Sign in to follow this  
Mitne

GM tool: Swap crosshair colors

Hey. I got some idea which would help GMs with cancer of certain (triggerbot) type of cheaters.

How about simple command which will swap colors of crosshairs for all in district or/and player?

I don't think code-wise it shouldn't be that hard to code in such command for GMs to be at disposal. It would be more of check-tool and would help to prove suspicion if guy might use triggerbot or not.

I mean guys which got color-based triggerbot (which probably all now have) will start shooting friendlies all of sudden - turn that off and on certain times and you have clear case to me.

Username should be the same color (at least for now) as most of players "shot-or-ignore" reaction is based on that.

• Like 1

Idk from where did u get this color idea from. 

Red is the color with more wavelength amongst colors. That is why everything crucial and important are marked red. Let it be from traffic light, siren lights in ambulances, flares etc. Also red is quicker to notice among colors. Thats why dominos and pizza hut got red colors in em.

So..now i hope u understand why color red is soo important. Red is not much affected by smoke, fog etc as well

Fun fact: 80's kids loved superman cuz of his red colored cape

Good in concept until you realize that this solution will be obvious to the cheater, and they will then act accordingly. These kind of things have to be non-intrusive to the player as otherwise it will put them on guard knowing they are being watched. You don't want that.

58 minutes ago, Defibrillator said:

Idk from where did u get this color idea from. 

Red is the color with more wavelength amongst colors. That is why everything crucial and important are marked red. Let it be from traffic light, siren lights in ambulances, flares etc. Also red is quicker to notice among colors. Thats why dominos and pizza hut got red colors in em.

So..now i hope u understand why color red is soo important. Red is not much affected by smoke, fog etc as well

Fun fact: 80's kids loved superman cuz of his red colored cape

How is that related to topic at hand? Triggerbot is based on red color - when crosshair turns red, it's equivalent of holding LMB or setting it in some interval of time of pressing LMB (If you would use something like Joker carbine or need to tap fire with N-TEC) - that's pretty much all there is to it. That's why "red is important".

29 minutes ago, WhiskeyTangoFoxX said:

Good in concept until you realize that this solution will be obvious to the cheater, and they will then act accordingly. These kind of things have to be non-intrusive to the player as otherwise it will put them on guard knowing they are being watched. You don't want that.

Yeah. While I told such thing should deliver proof, it might as well deliver clue about player being legit or not. On first try (probably after they kill one or two teammates - possibly more while trying to turn it off), they will either swap colors ("i'm dum cheater") or turn it off ("I got some brain in myself. Someone messing with me?").

For sure though this 1 hour of him being afraid that "he was caught" might be enough of stress to either quit cheating or eventually get caught on the same thing again... and again... until it's pretty much proof in my opinion.

This situation repeating itself several times is proof on it's own.

Visual observaton don't work with shotguns triggerbots obviously.

Edited by Mitne

Color triggerbots are a thing yea, but most people cheating are using memory triggerbots which don't rely on the actual color of the crosshair. Good try tho.

1 minute ago, swft said:

Color triggerbots are a thing yea, but most people cheating are using memory triggerbots which don't rely on the actual color of the crosshair. Good try tho.

We can root them out and in case of memory triggerbots should be prioritized to be detected by anti-cheat itself.

Just for entertainment alone it's a funny idea. I can picture funny scenarios with this 🙂

But these kids at least make sure to use a while hold button feature so it won't fire by itself by detecting something else within the same color variables.

Another bad thing about it is they'd then know they're being investigated.

Edited by SilverCrow

8 minutes ago, Mitne said:

We can root them out and in case of memory triggerbots should be prioritized to be detected by anti-cheat itself.

Honestly, I don't think its worth it to implement something like this. Also as soon as the player notices that their crosshair color changed, they would just stop triggerbotting until it becomes red again.

7 minutes ago, swft said:

Honestly, I don't think its worth it to implement something like this. Also as soon as the player notices that their crosshair color changed, they would just stop triggerbotting until it becomes red again.

Better cheater who feels threatened than unthreatened.

Also you would run few runs along way with such suspected players. Each time he would "pass" test it's labeled as proof of trigger - like 4 or 5 test along his carrier (in random hours, in random days) and it's over.

Right now we litteraly have ZERO ways to detect any triggerbot but to believe BattlEye... it's quite a joke, don't you think?

Edited by Mitne

1 hour ago, Mitne said:

Better cheater who feels threatened than unthreatened.

Also you would run few runs along way with such suspected players. Each time he would "pass" test it's labeled as proof of trigger - like 4 or 5 test along his carrier (in random hours, in random days) and it's over.

Right now we litteraly have ZERO ways to detect any triggerbot but to believe BattlEye... it's quite a joke, don't you think?

I feel you but your idea simply isn't good. We need statistics based anti-cheat but the netcode is not good enough to accommodate this I assume.

58 minutes ago, swft said:

I feel you but your idea simply isn't good. We need statistics based anti-cheat but the netcode is not good enough to accommodate this I assume.

Problem is... what would be so abnormal?

Like imagine some guy having crazy K/D ratio for week... for example ~10.0.

Auto-flag?

FairFight was such statistic based anti-cheat, we all see how it turned out.

1 minute ago, Mitne said:

Problem is... what would be so abnormal?

Like imagine some guy having crazy K/D ratio for week... for example ~10.0.

Auto-flag?

FairFight was such statistic based anti-cheat, we all see how it turned out.

Fairfight wasn't being paid or even updated/maintained for years, despite what Tiggs used to say. This was confirmed by Matt himself. So I'd be willing to give the benefit of the doubt to FF or other statistics based anti-cheat.

21 hours ago, Mitne said:

Hey. I got some idea which would help GMs with cancer of certain (triggerbot) type of cheaters.

How about simple command which will swap colors of crosshairs for all in district or/and player?

I don't think code-wise it shouldn't be that hard to code in such command for GMs to be at disposal. It would be more of check-tool and would help to prove suspicion if guy might use triggerbot or not.

I mean guys which got color-based triggerbot (which probably all now have) will start shooting friendlies all of sudden - turn that off and on certain times and you have clear case to me.

Username should be the same color (at least for now) as most of players "shot-or-ignore" reaction is based on that.

Not bad idea but i don't think they are sleepy, i mean, cheaters.

Maybe some of them can get caught, i still hope that BE or something else in the future will be adjusted more and will kicks out all the last ones.

Isn't something difficult, it's a simple command that change color to the crossair of any player connected in that specific district.

Colour Triggerbots is like trying to stop macros.

While this is a solution, it is a tacky solution requiring a GM to be in district.

It's a skin deep solution which doesn't address the underlying issue.

And how long will it be before hackers invert the trigger so that it fires when the crosshairs stop being white? It won't matter what colour the crosshairs become over a target then.

Edited by VickyFox

do you really think this changes anything? how hard would it be to adjust that? like 0 hard.

this is a bad idea and op should feel bad 

On 1/17/2019 at 4:42 AM, Mitne said:

Well, I can see this fixing the hitbox triggerbot. 

Edited by xFelicia

19 hours ago, BXNNXD said:

this is a bad idea and op should feel bad 

this is a bad response and guy responsible for it should feel bad.

22 hours ago, LilyV3 said:

do you really think this changes anything? how hard would it be to adjust that? like 0 hard.

It don't fix all problems.

There is no skeleton key to cheater situation.

55 minutes ago, Mitne said:

this is a bad response and guy responsible for it should feel bad.

it’s been explained already so i didn’t feel the need to double down but

once your anticheat measures start affecting legitimate players it’s a real problem, how is a new player going to feel when his crosshair starts reporting enemies as friendlies with no explanation/warning?

not to mention that most color triggerbots can just add the new crosshair color in about 3 seconds

• Like 1

Yes. Let's annoy the legit population of APB to try and stop a minority with a method that won't even work and does nothing but annoy legit players.

Great idea OP.

Sorry but this is one of those times when the solution is rather disproportionate to the problem.

I could give a 10 year old lego mindstorm which is just an arduino and take them to make a trigger bot, a colour sensor positioned in the in line with a cross hair and then a robotic finger attached to second mouse left button 1...

It's really one of those things which is just easier to let staff try and develop better detection of such triggerbot software, rather than putting development into a countermeasure which may still need a GM to operate as you suggested.

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 1:21 AM, Fortune Runner said:

I would rather throw out crosshair color completely than make it chaotic like this.

No thanks I'll pass.

If you want to give cheaters even more advantages, sure.

Edited by LilyV3

23 minutes ago, LilyV3 said:

If you want to gove cheaters even moreadvantages, sure.

never said I wanted to change it from how it is now either.

On 1/17/2019 at 10:26 AM, swft said:

>statistics based anticheat

>90% of guns in the game are heavily influenced by RNG

ok lol

Edited by Thaumaturge