TheManWithoutName

alien invasion car

44 minutes ago, Shini said:

There was a short moment in time with last year or 2017 where buying an alienware was cheaper than building it yourself. This was due to GPU and RAM parts that Dell secured with their alienware builds being price locked during before the surge in demand for GPUs with bitcoin mining and all that. That was quite surreal actually.

i'm fully aware, i started working for dell at the time i built my new pc - i could've gotten it at near cost-price.

i'm definitely not moaning about alienware, the sidenote about their desktop pcs was really only a sidenote.

1 hour ago, Shini said:

There was a short moment in time with last year or 2017 where buying an alienware was cheaper than building it yourself. This was due to GPU and RAM parts that Dell secured with their alienware builds being price locked during before the surge in demand for GPUs with bitcoin mining and all that. That was quite surreal actually.

Either way, not sure why people moan about alienwares still, the demographic is clearly marketed at people that have the money but not the time or knowledge to build one themselves. If they had the knowledge of PC Gaming they could easily paid for a custom boutique build but constantly wondering why rich people are buying alienwares is silly, there's a clearly a market for people with money, no time on their hands along with a lack of expertise.

Even if you say building is easy, it requires a lot of research on whats compatible, lots of video or text guides and it is actually intimidating the first time.

It's litteraly taking GPU and CPU, looking for mobo fitting socket for CPU and if it support GPU you got, get correct to mobo DDR family RAM, getting cooling, get power supply and then PC Case to it.

The whole problem with people this days is that they do exactly reversed order. PC Case, power supply ("500 W is enough for my power-hungry build right?"), cooling (to what? Nobody knows yet!), some DDR ram, since you got DDR ram from that, mobo and then being suprised than newest CPU is different socket.

And there is no excuse. It's 5 minutes of reading guide, 5 minutes of looking up build and you don't even have to take this PC together if you really don't feel like building PC ("I might break something") - there are various services, probably many local to you which will do that for you.

You got sites which offer "ready-builds" guide. https://pcpartpicker.com/

You got many services which way more cheapily (and happily) take your PCs together from parts you have (with warranty to top that!)

You got also guides of all kind how to pick up anything to build you want: https://lifehacker.com/5827145/how-to-build-a-computer-from-scratch-lesson-2-choose-and-buy-your-parts

I understand confusion back then - cause you either were knowledgeable and knew how computer parts worked or bought ready-up setup of PC... Now? Now you got better for your wallet alternatives. Alienware just use niche of PC Players who are like "LUL I DON'T KNOW I JUST WANT TO PLAY GTA V ON ULTRA 4K".

That's why everyone are triggered by Alienware. As big moneygrab as Apple.

Edited by Mitne

NGL, been checking out gaming laptops and I think Im in love with the Alienware Area-51m.

yA1MxRO.jpg

...and honestly, if you dont think this thing is sick af... well I dont even know what to say to you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

NGL, been checking out gaming laptops and I think Im in love with the Alienware Area-51m.

yA1MxRO.jpg

...and honestly, if you dont think this thing is sick af... well I dont even know what to say to you.

I prefer my laptops to be slick and simple. The whole 'gamer' laptop design is a bit aggressive looking.

But then again I only use my small laptop like a tablet for drawing/note taking/reading/notebook duty.

Edited by NotZombieBiscuit

1 minute ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

I prefer my laptops to be slick and simple. The whole 'gamer' laptop design is a bit aggressive looking.

But then again I only use my small laptop like a tablet for drawing/note taking/reading/notebook duty.

I like my laptops to double as a blunt force weapon.

• Like 1

Just now, CookiePuss said:

I like my laptops to double as a blunt force weapon.

How about getting a firearm to defend your family you soyboy cuck. Or does your wife's bull do that for you instead. Cause lord knows you're not masculine enough to swing anything with some force.

1 minute ago, CookiePuss said:

yA1MxRO.jpg

Sure but I wouldn't pay for it 2,549,99$ - only because of cover (also this is basic version price...).

For comprasion this is one of laptops for $1,799 in the best version of it, with specifications better than it (but less "sick" looking cover. At least nobody think a lot about stealing it from you I guess?) - https://www.amazon.com/N950VR-i7-8700-i9-8950HK-Notebook-Computer/dp/B079N9ZHKJ?th=1

9 minutes ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

How about getting a firearm to defend your family you soyboy cuck. Or does your wife's bull do that for you instead. Cause lord knows you're not masculine enough to swing anything with some force.

You know he does.

He stronk.

Edited by CookiePuss

3 hours ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

but that is way too mainstream. Being in the news by having killed someone with your superexpensive notebook sounds so much better, don't you think?

Think about that cool news.

Nerd kills home invader with $2,000 Laptop for interrupting his LOL session at 3.am

Nerd explains in the interview: it was 3 am in the morning and those F*cking noobs were too Stupid doing their damn jobs so i had to carry them and jet we got totally roasted.  At that point that guy with the knife broke in to the living room through the window and my personal Ulti called nerdrage was so ready I just throw my laptop at his general direction.

The police later explained the invader was killed by a cracked skull caused by the sheer force of the laptop that hit him.

Edited by LilyV3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mitne said:

("500 W is enough for my power-hungry build right?")

it is though.

unless you go for intel extreme or something else ridiculous.

my 450w psu is enough to handle an i7 8700k @5.0GHz (x6) + 1080 Ti @ (moderate) 1750MHz

(i've bought a 750w for this build but couldnt bother finishing find time for sleeving its cables for the last 8 months xd)

i guess if both were under full load i'd have trouble but... hasn't ever been the case for the last year.

4 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

yA1MxRO.jpg

the chassis looks quite cool, the specs didn't sweep me of my feet (cmon it's not TOO special), the upgrade thing seems more or less gimmicky.

i mean having a desktop cpu (and gpu?) is quite nice, but probably not very cool x-d jk, 5? heatpipes is quite decent. i still wouldn't expect it to be on the level of any decent desktop cooler... but i gotta say the price seems fair to me? i mean cmon, you're not paying only for the gpu, cpu, ram and ssd but a quite good display and cooling as well as warranty. i wouldn't even expect the margin to be much higher than 25%.

Edited by neophobia

5 hours ago, Shini said:

There was a short moment in time with last year or 2017 where buying an alienware was cheaper than building it yourself. This was due to GPU and RAM parts that Dell secured with their alienware builds being price locked before the surge in demand for GPUs with bitcoin mining and all that. That was quite surreal actually.

Either way, not sure why people moan about alienwares still, the demographic is clearly marketed at people that have the money but not the time or knowledge to build one themselves. If they had the knowledge of PC Gaming they could easily paid for a custom boutique build but constantly wondering why rich people are buying alienwares is silly, there's a clearly a market for people with money, no time on their hands along with a lack of expertise.

Even if you say building is easy, it requires a lot of research on whats compatible, lots of video or text guides and it is actually intimidating the first time.

Or you could use a PC builder and not be lazy.. I parted out my first PC build using a compatibility site (PCPartPicker) and it wasn't THAT hard, there were a few things on my list I couldn't get but I just substituted parts anyways. It's just like playing with lego cept the pieces can be worth 700+. I had never built a PC before in my life let alone take one apart so it was neato sitting there for like 3 hours throwing everything together on my first build.

I'm not a mod but can we go back on topic, if y'all want to fight which is better Building or Buying a PC make a topic in the off-topic section.

1 hour ago, Trivirium said:

Or you could use a PC builder and not be lazy.. I parted out my first PC build using a compatibility site (PCPartPicker) and it wasn't THAT hard, there were a few things on my list I couldn't get but I just substituted parts anyways. It's just like playing with lego cept the pieces can be worth 700+. I had never built a PC before in my life let alone take one apart so it was neato sitting there for like 3 hours throwing everything together on my first build.

Like I said, it's not for people like you. It's for people that you class as lazy or people that simply don't have the time and/or know-how.

Edited by Shini

I'm non human and I'm entitled to get it for free however after seeing it no thanks. It's ugly.

Don't get me wrong, this is a nice way to promote things, especially APBs customization where you can say "this car was made in the in-game editor", but out of all the cars with extensive kits to promote the game with, they hand out calabrias with a simple design, a car that everyone replaces as fast as possible, which offers no customization outside of wheels and police lightbars.

Are they afraid a preset bishada/jericho/vegas would be overpowered or would reduce kit sales?

The previous promotion that included a car was from Computerbild Spiele, a german magazine - G1 went all out with this one and gave players a cisco with a back then unreleased kit and a unique design, which made the car special and people actually wanted it.

Edited by GhosT
  • Like 4

I miss the Urban Warfare pack and the likes, it's like they sorta had a Steam exclusive promo even though you had to pay for it. Idk if you could get that pack anywhere else or even right from Armas at the time.

2 hours ago, GhosT said:

-snip-

One would have to assume the goal is to get as many new players in, and buying better cars down the road. 

Regardless. A Cisco or RWD Vegas wouldn't hurt anyone if it was done up nice with a mix of kits and paint so long as it isn't slotted. 

But maybe that's where they get us. The car does have that open slot if it is just the starter car.

16 minutes ago, Trivirium said:

One would have to assume the goal is to get as many new players in, and buying better cars down the road. 

Regardless. A Cisco or RWD Vegas wouldn't hurt anyone if it was done up nice with a mix of kits and paint so long as it isn't slotted. 
But maybe that's where they get us. The car does have that open slot if it is just the starter car.

If LO doesn't fix the car balance issue, they can give them literally every car that isn't a pioneer, 4x4 vegas or even the espacio.

People WILL upgrade to those if you give them a cisco, bishada, jericho or whatever.

2 hours ago, GhosT said:

Don't get me wrong, this is a nice way to promote things, especially APBs customization where you can say "this car was made in the in-game editor", but out of all the cars with extensive kits to promote the game with, they hand out calabrias with a simple design, a car that everyone replaces as fast as possible, which offers no customization outside of wheels and police lightbars.

Are they afraid a preset bishada/jericho/vegas would be overpowered or would reduce kit sales?

The previous promotion that included a car was from Computerbild Spiele, a german magazine - G1 went all out with this one and gave players a cisco with a back then unreleased kit and a unique design, which made the car special and people actually wanted it.

This. It's actually unbelievable that they couldn't afford to give out better vehicle, after all this is probably a limited time only thing. They could've given out a car like the Han Veo or the Mikro with all the slots unlocked.

The Cisco was actually a pretty good reward back then, I'd say that the mod choice wasn't, but yeah...

Posted in a Discord:

I'm not a huge Alienware fan. They're overpriced imo, but they DO have an established name in gaming. So a promotion with them is good news, since it implies that LO has enough faith in the game to show it to potential advertisers/promotion dealmakers, and that those potential advertisers are willing to play ball with them. 

The car is meh, but the implications that a promotion has are awesome. Tbh the only other one that comes to mind in the last half decade was that little MechWarrior game, like with the police Mech/MechWarrior car we could get in game. (Was that even the name of the game?)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChellyBean said:

Posted in a Discord:

I'm not a huge Alienware fan. They're overpriced imo, but they DO have an established name in gaming. So a promotion with them is good news, since it implies that LO has enough faith in the game to show it to potential advertisers/promotion dealmakers, and that those potential advertisers are willing to play ball with them. 

The car is meh, but the implications that a promotion has are awesome. Tbh the only other one that comes to mind in the last half decade was that little MechWarrior game, like with the police Mech/MechWarrior car we could get in game. (Was that even the name of the game?)

alienware does have a load of promos https://de.alienwarearena.com/ucf/Giveaway

really everything from good to bad, big to small. and they did this for quite some years.

• Thanks 1

Hi all,

Here is some context on the choice and design for the Alienware car:

We were given an opportunity to participate, but not much time to execute.

We were told not to use the alienhead and given several other design limitations.

My team has never engaged in anything like this, so none of us knew how hard these codes are to claim. We weren't sure if existing players could easily get them, and we didn't want to upset anyone with some crazy car they couldn't get. While I think we could have done plenty of things differently, I'm not a fan of creating rare, unbalanced items for a random promotional giveaway.

We have a couple more of these opportunities coming up, so we'll continue to explore better ways to do them.

Thanks,
Matt

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Here is a better look at the car for the people interested.

dj34pAV.gif

Edited by Tobii
  • Like 3