MattScott

Should we give out the Autumn Assault skin?

Autumn Assault reward poll  

294 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Should we give out the Autumn Assault skin to everyone who logged in?

• Yes. The event was flawed. There was no way for me to win.
    • No. Players worked hard to win. It will devalue their effort.
    • I don’t care.

Hi everyone,

I have already commented a couple times about the event. Many players have asked us ‘what were you thinking?’ So here is a bit of an explanation.

- Autumn Assault was based on some

existing mexhanics that we tried to polish up to make more fun.

- We had just come off developing Epidemic as a mode we let players join any time, so we thought we would do something different for November.

- We intended Autumn Assault as a fun series of GM run events where players could interact a little more directly. 

- Since we needed to fire off the event manually, we decided to publish a schedule we could stick to in advance with multiple times a day, so players would know when the events were happening.

- We came up with a skin and joker ticket amounts that we felt would make the games

worth it for players.

And then we had some significant problems:

- There was not enough testing. Period. 

- We swapped the skin at the last minute and made it account bound, so that players wouldn’t keep trying to win. GMs tried to encourage players who had already won to let others win. But the joker ticket inventive was too high. So very good players kept winning anyway.

- One of the main games had very bad bugs and had to be replaced, and there were issues overall that prevented the games from being very fun.

- We had performance issues in full districts, so we eventually moved the events to a version of Financial with lower player caps. That led to lower amounts of people who could get in at a time, so we tried running the games more often to give as many players as possible a chance to win.

- We didn’t have enough staff to run the events later in the evenings so that players with schedule conflicts would have a chance to join.

Overall, not great. Lots of lessons learned.

Going forward, I think these sorts of events are best left as one-off things we can do here and there for minor prizes. They don’t work for larger scale extended events, and I doubt we’ll do 1st place rewards like this, because there is a finite (small) amount of players who can actually win.

It has been proposed that we give out the Autumn Assault skin, which I’m not opposed to.

Tell me what you’d like to see happen.

Thanks,

Matt

• Like 14
  • Thanks 12

I managed to win the skin, but it was more of an exercise in luck rather than skill.

I don't mind it being given out at this rate

• Like 6

If the next event will also have zones in which you need to be in combat - designate these zones. You can make colored floating markers that were in an epidemic.

• Like 5

Should probably give it to those that participated in a number of the games rather than just a blanket throwing it out.

(Note: I didn't even log in to APB for any of the events for those that are opposed to this opinion with the basis in that I want the skin)

Edited by NotZombieBiscuit
  • Like 2

Honestly , i don't care , i didn't get the skin , and i didn't want it THAT badly , pretty much were there for the JT , honestly if i had it i probably would want it to stay exclusive , but in another way it's true that the way to get it was more "luck" than anything else , wich also makes it fair for everyone to get .

i hope people get more exclusives , but it needs to be done good. but for now giving this to everyone also seems fair .

• Thanks 1

Just now, NotZombieBiscuit said:

Should probably give it to those that participated in a number of the games rather than just a blanket throwing it out.

This is a good idea, but it would take a lot of effort to try and go back through the logs to determine the participants and then sort them by the number of times they played to find a cutoff. I’d rather focus our development efforts elsewhere.

It’s fairly easy for us to determine the players that logged in during the weeks the event was active and award those players the skin.

• Like 8

giphy.gif

On-topic reaction gif, ladies and gentlemen!!!

• Like 2

Just now, MattScott said:

This is a good idea, but it would take a lot of effort to try and go back through the logs to determine the participants and then sort them by the number of times they played to find a cutoff. I’d rather focus our development efforts elsewhere.

It’s fairly easy for us to determine the players that logged in during the weeks the event was active and award those players the skin.

How difficult is it to determine that they played one game, when compared to a number of games?

i did not even bother joining a district, let alone try playing it. and from the comments about it im glad i didnt.

i dont care tbh.

The problem with the event wasn't the exclusive skin for elitist. The problem was that you could repeatedly play and win and the 1st place was the only one way to get the skin. I got the skin but I also enjoyed 20v20 gungame event, So I kept participating and winning

Edited by Lign
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

How difficult is it to determine that they played one game, when compared to a number of games?

Less difficult, but still an hour of a dev’s time vs a couple minutes. More than I want to devote.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MattScott said:

Less difficult, but still an hour of a dev’s time vs a couple minutes. More than I want to devote.

Tell the intern to do it. They don't have human rights anyway.

Really appreciated that you put effort responding to our insights. Good luck with developing next event

whatever your heart tells you to do matt.

3rd option (my idea anyway) i know the autumn assault skin was a "butcher" reskin so it has red parts on it my suggestion is give everyone the skin (exclusive died when you sold bat wings on armas) and make a version changeing those red parts to the more calm autumn orange.

HO3QnkS.jpg

Change the red parts (so it's not a constant reminder i can't play "the butcher") to the "white" and orange parts i might even make a quick edit to show the idea i'm talkin' about

Edited by Zolerox
  • Like 1

I'd like a free skin but understand why the winners would want to keep is exclusive but I missed all the events due to being in the wrong hemisphere and the talk here about the game only being for "pro-players and hackers" stopped any attempts at killing my circadian rhythm in order to log in during an event time. 

My suggestion is to just make it available next year it's what I liked about the G1 events yes they were boring repeats every year but every year was a chance for a filthy casual like me to earn some rewards I missed out on the previous year. 

My other suggestion is to knock off the whole "winner takes all" stuff, the Gun Game/Butcher/12 Deaths of Christmas all had the same problem with first place being held only by the "pro players and hackers" even when they had already gotten their exclusive gift people just like to be on top so go with what other events had and go for a progression/rank system like with the Epidemic/Halloween stuff, rewards need to go to the losers too because this is APB and people have to lose in order for others to win, so we all should get something for playing - this is one thing the Epidemic Event lost - no reward for losing and it had 2 teams losing instead of the usual 1. First place/Winner should still get a healthy chuck of reward but leave some for the peasants who will probably never get to the top of the scoreboard for [insert whatever reason here].

• Like 3

I wish to still get that weapon skin.
Just look at who participated in the event, and not how much times they played it. @MattScott

• Like 1

If you really felt true to giving away the skin, I believe that you should only give it as a redeem code for one character. At the least it will leave the winners will feel better, because they won and got the account bound version.

Edited by RoseTheGoat
  • Like 1

Just now, RoseTheGoat said:

If you really felt true to giving away the skin, I believe that you should only give it as a redeem code for one character. At the least it will leave the winnings feeling better that because they won, they get the account bound version.

Winning was just luck based, or some cheater getting away with the win.
So I think this is a bad idea, everyone should just get the same.

Giving it to everyone would ruin the exclusivity, just like you did with everything else (FFA R&D 3, 3D glasses, devil wings).

Please don't.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Lumshedens said:

Giving it to everyone would ruin the exclusivity, just like you did with everything else (FFA R&D 3, 3D glasses, devil wings).

Please don't.

Yeach that was a HUGE fail with 3D glasses.

No one cares about your half assed skin that you made out of the Butcher skin template, fix the cheating problem and other major bugs that your dev team has introduced with trying to "improve" the game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cheater said:

No one cares about your half assed skin that you made out of the Butcher skin template, fix the cheating problem and other major bugs that your dev team has introduced with trying to "improve" the game.

According to the poll, less than a third of the voters do not care. So more than two thirds of the voters care in one way or another.

3 minutes ago, Lumshedens said:

Please don't.

I would agree with this if it wasn't a timed event.
Since you could only participate at a certain time, the other events in the past have never been like this.
It's also a bad thing to place rewards on the win, since you know that cheaters get away with it most of the time.
Or the same player over and over again, like I saw happening the times when I could play the event.

• Like 2