A little research on APB's Playerbase

A little research on APB's Playerbase  

115 members have voted

1. 1. What threat are you?

• Gold
    • Silver
    • Bronze
    • Green
  2. 2. Do you de-threat? In other words, do you purposely try to achieve lower threats for your advantage? (e.g to swith from Silver servers to Bronze servers)

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Why do you de-threat? (skip if you don't de-threat)

• Because of cheaters
    • Because of those who "tryhard" in the server
    • Because i don't consider myself a good player, thus, i don't deserve gold.
    • Skip question (I do not de-threat)

I am doing this because i want to see the number of people who de-threat.

Your choice will be public but your name will not be shared after you complete the poll.

My intention is not to trigger a negative discussion, but rather to warn people that this is going to have a impact now that the TOS, etc are being updated, which makes de-threaters in danger

Also, this is for a research i am doing, i know that the matchmaking and other stuff will be updated soon, which means threats might no longer exist, or probably they might, still, things will be changed.

I apoligise if this poll or dicussion has already been posted / discussed.

Edited by Keijinnn

Dose not give an option to skip the 3rd question

2 minutes ago, Jukin said:

Dose not give an option to skip the 3rd question

Oh, i did not know that, i will edit if possible.

47 minutes ago, Keijinnn said:

which makes de-threaters in danger

Full disclosure: I think dethreaters are the worst of the worst. I think they have done more damage to APB than cheaters and G1 combined.

That being said, on to the topic at hand...

There are two important parts of the Q&A regarding this, the first is the Q&A specific to dethreating:

Q: What will you be doing to tackle dethreating, and if so how? And will there be changes to the threat system?
A: This is definitely one of those systems that fall under the “Critical Mechanics” segment earlier. The threat system has to be altered at a minimum, or if necessary, scrapped and started over. There’s just a fundamental flaw at tracking your progress over such a short timeframe. To be able to bring your threat down quickly should not happen, and should take much much longer. We see this as an exploit in some ways, if it is an exploit it should be dealt with. If there’s an exploit then it should be on us to fix it. Shame on us for leaving the exploit in for so long, that it has a name and people can look it up.    

The second is a statement made about bans themselves : " I view banning as a failure; it’s not something to be proud of or to enjoy."

So I dont think players will be getting banned for this in the future, but rather LO will be going out of its way to re-work the threat system so that threat change cannot happen quickly. I assume they will try to find a sweet spot where it will take longer to lose threat than it would be worth, while still being a useful indicator of overall skill.

In other words, players are finally going to have to either play where they belong, or spend a great deal more time losing threat than in the past. Perhaps, if after all these changes people still insist on gaming the threat system there will be punishments. But if LO reworks threat properly, I doubt there will be many left to punish.

Edited by CookiePuss
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, CookiePuss said:

Full disclosure: I think dethreaters are the worst of the worst. I think they have done more damage to APB than cheaters and G1 combined.

That being said, on to the topic at hand...

There are two important parts of the Q&A regarding this, the first is the Q&A specific to dethreating:

Q: What will you be doing to tackle dethreating, and if so how? And will there be changes to the threat system?
A: This is definitely one of those systems that fall under the “Critical Mechanics” segment earlier. The threat system has to be altered at a minimum, or if necessary, scrapped and started over. There’s just a fundamental flaw at tracking your progress over such a short timeframe. To be able to bring your threat down quickly should not happen, and should take much much longer. We see this as an exploit in some ways, if it is an exploit it should be dealt with. If there’s an exploit then it should be on us to fix it. Shame on us for leaving the exploit in for so long, that it has a name and people can look it up.    

The second is a statement made about bans themselves : " I view banning as a failure; it’s not something to be proud of or to enjoy."

So I dont think players will be getting banned for this in the future, but rather LO will be going out of its way to re-work the threat system so that threat change cannot happen quickly. Try to find a sweet spot where it will take longer to lose threat than it would be worth.

In other words, players are finally going to have to either play where they belong, or spend a great deal more time losing threat than in the past. Perhaps, if after all these changes people still insist on gaming the threat system there will be punishments. But if LO reworks threat properly, I doubt there will be many left to punish.

Thank you for answering.

48 minutes ago, Keijinnn said:

which makes de-threaters in danger

What i meant by this was that they'll have to A: Get better at the game or B: leave the game, i also meant that they might get banned, but from what you've said, i cross the banned part.

Gold and I've never intentionally dethreated (If I recall I borderline silver). I don't like crushing new players and will throw any match that looks like I have a massive advantage over my opponents to the point they can't effectively retaliate. I've not played any matches in recent history due to the state of the game, the only time I've revisited APB in the last two or three years was to either play in Fight Club or drive some cars around. I still think matchmaking should be abolished entirely though, this system is broken as it currently stands.

16 minutes ago, Keijinnn said:

Thank you for answering.

What i meant by this was that they'll have to A: Get better at the game or B: leave the game, i also meant that they might get banned, but from what you've said, i cross the banned part.

Yeah, Im hopeful most will stick around.

Plus ending dethreating will have two additional benefits. More players in silver means more districts available to play, so more opportunities to play whichever district you have contacts to work. More players also helps to even out the overall skill of the districts themselves. Of course, there will always be 4 man Gold 10 premades, but  more players can also mean better matchmaking for everyone in silver.

Edited by CookiePuss

Something that kinda bothers me about the whole "Reee dethreat" debate is that everyone seems to exclusively focus on golds in bronze district, but what about bronze/trainees in silver? I hate playing in bronze districts due to the advantage I'll have over people who are legitimately bronze, and I prefer to play in Silver to actually face a challenge and not feel bad about using more than the stock STAR/FBW.

Not to mention silver might not constantly be full if bronze players were pulled into the actual bronze district.

1 minute ago, Freewind said:

Something that kinda bothers me about the whole "Reee dethreat" debate is that everyone seems to exclusively focus on golds in bronze district, but what about bronze/trainees in silver? 

Well that's easy Sherlock, golds mostly know what they are doing or at least golds that played over 2 weeks while bronzes and trainees don't or they are playing with their gold friends.

Unfortunately only a very small percentage of the player base visits the forums. Your results are mainly going to be from players who have played the game for a long time, are most likely gold threat, and most likely do not dethreat or not willing to admit it.

My biggest guess is why people "dethreat" is because they feel other gold players are too skilled for them and/or are cheating. People just don't like losing. 

When I started playing ages ago, I went from Trainee to Gold and it felt so good to destroy W.A.S.P. back in the day as Jackeroo and Jilleroo. I have since been gold and never dropped below it.

I hate dethreaters, such babies. Just ruining the game for new players.