Tigrix

📢 2 cents about players and GM recruitment 👀

56 minutes ago, LuzExtinguido said:

Look our cm, already threatening openly with warnings after how many days of the new forums? Imagine 6 months later.

Then we would have GM Squads running all over the game, no thanks.

Idk if you're being sarcastic 😛 but if you aren't, then whats the problem in giving warnings?

I shouldn't have double posted if this was already covered or locked. I wanted to point out to the skeptics that it doesn't take a triple A company to maintain a great staff, but its fair to have reservations when keeping in mind how G1 (the former one) managed. Though imo there are F2P games running with excellent volunteer staff and this was just an example.
Sorry @Lixil no harm in locking if the discussion is elsewhere belonging.

Edited by Tigrix
  • Like 1

she hasnt even formally opened applications yet afaik, cant people be patient and wait for that

1 minute ago, BXNNXD said:

she hasnt even formally opened applications yet afaik, cant people be patient and wait for that

it's a gold rush my dude. omegalul

5 minutes ago, Thial said:

it's a gold rush my dude. omegalul

Yep. Everyone wants to get a pretty nice slice of the dough.

44 minutes ago, Westford said:

Yes, I believe I can...

Why you ask....

Welp, I will admit I am a somewhat older Gamer.

Back in the day... I played the "Elitist" Card as it were.

Nowadays.... I like to chill, a bit of good 'ole competitive shooting, and talk to younger folks.... get their perspective, and perhaps share mine.

Who knows, stranger things have happened.

EDIT:

Bottom line.

It's about a fun positive gaming experience....

That's what everyone wants.

But... if there are players in game who's idea of fun, is to disrupt other players gaming experience in order to have fun,

well, they need to find other activities ..cause ..... well... It's disruptive...

LMAO this is madness.

How can you spot cheaters (i know you could no take action but report) if you are silver!!!

--

For mod, yes i know you can read this. Do you really think this is the only media to talk about apb? I will spread our new CM attitude everywhere. And the madness of adding gm squads to the game. You just want to repeat the same story but in the game, INSANE.

14 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

I think she is joking.

Edited by LAPDAlonso

13 minutes ago, LuzExtinguido said:

LMAO this is madness.

How can you spot cheaters (i know you could no take action but report) if you are silver!!!

I doubt they intend on GM's doing cheater reports or banning (as they already said, GM's cant ban)
I'm sure they are going to leave all those tasks to BattlEye and FF, as it should be.

13 minutes ago, LAPDAlonso said:

I think she is joking.

27 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

Welcome to APB, the community that discussed and had strong opinions about the proposed engine upgrade announced in 2013 and yet to arrive.... 😜 

1 hour ago, Lixil said:

Also can we please, please stop opening double/triple threads? I really don't want to be forced to warn people for this. 

That being said I will leave this open for now.

I wanted to know, how many warnings before a temp or perma ban? Do warnings expire with time?

3 minutes ago, killerskull said:

I wanted to know, how many warnings before a temp or perma ban? Do warnings expire with time?

I was hoping the warnings would show for other users so people would see how cool I am.

Edit: Ignore poopdragon, he is an imposter after my apb rep.

Edited by Puffdragon

35 minutes ago, LuzExtinguido said:

LMAO this is madness.

--

For mod, yes i know you can read this. Do you really think this is the only media to talk about apb? I will spread our new CM attitude everywhere. And the madness of adding gm squads to the game. You just want to repeat the same story but in the game, INSANE.

Hmm,,,, you believe that a GM's role is to spot cheaters....

Not true.

A gamemaster (GM; also known as game master, game manager, game moderator or referee) is a person who acts as an organizer, officiant for questions regarding rules, arbitrator, and moderator for a multiplayer role-playing game.[1][2] They are more common in co-operative games in which players work together than in competitive games in which players oppose each other

Let the anti-cheat software resolve that issue..

I threw myself out there as an example ... welcome to the chaos....

2 minutes ago, Westford said:

Not true.

A gamemaster (GM; also known as game master, game manager, game moderator or referee) is a person who acts as an organizer, officiant for questions regarding rules, arbitrator, and moderator for a multiplayer role-playing game.[1][2] They are more common in co-operative games in which players work together than in competitive games in which players oppose each other

Lol wtf, what would you moderate? That a gold killed many silvers 😜

6 minutes ago, LuzExtinguido said:

Lol wtf, what would you moderate? That a gold killed many silvers 😜

Sorry, not sure I understand the question.

1 minute ago, Westford said:

Sorry, not sure I understand the question.

There is NOTHING to moderate more than cheaters, closeters... probably one or another symbol with exotic bits.

And probably characters with transparencys and -i wish if apb is uncensored once again- excessive bits on characters.

We need to deploy 8 GM's.. 8 GM's Now!

I'majuuustjoooking 😛

before this thread gets locked..

Edited by EightPower

Honestly, a system where community members assist rearing the community can be nice, but maybe don't give them the "GM" title. Just give the a new thing like "Community Support" or whatever. The main focus should be answering questions & growing the community not mediating it.

On 5/31/2018 at 2:31 AM, Tigrix said:

2(thousand) cents about players and GM recruitment. (long msg, so TLDR: idk... tis' too long to shorten :classic_huh:)

A lot of people feel apprehensive by the idea of recruiting GM's among players (without prior experiences, i'd probably be counted among them), 
but that's why I wanted to shed some experience on the matter.

A long time ago in a galaxy blah blah....I used to run a F2P game that had similar number of online players as APB in better days, over a thousand often with a peak of 2500.

We started out only myself and 1 other admin, so we quickly realized we would need help and fast.
We had email support similar as LO and ontop of that we had an in-game query system similar to those familiar with world of warcraft, where you petitioned to talk with staff and
a GM would respond your queries and have a 1on1 chat about your problem. The game ran for almost 10 years, solely based on a F2P model, while being maintained by donations alone,
in which you could only get in-game cosmetics in return. All our staff was volunteer, including programmers, website admin, moderators etc etc and all recruited from the player-base,
by two students, with no prior experience in recruitment or let alone how to run a game server with thousands of people relying on you keeping their things safe and servers up.

In that decade we obviously went through a number of GMs and yes we definitely had our share of bad apples to filter out during screening interviews, 
yet it was really a rare situation having to warn a GM for inappropriate behavior. In our whole time we fired 2-3 GM's for minor things and one for a severe attempt at scamming.
A lot of people, when given some tasks and a certain amount of trust, will actually live up to it and are able to place themselves above in-game rivalries and in a rare case that someone
couldn't, we had the tools to spot it.
I'm certain APB has ranks among staff (I mean programmed ranks, not just a title) and countless ways to maintain staff integrity within APB and the unreal engine, especially while having a team of dedicated admins.. We had it where any higher staff, i.e. admins & a lead GM could always see what any GM was up to, and we always ensured one admin was online, i.e. taking shifts as necessary. Aside from being able to "spy" on any actions and movements of your GM's, we had a bunch of auto-security. I.e. coded alerts that would pop-off only for admins, showing certain command warnings if a GM had attempted using it, or if a GM was following the same player for extended time or bringing up a players logs without being on a query response with that player and full logs of every single move/action if ever needed to look at a GM under a microscope.

I understand it is a big concern to imagine that players who might dislike or rival each-other in the game, could potentially be the GM you just thanked for helping you out...
But I do trust that LO has the means of overseeing their GM's and will take advantage of it, far better than the old management ever did. If a couple of students could do that,
I really don't see a problem in LO choosing that route, do you? LO so far seem very on top of things and very hands-on.

Finally, if the choice falls between seeing a lot of active staff and a few active admins to monitor and manage this staff 
versus few active staff with one very active admin (you know who);
Well, take a look back at these last 3 years. How often did you see a GM? let alone see them interact? imho because they insisted on having a small number of in-house GM's
who received a paycheck, which they less and less was willing, if even able to afford.

It's a lot of resources paying GM's for a job that could be done by volunteers (under the right management). <-- KEYWORD. :classic_ninja:
Those resources are arguably far better spent on engine development, patching new content and protection against cheats, ddos and other game-breaking things.

imHo.

I understand that you may have experience in this line of work and to be honest i would have nothing against you being a GM,but however the in-game experience you provide along with with the fact that you guys i mean Kitty aswell provide such a toxic environment sometimes,i sincerely think,providing  you with such authority might be damaging in the long run.Plus the fact that every player that manages to beat your ways of gaming or managing to defeat you is considered a cheater (more or less) doesn't really inspire me a lot of trust in your way of handling things as a game moderator wich has a lot of power over other players.I am not saying that you are a toxic person or that you might not be eligible for the role,all i am saying however is that till now you didn't really inspire much trust in players and right now i consider recommending you for a higher function than a player could be a mistake since from what i saw in various districts you are way to subjective.i am sorry if i sound mean in any way,that is not my intention.

However,something like a SPCM might be more applicable for you.This in just my opinion,it doesn't count for anything and it has no relevance in what so ever,i just felt like saying it

Edited by dontbanmebr0
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Westford said:

Not true.

nobodiy wrote gms must ban?? g1 said no they cant!
why r peopel not read main post?? :classic_huh: or can read lixil post!!! stick for the topic??
topic is not how is private feelings for eachother u think g1 care??? is do u think yes or no if g1 pay more gms or admin train free gms why is good or why is bad

Edited by Ldy_Natalia

12 hours ago, Maverick13 said:

Thank you for the info and heads up Lixil. :v

so far these limitations seem to be fine, sometimes I wish we had a GM's online to just stop some people trash talking

BUT

This very special community has shown much dedication by its dark sided members to target every somewhat proper member. So any person being an GM and this being visible would definately target these players with too much hate.

So if you want this System to work, these people would need to kinda stay incognito. basically like maybe having a seperate chatwindow they enter stuff and when they do appear under an entirely different name.

The best moderator the Forum probably had was gotitdone, but some people (a lot actually) got pissy, because he DID enforce the rules and then they crouded together made enough trouble to make G1 decide to unmod him. Something similar will mostlikely happen to the GM's ingame as well if they can't stay incognito. Please LO do not underestimate the hate and salt of the dark side of this community. It's very strong.

Edited by LilyV3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LilyV3 said:

so far these limitations seem to be fine, sometimes I wish we had a GM's online to just stop some people trash talking

BUT

This very special community has shown much dedication by its dark sided members to target every somewhat proper member. So any person being an GM and this being visible would definately target these players with too much hate.

So if you want this System to work, these people would need to kinda stay incognito. basically like maybe having a seperate chatwindow they enter stuff and when they do appear under an entirely different name.

The best moderator the Forum probably had was gotitdone, but some people (a lot actually) got pissy, because he DID enforce the rules and then they crouded together made enough trouble to make G1 decide to unmod him. Something similar will mostlikely happen to the GM's ingame as well if they can't stay incognito. Please LO do not underestimate the hate and salt of the dark side of this community. It's very strong.

I cant remember well how it was, but i remember one of them telling me that he left because of the mod squads and something related to tiggs that i cant remember.

For a position like this, regardless of name, would probably have better results through nominations from other players.

I'm no expert on this kind of thing. The only I ever did volunteer-wise for APB was be a part of the first SPCT team. All we ever did was test patches before release. No monitoring or anything like that.

Like I said though, I feel like being a known and respected player is better for this position than being someone who no one knows.

Again, it's just my opinion.

On 5/31/2018 at 12:31 AM, Tigrix said:

2(thousand) cents about players and GM recruitment. (long msg, so TLDR: idk... tis' too long to shorten :classic_huh:)

A lot of people feel apprehensive by the idea of recruiting GM's among players (without prior experiences, i'd probably be counted among them), 
but that's why I wanted to shed some experience on the matter.

A long time ago in a galaxy blah blah....I used to run a F2P game that had similar number of online players as APB in better days, over a thousand often with a peak of 2500.

We started out only myself and 1 other admin, so we quickly realized we would need help and fast.
We had email support similar as LO and ontop of that we had an in-game query system similar to those familiar with world of warcraft, where you petitioned to talk with staff and
a GM would respond your queries and have a 1on1 chat about your problem. The game ran for almost 10 years, solely based on a F2P model, while being maintained by donations alone,
in which you could only get in-game cosmetics in return. All our staff was volunteer, including programmers, website admin, moderators etc etc and all recruited from the player-base,
by two students, with no prior experience in recruitment or let alone how to run a game server with thousands of people relying on you keeping their things safe and servers up.

In that decade we obviously went through a number of GMs and yes we definitely had our share of bad apples to filter out during screening interviews, 
yet it was really a rare situation having to warn a GM for inappropriate behavior. In our whole time we fired 2-3 GM's for minor things and one for a severe attempt at scamming.
A lot of people, when given some tasks and a certain amount of trust, will actually live up to it and are able to place themselves above in-game rivalries and in a rare case that someone
couldn't, we had the tools to spot it.
I'm certain APB has ranks among staff (I mean programmed ranks, not just a title) and countless ways to maintain staff integrity within APB and the unreal engine, especially while having a team of dedicated admins.. We had it where any higher staff, i.e. admins & a lead GM could always see what any GM was up to, and we always ensured one admin was online, i.e. taking shifts as necessary. Aside from being able to "spy" on any actions and movements of your GM's, we had a bunch of auto-security. I.e. coded alerts that would pop-off only for admins, showing certain command warnings if a GM had attempted using it, or if a GM was following the same player for extended time or bringing up a players logs without being on a query response with that player and full logs of every single move/action if ever needed to look at a GM under a microscope.

I understand it is a big concern to imagine that players who might dislike or rival each-other in the game, could potentially be the GM you just thanked for helping you out...
But I do trust that LO has the means of overseeing their GM's and will take advantage of it, far better than the old management ever did. If a couple of students could do that,
I really don't see a problem in LO choosing that route, do you? LO so far seem very on top of things and very hands-on.

Finally, if the choice falls between seeing a lot of active staff and a few active admins to monitor and manage this staff 
versus few active staff with one very active admin (you know who);
Well, take a look back at these last 3 years. How often did you see a GM? let alone see them interact? imho because they insisted on having a small number of in-house GM's
who received a paycheck, which they less and less was willing, if even able to afford.

It's a lot of resources paying GM's for a job that could be done by volunteers (under the right management). <-- KEYWORD. :classic_ninja:
Those resources are arguably far better spent on engine development, patching new content and protection against cheats, ddos and other game-breaking things.

imHo.

Cancer starts from this LOL GM players always a bad move ... patootie licking incoming 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PvtXXXXX said:

Cancer starts from this LOL GM players always a bad move ... patootie licking incoming 

It was both on Innova and Hoplon and in both cases didn't end very well.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BartMcRoy said:

Like I said though, I feel like being a known and respected player is better for this position than being someone who no one knows.

Again, it's just my opinion.

Although I have been playing this game since 2011  I doubt that I am very well known.

Plus, I have been a maxed rank Silver for years, so the assumption would be that I hackusate all those who kill me,

because that's what silvers do, or so I've been told.

These could potentially be two glaring red flags. :classic_blink:

I will formally rescind my application immediately after it has been submitted.

Edited by Westford