Sign in to follow this  
Ketog

Trying to find a job to finally start living by myself.

Hello guys , im Egghea~ ketog .

Im a french guy currently living in reunion island , a french place close to madagascar , i passed my exams for my two year technical degree in computing and networking about 4-5 months ago and been trying to find a job since .

finding a job in reunion island is almost impossible , here we have 80% people without jobs due to how overpopulated the island is (and this is not a joke , it's the actual statistics) , so everyone goes to mainland france to work ,

thing is lately even france has started to be very restrictive for jobs and even there i can't seem to find any jobs , im curretly living at my parent's house and what they do is enough to feed everyone easly but i don't like being dependant of others .

im thinking about going to canada as i went there in a 2 month vacation once and it was by far the best trip i had in my life , for both the people and the landscapes , i also remember one thing , almost 2 shops out of 5 had a "we're hireing" sign wich seemed unreal .

My parents are ready to pay me a flight to canada and rent a place temporarily if i find a job offer there , i've be using a website called "indeed" to find offers and a french website called "pole emploi" but only apllied to a few jobs yet  .

so my main question is , do you guys have any tips so i can be as efficent as possible to find a job ?

@CookiePuss *coughs*

48 minutes ago, Ketog said:

~snip~

Your first obstacle is getting face to face with a potential employer. Knowing you as I do, you are a very impressive person when it comes to both intelligence and capability... you just need a chance to make that impression in person. So what can you do? Apply for as many jobs as possible. When starting out, even apply for jobs that might not be "ideal" for you, as it is often a lot easier to find a job while employed vs being unemployed. So its okay to use a job as a stepping stone. I like the idea of a move to Canada vs France as well given the current and potential long term turmoil in France.

Most importantly know your worth and don't get discouraged. Employers would be lucky to have you. Always remember that.

Good luck!

• Like 1

good luck. don't be discourage when you don't receive responses back from applications. that's part of the process unfortunately. that's why it's so important to apply to as many places as you can and then you can sort through the ones that have expressed interest. im not from canada but iirc, living in the big cities might be difficult because of lack of space or high rent costs. be prepared to commute if you're able to find a job there.

• Like 1

Go back to fighting Sonic, Dr. Eggman.

I heard crime is profitable now.

@Ketog

Although @CookiePuss has stated, that a potential obstacle could be a "Face to Face",

the fact that you will be concentrating your job search efforts in the IT industry, 

does minimize this requirement more so than other industries. 

In the past, I received 2 job offers (that I accepted) with phone interviews alone.

Both large IT consulting firms, that operated almost exclusively with virtual teams,

phone calls, emails, conference calls and instant messaging , was the norm.

In fact, at one of these IT companies that I had worked for, for 10 years, 

I never met my manager in person.

If "Face to Face" is required/desired by the hiring manager, Skype or other Facetime app/application 

has become very popular.

Indeed website is a great start.

I would also highly recommend LinkedIn.

Create your LinkedIn  profile, search & apply for jobs.

Reach out to other LinkedIn members in your desired industry to start building a network, and develop professional relationships.

You can settle for a "Standard" LinkedIn  membership, or opt for a "Premium" membership.  (I believe that it is around $30 a month US... I forgot)

I don't remember exactly what added benefits for Premium, but there are quite a few.

Create a Template "Cover Letter", as most of your Cover Letters when applying for jobs will have a lot of the same verbiage.

This way you won't have to re-write your Cover Letters from scratch, each and every time.

Keep in mind that although your Cover Letters may include some of the same verbiage, 

each of these letters will differ, as they are also tailored for that specific job.

One challenge that you may be faced with, is that some companies in Canada may pass you by without a review,

because they do not want to cover your relocation cost. (not knowing that you will have that covered)

And yet if you disclose in your Cover Letter that "you" will be covering relocation costs, 

you might miss out on an opportunity where a company was actually willing to cover these costs.

I am not sure how to advise with that one. 

Anyways, best of luck in your job search.

Edited by Westford
  • Like 1

Moved from France to Canada (Toronto) about 6 months ago. I found a job pretty quickly (about 2 weeks or so after I landed here), although I already had more than 3 years of experience so that definitely helped. I work in hospitality and I'm not sure as to how easy it is to find a job in IT but there probably are a lot of offers. Speaking french is an asset even if you don't go to Quebec, so that's already a good point for you.

Indeed works pretty well, that's how I found my job, and I still receive offers daily. LinkedIn is pretty good too although I'd recommend you to start looking into it now as it can take a while to build an actual 'network'. Try to apply to as may offers as you can, it can be pretty competitive as there are tons of foreigners coming to look for a job just like you, but don't discourage, if you show that you're motivated you'll find something.

Oh and try to find a roommate when you get here (there are a lot of groups on Facebook to find one), big cities are really expensive, especially Toronto and Vancouver (Montreal is a bit cheaper I've heard). Let me know if you need help or information 🙂

Edited by gold
  • Like 1

Try illegal fighting tournaments or underground racing. 

Military service? 

Whatever you do I wish you good luck fam

Edited by _chain

Thanks for everyone's replies , and tips , ill use them for my job search ! thank you guys so much !

Edited by Ketog

Don't be afraid or feel ashamed of doing a job that you might consider to be below your level. Only very few people get their ideal job straight away.

Young people fresh out of education getting a job these days is tough because the reality is employers want experience, and the supply pool of potential candidates is well over saturated. There are too many candidates fighting for too few places.

Try and build up your work experience, start low and work your way up.

If you are struggling to find a job in your chosen field, the worse thing you can do is to be unemployed for a long period, so consider something else just to fill in the gap. As an example if you can speak/read in more than one language consider teaching english/french as a temp job.

• Like 2

Well, when I was at your age I thought I could do any job and earn enough but it is false. You should find out what you really want earn extra money or enough for living. I chose the second one and went into trading. I still believe it was the right decision. I have been trading forex for 7 years already and can provide living for the whole my family easily. 

Find a good broker (my choice is AvaTrade https://fx-list.com/broker/avatrade), learn the subject and be persistent at what you are doing. Only that you will  succeed.

Good luck! 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this