SalmonToastie

Give all the jokerbox/legendary weapons the option to use all the skins avaliable in game.

Title says it all, why limit them to the unique or just the basic skin, giving them all the skins avaliable seems like a nice little idea that would work wonders.

• Thanks 1

would be nice

going one step further it would be cool if owning a legendary weapon unlocked that weapons legendary skin for use on any other guns

of course that would mean some legendaries would need better skins - looking at the grey brick that is the ursus

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

would be nice

going one step further it would be cool if owning a legendary weapon unlocked that weapons legendary skin for use on any other guns

of course that would mean some legendaries would need better skins - looking at the grey brick that is the ursus

Yeah, i guess they need to ''rig'' the skins on all the wep models. Just thought how nice the high tech skin is and how well it would work with the medusa or the ursus. Or even still, what about all the event skins, shame i can't use them at all for the legendary weps.

Edited by SalmonToastie

5 minutes ago, SalmonToastie said:

Yeah, i guess they need to ''rig'' the skins on all the wep models. Just thought how nice the high tech skin is and how well it would work with the medusa or the ursus. Or even still, what about all the event skins, shame i can't use them at all for the legendary weps.

id like to see what the G-kings skin looks like on the legendaries

To be honest the point of legendaries is to be unique weapons with a unique skin...

I don't mind them being skin locked, I just wish they gave them proper skins for each gun (the Ursus for example looks so bland).

Edited by Nessie

15 hours ago, BXNNXD said:

would be nice

Agreed, I've wanted that as a feature for so fucking long.

Also, not gonna' lie, I'd use the Ursus' skin on a lot of guns, 'cause there currently is no black skin, the closest being assassin, which has little hexes on it. Black metal with black plastic furniture would be nice IMO.

3 hours ago, Nessie said:

To be honest the point of legendaries is to be unique weapons with a unique skin...

I don't mind them being skin locked, I just wish they gave them proper skins for each gun (the Ursus for example looks so bland).

Nothing's stopping you from using the default skin on a legendary, and IDK how it hurts for there to be more options.

21 hours ago, Nessie said:

Wouldn't the ability to use whatever skin you wanted make them even more worth having though?  Nothing wrong with just adding the option.  Nothing negative could come from it, but it would make a lot of people happy if it happened.  I doubt anyone would get too bent out of shape about this.

Edited by BrandonBranderson

5 hours ago, BrandonBranderson said:

Wouldn't the ability to use whatever skin you wanted make them even more worth having though?  Nothing wrong with just adding the option.  Nothing negative could come from it, but it would make a lot of people happy if it happened.  I doubt anyone would get too bent out of shape about this.

23 hours ago, Kewlin said:

Nothing's stopping you from using the default skin on a legendary, and IDK how it hurts for there to be more options.

I don't agree. I think that having the skin not locked is lowering the value of it, as it doesn't have anymore a unique style, and every player just customizes it like any other normal weapon. From my point of view, a legendary should always be recognized in the hands of a player when used, thats why the unique, appariscent skin that fits the weapon.

I've done my fair share of modelling and texturing. I can tell you that this won't happen, at least until way later, because it is not a matter of unlocking skins, it is a matter of creating the skins. Each weapon is a different model and needs a unique texture. Old devs were lazy enough and wanted to chuck out lootboxes and new weapons every patch so they just made the weapon models and gave them one or two textures/skins and that was it. 

So if you want all the skins for all the weapons, the modellers have to actually create them from scratch, not unlock them.

On 5/31/2018 at 2:38 AM, SalmonToastie said:

Title says it all, why limit them to the unique or just the basic skin, giving them all the skins avaliable seems like a nice little idea that would work wonders.

Ive been thinking of this, and honestly i dont see why not. It should really happen, i would love to have glow in the dark skins in my legendary guns.

9 hours ago, Musul Man said:

I've done my fair share of modelling and texturing. I can tell you that this won't happen, at least until way later, because it is not a matter of unlocking skins, it is a matter of creating the skins. Each weapon is a different model and needs a unique texture. Old devs were lazy enough and wanted to chuck out lootboxes and new weapons every patch so they just made the weapon models and gave them one or two textures/skins and that was it. 

So if you want all the skins for all the weapons, the modellers have to actually create them from scratch, not unlock them.

Indeed, and customize even the muzzle flash. But i think they cant do it.

Edited by LuzExtinguido

11 hours ago, Musul Man said:

I can tell you don't know much about APB's skin system, so I'll give you a brief rundown of how it works.

Unfortunately the main page that talked about the skin system is down, but I'll try to explain the way it works in short. Yes, you are correct that skins need to be set up individually for each weapon, but no unique textures are necessary. Every weapon in APB has two textures that map different locations on the gun (E.G. stock and foregrip, barrel, receiver, etc.) so that they can be individually modified, each gun simply has a child version of each skin's shader where they apply all the different materials and textures in a skin to their different masked locations, so in fact all of the textures and materials are set up such that they don't need to make any new materials, they would simply need set regions on the guns and configure the texture locations (tiling, size, etc..) Now, obviously I'm not saying this doesn't take any time, considering that there are roughly 24 legendaries they'd need to set up skins for, and many, many skins, but it isn't quite as difficult as making texture maps for every gun and skin. Not to mention, some of the legendaries already have skin support, such as the Nano, it simply isn't enabled.

Images describing roughly how the skin system works:

o97JjWq.png

BkGLYTR.png
9Iiu3vJ.png
0D46hzI.png

13 minutes ago, Kewlin said:

I can tell you don't know much about APB's skin system, so I'll give you a brief rundown of how it works.

Unfortunately the main page that talked about the skin system is down, but I'll try to explain the way it works in short. Yes, you are correct that skins need to be set up individually for each weapon, but no unique textures are necessary. Every weapon in APB has two textures that map different locations on the gun (E.G. stock and foregrip, barrel, receiver, etc.) so that they can be individually modified, each gun simply has a child version of each skin's shader where they apply all the different materials and textures in a skin to their different masked locations, so in fact all of the textures and materials are set up such that they don't need to make any new materials, they would simply need set regions on the guns and configure the texture locations (tiling, size, etc..) Now, obviously I'm not saying this doesn't take any time, considering that there are roughly 24 legendaries they'd need to set up skins for, and many, many skins, but it isn't quite as difficult as making texture maps for every gun and skin. Not to mention, some of the legendaries already have skin support, such as the Nano, it simply isn't enabled.

Images describing roughly how the skin system works:

o97JjWq.png

BkGLYTR.png
9Iiu3vJ.png
0D46hzI.png

Wow thanks, i knew they had to do something but this makes it look way easier than i originally thought. I just checked the marketplace and guess what? On the skins, featured and there is the AMG medusa with a hazard skin!

Edited by SalmonToastie

26 minutes ago, SalmonToastie said:

Wow thanks, i knew they had to do something but this makes it look way easier than i originally thought. I just checked the marketplace and guess what? On the skins, featured and there is the AMG medusa with a hazard skin!

That's funny, I never noticed that one, though some members of the community did need to ask G1 to replace the Rainbow Skin Pack image when it was originally an OCA Nano after the ARMAS update.

I'm not gonna' lie though, I've always wanted the OCA Whisper with the Connoisseur skin on the top row of the last image I posted.

Well I guess then it would be simpler but still the devs would have to do all that work even if its less work because they're just UV mapping and shading. But with that amount of work, over time, maybe just a couple of guys can pull it off relatively fast

9 hours ago, Kewlin said:

That's funny, I never noticed that one, though some members of the community did need to ask G1 to replace the Rainbow Skin Pack image when it was originally an OCA Nano after the ARMAS update.

I'm not gonna' lie though, I've always wanted the OCA Whisper with the Connoisseur skin on the top row of the last image I posted.

Yeah man that would look great on practically any gun, its the polar opposite of the gold skin we have now.