Easiest

Advanced launcher is always allowed?

The advanced launcher is allowed to be used, but that might change when we move over to the newer engine. But if that happens that will be communicated then, I'd assume.

• Like 1

Why this question pops up every week?

I guess when the engine is updated to Unreal Engine 3.5, it will stop functioning and you will know.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Saxtus said:

Why this question pops up every week?

I guess when the engine is updated to Unreal Engine 3.5, it will stop functioning and you will know.

Probably because file modifications are not allowed.

The launcher would need to be modified to work with the new engine, but most of the features should still be available.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

What is a search function?

HOLY CRAP IT ACTUALLY WORKS!

Seriously, the old forum search was so bad I stopped thinking to use it.

If you think about a 1vs1 where one person doesn't get any stun effects, smoke effects, blood effects on their screen (advanced launcher) versus one that does (LO launcher) ... you'd have to chuckle to call that a good fight. Or is that what being 'pro' is about in this community? Something like sneaky unfair advantages created by a grey area FPS tool?

If the editing of these files by the launcher is allowed, it would be nice to grant 'LO launcher' users the same options; to disable stun, smoke and blood effects in their launcher. And that's for starters because you can do more with the advanced launcher ''FPS'' tool.

Heck, the blood effects alone make you see near to nothing when using the 'Lo launcher', just this one effect has a huge impact on any fight. Now imagine a 'Pro team' versus a group of new, non extra tool using, aka 'non so called pro', players. Wouldn't look weird to these fair guys, right. Have a good day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, -KC- said:

If you think about a 1vs1 where one person doesn't get any stun effects, smoke effects, blood effects on their screen (advanced launcher) versus one that does (LO launcher) ... you'd have to chuckle to call that a good fight. Or is that what being 'pro' is about in this community? Something like sneaky unfair advantages created by a grey area FPS tool?

If the editing of these files by the launcher is allowed, it would be nice to grant 'LO launcher' users the same options; to disable stun, smoke and blood effects in their launcher. And that's for starters because you can do more with the advanced launcher ''FPS'' tool.

Heck, the blood effects alone make you see near to nothing when using the 'Lo launcher', just this one effect has a huge impact on any fight. Now imagine a 'Pro team' versus a group of new, non extra tool using, aka 'non so called pro', players. Wouldn't look weird to these fair guys, right. Have a good day.

If blood and muzzle flash didn't cause the game to freeze on slightly lower end hardware there wouldn't be a need to remove them.

14 hours ago, Rosi said:

ty, btw i hope they'll say it when the advanced will not be allowed

It's not that they will disallow it - more that it will be obsolete (unless creator will update it by then).

Edited by Mitne

Good logic:

>APB Advanced Launcher allowed and not bannable for editing .ini files

>Manual editing of the exact same .ini files is bannable

7 hours ago, -KC- said:

If you think about a 1vs1 where one person doesn't get any stun effects, smoke effects, blood effects on their screen (advanced launcher) versus one that does (LO launcher) ... you'd have to chuckle to call that a good fight.

You can not completely disable Blood or Smoke effects with the advanced launcher as you do not get rid of those by editing the "APBCompat.ini" file. In fact, you get rid of those by editing .upk files which are far harder to edit than a simple text-based config file. I do not think that anything in the Advanced launcher gives you as a player an advantage other than it actually increasing your Frame rates and getting rid of the horrible micro-stutters that have been plaguing this game for many years. 

The Advanced Launcher is free to use by anyone for a reason, and it works as a band-aid to add more quality options to the game as the ones in the game itself are anything but enough to make the game run stable on pretty much all PC ranges.

You know my stance on it, I am against anything that gives an unfair advantage.

• Like 1

I can't find that link right now . but Matt in it accurately said-that he believes ADVANCED LAUNCHER unacceptable. 

59 minutes ago, Yood said:

I can't find that link right now . but Matt in it accurately said-that he believes ADVANCED LAUNCHER unacceptable. 

No he hasn't.

1 hour ago, Yood said:

He doesn't like that we are able to edit game files, but understands the need for an application like that with the current performance issues. He also said he hopes to incorporate some of those options into the regular game's options. As well as allowing other edits, such as changing crosshair colors (mainly for colorblindness).

The main sources for that information are the responses Matt Scott has given in both the Q&A and in threads regarding this topic (can't do a full search atm)

You're taking what he said out of context Yood.

25 minutes ago, Kevkof said:

He doesn't like that we are able to edit game files, but understands the need for an application like that with the current performance issues. He also said he hopes to incorporate some of those options into the regular game's options. As well as allowing other edits, such as changing crosshair colors (mainly for colorblindness).

The main sources for that information are the responses Matt Scott has given in both the Q&A and in threads regarding this topic (can't do a full search atm)

Yes. like this . in fact, it is a third-party program that violates the rules of the end user . it's time to get this over with .

NotZombieBiscuit no doubt your knowledge is impressive.

Will GamersFirst approve the use of shader configs or the Advanced Launcher?

No. This is a super slippery slope.

Once we allow players to modify parts of the game, then how do we detect cheater-based changes from these more innocuous changes? That makes our investment into Battleye useless.

However, I do believe GamersFirst needs to solve the problems that these things address. We need to allow players to change the color of the crosshairs in-game for colorblind people. We need to add a lower graphics processor setting to help people with less powerful machines.

Thanks again to everyone who participated and volunteered questions.

Sincerely, Matthew Scott 

Edited by Yood

1 hour ago, Yood said:

Will GamersFirst approve the use of shader configs or the Advanced Launcher?

No. This is a super slippery slope.

Once we allow players to modify parts of the game, then how do we detect cheater-based changes from these more innocuous changes? That makes our investment into Battleye useless.

However, I do believe GamersFirst needs to solve the problems that these things address. We need to allow players to change the color of the crosshairs in-game for colorblind people. We need to add a lower graphics processor setting to help people with less powerful machines.

Thanks again to everyone who participated and volunteered questions.

Sincerely, Matthew Scott 

Later on, he did post that we are still allowed to use the Advanced APB Launcher (this was mainly related to the BattlEye update, but still valid to this topic). In that post he also mentions the hope of adding those functions in the game itself.

On 6/7/2018 at 9:05 PM, MattScott said:

EDIT: For clarification, players can still use the Advanced Launcher for the time being. The developer was generous to share the code so we could test and review it. We hope to incorporate many of these features directly into APB in the future.

15 minutes ago, Kevkof said:

Later on, he did post that we are still allowed to use the Advanced APB Launcher (this was mainly related to the BattlEye update, but still valid to this topic). In that post he also mentions the hope of adding those functions in the game itself.

that's right . this is temporary . with the update , this should be discontinued irrevocably . the problem is that this program is installed even on powerful computers . to achieve the advantage . it follows that ADVANCED LAUNCHER twice violates the rules of the end user ! gain an advantage and install third-party software .

Edited by Yood

The problem is that people "need it" even on powerful computers.

Hopefully with the upcoming engine update, people won't have an excuse to use Advanced Launcher's functionality and LO will switch it back to bannable offence as it is now with tampering game files (like the mission's texts).

I don't use the launcher. But I've always seen it as making things fair rather than giving an advantage. 

That is, allowing everyone to compete with the good pc owners. 

Edited by CookiePuss

14 hours ago, Yood said:

that's right . this is temporary . with the update , this should be discontinued irrevocably . the problem is that this program is installed even on powerful computers . to achieve the advantage . it follows that ADVANCED LAUNCHER twice violates the rules of the end user ! gain an advantage and install third-party software .

I'd really like to know what advantage you get out of using the Advanced APB Launcher. 

To my knowledge, the Adv. Launcher only gives you a few more detailed options to edit the graphics settings of the game. 

14 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

I don't use the launcher. But I've always seen it as making things fair rather than giving an advantage. 

That is, allowing everyone to compete with the good pc owners. 

That statement would be true if Advanced Launcher refused to start on "good pc owners".

2 hours ago, Saxtus said:

That statement would be true if Advanced Launcher refused to start on "good pc owners".

But a good PC would already run APB well. So what added benefit does it give?