I don't really support free exclusive outfit items as APB has always been about customizing the crap out of what's available to us. It's not really the item but what you do with it. Also super rare free outfit items makes even the most expensive Armas outfit stuff less valuable. Nah, create something 'exclusive' and never sell it. Hire someone skilled to create something 'exclusive'. That sort of thing. It's APB! Hey!

But, rare event 'skins' ... I kinda can get behind ... although, again, if free it's kinda salty to complain. I mean like, totally wanting to lock newer players out from ever getting that free skin seems weird to me.

What I like to see exclusive is 'titles'. Which server you came from. Which event you completed and when. That sort of stuff. Totally not about creativity, the reward or whatever, but still references to the past and what you did / earned and when.

That's just me though.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Jazeker said:

I don't really support free exclusive outfit items as APB has always been about customizing the crap out of what's available to us. It's not really the item but what you do with it. Also super rare free outfit items makes even the most expensive Armas outfit stuff less valuable. Nah, create something 'exclusive' and never sell it. Hire someone skilled to create something 'exclusive'. That sort of thing. It's APB! Hey!

But, rare event 'skins' ... I kinda can get behind ... although, again, if free it's kinda salty to complain. I mean like, totally wanting to lock newer players out from ever getting that free skin seems weird to me.

What I like to see exclusive is 'titles'. Which server you came from. Which event you completed and when. That sort of stuff. Totally not about creativity, the reward or whatever, but still references to the past and what you did / earned and when.

That's just me though.

let me just take a dump on your plate.

Can't complain, it's free food.

5 hours ago, MidnightQ said:

First off, I was complaining that they're making the skin not exclusive. Even if, as I suggested in the thread you linked, they changed the skin EVEN SLIGHTLY, I'd be pretty much fine with it, but giving the same skin is just dumb. Even Tiggs giving out the skin to random people, as dumb as that was, was at least a little more exclusive than this.

Second, what's with all the people stalking me this week?

1 hour ago, Jazeker said:

That's just me though.

I like the idea of titles as unique rewards, but like WoW you'll get players who will put the same value in those titles as some do with skins. Having a title over an outfit can be as meaningful to a player as a skin or headgear or symbol. It all boils down to what value the players are putting into these gifts. Some might be like "Hey this reward I got has been valued at 999G1C on ARMAs, guess I just saved money" but others might be like "Wow, I could have skipped all those tasks and just spat out 999G1C, now I feel worthless."

1 hour ago, Nitronik said:

This is actually worth thinking about it related to what I said above, if something is free than it is relatively worthless yeah? But then if players are willing to be strung along on a wild goose chase to earn that same worthless plate doesn't that put value behind said steaming pile on a plate?

2 minutes ago, KnifuWaifu said:

This is actually worth thinking about it related to what I said above, if something is free than it is relatively worthless yeah? But then if players are willing to be strung along on a wild goose chase to earn that same worthless plate doesn't that put value behind said steaming pile on a plate?

I'm pretty sure you just entirely reversed what Nitronik was saying by missing the fact that it was sarcasm.

Would you actually not complain if someone took a huge dump on a plate of free food they gave you? You probably would, so it was sarcasm. Just because you don't pay real world doesn't make something "worthless" even if it's "free," just like free food isn't worthless.

In the same way, saying it makes sense for G1 to give away an exclusive item again just because they didn't pay real world money for it is dumb.

Time to get executed for this opinion

Imo, if skins and titles were sellable/tradable with some of them originally being exclusive, but then getting changed to be tradable/marketable, I would fully justify where this reaction is coming from

Now obviously it sucks that something that was exclusive is now being made available again, but only ~100 of them are being given out (out of a total pop of ~1000) and even then, if we're truthfully being honest, you can guarantee that repeated winners will crop up, lower the actual individual players who get it

This doesn't really justify making an exclusive skin temporarily available to the public, but the last time this skin appeared was 2012. A fair share of the players from then who had the skin have probably left apb (they might have not. Who knows). Slightly bumping up the people who have it shouldn't hurt too much. The priority right now should be to draw in/retain players, and if this helps achieve that goal in the long run, I'm all for it (keyword if )

All in all, it's a dicey situation with complaints from both sides and no winners

Tl;Dr - don't make me CEO of a game. I'll get the players to hate me

2 minutes ago, Weeb TheEpicGuyV2 said:

Now obviously it sucks that something that was exclusive is now being made available again, but only ~100 of them are being given out (out of a total pop of ~1000) and even then, if we're truthfully being honest, you can guarantee that repeated winners will crop up, lower the actual individual players who get it

If it sucks then it should be avoided, period.

Plus your forgetting that it could very well be roughly 100 chances in each district.

3 minutes ago, Weeb TheEpicGuyV2 said:

. . . but the last time this skin appeared was 2012. A fair share of the players from then who had the skin have probably left apb (they might have not. Who knows). . .

How does that make it better? If anything that makes it worse because you're defacing something that's someone's way of remembering the 2012 and all of their friends who left since then.

7 minutes ago, Weeb TheEpicGuyV2 said:

Slightly bumping up the people who have it shouldn't hurt too much.

It doesn't matter if a single player gets it, it's the principle of the fact that it's destroying the meaning of the skin that matters. Exclusivity in cases like this isn't about numbers, it's about meaning.

8 minutes ago, Weeb TheEpicGuyV2 said:

The priority right now should be to draw in/retain players, and if this helps achieve that goal in the long run, I'm all for it (keyword if )

And how exactly does fucking over players who like their exclusive skin instead of adding a new skin draw in more players? I'm not clear on this point.

I don't even care, as I've said before, if it's a slightly modified version of the butcher skin, it just should not be the same exact skin.

P.S. for reference, for anyone who doesn't know, I don't have the butcher skin, just to make that clear.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nitronik said:

Sounds like your average LO white knighter mentality right there.

Yumm, poop!

I remember when I used to play WoW back in 2004-2006 I was so amazed when I saw someone wearing something super cool.

Edited by NotZombieBiscuit

11 hours ago, Kewlin said:

I'm pretty sure you just entirely reversed what Nitronik was saying by missing the fact that it was sarcasm.

Would you actually not complain if someone took a huge dump on a plate of free food they gave you? You probably would, so it was sarcasm. Just because you don't pay real world doesn't make something "worthless" even if it's "free," just like free food isn't worthless.

In the same way, saying it makes sense for G1 to give away an exclusive item again just because they didn't pay real world money for it is dumb.

They didn't put a /s how am I supposed to know these things?!?! /s

You're right though I should not have used the word "worthless". What I was meaning to say is that we attach our own value to rewards because they have no set value since they are "free". And the more effort put into the achievement or the exclusiveness of reward, the more value the item has so selling that item at a fixed cost changes the imagined value we attached to the reward. 

So with that in mind I can see how players with a Butcher skin would feel cheated if that skin was suddenly available again. 

1 hour ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

I remember when I used to play WoW back in 2004-2006 I was so amazed when I saw someone wearing something super cool.

It's thinking about WoW which gets me in support of making rare rewards more available. WoW is so full of little snowflake titles, items, pets, achievements, which is great - I sure felt special pulling out my Warbot pet during raids but on the other side I had a huntard friend who managed to snag a Slime as a pet but the silly person never used it, sure liked to brag about it, but never pulled it out. And now they don't play anymore that character and the rare pet are lost forever never to be used again and it's just sad WoW is full of those little snowflakes on abandoned characters. What's the point of cool stuff if no one around is going to use it?

Edited by KnifuWaifu

i'll just remain smug for a few more minutes over this salt thread

too bad we dont have a specific customizable skin for a gun  like other features of apb

That would be fun to make our own then as well

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:22 AM, BXNNXD said:

oh my god shut up about exclusivity

everything will be exclusive when you're the last active player on the servers

Spot on

19 hours ago, Defibrillator said:

Cbt vet title on armas- 999g1c only.

Key to the universe 30k G1C

People who are against re-releasing exclusive content:

"I really wish you wouldn't re-release this because it has certain denotations and connotations past its visual appearance and has a lot of nostalgia and memories attached to it, and I really think it would be better for everyone if you made a new skin or made a slightly modified version of the skin to give to players. That way there's even more content in APB and we get to keep our skin's meaning."

People who reply to people mentioned above:

"Stop whining; I want this to happen just to spite you."

• Like 1

I think it brings more people in when exclusive things become public for a future event. Im assuming 10% of the pop have the exclusive item. Now, after many years and the game being half dead, the pop is low. When u all of a sudden announce that this item is no longer exclusive, that 90% of the pop finally have motivation to log in and play again. Thats my take on it. Maybe 90% of the pop already has the exclusive item, is really exclusive if majority of the player base has it?

Then theres principle or whatever. Exclusive items should stay exclusive. But g1 already destroyed that once tight hole with the cross faction garbage. This game was unique as each side had their cool things. Now its all mixed and just a mess. I hope in the future something can be done. 

6 minutes ago, killerskull said:

I think it brings more people in when exclusive things become public for a future event. Im assuming 10% of the pop have the exclusive item. Now, after many years and the game being half dead, the pop is low. When u all of a sudden announce that this item is no longer exclusive, that 90% of the pop finally have motivation to log in and play again. Thats my take on it. Maybe 90% of the pop already has the exclusive item, is really exclusive if majority of the player base has it?

Then theres principle or whatever. Exclusive items should stay exclusive. But g1 already destroyed that once tight hole with the cross faction garbage. This game was unique as each side had their cool things. Now its all mixed and just a mess. I hope in the future something can be done. 

But does it bring players any more than a new item? I don't think so.

And just because one hole of exclusivity has been reamed wide doesn't mean every hole needs to be.

7 minutes ago, Kewlin said:

But does it bring players any more than a new item? I don't think so.

And just because one hole of exclusivity has been reamed wide doesn't mean every hole needs to be.

tbh I just dont think LO has the time to make new items and stuff. This is just a bandaid event/s to get us happy and engaged. Once they get the engine update out perhaps they can allocate some force towards releasing actual content.

4 hours ago, killerskull said:

tbh I just dont think LO has the time to make new items and stuff. This is just a bandaid event/s to get us happy and engaged. Once they get the engine update out perhaps they can allocate some force towards releasing actual content.

Get served bro, because now we're getting LEAVES!

autumn-assault-skin.jpg.00ae7099e355baa1

If I don't royally fuck-up at getting this skin I'm going to use the fuck out of it.

I don't think re-releasing exclusive stuff would do that much positive for APB's /pop. The majority of that 90% will just realize it's another poor attempt to mask the sadness with despacito music and tune out halfway through.

Still, plenty of modern and thriving games eventually make exclusive items public. It's a waste of content to make exclusive items permanently exclusive, and it only segregates the playerbase (the people that did get the item and want it to stay exclusive vs. the people that didn't have the chance to get the item but want it).

An official statement from LO would be nice on this. Eitherway thanks to G1's idea to keep exclusive content permanently exclusive, a very good share of the playerbase will be upset no matter what they say about it. Still, it'd be bad to leave this subject unanswered for much longer.

Edited by Haganu

1 minute ago, Haganu said:

I don't think re-releasing exclusive stuff would do that much positive for APB's /pop. The majority of that 90% will just realize it's another poor attempt to mask the sadness with despacito music and tune out halfway through.

Still, plenty of modern and thriving games eventually make exclusive items public. It's a waste of content to make exclusive items permanently exclusive, and it only segregates one part of the playerbase (the people that did get the item and want it to stay exclusive) from the other part (the people that didn't have the chance to get the item but want it).

An official statement from LO would be nice on this. Eitherway thanks to G1's idea to keep exclusive content permanently exclusive, a very good share of the playerbase will be upset no matter what they say about it.

First off, there aren't necessarily just two groups. Even as someone who doesn't have exclusive content I often want things to stay exclusive, the Butcher skin being an example. I just don't see the point of having it if I didn't get it correctly.

Second, LO has just now made two official statements on this. They'll be replacing the skin with the one in the image I posted above:

8 minutes ago, Kewlin said:

First off, there aren't necessarily just two groups. Even as someone who doesn't have exclusive content I often want things to stay exclusive, the Butcher skin being an example. I just don't see the point of having it if I didn't get it correctly.

Second, LO has just now made two official statements on this. They'll be replacing the skin with the one in the image I posted above:

You're one person, you're not the whole picture. If there are significantly more people with that view on things I'll have to see for myself before I start believing.

Glad that this subject hasn't gone unanswered though. Silence on a subject like this would only segregate the playerbase more.

Kind of a pity but then again I never felt much for the butcher skin. The dynamic event period APB had wasn't really... memorable...

Titles and skins also aren't a lot of wasted space I imagine, since skins are generated from a single bitmap (I wouldn't say single, but you get the point I guess).

Still, if it's significant content that's decent in file/package size, I wouldn't keep it exclusive forever.

Edited by Haganu