MattScott

New SPCT team

Something I should have asked before maybe but will the newly formed team mean a change of plans re: making the Engine Upgrade accessible to the general playerbase for early preview? That would be a bit of a step back IMO if so....

Shini streamer , Kempington streamer , Frosi streamer , Skitty ? ....

Shini, Kempington, Skay, Frosi, Rooq, Skitty, CookyPuss, Shakespade, Kevkof, Elanih, Speedz 

Alright ........has one of these people mid range pc or even are bad pc? because as far as I know the game running now good for does people.

Please also let people test the have worse computer because it is still the majority in APB and you should take more care of them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Yood said:

Shini streamer , Kempington streamer , Frosi streamer , Skitty ? ....

You’re right! They should have a tester called Soda!

So... what is exactly the role of the SPCT team? Give feedback on the game just like the whole community does already?

On 12/13/2018 at 6:01 PM, SkittyM said:

would never touch an AMD GPU but im sure APB will run fine on both.

Bold strategy, Cotton, let's see if it pays off.

2 hours ago, Nessie said:

So... what is exactly the role of the SPCT team? Give feedback on the game just like the whole community does already?

We test unreleased content during private playtests together with the LO Devs and QA Team and then give our feedback on it so they can improve things. LO is still learning what the community likes and what they don't like so we're there to help them understand what is good and what is bad so they can improve upon it.

Edited by Frosi
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Frosi said:

We test unreleased content during private playtests together with the LO Devs and QA Team and then give our feedback on it so they can improve things. LO is still learning what the community likes and what they don't like so we're there to help them understand what is good and what is bad so they can improve upon it.

right thing .  doubts about competence . 

I hope Time will tell .

Edited by Yood

wasn't it the same troupe that messed it up weapon balancing? ( do not have a good feelingaaaaaa in the thing )

but I wish you much success!!!

Edited by TrashCan

5 hours ago, Frosi said:

We test unreleased content during private playtests together with the LO Devs and QA Team and then give our feedback on it so they can improve things. 

Is the SPCT only limited to this or will they be interacting with the community as well? If it is the latter, then I am very concerned about a few of the individuals chosen for this position. Based on my past experiences and my friends' past experiences, the only one who has a good grip on how to interact with the entire community and not just a select few is SKay. The other SPCT members have not shown to me that they can provide a good, welcoming experience to the entire community. This could mean that I either have not seen much of them or that there have been negative experiences with them.

As much as I hate to specifically target people, I feel that this individual is probably the easiest to describe what I mean when it comes to poor behavior with the community. Kempington is one the SPCT members who fits in this category of poor behavior. I have played missions with him and he the worst when it comes to positive interactions with the community. He is the type of individual who will bash and blame his teammates for a loss in a mission if he feels it is warranted, so basically majority of the time. The only times where he does not blame his teammates is when he is playing with individuals he knows or thinks is good at APB. From what I have seen and experienced with Kempington is that if you are not associated with certain cliques (theme makers/lovers, "good" players, or subscribers), you are going to be undeniably mistreated by him. If you have watched his streams over the years, you will notice this. Besides his negative attitude with the community, he has definitely been more than helpful with regards to information and gameplay of APB. He has probably done the most out of all the current SPCT members if we're talking from an informative perspective about APB. So as much as I am probably bashing him, I am glad to see him on this team because I believe he will be able to help connect the community and LO. Though, he has to fix his attitude.

A member of the SPCT that does not make sense to me on why they were chosen is Skitty. I have had some bad experiences with this individual and my friends have as well to the point that they have quit the game because of said individual and his clique. He is like Kempington with regards to how he interacts with the community, but not helpful at all. If you were to try to approach Skitty prior to this, he would come off as a jerk regardless of what is being said or asked. Now, if we were solely going off of gameplay and information, he doesn't fit the qualities for SPCT either. He only knows how to use Remote Det and is not known for playing a wide variety of guns. I don't see how having this type of person will help connect the community and LO or help provide valuable feedback for future, untested content.

@MattScott Introducing a new SPCT team is a step in the right direction, but I'd like to hear more on what the duties of the SPCT team are and whether or not they are going to be held to a higher standard when it comes to behavior and interactions with the entire community. Also, I'd be willing to provide my main to you if you so desire just so you know I'm not just a troll trying to start stuff. The only reason I have not posted on my main is because I know how vicious the community is towards people who "attack" their friends.

• Like 2

Hi all,

Despite some of the negativity, there has been a lot of good discussion here around the new team and its members. Given this game’s history I expected there would be some criticism.

I’ll try to address some of the concerns.

1) The new SPCT is primarily focused on testing unreleased content. We test things internally as best as we can, but as we saw with some of the recent events, we could have used some help finding issues. These aren’t necessarily bugs. They can just be abusable mechanics for a minigame. We want to do more public tests, but engagement on OTW can be pretty hit or miss these days. In order to be involved in the SPCT, these members have agreed to participate in closed tests and write up feedback.

2) They are not representatives of Little Orbit, nor are they meant to be community ambassadors or player-facing helpers. We started the team to address a specific problem, and that’s it. We need to walk before we run, but if this works well, then we may start other community teams for other reasons.

Hopefully we will be expanding the SPCT over the coming months. I’d like to have a much larger pool of reliable players that we can use for testing more complex features as they come up.

Thanks,

Matt

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Really wondering where those downvotes are coming from. Doesn't really seem like there's been all that much pushback against this from anyone besides that one guy. Wonder what the reasoning behind it is. Huh.

Though I don't quite agree with how things are being approached this time around myself (hardly downvote worthy yeesh people). Then again that isn't really my problem or place to say. It what it is. So I'll leave that there and end with something more positive. Having a direct line for feedback should help iron things out for future updates I bet. Plus I'm just plain happy to see more volunteer programs making their way back into APB. I hope it works out! Best of luck and all that! 🙂 

Edited by Genobee

48 minutes ago, MattScott said:

We need to walk before we run

Why not pull a h*mo sapien and go striaght to flying?

Edited by Weeb TheEpicGuyV2
Language filters, yay

The more testers there are, the higher quality the feedback is (globally). At Vanguard we're about 100-120 people testing new stuff every week and still it feels like we aren't really enough, given we have other priorites (life stuff)... But the problem is APB has such a "small" playerbase compared to the most popular games that increasing the testers count would result in most of the playerbase being a tester...

1 hour ago, ThrowawayAccount said:

SPCT

whose ur main kid

39 minutes ago, MattScott said:

hit or miss

I guess they never miss, huh?

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

I. . . I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.

8 minutes ago, RubyGee said:

The more testers there are, the higher quality the feedback is (globally). At Vanguard we're about 100-120 people testing new stuff every week and still it feels like we aren't really enough, given we have other priorites (life stuff)... But the problem is APB has such a "small" playerbase compared to the most popular games that increasing the testers count would result in most of the playerbase being a tester...

Still, 25 or so would be nice.

Edited by Kewlin
formatting
  • Like 1

Just now, Kewlin said:

Hide contents

I guess they never miss, huh?

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

That's a ban. 

1 minute ago, Kewlin said:

Still, 25 or so would be nice.

Yeah, it would, but how many will actually be active ? On my side we're around 40 people active everyday, and that includes a few corps.

A member of the SPCT that does not make sense to me on why they were chosen is Skitty. I have had some bad experiences with this individual and my friends have as well to the point that they have quit the game because of said individual and his clique. He is like Kempington with regards to how he interacts with the community, but not helpful at all. If you were to try to approach Skitty prior to this, he would come off as a jerk regardless of what is being said or asked. Now, if we were solely going off of gameplay and information, he doesn't fit the qualities for SPCT either. He only knows how to use Remote Det and is not known for playing a wide variety of guns. I don't see how having this type of person will help connect the community and LO or help provide valuable feedback for future, untested content.

At first I didn't read this because it's long, but I'm glad I did, 'cause it's a good lol.

2 minutes ago, RubyGee said:

Yeah, it would, but how many will actually be active ? On my side we're around 40 people active everyday, and that includes a few corps.

In my opinion though inactivity is part of the reason you need more than 11 people or whatever. You can't expect people to be active every test all the time, and you need at least 8 people TBH to test shit at all.

19 minutes ago, MattScott said:

Hi all,

Despite some of the negativity, there has been a lot of good discussion here around the new team and its members. Given this game’s history I expected there would be some criticism.

I’ll try to address some of the concerns.

1) The new SPCT is primarily focused on testing unreleased content. We test things internally as best as we can, but as we saw with some of the recent events, we could have used some help finding issues. These aren’t necessarily bugs. They can just be abusable mechanics for a minigame. We want to do more public tests, but engagement on OTW can be pretty hit or miss these days. In order to be involved in the SPCT, these members have agreed to participate in closed tests and write up feedback.

2) They are not representatives of Little Orbit, nor are they meant to be community ambassadors or player-facing helpers. We started the team to address a specific problem, and that’s it. We need to walk before we run, but if this works well, then we may start other community teams for other reasons.

Hopefully we will be expanding the SPCT over the coming months. I’d like to have a much larger pool of reliable players that we can use for testing more complex features as they come up.

Thanks,

Matt

Thank you for responding.

If the SPCT team's sole purpose is to provide feedback about untested content and not to connect the community and LO together, what is the point of publicly announcing specific individuals who were chosen for the SPCT team? All this does it increase the possibility of negative behavior being thrown towards these individuals, which may lead to biased feedback about untested content. I'll use the game's environment as an example. There have been numerous individuals wanting to change the game's environment during missions, specifically that individuals outside a mission cannot interact with the players inside the mission (ie: cars going through cars). If these SPCT members are being specifically griefed during missions, they may try to change how the environment works for upcoming events/content, which may or may not be a good thing.

I am happy with what has been done and changed by LO, but I still believe that there is a lot toxic behavior that needs to be dealt with before the game can get better. You can have all your feedback and fixes to gameplay, but if the community is toxic then people are going to continue straying away from this game. Not having a community team that provides a positive experience for the entire community reduces the chances of toxicity being dealt with. That being said, I am hopeful for the future, thank you for that.

• Thanks 1

Is the SPCT only limited to this or will they be interacting with the community as well? If it is the latter, then I am very concerned about a few of the individuals chosen for this position. Based on my past experiences and my friends' past experiences, the only one who has a good grip on how to interact with the entire community and not just a select few is SKay. The other SPCT members have not shown to me that they can provide a good, welcoming experience to the entire community. This could mean that I either have not seen much of them or that there have been negative experiences with them.

As much as I hate to specifically target people, I feel that this individual is probably the easiest to describe what I mean when it comes to poor behavior with the community. Kempington is one the SPCT members who fits in this category of poor behavior. I have played missions with him and he the worst when it comes to positive interactions with the community. He is the type of individual who will bash and blame his teammates for a loss in a mission if he feels it is warranted, so basically majority of the time. The only times where he does not blame his teammates is when he is playing with individuals he knows or thinks is good at APB. From what I have seen and experienced with Kempington is that if you are not associated with certain cliques (theme makers/lovers, "good" players, or subscribers), you are going to be undeniably mistreated by him. If you have watched his streams over the years, you will notice this. Besides his negative attitude with the community, he has definitely been more than helpful with regards to information and gameplay of APB. He has probably done the most out of all the current SPCT members if we're talking from an informative perspective about APB. So as much as I am probably bashing him, I am glad to see him on this team because I believe he will be able to help connect the community and LO. Though, he has to fix his attitude.

@MattScott Introducing a new SPCT team is a step in the right direction, but I'd like to hear more on what the duties of the SPCT team are and whether or not they are going to be held to a higher standard when it comes to behavior and interactions with the entire community. Also, I'd be willing to provide my main to you if you so desire just so you know I'm not just a troll trying to start stuff. The only reason I have not posted on my main is because I know how vicious the community is towards people who "attack" their friends.

I can only guess that you hsve never taken the time to actually get to know me or those around me.  Thats fine though, it is the internet after all.

1 minute ago, Kewlin said:

In my opinion though inactivity is part of the reason you need more than 11 people or whatever. You can't expect people to be active every test all the time, and you need at least 8 people TBH to test shit at all.

I agree with you, but given the small playerbase, it's tough to find the right number. Something around 20-30 people as you mentioned would be nice, though they'd need to enforce the NDA as much as they can, because some could not care about it at all.

Just now, RubyGee said:

. . . though they'd need to enforce the NDA as much as they can, because some could not care about it at all.

Well if that's a main priority. . . I'm not sure they're going to do well with that no matter what.