Rumple

Why are people still playing APB:R? RPS Article Discussion

5 hours ago, LUST said:

Point of the article: "Games all should be the same, I suck at shooting, and since I don't want to customize--customization is pointless. I just don't want to understand."

He gets an answer to his article's title; however, it doesn't sit right with him because wanted to hear comments that belittled the game (and didn't). In the end, he didn't care for anything anyone said; he just wanted to make a snark comment about the game to say: it's not like anything else but he simply cannot respect that.

"Gaming journalists" are something else.

Yeah, it's a shining example of journalism. 😶

3 hours ago, Meta said:

3ml4OCa.png

Funny af, saving this.

2 hours ago, Puffdragon said:

Apb isn't about good graphics, realistic physics, or intriguing gun play. Apb is about pretending to be cool, and making people think you are cool so you can pretend that you actually think you are cool. Then you stand in social and banter on the mic, until everyone gets sleepy, then all the clans go to there separate spots and draw with crayons.

This journalist clearly has no clue.

Yeah he didn't even mention how cool we are. 🙊

RPS? people still read that nonsense page/magazine?

people still play APB because actually missions are complex enough to not be too repettive, and there is no other proper open World PvP game with this kind of customisation.

GTA cannot deliver the customisationa dn their PVP is by how wepaons and cars work derp^3 (wat we can't make text up and low anymore?  WhyTheFormattingt new FORUM.

Edited by LilyV3
  • Like 1

Another thing very few articles critical of APB don't seem to look too deeply into is why the car handling is the way it is. I'll agree that like a lot of mechanics in APB it's totally unlike many other games, but the sluggish handling is due to the vehicles being serverside physics objects. What this means is that everyone sees the cars performing exactly the same way, which is something very few games do. This means every bump, every flip, every jump and every drift displays the same for everyone so people with laggy connections don't have teleporting cars, physics don't freak out at a moment's notice for one player but not the next and entire districts have cars placed exactly the same for everyone else.

So yeah, initially the cars feel sluggish and strange, but driving them is also a core skill that all players have to learn. There's no winning in car chases because your car decided it didn't exist for a few laggy seconds, and driving too dangerously could mean all the difference between winning a mission or losing valuable time while you desperately search for another vehicle after you flip your current one. To my knowledge, no other game makes sure that all the vehicles in the game behave exactly the same for everyone else, and that's something I've always respected in APB.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Songbearer said:

Another thing very few articles critical of APB don't seem to look too deeply into is why the car handling is the way it is. I'll agree that like a lot of mechanics in APB it's totally unlike many other games, but the sluggish handling is due to the vehicles being serverside physics objects. 

i also like that this is how it is, but i can't help but always think that if they at least made the vehicles feel appealing to drive, speedy at least, people would probably keep playing more. when i first got into the game driving felt so tedious and was one my biggest criticisms.

33 minutes ago, LilyV3 said:

GTA cannot deliver the customization and their PVP is by how weapons and cars work derp

all true.. gtapvp has developed into a big joke though. it's mostly about using the interaction menu, ceo/mc abilities, pegasus vehicles, special vehicles (oppressor and deluxo were clearly intended as balanced vehicles) and the basis of a good player is mostly a first person heavy sniper. Hardly a skill based game more whoever has memorized the M menu interactions more, and who has 2 billion dollars to afford a garage of oppressors in its current state. Can't even get into the movement in the game, it's basically just bad for a shooter.

i'd rather deal with the yukons and hvrs being the most clear outliers in the balance scheme than people who can call an infinite supply of flying rocket bikes or similar, gta as a pvp game is far too random to even be taken seriously really. APB's gunplay and movement is more direct than gta can provide.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Songbearer said:

Another thing very few articles critical of APB don't seem to look too deeply into is why the car handling is the way it is. I'll agree that like a lot of mechanics in APB it's totally unlike many other games, but the sluggish handling is due to the vehicles being serverside physics objects. What this means is that everyone sees the cars performing exactly the same way, which is something very few games do. This means every bump, every flip, every jump and every drift displays the same for everyone so people with laggy connections don't have teleporting cars, physics don't freak out at a moment's notice for one player but not the next and entire districts have cars placed exactly the same for everyone else.

So yeah, initially the cars feel sluggish and strange, but driving them is also a core skill that all players have to learn. There's no winning in car chases because your car decided it didn't exist for a few laggy seconds, and driving too dangerously could mean all the difference between winning a mission or losing valuable time while you desperately search for another vehicle after you flip your current one. To my knowledge, no other game makes sure that all the vehicles in the game behave exactly the same for everyone else, and that's something I've always respected in APB.

and it's still better than this GTA like Crap of arcadish Bumpercars, sure in some cases APB's physiocs behaves a bit .. .  strange. but overall the crahs bump, see me flying all over the terrain stuff of GTA is not here and thats good. And ontop lets not talk about explosive onyl destructible stuff *cough*Kuruma*cough*

10 hours ago, BXNNXD said:

i really enjoy the way this "journalist" interviews players and then immediately contradicts anything positive they say about the game in the next line, some real a-grade process happening there

on the bright side our resident forumer szambi is now famous - dont forget about us peasants when you're getting a star on hollywood blvd

My old buddy szambi is famous! 

Edited by Kino
Typo correction

Wow, Way to just disregard what the people who actually have experience with the game say. 

"The gunplay is good"  "It's crap"

"The game is an unpolished diamond"  "It's not"

"The customization is amazing"  "I don't care"

And then basically calling it a shittier GTAO, and disregarding the negatives that APB players give about GTA by pretty much saying "as expected of an APB player"

Like, the controls are an actual problem in GTA.  I've always said that APB vs GTA is like Quake vs QWOP.

Plus complaining about APB's menus but being totally ok with GTA's is just... What?  I'll admit APB's menus are laggy but at least their layout actually makes sense.

How do people like this even get jobs at game journalism companies?

Edited by BrandonBranderson
  • Like 1

I did not even bother reading the article after I saw he was still wearing starter clothing and clearly had not played the game for more than a few hours at best. This is exactly why I do not give those gaming websites an ounce of my time. It is just another article for the sake of putting out another article. No real substance behind it.

Pretty much agree with everyone apart from whoever said we should re-set everything and start afresh.

Do you have any idea how long people have spent on customisations in this game? Any event I put on is funded by clothing designs that I have long forgotten how to reproduce lol.

Reset my rank but please don't take my clothes!

I can't help but think if the game originally had things like bullet delay/drop and better handling cars, journalists would have been much nicer when RTW APB originally came out. I've since gotten used to both of these things though so don't mind them although a little extra car speed would be nice.

Everything LO have said they would do sounds great.

GTAV whilst a great game is so clunky. When i press left I want to go left, not go right in a big circle to go left like The Titanic.

Edited by WitchQueen
Stupid samsung predictive messing everything up and making me post too soon.

3 hours ago, Rumple said:

Well he is no longer 1 mile from your front door.

well there you go.. thanks for letting me know 🙂

5 minutes ago, speee said:

I did not even bother reading the article after I saw he was still wearing starter clothing and clearly had not played the game for more than a few hours at best. This is exactly why I do not give those gaming websites an ounce of my time. It is just another article for the sake of putting out another article. No real substance behind it.

Pretty much.

I loved this person's response in the comments:

Wardfobia says:

I’ve made an account specifically to respond to this post. The most important thing that you should have been told or should have known before playing this game is that this game essentially came out in 2009 because that was when Realtime Worlds first launched it. Since then it’s been practically the same exact game with no cosmetic or underlying code changes. So comparing something that was released in 2009 compared to something like GTA V that came out in 2013 and has a massive team of support and millions of players also supporting more and more content updates is a little unfair. I understand everyone’s desire to compare APB and GTA but they’re just simply not comparable, sure they’re both over-the-shoulder TPS games with cops and cars but that’s the only similarity they have.

If you were to put some real time into playing APB you will understand why the comparison is just so unneeded and unfair. There is not a single game I can think of that is even remotely similar to what APB is, even omitting the massive customization features which CANNOT be overlooked. It’s understandable having no desire in changing the way you character looks in games in general, but when you’re talking about a game where one of the biggest points of launching the game is the extremely vast customization tool you simply cannot ignore it. I’ve seen countless cosplay and absolutely stunning recreations of real life vehicles and some truly amazing creations of art through a dying F2P game with a garbage development team run by hyperbolic company, ‘GamersFirst’. Albeit the gunplay isn’t anything fantastic, it CERTAINLY is not something to compare to a title like Battlefield, I won’t even mention Destiny because I have personal gripes with that game that are not relevant to this discussion. Battlefield is a WELL seasoned title with hundreds of millions of unique players and billions of dollars at their disposal, not to even mention it’s a COMPLETELY different game in every single sense you could possible imagine, although I do suppose Battlefield: Hardline had cops and robbers and cars and guns so they’re comparable, eh?

I don’t mean to seem like I’m just bashing the article because it disagrees with my opinion but there is so much information that was looked over, or simply not even seen and made aware of that truly makes me feel like you have missed out on a fantastic game and amazing experiences. I’ve been playing this game since 2012 and have been intermittently playing and the game has never really changed over the years, the only updates we’ve ever seen are lame attempts of content and, in fact a server DOWNGRADE. The servers used to be 50 enforcers 50 criminals totally 100 players per server but now we’re at 40/40. Not to mention when they put a soft lock on the districts which pretty much exclusively punished any gold players from playing the game. Honestly learning why people still play this game did not require you to download and try it out for yourself, or even to interview current players, our reason is as any reason for anyone doing something that seems worse in comparison to whatever would be better.

If you truly want to know why we still play this game, actually put time into, actually play the game, actually enjoy all the facets of APB that make it one of the only games I’ve had to pleasure of playing and calling a true unpolished diamond.

Added in paragraphs so it's not so cancer to read, but it is a great comment.

• Like 1

If this 'article' is worth anything, it's that it shows how hard it is for the average new player to see the potential there is in this game. I think the new player experience needs to be improved to keep players, whether it be a better tutorial, etc.

48 minutes ago, speee said:

I gave it a read, but this was the first thing I thought when I saw the pictures

"Oh here we fucking go again, another 'journalist' who failed doing actual journalism talking about 'games' that he/she has no knowledge on, and can barely even use a mouse and keyboard to save their life."

I ranted about this for around an hour on APB Discord when someone brought it up. At this point games journalism at a whole is a complete and absolute joke. There is SO SO much wrong with this article in general, that it would take me way too long to type it all out. But I won't bother, i've already done that once before.

Basically, this guy hoped onto a game that has possibility of having good profit, since it just got acquired. Played it for as little as he could so he could write up some bullshoot, used his 'knowledge' on video games to make assumptions, then interviewed random people he could find, with no warning, and the people he interviewed gave meh answers, and then he shit on their answers for 'controversy' or to 'get his point across' 

sad really.

14 hours ago, BXNNXD said:

i really enjoy the way this "journalist" interviews players and then immediately contradicts anything positive they say about the game in the next line, some real a-grade process happening there

on the bright side our resident forumer szambi is now famous - dont forget about us peasants when you're getting a star on hollywood blvd

Because theyre journalists, it doesnt matter if theyre real or game journalists, theyre all liberal babies.

The shiny bronze icon lets you know what's up :^)

5 hours ago, Songbearer said:

As someone who plays a lot of racing sims, I can tell you that teleporting cars is just horrible and for the purpose they serve in game, APB actually does something right by putting them server side.

Actually even a high, but otherwise stable and consistent ping cos you're playing on a US server from Europe often gives you 'netcode' contacts where the cars 'collide' despite both players seeing clear daylight between them. Especially in faster categories. Now, imagine instead of car v car, car v squishy player and you kill them even though you miss by 3 meters. There are enough deaths due to barest side-swipes as is.

• Like 1

I read it this morning and all I see is the opinion of most other newbies to APB in the past 2-3 years. He hasn't spent enough time with the game to even have the right to write such an article, he doesn't understand the idea of the game and where it's charm really is. He complains about the driving and shooting mechanics because he comes from newer games like Battlefield and GTA Online and the point of APB completely flies over his head. The fact that he hasn't even tried the customization which is like 50% of the game because he "doesn't care" about what his character looks like, is just laughable for a reviewer who takes themselves seriously. He downloaded it, had a bad 1-2 hours experience and wrote this article, making it look like a game that's not worth trying out.

2 hours ago, Fur said:

I gave it a read, but this was the first thing I thought when I saw the pictures

"Oh here we fucking go again, another 'journalist' who failed doing actual journalism talking about 'games' that he/she has no knowledge on, and can barely even use a mouse and keyboard to save their life."

I ranted about this for around an hour on APB Discord when someone brought it up. At this point games journalism at a whole is a complete and absolute joke. There is SO SO much wrong with this article in general, that it would take me way too long to type it all out. But I won't bother, i've already done that once before.

Basically, this guy hoped onto a game that has possibility of having good profit, since it just got acquired. Played it for as little as he could so he could write up some bullshoot, used his 'knowledge' on video games to make assumptions, then interviewed random people he could find, with no warning, and the people he interviewed gave meh answers, and then he shit on their answers for 'controversy' or to 'get his point across' 

sad really.

The articles on Metal Gear Survive were the same. People barely got 30 minutes into the game, and bashed it to high heaven.

On 5/31/2018 at 7:39 AM, Panicbutton said:

I have been amazed the last few days on the forums of people who are still avidly playing this game and been opposed to some of my suggestions to wipe everything clean and start fresh.  Why on earth anyone would stick with this game this long is beyond me. 

The amount of sheer time invested is plenty of reason alone to not wipe. Also wiping wouldn't do anything to solve the problems with APB. You can spin up of a fresh character stomp golds immediately.

On 5/31/2018 at 12:51 PM, Fur said:

sad really.

Very sad, but that's all journalism these days apparently. Game journalists were some of the first & worst though.

On 5/31/2018 at 12:12 PM, Evagelyne said:

Pretty much.

I loved this person's response in the comments:

Added in paragraphs so it's not so cancer to read, but it is a great comment.

It's a great response, thanks for sharing it & making it readable. 🙂

• Like 1

I remember I was disappointed with the customization because when I made my first char, I thought I could customize his beard. Cut from here, shape there. Same thing with the hair. But nope, all male chars with beards look the same. I know people say customization is amazing and blah blah but thats the only area I cared about and didnt get it. 

• Like 1

On 5/31/2018 at 8:22 AM, AbuMohammad said:

As for me, APB is a game with a best clothing designer ever made. I spend most of my time in social, chatting or making something new

That's completely valid. One thing about APB is even though you can clearly draw a line between people who only care about the customization and the people who only care about the 3PS, these people happily coexist in one community w/o issue and blend together perfectly. I am garbage at customization, I always try my hand when I am bored, but mostly I just buy designs from better people and go off to shoot people to fund more purchases which fuels more creatives.