MattScott

Updates on APB development progress

6 hours ago, BXNNXD said:

have you never had a hobby you were super interested in?

You sound like you are being ruled by the matriarchy, soyboy.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BXNNXD said:

have you never had a hobby you were super interested in?

Yes I do have one, making money. Loads of it.

41 minutes ago, AsgerLund said:

You sound like you are being ruled by the matriarchy, soyboy.

+1

Edited by ch4ncer

9 hours ago, ch4ncer said:

I guess you got nothing else going on huh ? Waiting so eagerly for something in a game.

Ouch, that almost managed to hurt my feelings.

1 hour ago, Nickolai said:

Ouch, that almost managed to hurt my feelings.

Atleast you're honest.

Wish you the best of luck, cant wait to see the final version ^^
also thanks for not leaving us in the dark, nice knowing how far you guys have gotten.

On 11/21/2018 at 5:48 AM, MattScott said:

At this point, we have finished rebuilding the music editor and all but one of the external libraries are upgraded. After that we know there are several graphical issues, and some frame rate issues we need to address.

How future-proof would you consider the engine-upgrade? Is it at all reasonable to expect a stable and smooth experience or will APB's situation in UE3.5 be a similar hackjob as the original creation?

Reloaded Productions talked a lot about the upgrade making things better all around, but considering how long it has been underway and how many issues seemingly will persist even then, it seems to me like another major headache.

4 hours ago, Revoluzzer said:

How future-proof would you consider the engine-upgrade? Is it at all reasonable to expect a stable and smooth experience or will APB's situation in UE3.5 be a similar hackjob as the original creation?

Reloaded Productions talked a lot about the upgrade making things better all around, but considering how long it has been underway and how many issues seemingly will persist even then, it seems to me like another major headache.

I would not describe what we are doing as "future-proof". A large portion of the code will be exactly what is running under Unreal 3.0.

The goal is make the game better, but also to consolidate the codebase so we can upgrade everything again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I'd love to be on the SPCT but I suck too much for it (I'm only silver) so I would only be in the way

So instead I'll be doing something sacrilegious and putting pineapple on pizza (AsgerLund hates that lol)

1 hour ago, MattScott said:

I would not describe what we are doing as "future-proof". A large portion of the code will be exactly what is running under Unreal 3.0.

The goal is make the game better, but also to consolidate the codebase so we can upgrade everything again.

In other words only a slightly performance boost in the best case?

8 hours ago, Halelulia said:

In other words only a slightly performance boost in the best case?

I think, he meant, the code that were exclusively made for apb by original developers such as customization or music studio etc. will be stay the same but others will be changed. We gonna see a huge perfomance boost due to supporting multi threading and other optimization things if it will be done properly

Edited by Lign

13 hours ago, Fortune Runner said:

I'd love to be on the SPCT but I suck too much for it (I'm only silver) so I would only be in the way

So instead I'll be doing something sacrilegious and putting pineapple on pizza (AsgerLund hates that lol)

I would say the odds are not stacked against you :). Doubt any good player got picked for testing anyways, Probably just people who are active on the forum a lot.

14 hours ago, MattScott said:

Do you plan on doing anything to advertise the game further when the upgrade is complete? 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, iRawwwN said:

Do you plan on doing anything to advertise the game further when the upgrade is complete? 

I am interested in hearing about this as well.

1 hour ago, Nev said:

I would say the odds are not stacked against you :). Doubt any good player got picked for testing anyways, Probably just people who are active on the forum a lot.

Good players have been picked before. Testing does not require the best players to work however. If you have a mixed skill group you can use the various play styles to get a good balance of how things work and find game breaking bugs. I still have my SPCT skin in-game too :D.

Edited by Snipey
  • Like 1

Hello that's a bit out of topic ( i really shing you guys should open a devlopper Q&A topic ) but i wanted to ask about the second car that was supposed to come after the IO:GROWL

https://apbreloaded.gamersfirst.com/2015/07/as-we-head-into-august-with-apb.html

on this post we could see"on of the two new san paro manufacturers" car and if i remember correctly there was older blogpost also mentioning it  .

Was the model / designing of the car done , and can we expect it anytime soon ?

Edited by Ketog
wrong link

GL on your 2019 roadmap Little Orbit, see you when the game will receive new content (Q1 2014 btw)

thank you for the amazing update matt, godspeed and good luck, we're here with ya until the end

On 11/24/2018 at 1:06 AM, MattScott said:

That perpetual upgrading of things is essentially what has been holding this game back ever since, I'd say. By the time the code is mature enough to allow further development of the actual game it might not even be economically viable.

Have you ever considered taking the lore, art and assets and rebuilding the game to a more modern standard instead of trying to upgrade the existing thing? I feel like in the years that have been spent taking very small steps, this one big leap could've been done instead. Gamersfirst at a time had a similar idea with APB: Vendetta, although I think their goal to transition into a different gameplay-genre was flawed.

What I'm trying to say, really, is that all the mechanics which make APB what it is seem to be comparably easy to achieve in modern game engines. With the added benefit of better compatibility to modern hardware.

2 hours ago, Revoluzzer said:

That perpetual upgrading of things is essentially what has been holding this game back ever since, I'd say. By the time the code is mature enough to allow further development of the actual game it might not even be economically viable. 

Have you ever considered taking the lore, art and assets and rebuilding the game to a more modern standard instead of trying to upgrade the existing thing? I feel like in the years that have been spent taking very small steps, this one big leap could've been done instead. Gamersfirst at a time had a similar idea with APB: Vendetta, although I think their goal to transition into a different gameplay-genre was flawed.

What I'm trying to say, really, is that all the mechanics which make APB what it is seem to be comparably easy to achieve in modern game engines. With the added benefit of better compatibility to modern hardware.

This is something I've thought about. By the time APB reaches UE3.5 it will be around a decade old - how long will it take to push it through to the next iteration? I feel like APB as a whole will never achieve the popularity that in my opinion it deserves without it being given a clean start and a fresh look. I'm truly appreciative of Little Orbit just for believing in this project as it's certainly not something I thought I would ever see, but I would also love to know if there will ever be a day where APB could be a franchise and not just a game.

2 hours ago, Revoluzzer said:

Vendetta was never supposed to be a successor to APB, it was a spinoff.

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:33 AM, iRawwwN said:

Yes.

5 hours ago, Revoluzzer said:

Have you ever considered taking the lore, art and assets and rebuilding the game to a more modern standard instead of trying to upgrade the existing thing?

Yes. But we made the call to focus on 3.5 since it was a much faster timeline. More on this in the future.

3 hours ago, Lord Cashpoint said:

I would also love to know if there will ever be a day where APB could be a franchise and not just a game.

Yes. But we need to "walk before we run". More on this in the future.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, heliokopter said:

Have you been thinking about adding more ranks??

there are more ranks ingame but no ideas of new contacts so it stay untouched its kile 320 Rank is max ? i see in files that 290-something is already

but there is this innova admin player who has like 300+rank xD

@MattScott Hey, any plans on doing official API of any kind?

• Like 3

Do you guys have ANY plans on improving the clan system as a whole?

Territories, sprays (instead of default enf/crim spray on mission it should be your clan logo), Clan ranks, Coffers, a Distribution system for clan clothes/cars/symbols ect?