fight club will help you play more reactively. While missions will help you with map awareness and positioning.

Pretty much this, Well said LUST

I would also add knowing what weapon your opponent is using and how to play around said weapon but that is kind of covered in point 2

Edited by WingedArc

You might be the best player in the world but if your PC doesn't perform you will always appear to be struggling.

Same goes for your entire network config, router, ISP, server lag.

Excluding factors beyond your control playing in FC is a good way to learn how to use the weapons in APB.

• It teaches you control
  • How to approach multiple enemies
  • How to deal with multiple enemies
  • What to expect, being out gunned, out matched...
  • What happens when you go CQC with a Med-Long range weapon...
  • How your team mates don't care about you <Yes you are alone in FC for the most part.
  • Get to drive cars, run over players.

FC is the way to go if you need to experience the mechanics of the game and once you feel stronger, you need to continue practicing to get better.

I started out playing FC due to having a weak PC, (Baylan shipping best for low fps) and as I got into doing some missions it was apparent that I had no mission game sense.

If you are new to the game I would say FC is a good place and when you are ready start with some missions. Missions are different, you can choose how to play and in doing so it will determine the outcome. There are also different types of players that you will encounter.

• A group of random players (Randoms) in a team
  • A group of randoms using VOIP
  • A group of friends in a team
  • A group of friends in a team using VOIP
  • A mix, 2 randoms, 2 friends
  • A mix, 2 randoms 2 friends VOIP
  • A mix 2 randoms, 2 friends all using VOIP

You get the idea, a team could be a possibility of various individuals.

Then you have different types of mentally.

• I don't care what happens
  • Playing for fun, end result doesn't matter
  • Playing to win, winning is all that matters
  • Playing to win, end result doesn't matter
  • Taking it very casual, the team could perform much better if this player put more effort into winning.
  • The player(s) that is/are better than the rest, my team are full of noobs
  • The player(s) that constantly moan when things go wrong, they take no responsibility for their part
  • The player that is in a world of his / her own, your team is struggling and this player will appear to suddenly go awol somewhere on the map
  • The aggressive attitude
  • The passive attitude
  • The negative attitude
  • The positive / respectful attitude
  • The control freak, tells everyone what do to without a care to anyone else
  • Exploiters - Tactics that may be considered game breaking / cheating
  • The players that fail to acknowledge how other players do not share the same views, they believe some kind of rule set applies to missions. <If you run with an item they will give up / insult..
  • The players always looking for an easy win, will quit if things don't work in their favour or quit when things go wrong.
  • The player that quits to remain gold.
  • The brainless minds that spam non-sense
  • The intelligent player that remains quiet
  • Young gamers
  • Teen gamers
  • Older gamers

The list is bigger and what I am trying to say is that people / players are a combination of the above.

Somewhere in all of that you have a decent player that will always contribute to the team, they will always remain calm and respectful, to them success is not a result, it's a positive action.

Be whoever you are just expect to meet a lot of people that appear to have run out of sugar on a bad day. If you want to get better in missions and APB in general do not listen to all the non-sense you may experience during the game. There is only so much one can say to try and help, the end result comes down to you. Play to learn without being afraid of what the mission outcome may be as this will only lead you to the path of "playing to win - winning is all that matters". Taking the game too seriously isn't fun and using the same weapons / tactics over and over gets boring.

As time goes on what makes you a better player? Getting older 🙂 but on a genuine note, your attitude is what makes you a better player and the type of people you play with.

Edited by ElectroStingz