Sign in to follow this  
Seadee

Map Change Global Events

An idea i had been toying around with for other projects and i figured it might be nice to mention here just in case it is useful or perhaps inspirational for future versions of APB.

if you ever plan to updated Maps, perhaps make it so that the players have to interact with the areas that are being updated, a global event as such, rather than just flat out change the map and expect everyone to deal with it.

the initial though that triggered this for APB was ..

Seadee: maybe fix the highway, i mean i know roadworks take a while but its been YEARS

Whiskey: never seen a construction worker there tho

Seadee: we'd only kill them if there were

Whiskey: exactly

so with that in mind, you decide you are going to fix the highway, put in the missing segments and join it up to change the map dynamic, you set an event up before you apply these changes to the map.

Crim's have to kill the workers, because it disrupts the city and throws it into chaos, enforcers protect, after a few weeks of this back and forth, the map is updated, rewards are given out for participation, you could have the relevant "defenders" dependent upon the area of the map that is being modified, you could even go as far as having an Alternative art style depending on who wins, you could then work that into an event in the long run.

Personally i always like the idea of a dynamic event driven environment, even something as simple as number of footfalls should effect the environment.

Hypothetical game here : two towns either side of a forest, both player built, players move between towns to sell and buy goods, a lot of people will follow a set path, quickest path, so this one becomes worn (like real life) then you get to a "critical mass" and enact a sort of road building event, where npc's are making a proper road (thematically for the game) mobs try to stop them, you stop the mobs, the road will build regardless, but it will be faster if the guys dont die all the time, you now have a real road, maybe things move faster on real roads, even if you didn't do an event and just every few patches you took the stats and updated the environment, town is bigger because more players hang out there, roads appear due to traffic between towns, more monsters attack because of higher available sustenance (people)

tl:dr - you set a plan for bits of the map to change, have some sort of event, certain areas are Enfo or Crim, so those are the defenders in their respective areas, run this global event for a month before the patch that will update the map, boom everyone "feels" involved, gets some sort of reward and its "lore appropriate"

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Thanahr said:

As a crim, can they pay me to protect them?

that's an interesting idea, perhaps they could and you decide if you want to defend or attack it, could just as easily work for enforcers in such a way that the attacking Enfo's think the point is tactically important and shouldnt be messed with.

though i'd imagine perhaps at least 2 points one in an Enfo area and one in a Crim area would be active allowing players to both attack and defend, earning rewards either way.

36 minutes ago, Thanahr said:

As a crim, can they pay me to protect them?

I think highway in city is in interest of Mayor Derren.

Do you want enforcers to be winners in that situation? 🙂

• Like 1

Global Events sounds fantastic but like i said in other posts they need to do that thing in the best way possible or will destroy the experience more than now.

19 hours ago, Mitne said:

I think highway in city is in interest of Mayor Derren.

Do you want enforcers to be winners in that situation? 🙂

Depends, do I get paid? I can always backstab them later. Let Derren do all of this, assassinate them and put a crim in charge.

Furthermore, a smoother road means it's easier to evade the five-o...yes it's easier for them but ssh.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlishaAzure said:

Global Events sounds fantastic but like i said in other posts they need to do that thing in the best way possible or will destroy the experience more than now.

it's definitely not a thing to do half arsed, but i'd like to think the seasonal events and test events they keep doing are helping refine the mechanics so that it can work without being game breaking, i imagine this sort of thing appearing well into UE3.5 or even in UE4.0 it's not something i'd expect to be put into the current game.

I suspect the old gremlin of engine limitations is why this hasn't been done before.

Previous dynamic events were small scale: Easter/Drug mule: mugging NPCs to get holiday event items to collect, Butcher: 1 person finds a legendary OPGL and they go on a rampage in district while everyone available attacks them.

Recent larger event had needed a dedicated district for events even as small as Autumn Assault.

Equally an issue is that no one wants to disrupt other players who are already in missions, And lastly stress testing the servers would be needed to see if they could handle normal missions along side a dynamic event.

47 minutes ago, VickyFox said:

I suspect the old gremlin of engine limitations is why this hasn't been done before.

Previous dynamic events were small scale: Easter/Drug mule: mugging NPCs to get holiday event items to collect, Butcher: 1 person finds a legendary OPGL and they go on a rampage in district while everyone available attacks them.

Recent larger event had needed a dedicated district for events even as small as Autumn Assault.

Equally an issue is that no one wants to disrupt other players who are already in missions, And lastly stress testing the servers would be needed to see if they could handle normal missions along side a dynamic event.

exactly why i said it wouldn't work in this version of the game, it's something that might be an idea to include in a future version, probably the one built on UE4.0 .

this version of UE is barely able to function as an actual shooter, let alone a dynamic event driven map adjuster 😄