Rumple

Why are people still playing APB:R? RPS Article Discussion

1 minute ago, killerskull said:

I remember I was disappointed with the customization because when I made my first char, I thought I could customize his beard. Cut from here, shape there. Same thing with the hair. But nope, all male chars with beards look the same. I know people say customization is amazing and blah blah but thats the only area I cared about and didnt get it. 

To be fair the actual character customization is alright, but the most limited. The rest of the system allowed for people to get creative. I would love to see that piece updated when we're in a new engine. I like the idea of just shaving/cutting my character's beard to my own design, that sounds fun.

Hi everyone,

I really enjoyed reading this thoughtful discussion about why players have stuck with APB. It's one of the first entirely non-toxic threads I've seen on the new forums that made me smile, because I got an inside view into the game from the perspective of some older players. Thanks to the OP for not only posting the topic, but then prompting more people to answer. And thanks to everyone who engaged to give honest and open answers.

Matt

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

hmm why do I play apb.....

Enforcers vs Criminals with some crazy driving just to get around to try getting to objective points first only to get into an insane but totally fun firefight

but more importantly......where else can I blow up my clan leader lol

unless I annoy him too much then he whips out a sniper on me X.X

Dead Rabbit R.I.P

1 hour ago, MattScott said:

Hi everyone,

I really enjoyed reading this thoughtful discussion about why players have stuck with APB. It's one of the first entirely non-toxic threads I've seen on the new forums that made me smile, because I got an inside view into the game from the perspective of some older players. Thanks to the OP for not only posting the topic, but then prompting more people to answer. And thanks to everyone who engaged to give honest and open answers.

Matt

You know how it is when you're a kid. Your mum grounds you and you can moan and moan about her being a terrible parent but NO ONE can say anything about MY Mum!

Erm... so APB is my mum lol

claims gunplay is garbage, compares it to 2 games of completely different genres outside of "shoot the enemy" while stating he's barely played the game and yet feels the need to insert his opinion on a matter that has more depth than almost every F2P shooter out there.

gaming journalism, everybody.

• Like 2

Not gonna lie, the only reason I still thought of APB ever since I first got to try closed beta, was because this game is where I met most of my friends when I started out playing video games.

It was the common ground for most of us. I've seen a few friends recently that I haven't seen for what feels like 3 years. Eventually, we all kinda went our separate ways, what with life, and with different genres of games. But this is the one most of us really invested our time with, our life with.

I mean I know it sounds weird, investing your life into a video game, but I mean with the amount of hours some of us were putting into the game, it definitely felt like that. Felt like a big chatroom in which your creative side had the most freedom to represent what you wanted to be, from a regular looking human being, to some freakish Frankenstein creation.

I mean the game was also for trolls, because I doubt any other game could let you look as ridiculous as APB would allow. People just love doing that sometimes. It's whatever to me, just do you.

A lot of us held on to the hope that the cheater/hacker aspect would get shot out of the game, as well as all the people who make the game worse than what it could be. I guess that's why some of us are coming back, to see if it can really happen. I've never seen a game with more hope on the players side of it than any other game.

The article is definitely biased, and to me, it comes from a hopeless standpoint, begging on controversy to make it popular, like most articles of today. To me, it's nothing new, and it should be nothing new to us as the player-base, that we have people dissing a game that was way ahead of it's time and place. I'm waiting for the next article to say something about Little Orbit, and the revival of APB.

That is my hope, that is my dream. Little Orbit, do us proud.

• Thanks 1

For me it's this:  You're told what the objective is but there's like an unlimited number of ways to do it. It's up to you, using any weapon/car/mods setup you like, looking any way you like, in an open map, together with other people/friends. APB is rewarding if you're a tactically creative or creative with design, music, art etc. You get to actually use whatever skills you have as a person. In most other games there's one or a couple of ways to do something only. Not here. There are so many elements which can make the same exact missions feel completely different almost every time you play them. If you get tired of your gun, clothes, theme, colors, car, mods.... you just change it. There's also something about the gun mechanics that I find addictive which is hard to put words on.  

There's really nothing else like it.

Edited by SilverCrow
  • Like 1

Remember when to call yourself a journalist, you had to actually BE a journalist?

... I hate being old

I started to play it since 2013 and back then all that mattered to me was the customisation, which was insane. Gradually I became more invested in the game and I started to enjoy it more and more, this time not for the fancy clothes, but for the combat. I have never seen a more fluid and brilliant combat system as the one in APB. The gunplay is so damn satisfying with all the weapons. Then there is the tactical side of leaning and shoulder angle. I really used to love it, even though I sucked at it. I stopped playing it in 2015, because I thought there was no hope for this game. Occasionally I returned, but not for long. I've played mostly alone, but I met a lot of interesting people with whom I had a great time. I returned now in 2018 on a new account and the fact that LO is taking over makes me very excited. I hope these guys will save the game, because it has a lot of potential and really nothing comes close to it. I hope to love this game again, just like I did in 2013 when I first booted it up.

1. Customization like no other game - biggest point*

2. The style of gameplay that not even battlegrounds or fortnite can combat with*

On 5/31/2018 at 6:03 AM, Songbearer said:

APB is a semi-tactical shooter that requires teamwork and co-ordination, similar to Counterstrike (minus the polish and laser-sharp gunplay).

Funny, I'd say compared to other shooters APB offers quite some "laser-sharp gunplay". It's very straight forward, easy to understand (ignoring some JMB weapons) and fast-paced.

Also quite possibly the best third-person-shooter gameplay to this day.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SilverCrow said:

...APB is rewarding if you're a tactically creative or creative with design, music, art etc. You get to actually use whatever skills you have as a person.

Totally agree. Weird thing though. In RL I know nothing about designing outfits or clothes but I am a musician with loads of experience producing music.

In game I make all my money selling clothes amd hardly anything from themes.

On 5/31/2018 at 12:44 AM, Rumple said:

😴😴😴

I think the proper question would be: why we keep coming back, because some people left for large amounts of time and some of us allways been here.

There is nothing else like apb atm. Even with all its flaws and troubles its a game that wont repeat (i think, who knows in a future). The amount of dedication and pasion into doing everything in it have endured over time, even when attempted to be destroyed or reduced.

Deep customization and the symbol maker to enforce that. You can customize your cars aswell. The driving is beautiful even more than other racing games and you can even transport people with them firing out the windows -I barely seen any other games with such feature, "gta", perfect world with the mounts and cuddling, planetside 2 and maybe a few others. Would be nice that apb has a similar feature for social or out of missions as cuddling, some people really enjoy romances roleplay-. Fighting mechanics are dynamic and interesting. Powerful weapons f2p like are nhvr, osmaw and opgl. Many other stuff that do not come in mind right now...

It would be nice we could customize our weapons more than only add them modifications and skins.

In resume you can be unique both in your gameplay and looking, and apb excels in that over other games by far, really far.

Edited by LuzExtinguido

I like the context and characters.

Also also the organizations you can pledge to have an interesting background and visual design.

On 5/30/2018 at 9:54 PM, BXNNXD said:

i really enjoy the way this "journalist" interviews players and then immediately contradicts anything positive they say about the game in the next line, some real a-grade process happening there

on the bright side our resident forumer szambi is now famous - dont forget about us peasants when you're getting a star on hollywood blvd

I thought the exact same thing, how this person did an "interview" then just said... nah that's not right m8.   It is weird to me how an outsider can take one look at the shooting, driving, UI and basic features and totally dismiss everything.  There hasn't been one journalist that I know of that has had good things to say about APB, yet the player base that stuck around since the beginning will have a much different view of the game, sort of like when you look at "rotten tomatoes" for a review of a movie and the critical response is vastly different than the audience. 

APB has PVP that is not p2w, vast customization features that have not been rivaled by any game since, and a skill ceiling that can only be reached by learning something every time you play. It's a game that is easy to pick up and play but hard to master. The best multiplayer third-person shooter ever made that "experts" will seemingly never understand.

Despite all the doomsayers, it is 2018 andAPB is still alive and hopefully off to a new start. Report that 😛

11 hours ago, MattScott said:

Hi everyone,

Matt

Thanks Matt!

Glad we were able to give you a look into our connection with APB. And I am also glad we're having a non-toxic discussion, I think it's probably because even toxic players love APB and want to see it succeed. We're all counting on LO!

On 5/31/2018 at 1:53 AM, Zascha said:

I've played lots of games over the years, and APB is quite unique.

THE GAME STARTS AT RANK 1, NOT RANK 255!!!

In APB, you pick your gun, get inside a car, ride, shoot, press F. Rinse and repeat until you're blue in the face. That's all there is to it. It's the same from the first time you step in, until the last time you ever play.

The point I'm making here is APB gets right what so many other games get wrong: The core gameplay is simple, it's fun because it's simple, and there's nothing standing between you and doing that simple, fun core gameplay.

Missions are long enough to be engaging and short enough so you don't get bored. You're always moving. The "level" changes constantly. The requirements of the missions are always challenging you.

But then, there is something else about it. You get to make your character from the ground up. And I mean you really get to make it.

The reason this game has that special something that no other game has, is because it is simply fun, it works, and it allows you to invest your imagination into it unlike any game that has ever come before it. No other game allows you to do that as a feature to this extent. None. Ever. And not just you, but your car, your music, your art, your expression. It's not just that you can make whatever you want. It's that the game is allowing you to invest your imagination into it. It WANTS you to use your imagination. It WANTS you to have an effect in the game. It WANTS you to exist inside the game.

And Cheaters and bad management have tried their absolute damndest to run it into the ground. We will never get another game like this. Ever.

Really enjoyed your post! Took me awhile to get around to reading it, but I am glad I did. I did some edits if anyone wants to read a slightly condensed version, but for the full experience I'd recommend the full post!

At the end of the day, you're right. APB is fun and that's why we play APB.

6 hours ago, BartMcRoy said:

Not gonna lie, the only reason I still thought of APB ever since I first got to try closed beta, was because this game is where I met most of my friends when I started out playing video games.

It was the common ground for most of us. I've seen a few friends recently that I haven't seen for what feels like 3 years. Eventually, we all kinda went our separate ways, what with life, and with different genres of games. But this is the one most of us really invested our time with, our life with.

I mean I know it sounds weird, investing your life into a video game, but I mean with the amount of hours some of us were putting into the game, it definitely felt like that. Felt like a big chatroom in which your creative side had the most freedom to represent what you wanted to be, from a regular looking human being, to some freakish Frankenstein creation.

I mean the game was also for trolls, because I doubt any other game could let you look as ridiculous as APB would allow. People just love doing that sometimes. It's whatever to me, just do you.

A lot of us held on to the hope that the cheater/hacker aspect would get shot out of the game, as well as all the people who make the game worse than what it could be. I guess that's why some of us are coming back, to see if it can really happen. I've never seen a game with more hope on the players side of it than any other game.

The article is definitely biased, and to me, it comes from a hopeless standpoint, begging on controversy to make it popular, like most articles of today. To me, it's nothing new, and it should be nothing new to us as the player-base, that we have people dissing a game that was way ahead of it's time and place. I'm waiting for the next article to say something about Little Orbit, and the revival of APB.

That is my hope, that is my dream. Little Orbit, do us proud.

I do miss the days when I'd login and have dozens of friends to play with. These days I haven't been in a group for like 2 years... It's nice to see people coming back and I do hope we see more return as LO improves the game.

Looking forward to our conversation in the discussion of that revival article! hah 

• Like 1

just please please dont change the gunplay and carplay like every socalled Game "jounalist" says its fine and just because they are too bad to play more than like 5 minutes and instantly blaming dying by nades on cheaters 

its just madness 

The guy writing the article said " I never have more than a passing interest in changing my appearance when I play games, no matter how fancy the tools to do so are. " so basically everything this game is unique and excels in compared to other games was totally lost on that guy. He shoulda put a tl;dr up saying just that, cause that woulda saved me the time reading the article. Its really not worth reading.

Theres always those peope that don't care how their character looks as long as the game has a cute wallpaper (read: a good looking map). For me it was always the opposite, the map can look like from the 80ties it wouldn't bother me.. less map distraction is a rather good thing. I like the uniqueness and creativity people put in their characters and cars in apb together with an okay weapon balance and map thats maybe less about looks but more about balance (every spot has at least 2 entrances etc..). There really is no other shooter out there that can compete with apb in character customization.

Despite multiple attempts to create proper GTA-esque 3rd person shooter with open world elements and some kind of matchmaking, not even AAA companies have gotten it right so far. APB is still something many game developers could use as point of refrence when they are working on such thing. GTA V for example was a massive blunder when it comes to certain things that are critical in PvP scenarios. It's more like just PvE game with PvP based griefing opportunities than proper PvP thingy.

There are game where £cooperative mission" means: "what amount of stuff do you collected in your character? did you get the $$$ super rifle? No!? Useless team !! ""

Instead in APB also the last unorganized poor/disaster team could have a chance to be the salvation of entire mission on the last second.

A true addiction for see how the mission could ends, in opposition to every prevision. every bullet is important and could reverse the final score :D

Plus is open world, with cars, with Unique and complete customitation.