MattScott

State of the Game: Fallen Earth 12/31/2018

Hi all,

My State of the Game for the end of 2018 is up.

We got off to a slow start, but looking back I’m pleasantly surprised by how much we were able to do.

Here is a recap of 2018 and a little of what is planned for 2019:

https://www.gamersfirst.com/fallenearth/news/2018/12/31/state-of-the-game-2018

Update 1/1: In order to give a bit more information about the size of the project, here are some basic stats that we can use to create a "progress meter" along the way.

The code for the Frontend client:

There are about 175 code files and 210 headers with nearly 165,000 lines of code in total.

The code for some common libraries and tools:

There are about 250 code files and 1450 headers with nearly 650,000 lines of code in total.

The code for the Backend services:

There are about 720 code files and 1170 headers with nearly 1,000,000 lines of code in total.

The data for the game:

There are 77 3D levels

There are 6,200 3D models
There are 5,100 3D animations

There are 22,500 Textures

Thanks,
Matt

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Awesome work Matt - best wishes to you and your team for a successful 2019 in the Apocalypse !

• Like 1

FE gave us a lot of good times back in the days.

I'll be following that and hope for future success 🙂

And oh...

INVICTA!!!

• Like 2

great news keep up the good work, would love to play again properly

Thank you for posting of state of the game and for wonderful work and I wish to you many successes in the next work on the game and in the upcoming years.

PS: Happy New Year 2019 ✨

Edited by Lukasocz

keep it up I've seen new faces in APB the past 2 Weeks, expecting more if u keep working, please don't forget the engine upgrade, this update will revive the game by encouraging old players to come back and draws the intention of other gamers too, looking forward to see it happening, and good job Dev you're doing great so far ^^ thanks for the LO team too I've seen GMs and TGMs online too, that's relly cool keep up the good work guys ^^

• Like 1

The work done by litle orbit is fabulous given how bad the game was in terms of libraries, codes and tools.

Well, I do not want to be the only person who writes the criticism and not applause to any news, I say this because for years the game gradually goes to its demise.

The clients / players look for an attractive game and with essence to play, fallen earth had it in 2011 and 2012, just before the patch of gores was released. (although there are many videos that show how blood sports was relevant at all levels and not only at level 55, that denotes great activity and good way).

In my opinion from that patch the game has gone like crabs, walking backwards.

While I will not expose the failures that have been in the past in my opinion, but all of them have been for an extreme lack of communication between the community and its developers, which is now the opposite since as I said Infinite times, litle orbit is a professional company. Matt, could you advance us an idea that we will see in a future in the game, what you have thought to change, how to develop it.

I have some questions that I would like to know:

- The game will have changes in the number of factions? Fewer features maybe? (I think I've seen some post about it)

- the game to be updated can remove the lag completely? Will the game finally dispose of anticheat with the new beginning?

- The game to be launched will have two or three maps to start or will it be relaunched with all the current maps?

- Will the game remodel weapons and equipment by putting all weapons of the same level with the same or similar characteristics? (currently at level 55 the option is totally linear and there is no diversity)

- Will the game change the rewards of the missions? currently doing level 20 missions give equipment or things level 5 or 10? (this is a thing that has been talked about for years)

- will the pvp-oriented special aura of the district return to animate the pvp?

I have many more questions, but I will not write a book / post, although I know that the duplicate bug is on the radar and will be solved. However I have ideas that could work, such as having a leader in each faction that promoted the pvp, the pve and the social aspect, being able to prevent a player from having players in several factions, creating frustaccion. it's a suggestion. Many thanks in advance and happy new year, I continue to see the advances in twitter!

Edited by Aroa Croft
  • Thanks 1

Matt, it sounds like you have less of an idea of what you want this project to be than when you did the Q and A. Have you still not decided whether to do a rebooted server or just make a sequel? 

• Like 1

This is a wild assumption, but I feel like throwing it out there anyway.

If the uncertainty is over a small portion of disgruntled veterans afraid to lose their progress, I'd like to ask Matt to not cave in to demands of a vocal minority of old players and and try his best to do what's best for the game.

Following needs of veterans and established community may be a right thing to do, but only when you have a stable community, a community that keeps the game alive. That's quite obviously not the case here.

Old playerbase isn't what's going to keep this game afloat, we're too few for that. A fresh, big, new community is needed in order to revitalize Fallen Earth. And to attract said community things have to change - in engine, in gameplay, in stability, most probably in game-design philosophies as well.

Do what you must to make the game as high quality and up-to-date with moder standarts as possible in order to attract people to a better and more relevant product. When it comes to keeping the game alive in the future - I believe that in the case with FE a minority of old players stiffling progress for their needs is secondary, if not outright irrelevant.

On 1/2/2019 at 6:26 PM, Grimheart said:

This is a wild assumption, but I feel like throwing it out there anyway.

If the uncertainty is over a small portion of disgruntled veterans afraid to lose their progress, I'd like to ask Matt to not cave in to demands of a vocal minority of old players and and try his best to do what's best for the game.

Following needs of veterans and established community may be a right thing to do, but only when you have a stable community, a community that keeps the game alive. That's quite obviously not the case here.

Old playerbase isn't what's going to keep this game afloat, we're too few for that. A fresh, big, new community is needed in order to revitalize Fallen Earth. And to attract said community things have to change - in engine, in gameplay, in stability, most probably in game-design philosophies as well.

Do what you must to make the game as high quality and up-to-date with moder standarts as possible in order to attract people to a better and more relevant product. When it comes to keeping the game alive in the future - I believe that in the case with FE a minority of old players stiffling progress for their needs is secondary, if not outright irrelevant.

Firstly LO will do what they feel is best for FE. Us players, though important to keeping a game alive are not the issue. The issue is they (LO) have to make FE profitable enough to warrant all the changes they will be making. If this means a new server with nothing carried over then so be it. But to accuse players of holding back development when all they have done is voice their concerns or stated they are not happy with having to start over is very short sighted indeed.

People are allowed to state they don't want to start over from scratch. That is their choice and their choice alone. I haven't seen any of the players that have stated this trying to hold LO to ransom over it. They said what was in their hearts and we should acknowledge it, understand it and realize that if a new server means a complete restart (which is still not for certain yet) some older players have chosen not to continue to play FE. And that is fine, it is a game and people do have the right to choose whether to play or not. Never criticize them for that.

EVERY PLAYER is relevant, new, old, veteran, noob. We don't all have to agree but we should be able to respect each others opinions. Unfortunately some people left in FE are not able to do this. Maybe it is about time they tried.

Thanks Matt for the update on the work you and your staff are currently doing on FE. Many of us understand Rome wasn't built in a day 😉

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

I appreciate the debate over whether we will need to start progression over for players, but it’s not really productive right now. Even my comments on the Q&A stream were speculative. No decision has been made, and wont be till we see the full new solution.

Just so I have said it, I consider our veteran players the ambassadors of this game. It’s my goal to build something they will be excited about and help us grow again. Of course, the content itself needs to be able to attract new players as well.

Wiping progression is not something I take lightly. It’s also not an ‘all or nothing’ lever. There are many waypoints along that spectrum that range from having progression stay mostly intact to the possibility of only minor elements being carried over.

Rest asured, I’ll keep everyone posted on how we need to proceed.

Thanks,

Matt

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/3/2019 at 9:38 AM, MattScott said:

Hi everyone,

I appreciate the debate over whether we will need to start progression over for players, but it’s not really productive right now. Even my comments on the Q&A stream were speculative. No decision has been made, and wont be till we see the full new solution.

Just so I have said it, I consider our veteran players the ambassadors of this game. It’s my goal to build something they will be excited about and help us grow again. Of course, the content itself needs to be able to attract new players as well.

Wiping progression is not something I take lightly. It’s also not an ‘all or nothing’ lever. There are many waypoints along that spectrum that range from having progression stay mostly intact to the possibility of only minor elements being carried over.

Rest asured, I’ll keep everyone posted on how we need to proceed.

Thanks,

Matt

Honestly just remaking Fallen Earth wont get alot of new players. The game needs a sequel to truly gain new players and create a new and thriving fan base.

On 1/1/2019 at 1:57 AM, MattScott said:

The code for the Frontend client:

There are about 175 code files and 210 headers with nearly 165,000 lines of code in total.

The code for some common libraries and tools:

There are about 250 code files and 1450 headers with nearly 650,000 lines of code in total.

The code for the Backend services:

There are about 720 code files and 1170 headers with nearly 1,000,000 lines of code in total.

The data for the game:

There are 77 3D levels

There are 6,200 3D models
There are 5,100 3D animations

There are 22,500 Textures

Thanks,
Matt

Thanks for the infos but it is just a state about the volum or this files have already been "converted" ?

In the seconb case: respect

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 11:08 AM, Kishoot said:

Thanks for the infos but it is just a state about the volum or this files have already been "converted" ?

In the seconb case: respect

Just giving you an idea of the scope first.

I'll be updating our progress as we go attempting to figure out some overall percentage.

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 2:00 PM, StubbyClaps said:

Matt, it sounds like you have less of an idea of what you want this project to be than when you did the Q and A. Have you still not decided whether to do a rebooted server or just make a sequel? 

This is an accurate statement. For me, when I have so little overall understanding of the game, you have to be willing to learn as you go and let the project take you where it needs to.

I think the goal is to start with a completely rewritten version of the current game including tools.

That gives us a really solid base to work with, and we can get a sense of all the places we want to dig into.

From there we can decide whether the level of change fits into the current game or should be done as a sequel.

• Like 3

Havent played Fallen earth in like 5+ years.  Was easily the fav MMO of both my wife and I and I was probably sadder to leave it than any other MMO, but there was just too many issues.  I didnt know about the new company buying it until just today when out of curiosity I checked the Steam page for it to see how it was doing.

I think there is a lot of people out there like me who aren't active here on these forums but really loved the game and would comeback if some serious effort were to reboot and/or fix the game.  It was one-of-a-kind MMO and I look forward to see what the future holds for it.  As to what everyone is arguing about above on wiping or not, I could care less.  FE was the only real complete post-apocalyptic MMO that ever really had any success and it had such a cool atmosphere, setting, and environment.  I would love to play it again from the beginning on a new engine with a revamped game structure, balance tweaks and fixes etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Dread Lord Naf said:

Havent played Fallen earth in like 5+ years.  Was easily the fav MMO of both my wife and I and I was probably sadder to leave it than any other MMO, but there was just too many issues.  I didnt know about the new company buying it until just today when out of curiosity I checked the Steam page for it to see how it was doing.

I think there is a lot of people out there like me who aren't active here on these forums but really loved the game and would comeback if some serious effort were to reboot and/or fix the game.  It was one-of-a-kind MMO and I look forward to see what the future holds for it.  As to what everyone is arguing about above on wiping or not, I could care less.  FE was the only real complete post-apocalyptic MMO that ever really had any success and it had such a cool atmosphere, setting, and environment.  I would love to play it again from the beginning on a new engine with a revamped game structure, balance tweaks and fixes etc.

The ideal would have been for the game to have a Re - start from zero to a certain low level (let 's say we can level the level up to 30), with a couple of maps.

While all these accounts could move them to the new server and so we would have as an "incentive" that would move the current population that does not touch the game, attracting people and giving publicity. While the current state of the game is painful, there are infinite duplicate objects and many bugs, it does not help that people come and try the game, given that 95% do not stay and will not try again.

While I would be careful in premium objects like "name change" or "all slots" that tend to be duplicated, giving the only possibility of getting them through direct purchase and given by a gm in game (since there are so many gms), if well with the money theme, I would make a cut to a yellow as a stop (since if there are only 30 levels, it did not make sense to have more).

In short, do something different.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Aroa Croft said:

The ideal would have been for the game to have a Re - start from zero to a certain low level (let 's say we can level the level up to 30), with a couple of maps.

While all these accounts could move them to the new server and so we would have as an "incentive" that would move the current population that does not touch the game, attracting people and giving publicity. While the current state of the game is painful, there are infinite duplicate objects and many bugs, it does not help that people come and try the game, given that 95% do not stay and will not try again.

While I would be careful in premium objects like "name change" or "all slots" that tend to be duplicated, giving the only possibility of getting them through direct purchase and given by a gm in game (since there are so many gms), if well with the money theme, I would make a cut to a yellow as a stop (since if there are only 30 levels, it did not make sense to have more).

In short, do something different.

Given that you suggest this idea (or very similar ones) almost every third post you make I feel like I should give my 2c on this.

I strongly disagree with this, cutting out over 60% of the game content, wiping all progress and calling it a "remaster" is a sure way to kill FE for good and is definitely NOT something LO should do, ever.

Edited by Vít Eliášek
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Vít Eliášek said:

Given that you suggest this idea (or very similar ones) almost every third post you make I feel like I should give my 2c on this.

I strongly disagree with this, cutting out over 60% of the game content, wiping all progress and calling it a "remaster" is a sure way to kill FE for good and is definitely NOT something LO should do, ever.

If you have played in the past, you know very well that something does not work, doing nothing will not help it to improve.

I already did the social experiment, promoting people looking for "an apocalyptic morpg" and according to them they have seen the orthopedic movements, the lag, the total lack of roots that the game can generate and their difficulty to understand it have gone away, uninstalling it, saying clearly what a garbage, The current state does not help, and will not improve greatly with a "remodeling of graphics", the game needs more than all that.

When I go to buy apples at a store I try them and if I do not like them I do not go back to the store to try.

Let's collide with reality and change something, the steamcharts are for something more than to hide them.

edit: in this social experiment, I did not tell people that the game has pvp and that the game did not have anticheat ... (another factor against)

Edited by Aroa Croft
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2019 at 9:44 PM, Aroa Croft said:

If you have played in the past, you know very well that something does not work, doing nothing will not help it to improve.

I already did the social experiment, promoting people looking for "an apocalyptic morpg" and according to them they have seen the orthopedic movements, the lag, the total lack of roots that the game can generate and their difficulty to understand it have gone away, uninstalling it, saying clearly what a garbage, The current state does not help, and will not improve greatly with a "remodeling of graphics", the game needs more than all that.

When I go to buy apples at a store I try them and if I do not like them I do not go back to the store to try.

Let's collide with reality and change something, the steamcharts are for something more than to hide them.

edit: in this social experiment, I did not tell people that the game has pvp and that the game did not have anticheat ... (another factor against)

A lot of people won't play FE because it does not give instant gratification. This is what newer games give, fast pace action that you just jump into and because of that they are hugely popular. FE will never be this. So your 'social experiment' was a waste of your time.

Those that love FE don't play for fast action or instant gratification and that is why player numbers are small. FE requires a lot of time from a player and in a world where time is short for many, FE will not be their ideal leisure time. Lack of anticheat is NOT why people think FE is garbage. It just isn't their style of game. That is a reality few seem to grasp.

Edited by Dracio

14 hours ago, Dracio said:

A lot of people won't play FE because it does not give instant gratification. This is what newer games give, fast pace action that you just jump into and because of that they are hugely popular. FE will never be this. So your 'social experiment' was a waste of your time.

Those that love FE don't play for fast action or instant gratification and that is why player numbers are small. FE requires a lot of time from a player and in a world where time is short for many, FE will not be their ideal leisure time. Lack of anticheat is NOT why people think FE is garbage. It just isn't their style of game. That is a reality few seem to grasp.

I totally agree with this statement. The game takes along time to get to the end times and one becomes totally involved in it. If it was fast gratification I for one would not have stuck with the game since launch in September of 2009. I am hoping for the best for this game and will be here to see what happens. Then I will make the decision to go or to stay.

18 hours ago, Dracio said:

you did not play in 2011, so I do not think you know what "fallen earth" means, its factions and the reasons that it gave to be an addictive game.

If the game was as you say, people would not have escaped the game, making it a game less than 50 people online. The "anticheat" is something that caused people who habitually pve, not to make the jump pvp. I do not know if you understand that doing pvp in a pvp game without anticheat is simply making the idiot and more when a player "uploaded a cheat to youtube showing it in the game" (it was very funny those times that some said that cheats did not exist). that there were gms 24 hours watching like mice ...)

The reality is in the numbers, of which you do not give many explanations.

If you want to laugh about my experiment, laugh. But already in advance I tell you that all those people that I invited came from the fallout 76 (not random games), I mean they were looking for this and have left since this does not offer to be a post apocalyptic mpg Morpg that attracts people. I stay that at least mattscot has played and seen a minimum part of the game, the first and second map (the best) and although I hope it makes that art that we all hope ... with anticheat I hope, if you want let the pvp continue.

Keep up the work. I still pop in from time to time to see how things are going and wish your crew best of luck.