Vexxous

Is progression too slow?

I haven't really seen any threads talking about this (or maybe there is and i'm just blind) but what are your opinions on the current ranking system. (ranking from rank 1 to rank 255)

I feel that it's too slow and that achieving max rank should be obtainable by a somewhat casual player. I'm not saying it should be too easy but somewhat just right. I have been playing for roughly 500 hours mainly across 2 characters on different servers and never have I felt that progression was fast.

Maybe I'm just interpreting ranks in APB wrongly but I view it as levels in a rpg game where once you reach the max level, the 'end game' would start, which wouldn't take any less than a week or two of playing to reach. (while you could argue APB really does not have a endgame, most/some of the things are locked behind a rank requirement)

Right now to me ranks just feel like competitive ranks instead where the higher ranks are rarer and indicate skill + playtime. Since high ranks are difficult to obtain.

Maybe,yes you can achieve max rank within like 500 hours or maybe way less but with premium and non stop grinding of missions (also finding people with the district you are on)  (not including social aspects such as making clothes and stuff)

I know at this point like 60% of the people who stuck onto the game is already probably max rank but what do you think of this issue? and what do you view rank as?

4 minutes ago, IzBleh said:

I haven't really seen any threads talking about this (or maybe there is and i'm just blind) but what are your opinions on the current ranking system. (ranking from rank 1 to rank 255)

I feel that it's too slow and that achieving max rank should be obtainable by a somewhat casual player. I'm not saying it should be too easy but somewhat just right. I have been playing for roughly 500 hours mainly across 2 characters on different servers and never have I felt that progression was fast.

Maybe I'm just interpreting ranks in APB wrongly but I view it as levels in a rpg game where once you reach the max level, the 'end game' would start, which wouldn't take any less than a week or two of playing to reach. (while you could argue APB really does not have a endgame, most/some of the things are locked behind a rank requirement)

Right now to me ranks just feel like competitive ranks instead where the higher ranks are rarer and indicate skill + playtime. Since high ranks are difficult to obtain.

Maybe,yes you can achieve max rank within like 500 hours or maybe way less but with premium and non stop grinding of missions (also finding people with the district you are on)  (not including social aspects such as making clothes and stuff)

I know at this point like 60% of the people who stuck onto the game is already probably max rank but what do you think of this issue? and what do you view rank as?

everything works as it should . perhaps in your game there is a method of Express matches .

Looking at APB's ranking system in any of the ways you mentioned is really not correct. If anything at all, the endgame starts at 195 where you can start using some useless and some good mods. Rank is largely meaningless in practice, it's not factored into matchmaking and if anything at all it's an indicator of mission play time. You can be high rank and terrible at the game as well as low rank and really good (especially if you take second characters into account.) Usually though high ranks are good at the game, but I've seen my share of bad ones too.

The whole skill indication gets thrown out the window again though if you account for people playing in Fight Club, which does not progress you, but does help improve skill.

Also, 500 hours is ridiculously little for max rank, I don't think it's possible at all, but again, after 195 rank is essentially meaningless, you can use all the good stuff after that.

• Like 1

If you really try-hard you can get from R9 to R255 in week (if you play non-stop with expection of sleep and eating).

One thing that doesn't get brought up often about APB progression is role progression, which is almost as important as rank progression. Things are way worse in that area though, the whole role progression setup is a painful grind requiring an ungodly number of kills to go from 1 rank to the next, probably done to push you towards buying the equipment if anything.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nite said:

One thing that doesn't get brought up often about APB progression is role progression, which is almost as important as rank progression. Things are way worse in that area though, the whole role progression setup is a painful grind requiring an ungodly number of kills to go from 1 rank to the next, probably done to push you towards buying the equipment if anything.

It's nice from rank 1 to rank 13... but then goes into hyper grind.

Although to unlock everything "worth it" you need at max rank 15. Rank 16 is just chrome skin and can be ignored.

Edited by Mitne

58 minutes ago, WhiskeyTangoFoxX said:

Looking at APB's ranking system in any of the ways you mentioned is really not correct. If anything at all, the endgame starts at 195 where you can start using some useless and some good mods. Rank is largely meaningless in practice, it's not factored into matchmaking and if anything at all it's an indicator of mission play time. You can be high rank and terrible at the game as well as low rank and really good (especially if you take second characters into account.) Usually though high ranks are good at the game, but I've seen my share of bad ones too.

The whole skill indication gets thrown out the window again though if you account for people playing in Fight Club, which does not progress you, but does help improve skill.

Also, 500 hours is ridiculously little for max rank, I don't think it's possible at all, but again, after 195 rank is essentially meaningless, you can use all the good stuff after that.

ok so now how long does it take to reach R195 is the question.

I mean looking at another side of this, rank doesn't really matter because you can use a star or a pmg right off the bat and still be somewhat decent at the game so I guess whatever I just said makes less sense and that rank is just for like mods and slotted car unlocks (which dont get me wrong is still important but most cars are unlocked by like rank 90 or something which doesn't take that long)

My original argument was supposed to be something along the lines of, is progression too long that casual players have a huuge disadvantage over hardcore players (or something like that) but i just realize how kind of invalid that is so, nevermind i'm gonna go off topic here.

5 minutes ago, IzBleh said:

I mean looking at another side of this, rank doesn't really matter because you can use a star or a pmg right off the bat and still be somewhat decent at the game so I guess whatever I just said makes less sense and that rank is just for like mods and slotted car unlocks (which dont get me wrong is still important but most cars are unlocked by like rank 90 or something which doesn't take that long)

My original argument was supposed to be something along the lines of, is progression too long that casual players have a huuge disadvantage over hardcore players (or something like that) but i just realize how kind of invalid that is so, nevermind i'm gonna go off topic here.

We had a guy on Jericho last year go from r9 to r255 in 28 days.

4 minutes ago, IzBleh said:

You unlock the ntec with one slot open very quickly, that lets you put IR3 or HS3 on it, which you can buy on the in game market for a small price hike (been a while, was like 75k for level 3 mods?) After that you're set. Also, both the STAR and the PMG are very good guns only slightly off-meta. Even an unmodded ntec will take you a long way. The primary disadvantage is not gear, but simply sheer skill. APB's skill ceiling is incredibly high and some players will keep pushing it higher. new players can't compete with that

35 minutes ago, Mitne said:

It's nice from rank 1 to rank 13... but then goes into hyper grind.

Although to unlock everything "worth it" you need at max rank 15. Rank 16 is just chrome skin and can be ignored.

Indeed, but rank 15 is the only way to get the sweet 3-slot weapons without paying, which are all available for purchase in ARMAS otherwise.

With how many kills you need to go from 13 to 15 you'd basically need to play only that role for every mission or FC round you do, and for a good while too, which is gonna be difficult with how dynamic APB's map design can be.

Coincidence? I doubt it.

Just now, Nite said:

Indeed, but rank 15 is the only way to get the sweet 3-slot weapons without paying, which are all available for purchase in ARMAS otherwise.

With how many kills you need to go from 13 to 15 you'd basically need to play only that role for every mission or FC round you do, and for a good while too, which is gonna be difficult with how dynamic APB's map design can be.

Coincidence? I doubt it.

On defending side though. That 3rd slot rarely matters and you unlock 2-slot version long before that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

U had all the time in the world to count?

@IzBlehTry pledging to a contact and play. Maybe u dont.

Just now, Defibrillator said:

U had all the time in the world to count?

@IzBlehTry pledging to a contact and play. Maybe u dont.

lol no, he was very public about it in /d 

his strategy was to forfeit any long missions like creme de la crime entirely, as well as any defend missions (I do not recommend this, it makes teammates very angry)

Was he on premium though? If he was it should have been faster, at least for someone who plays daily (and a lot of time, i suppose) 

6 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

Edited by _chain

as someone with a couple dozen characters, i think rank progression is pretty ok

• you unlock most of the "necessary" equipment (guns and mods) within a few play sessions, and all progression is dependent on you playing as you normally would even if there was no leveling up at all
  • apb has no real endgame since all gameplay content is provided via other players
  • it can be a little grindy, but since that grind is basically the only thing to do in apb i personally dont feel its a bad idea to stretch it out as long as possible

role progression on the other hand could use some work imo, mostly in the form of additional rewards to make the insane higher weapon role requirements more worthwhile to actively chase

It is roughly the same amount of hours as getting max prestige in older COD games. So I'd say it is about right for this kind of game, especially considered F2P.

12 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

lol no, he was very public about it in /d 

his strategy was to forfeit any long missions like creme de la crime entirely, as well as any defend missions (I do not recommend this, it makes teammates very angry)

I'm always trying to employ some though into my plays.

Although I never forfeit even long missions (but you surely can forfeit solo mission as they slow down progress a lot if they turn out to be just solo).

I have been playing for quite some time in some grinding games, I will not mention names but mainly I used to playing over 500 hrs and I almost got everything in those games.

In APB, the progression is way too slow, you achieve things quite slower than other games, I once played for half a year to maybe get few skins to my weapons (non-p2w) and the maximum things you can achieve in this game makes you be less worthy over other p2w people, which currently  gives them an advantage, but well. that's the game, I hope someday it will change and bring more players around.

Honestly I still grind my main (in weapon roles) and i'm playing here for like... what 4 years by now?

Usually reserving myself 2 or 3 hours per every day at time.

Edited by Mitne

Call me stupid, but i think, that progression is too fast.

Every new conatact is a 2 weeks of lazy game.

In APB there is no high rank content, and "max rank" is one of the most popular goals in game:

1. Max rank

2. Gold Threat / Gold 10 (I miss that system 😞 ), currently gold threat is a curse.

3. Maxed weapon/stabba (cops)

4. All achievements

5. Crown

6. Vegax 4x4/Bomb

Without high rank content or new goals there is nothing to do in game (i knew some guys who after maxing ranks, started new characters)

Edited by KpuTo3aBp
I am stupid in English

Yes most likely. So many years and I'm still 255. It feels like it will take another few to reach 256 hard cap

Apb is supposed to be a "MMO" Shooter. For a MMO kind of game leveling in this game goes very fast you can get maxed out playing normally.

Rank progression seems fine in my opinion. It lacks more rewards or unlocks along the line which could make it more interesting to level up faster.

For the most part you only really need to hit a few milestones, which would be access to trading/marketplace at rank 15, unlocking the second equipment slot at rank 60(?) and maybe - but not necessary at all - unlocking more variety of mods at rank 195.

Everything else you literally get in the first few play sessions when starting a new character (basic clothing, grenades, car spawner, meta weapons)

Edited by Speedz