LoveForMatt

GPU overheating in log screen.

I went to do a phone call to a friend and when i come back it was 78°... it usually is 61-65 max when playing.

Anyone else had this?

Clean your case fans and filters.

The login-screen does generate quite some gpu load, but 80 Celsius does sound a bit hot though?! Maybe boost the fan rpm a little (usually available in the driver). (Or dust-out? I dunno.)

IIRC on an older machine the load dropped when minimizing the game window / when tabbing out to Windows (If running full-screen). Maybe that's still valid and another idea if you get a call or need to be afk for a bit or something and want to keep it cool(er).

Even 60 C is pretty unacceptable unless it's laptop.

Also all CPUs won't heat up that much if properly cooled. Check your fans (if they work - even PSU fan) and check if it isn't clogged with dust.

• Dislike 1

My friend here just said; "if that's AMD it's still cool" :classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Jazeker said:

😂

AMD running hot meme still alive.

2 hours ago, Mitne said:

Even 60 C is pretty unacceptable unless it's laptop.

Also all CPUs won't heat up that much if properly cooled. Check your fans (if they work - even PSU fan) and check if it isn't clogged with dust.

Depends on the cooling solution and graphics card in question. Some chips are designed to run well into the 70's without issue for extended periods of time. Some older cards can tolerate even higher. It's considered "normal" ranges. That said he probably needs to take a look at his setup. Make sure there's adequate intake, no dust buildup, etc. 

Only time I'd really consider 60c unacceptable is with a liquid cooled card. If my vega 64 was running at that I'd be freaking out.

Posted (edited)

Wish LO would just put the original login screen back already!!!

Edited by YumiSakura
  • Like 1

You should know about plumbum-free solder. Its melting temperature ~210 Celsius degrees. It's BGA (your GPU). He will degrade only if you will use your GPU at ~90C for YEARS (one/two/three years). All temperatures below 80C are 200% safe for GPU. BUT! There's one thing: when your GPU is working at 90C at the same time its VRM (Voltage regulator module)/MOSFET can be 100-120C and it's bad for VRM. So watch VRM sensor first if your videocard have it or check overall temperature if VRM have thermal pad between PCB and cooler pipes.

02_evga_geforce_gtx_1070_ftw.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PACwoMAN said:

You should know about plumbum-free solder. Its melting temperature ~210 Celsius degrees. It's BGA (your GPU). He will degrade only if you will use your GPU at ~90C for YEARS (one/two/three years). All temperatures below 80C are 200% safe for GPU. BUT! There's one thing: when your GPU is working at 90C at the same time its VRM (Voltage regulator module)/MOSFET can be 100-120C and it's bad for VRM. So watch VRM sensor first if your videocard have it or check overall temperature if VRM have thermal pad between PCB and cooler pipes.

Most motherboard auto shut off when temperature reach 90 C (of course you can set limit higher but why would you? It's in good point).

Also most CPU at that temperature suffer from so-called "thermal bottleneck" - in attempt to cool down, processor will slow down it processes. In most of CPUs thermal bottleneck is really visible only after 80 C.

If you somehow reach 90 C, something is wrong with your setup and airflow needs to be checked ASAP. It might be simple matter of badly attached cooler to CPU for example.

P.S. Something really bad with that motherboard. Memory shouldn't heat up that much, no matter airflow (especially taking how much GPU is heated).

Edited by Mitne

try pouring some water on it

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jazeker said:

There's a bit of truth to this.

I know that for CPUs, there's a 27 C difference in how various programs report it, so it's not 60, it's 33.

As for GPUs, it might be the same thing, but I'm not sure.

That is my main issue with the main menu, why would you make a game menu a bigger load on your PC than most of the game, garsh. second issue is that it's kinda lame and I get tired of looking at it

51 minutes ago, Mitne said:

Most motherboard auto shut off when temperature reach 90 C (of course you can set limit higher but why would you? It's in good point).

Also most CPU at that temperature suffer from so-called "thermal bottleneck" - in attempt to cool down, processor will slow down it processes. In most of CPUs thermal bottleneck is really visible only after 80 C.

If you somehow reach 90 C, something is wrong with your setup and airflow needs to be checked ASAP. It might be simple matter of badly attached cooler to CPU for example.

P.S. Something really bad with that motherboard. Memory shouldn't heat up that much, no matter airflow (especially taking how much GPU is heated).

Who even talking about CPU? TS said GPU. CPU thermal package is 72C for AMD (80C shout down)and 90 for Intel (at 100C it will shout down).

Btw all those sensors are calculating TOTAL heat what means usage^heat~total degrees. You can easily test this: just run any system stress test and turn it off when the CPU will reach max temp - he will drop about 10C in just two seconds. Same with the GPU.

It’s called prospective overheat that outgoing from the current load. And it’s same as and with GPU - mosfet will overheat faster than CPU itself.

6 hours ago, Mitne said:

You should be worried about you CPU when it goes over 70°C on a desktop and around 80°C on a laptop , thing is you're out of the subject atm as he's talking about GPU temps .

Lots of graphics cards hover around 80°C when maxed out/are under load , and contrary to what you think , this is a normal temperature for a GPU , and actually most of the time the fan curves are tweaked around 75-80 °C.

Also i don't know if it's still true today but the login screen was known to have a massive memory leak.

is FPS capped in the login screen? it might be part of the reason why, if it isnt

14 hours ago, LoveForMatt said:

I went to do a phone call to a friend and when i come back it was 78°... it usually is 61-65 max when playing.

Anyone else had this?

72 celsius is the max ish for me with the card that i have in my hot room on full load. maybe ur fans need cleaning or maybe 82 celsius is your max before performance drop Or maybe you got OC settings and its acting atm?

11 hours ago, PACwoMAN said:

I have no idea how to test that or either tools...

My gpu is zotac gtx 650 ti boost.

And i need to repeat because no one is reading... my graphic card reached 78°c in the loging screen (i didnt log on) and it doesn't reach that temperature in ANY game (i usually put vsync on).

I use those air purifiers replacements for kitchen (i dont know how they are called in english) covering my fans so the dust is minimal. I havent replaced them or cleaned my pc for 5+ years and still fairly clean for that amount of time. Air is reduced ofc, but the case is pretty big and air flow is excellent. Since then my pc didnt ever overheat. Even my cpu is around 55°c max (phenom 2 x4 965 BE oc 3.6).

I took well care when i disambled it all and moved it to a bigger case, replacing all thermal paste in both my gpu and cpu, bought some proper fans. So please dont keep repeating i need to clean or replace fans.

Yes, its somehow dusty but it doesnt overheat so i do not care to clean it. I dont even have the tools anymore to do such job either.

This is how my temperatures usually look like

yPDeBa0.jpg

1 hour ago, LoveForMatt said:

I have no idea how to test that or either tools...

My gpu is zotac gtx 650 ti boost.

And i need to repeat because no one is reading... my graphic card reached 78°c in the loging screen (i didnt log on) and it doesn't reach that temperature in ANY game (i usually put vsync on).

I use those air purifiers replacements for kitchen (i dont know how they are called in english) covering my fans so the dust is minimal. I havent replaced them or cleaned my pc for 5+ years and still fairly clean for that amount of time. Air is reduced ofc, but the case is pretty big and air flow is excellent. Since then my pc didnt ever overheat. Even my cpu is around 55°c max (phenom 2 x4 965 BE oc 3.6).

I took well care when i disambled it all and moved it to a bigger case, replacing all thermal paste in both my gpu and cpu, bought some proper fans. So please dont keep repeating i need to clean or replace fans.

Yes, its somehow dusty but it doesnt overheat so i do not care to clean it. I dont even have the tools anymore to do such job either.

This is how my temperatures usually look like

yPDeBa0.jpg

Well your system on that screenshot ain’t loaded. Only I can say you must clean your PC, replace thermal grease and check PSU. Those 12.03v and 4.96v are low for stable PSU since he is unloaded.

39 minutes ago, PACwoMAN said:

Well your system on that screenshot ain’t loaded. Only I can say you must clean your PC, replace thermal grease and check PSU. Those 12.03v and 4.96v are low for stable PSU since he is unloaded.

No game overload my pc...

I been told that voltages can go +/-10% if i remember well.

It's only 78C. It's still safe. If it gets into the upper 80s then I would worry. If it really bothers you, you could use MSI afterburner or some other GPU monitoring software to manually increase the fan speed.

1 hour ago, PACwoMAN said:

Software voltage readings are unreliable. You need to probe it with a multimeter. Besides, those voltages are within ATX specs and are fine if they don't fluctuate.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MrsHappyPenguin said:

It's only 78C. It's still safe. If it gets into the upper 80s then I would worry. If it really bothers you, you could use MSI afterburner or some other GPU monitoring software to manually increase the fan speed.

Software voltage readings are unreliable. You need to probe it with a multimeter. Besides, those voltages are within ATX specs and are fine if they don't fluctuate.

Agreed. 78c is apparently apparently only 1-2c above what reviewers got. Which is pretty good considering it's probably a slightly restricted case vs an open testbench. Which is still really far off from the maximum limit of 105c on that GPU.

And yeeeep. Rarely see anyone saying it - thank you for doing so! 

3 hours ago, MrsHappyPenguin said:

I do use afterburner.

And the point in my thread is not about my gpu overheating, is about my gpu ovearheatin in the logging screen.

Thanks for the info anyways (about voltages).

So either way people have problems with overheating in the log screen, or that the game consumes a lot of time loading it, that is annoying... i think it should be changed to the previous one.

Or at least giving us an option to remove every shit that is not the game itself...