AgentRick

Duplicate Vehicle Designs / Upgrade Vehicle Mod Slots

Hello all,

This is something I think I suggested years ago and it never saw much attention or came to fruition. Perhaps I didn't explain it well enough, there wasn't enough interest from the community or it didn't seem like a rewarding enough feature to implement by the previous development team. Nevertheless, I have come to the crossroad again where such a feature would help me tremendously in-game and I know such a feature would help many others, so here-goes.

How many of you have spent a lot of time and effort designing a car in APB? Now, how many of you had to spend a similar amount of time making the same or similar design on the same exact make and model car because you purchased one with a different number of modification slots? Allow me to expound on the suggested feature:

What if LO made it so that when someone hit the "Duplicate" button on a vehicle, it opened a menu that allowed you to select the number of mod slots, restricted to those you have unlocked, with the corresponding price, and duplicated the selected vehicle's design onto that model?

Example 1:

A player spent a lot of time designing their 2-Slot Pioneer. They decide it is time to upgrade to a 4-Slot Pioneer and have saved up the money to do so. Instead of buying the 4-Slot Pioneer and having to completely re-design the car from scratch, with my suggested feature, they can click "Duplicate" and select "Nulander Pioneer (4-Slot)". Boom, the design from their 2-Slot Pioneer is duplicated onto a 4-Slot Pioneer, they are charged the $1,000,000 associated with the 4-slot, and they don't have to spend any time trying to replicate the same design on the same make/model car just because they changed the number of mod slots.

Example 2:

A player purchases a 4-Slot Jericho from Armas and spends a significant amount of time customizing it. Their friend takes a liking to the Jericho and asks if they could have one. Using the suggested feature, the owner of the Jericho clicks "Duplicate" and selects "Patriot V20 Jericho (4-Slot)". Boom, the design from their untradable 4-Slot Jericho is duplicated onto a tradable 4-Slot Jericho, they are charged the $1,000,000 associated with the 4-slot, and they don't have to spend the time trying to replicate the same design since they can't duplicate and trade their Armas vehicle.

Obviously there would be some constraints to implementing such a feature. This likely couldn't be feasibly implemented across different makes/models of vehicles, so it would have to stay Jericho-to-Jericho, Rapier-to-Rapier or Pioneer-to-Pioneer. It couldn't be feasibly performed while in a trade either, so the menu would only be accessible through a locker, mailbox or kiosk.

An alternative to this suggestion could be to allow the creator of a vehicle to upgrade/downgrade their vehicle's number of modification slots based on which vehicles they have unlocked and available to them. Downgrading an existing vehicle's modification slots could issue a refund of the difference in vehicle cost, while upgrading a vehicle's modification slots would cost the difference in price between the two models.

The example to my alternative would involve duplicating the existing vehicle, then adjusting the modification slots via upgrade/downgrade as needed.

If you think this suggestion is something that could help new players and veterans alike (like I think it can), please give it a like and/or a reply so we can potentially have another useful feature implemented into the game.

Thanks for reading, be safe everyone.

• Like 9

I completely agree with what you said. I mean like most of my designs are on no slot vehicles and sometimes I wish I could add a slot to put vehicle spawner.

• Like 2

Great idea best idea. Players should not be penalised for upgrading their vehicles. 

As a thrifty player I do like to pull out a 2 or even 0-slot car to save on that absolutely outrageous $100 car spawn fee - so being able to duplicate my designs across slotted vehicles would be great.

Additional - I think this should work with other model vehicles - but that is up to the devs but as an anecdote I do like to see what a design on one vehicle type would look like on another. Plus it would be great to standardising different unit make ups in clan vehicles. It would need tweaking in the editor no doubt as not all panels on a vehicle are spaced evenly but surely in the lines of code where vehicle design is generated it has a list of "Jericho V2 - Symbol#1245 located at x:890,y:923,z:831" which could be duplicated on to "Pioneer V2 -  Symbol#1245 located at x:890,y:923,z:831"  shouldn't be that hard to translate onto other vehicle models? Right?

I do wonder how it would work with Premium though?

Additionally additional scenario - you use a certain 1 Day Premium code to make a sweet looking 2-slot Growl with maximum layers. Then a sale comes along and that Revelations Pack looks real good so you snag that 4-slot thing and want to dupe your 2-slot but oh no more Premium. 

1 hour ago, OfficerKovacs said:

I do wonder how it would work with Premium though?

Additionally additional scenario - you use a certain 1 Day Premium code to make a sweet looking 2-slot Growl with maximum layers. Then a sale comes along and that Revelations Pack looks real good so you snag that 4-slot thing and want to dupe your 2-slot but oh no more Premium. 

In my opinion, in this case, the player should have to either buy a premium or maybe pay an in-game cash fee.

Making them buy premium again to do it would be good from a marketing standpoint as it would most likely be another feature making G1 money.

Making them pay in-game cash is just a penalty for doing something they shouldn't technically be able to.

• Like 1

Ideally, it would be an upgrade to the already-existing "Duplicate Vehicle" function within the game, so premium or lack thereof wouldn't impact the design.

• Like 1

As nice as it would be, to duplicate vehicles and clothing with custom made designs may not be possible at this time due to technical constraints.

Same with adding slots, I suspect vehicles with slots are handled as a completely different vehicle by the game. Despite being the same model, features and characteristics/stats, the slots I would guess is coded into the vehicle itself, like a preset mod is part of the gun and cannot be removed.

Hopefully both would be added in game for massive convenience of players, as in concept it's simple but in practice with coding it's not so simple as the mind makes it out to be.