Muzakai

Remove the need for administrator rights in order to launch the game

I have a very low-end and old pc which is unable to run APB at more than 20 frames even after setting every setting to low and messing with some of the files, so I use GeforceNOW to play games my computer can't run well. GeforceNOW is a cloud gaming service which allows me to play PC games on any device with the power of GeForce GPUs in the cloud. For obvious reasons, GeForce doesn't allow it's users to have administrator rights.

Edited by Muzakai

I believe Administrator Permission is required for optimal use of anti-cheat systems.
I could be wrong but if that is the case then it may not be possible.

1 hour ago, VickyFox said:

I believe Administrator Permission is required for optimal use of anti-cheat systems.
I could be wrong but if that is the case then it may not be possible.

Not entirely correct, but it does allow BattlEye to do whatever it pleases on your PC, so you're not necessarily wrong. It is actually only used to reset the NTFS permissions on the config files every time the game is launched, that is all I have seen it do in the game's code so far. I have already brought this up with @MattScott but haven't heard anything back in response quite yet.

Edited by Similarities

4 hours ago, Similarities said:

Not entirely correct, but it does allow BattlEye to do whatever it pleases on your PC, so you're not necessarily wrong. It is actually only used to reset the NTFS permissions on the config files every time the game is launched, that is all I have seen it do in the game's code so far. I have already brought this up with @MattScott but haven't heard anything back in response quite yet.

Do you have any idea if he's doing some sort of Q & A soon so I could ask about this directly?

It's because the Launcher needs to modify the install directory. The game also doesn't use the proper directories for storing temporary files and user settings. It stores everything in the same folder it's installed in which is the wrong way to do things (typical RTW/Reloaded). The program needs admin rights to modify the program files directory. If you installed APB somewhere else or modified your user settings it shouldn't be required, but Windows is retarded so you can't bypass the admin rights request. You can disable user account control entirely, but that opens some security holes. A lot of apps use the wrong directories too. For example, Discord installs in the %appdata% folder, which means it needs admin rights too. I swear some people purposely do things the wrong way.

How files are currently stored:

Config: " APB Reloaded\APBGame\Config "

AssetCache: " APB Reloaded\APBGame\AssetCache\ "

Logs: " APB Reloaded\APBGame\Logs "

Updates: " APB Reloaded\ "

How files should be stored:

Config: " %appdata%\Config\ "

AssetCache: " %temp%\AssetCache\ "

Logs: " %temp%\Logs\ "

Updates: " %temp\ "

As for the launcher issue, the better way would be instead of having a launcher, the game itself checks for updates. If there is an update, close and start the Launcher/Update tool. This would avoid the need for Admin rights when launching APB.

LO, could this possibly be fixed?

Edited by MrsHappyPenguin