Gamma64c

Fresh install of APB Reloade still resutls in unusuable game

This is sad

I hadn't played the game since I moved over from win7 to 8.1pro.

In win7 all worked fine in APB, both the old reloaded and the newer LO versions. Until I tried the game in win8.1. All hell broke loose. The errors that I saw others reported came here also. Battle Eye ramming them with the famous "Client not responding error" while the game tries to load the districts while communicating with the servers.

Over here I tried a reinstall of the game over the old version. I even started the game through the launcer, no avail same error.

My most noted success came when I configged the shortcut of the APB exe to win7 compatibility mode. I was then able to load a social district with success and actually walk in there.

I will try the game in winxp SP3 compat mode to see if it then loads a district I can play in

But up to now I've been denied playing the event and can only watch streamers (who are few for APB) play the game, which is a sad, sad, but true fact for me... 😞

Edited by Gamma64c

Windows 10 is also garbage..the only good thing 4 me was the interface which looks more modern - everything else brings hell of a problems.Cant even install single thing without errors

Edited by TheMessiah

20 hours ago, TheMessiah said:

Windows 10 is also garbage..the only good thing 4 me was the interface which looks more modern - everything else brings hell of a problems.Cant even install single thing without errors

It sounds like you need to disable sppsvc - it's buggy as hell. Don't disable it though, just let it be, otherwise the system will complain about license validity of ms programs, incl your OS

Edited by Gamma64c

7 hours ago, JudgeAnderson said:

Shouldnt you post this in a bug section or post a ticket to little orbit?

I will do that also, however the social district has often given good feedback, so I tried it here 1st

23 hours ago, TheMessiah said:

I tried installing win10 back when it was still available for free it resulted in fps drops in many of the titles that i play and from what i hear it hasn't changed much with compatibility issues either now take in account problems like the recent data loss across the globe for anyone with win10 along with Microsoft's plan to make you pay to use win7 in the future once it stops supporting it

• Like 1

Have you tried like... not using windows 8.1?

And to those complaining about win 10 - should've done a clean install rather than "upgrading" and being left with a buggy combined edition.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GhosT said:

I needed win81 because of certain virtualization tasks I have to do in win64 ENV's, win7 is too mature for that OS level of support.

If it were up to me I would run win7 since no problems occur with the pesky sppsvc program which sucks CPU cycles for simple tasks (checking ms licences) Killing it results in bogus activation errors given on screen.

IIRC win7 EOL is also next year, so going to win8.1 would also be inevitable.

Up to now I can only successfully enter social districts BTW

12 hours ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

Did you try turning it off and on again

The machine has been restarted just a few hours ago. Lemme see if it helps

Edited by Gamma64c

5 hours ago, GhosT said:

Ghost, are you using win7?

I don't experience any issues on my W10 pc.

APB is an unusable game regardless if it installs correctly.

1 hour ago, Eisena said:

Does it run on your computer though?

5 hours ago, Gamma64c said:

Ghost, are you using win7?

No, what makes you think so?

10 of course.

I only had time to skim over the post but...

Setup a multi OS system. You can have win 7, win 8.1 and win 10 all installed on seperate partitions, it will come up with a selection menu on start up then you can use one operating system for your game programs and the other os for running other programs.

Me personally I run Win and Advanced Launcher and apb runs great.

I have an old i5 2500k cpu i over clocked to about 4.8Mhz (rivals modern i5's) with Nvidia 1070.

I wouldnt say the game is unstable, it is buggy but can run really well after doing some tweeks it. It is very cpu intensive and using an ssd drive can improve performance (less stutters) due to a lot of drive accessing.

What hardware are you running?

What stats you getting when you /fps

Any changes in internet access?

Also, go through all the old bug and tweek guides for apb, its a game that you need to do research to make it work well for your machine.

I've run the game on Windows 7 Home, Pro, and now Windows 10 Pro. I did an upgrade install, had no issues, but I've done a clean install since, and just used the Windows 7 Pro key on the 10 installation disk, still works fine. 

18 hours ago, K3ith said:

I tried installing win10 back when it was still available for free it resulted in fps drops in many of the titles that i play and from what i hear it hasn't changed much with compatibility issues either now take in account problems like the recent data loss across the globe for anyone with win10 along with Microsoft's plan to make you pay to use win7 in the future once it stops supporting it

Which, is why I've made the switch for my non-gaming machines to Linux and OS X/macOS. 

However, Windows 7 is still my favorite in terms of aesthetic. 

17 hours ago, Eisena said:

I don't experience any issues on my W10 pc.

same Win10

9 hours ago, JudgeAnderson said:

I only had time to skim over the post but...

Setup a multi OS system. You can have win 7, win 8.1 and win 10 all installed on seperate partitions,

Multi boot is done here only to linux, this machine is streaming almost 24/7 so that is not an option. It's also quite laboursome to set up the ENV I use to record audio and stream, so that alone would be a pain in the arse

What hardware are you running?

What stats you getting when you /fps

Any changes in internet access?

The hardware is a GTX1050 for 3D and desktop 0 and Ti750 for streaming and desktop1

An old AMD 4 core cpu / 16GB ram max on the board, harddrive interface filled (5 HDD's and a SSD)

On both my old internet  and new upgraded FTTC one  the game reacts the same.

I will do a uninstall then reinstall later on when I dont stream.

FPS stats are normal in social, I still haven't reached a game district

Also, go through all the old bug and tweek guides for apb, its a game that you need to do research to make it work well for your machine.

I did that a while ago, when I ran all the way up to win7 with no problems.

The only progress I've gotten thus far is the ability to get into social on both Nekrova and Jericho

Edited by Gamma64c

Works fine with Win7 here. If you can't downgrade from 10 to 7, how about running a win7 install in a virtualbox,vmware or hyperV environment instead?

A virtual machine is probably your easiest solution. These are all solutions you could instantly use to solve the problem instead of begging the LO support for 3 months just to realise it wont happen in your lifetime 😛

VirtualBox

Ask google

Use the Hypervisor (it's Microsofts replacement method for their Virtual PC, it should allow you to run Win7 with APB in Win10)

Edited by Ramihyn
clarification plus hyperv link

21 hours ago, Ramihyn said:

A virtual machine is probably your easiest solution. These are all solutions you could instantly use to solve the problem instead of begging the LO support for 3 months just to realise it wont happen in your lifetime 😛

Have you ever tried to run APB in a VM? On real hardware of which mine has an old board / cpu / ram combo it barely gives 30fps in *social* in this win8.1 pro install. THe mainboard has max ram (16GB) The game needs to run on the metal.

I have a GTX1050 as my main GPU and a Ti750 as my streaming GPU (which also has my 720p monitor)

21 hours ago, Ramihyn said:

I would not run win10 for myself due to the fact that it can delete your datafiles which you have linked to an external sync source.

Thank you for the suggestions & you maybe right regarding support response. I haven't sent in a ticket so I dont know how long it can take

i play game one win 10 too but in some day cant play and i want to create other char look this no ping just --- but i enter on exist char and can i see ppl how play it image https://imgur.com/a/clQwQPT

and too when i choice social or other take to long but they up loading screen type entering district server in some min exiting and they disconect me unexcpected

22 hours ago, Gamma64c said:

Have you ever tried to run APB in a VM? On real hardware of which mine has an old board / cpu / ram combo it barely gives 30fps in *social* in this win8.1 pro install. THe mainboard has max ram (16GB) The game needs to run on the metal.

No, i didnt. Was VSYNC/double/tripple buffering enabled for that test?

Trying to VSYNC in a VM can lead to exactly half the monitor frequency.

On 11/16/2018 at 3:30 AM, Ramihyn said:

No, i didnt. Was VSYNC/double/tripple buffering enabled for that test?

Trying to VSYNC in a VM can lead to exactly half the monitor frequency.

I thought as much

A game like APB will run like crap in a VM here. I only have 4 cores, 16GB ram, a GTX1050, a Ti750 and a number of soundcards. It can only run on the metal.

The tech used in the game is of ancient times. If the game cant access your GPU, soundcard and CPU cores directly, it will be a disaster

Edited by Gamma64c

I don't want to be that guy but ... I recently tried a fresh APB install on Windows 7 / 8.1 and 10, this was to check if there was any difference in performance. This was with the recent APB 'Halloween' patch. I have originals keys for all these OS'es, it were fresh installs (like, not upgraded from older versions). All Windows patches also got installed for each version (fully updated).

For these clean and updated installs, without any shared VC Redist installed, I had to manually install the VC Redists from the TPI folder to get the APB launcher running. (I think only the VC 2005 Redist is needed for the launcher?! But I installed them all anyway, because the launcher does that as well anyway if you don't). It might be an idea to include a check on launching the pc launcher (lol) to see if the  VC redistributable required for the launcher is installed on the machine.

Besides that, really, the game, DX9 and BE installed fine from the launcher on all versions. After that no issues. And what do you know, the FPS difference was within what you could call error margin, I mean running APB on the same graphical config between these Windows versions. No real difference. Loved that.

The only thing I found while experimenting on these fresh installs, is that you can break the game from launching in Windows 10 if you enable "address space layout randomization", or ASLR, in the Windows 10 defender settings (I think you need version 1806 or higher for this option to be available). If you want to use that, you'll have to whitelist APBprogram.

Other than that, it might just be something on your end. I mean like, 3rd party firewalls, dodgy drivers, bad wifi, weird compatibility settings, I really don't know! All I can tell you is the above, because I recently wanted to see the FPS difference between the OS's for the current APB.

VM Extra: I also tried the Halloween APB version in the latest VMware workstation player, just to test. This one is free for personal use. Dedicated 2 cores,  8gb of RAM and 70Gb of SSD space towards it. Did assign the last 2 cores on the cpu as those get used the least in my case. Used a fully updated Windows 10 as host and a fully updated Windows 10 as VM. Used the latest VMware tools and gpu drivers. APB definitely had playable performance while the host was in use for other stuff. I'm serious, I played some rounds without real issues like this. Obviously virtualization will always be slower than running it normally though.

Well, that's basically it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

On 11/20/2018 at 1:17 PM, Jazeker said:

For these clean and updated installs, without any shared VC Redist installed, I had to manually install the VC Redists from the TPI folder to get the APB launcher running. (I think only the VC 2005 Redist is needed for the launcher?! But I installed them all anyway, because the launcher does that as well anyway if you don't). It might be an idea to include a check on launching the pc launcher (lol) to see if the  VC redistributable required for the launcher is installed on the machine.

I've done both launcher starts & direct exe starts

Besides that, really, the game, DX9 and BE installed fine from the launcher on all versions. After that no issues. And what do you know, the FPS difference was within what you could call error margin, I mean running APB on the same graphical config between these Windows versions. No real difference. Loved that.

That's good news

The only thing I found while experimenting on these fresh installs, is that you can break the game from launching in Windows 10 if you enable "address space layout randomization", or ASLR, in the Windows 10 defender settings (I think you need version 1806 or higher for this option to be available). If you want to use that, you'll have to whitelist APBprogram.

Windows10 can't run on this machine. I don't want it to.

Other than that, it might just be something on your end. I mean like, 3rd party firewalls, dodgy drivers, bad wifi, weird compatibility settings, I really don't know! All I can tell you is the above, because I recently wanted to see the FPS difference between the OS's for the current APB.

The firewall let's it all through. I use a wired network in the building. All cat 6 wiring. The drivers are also up to spec, vga board drivers. The soundcards don't need any (USB soundcards)

VM Extra: I also tried the Halloween APB version in the latest VMware workstation player, just to test. This one is free for personal use. Dedicated 2 cores,  8gb of RAM and 70Gb of SSD space towards it.

I don't have enough ram to do that. The machine only has 16GB (the max of the board) I use the VM form oracle for my work.

Did assign the last 2 cores on the cpu as those get used the least in my case. Used a fully updated Windows 10 as host and a fully updated Windows 10 as VM. Used the latest VMware tools and gpu drivers.

win10 host. Would you want to try it with a win8.1 host?

APB definitely had playable performance while the host was in use for other stuff. I'm serious, I played some rounds without real issues like this. Obviously virtualization will always be slower than running it normally though.

Define playable. I don't need FPS since that is just a variable factor. Is it possible to see enemies in time and kill those, for which you are fast enough (and skilled enough) in comparison with playing it on the metal?

BTW:

I had forgotten about the thread, since I'm playing truck simulators these days. Thank you for your thorough and thoughtfull post. A lot of effort went into the VM tests and I appreciate it.

Edited by Gamma64c