Sign in to follow this  
mojical

Range of RFP "Talon" vs. other RFPs - bugged or not?

According to APB DB, the RFP Talon seems to have a dropoff start range of 30m, whilst the regular RFP and the Fang have a base dropoff range of 40m (IR3 not factored in). This issue was raised in some threads about weapon balancing back when the prototype districts were rolled out, but AFAIK there was never official confirmation on this. The Talon's mod doesn't give it any advantages over the regular model, nor does its description hint at a range decrease due to the silencer, so it shouldn't have lower range than the regular RFP models. 

My theory is that the Talon and Fang/RFP use different base weapons internally rather than being reskins, and the Talon got ignored when the RFP was silently buffed by G1 at around the time the Yukon was released. The buff was fairly recent since it wasn't in the original APB DB (apbdb.com).

For comparison, here are the stats of the regular RFP:

https://db.apbvault.net/items/Weapon_Pistol_RFP9

Here's the Talon:

https://db.apbvault.net/items/Weapon_Pistol_RFP9-SD_PR1_Armas

And here's the Fang:

https://db.apbvault.net/items/Weapon_Pistol_RFP9-Sight_PR1_Armas

Edited by Lyfeld
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

all RFPs have a standard range of 40m 

13 hours ago, BXNNXD said:

all RFPs have a standard range of 40m 

So is APB:DB just wrong like lately with the Whisper? It states 30m dropoff/50m minimum as opposted to 40/65 for the F2P model. And let's not even talk about the Armas stats...

It does feel like the Talon's not as consistent at range, but partial hits are a possibility too. 

Edited by Lyfeld

I don't know, I tried out the Talon also, and I felt I couldn't get kills nearly as consistently as I can with the normal RFP at range. I think it may be less, but it's only a gut feel.

APB DB seems to be accurate, only the regular RFP (and Fang of course, but that is beside the point) is able to 3 burst kill at 40m range. 

Edited by Lyfeld
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Lyfeld said:

APB DB seems to be accurate, only the regular RFP (and Fang of course, but that is beside the point) is able to 3 burst kill at 40m range. 

Thanks for taking the time to test this.

Finally the question has been answered.

Huh.

While I personally hate the RFP have 40m range, this does look like a bug

46 minutes ago, Nitronik said:

Huh.

While I personally hate the RFP have 40m range, this does look like a bug

Yeah one would think the RFPs all have the same base stats, with only the mods causing changes.

I wonder how long its been like this, I dont think Ive even heard many complaints about the Talon in regards to range.

Edited by CookiePuss

1 hour ago, CookiePuss said:

I wonder how long its been like this, I dont think Ive even heard many complaints about the Talon in regards to range.

Bcs nobody is using it.

I stopped using it cuz I couldnt kill a damn with this thing in longer ranges. Now I know why it always took 5 mags to kill. DAAAAAMN

This needs to be fixed. Never though there could be a range difference.

Edited by AxeTurboAgresor

Just now, AxeTurboAgresor said:

Bcs nobody is using it.

I stopped using it cuz I couldnt kill a damn with this thing in longer ranges. Now I know why it always took 5 mags to kill. DAAAAAMN

Thats actually a really good point.

Honestly just make the range 35 on all of them and be done with it. Talon already has the mod that does stuff (if tracers worked), that should be enough disadvantage for it. But the regular RFP might be slightly OP.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Inquitoria said:

But the regular RFP might be slightly OP.

The regular RFP is still somewhat fine. It's the Fang that's a problem, but since one's stats derive from the other and the base RFP is far from underpowered, lowering it makes sense.

Edited by Lyfeld

@MattScott

I don't want to seem impatient or anything, but is the LO staff aware of this issue? Players are potentially spending real money for an item which is inferior to the free-to-play version with no description or anything indicating that this is the case.

This is a bug rather than a balance issue. I messaged GMs during the Autumn Assault and holiday events about it, expecting to find it in the patch notes at some point.

Surely some will think "well duh, don't buy/use it then", but being my favorite RFP in terms of aesthetics and one of the better looking pistols overall, it's a shame that it's weaker for no reason. 

• Like 2

ARMAS also lists the Fang as 30m (37m) range, which is incorrect. 

I'll mention it to the LO folks, they are super busy but hopefully they can weigh in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/8/2018 at 4:27 PM, CookiePuss said:

Yeah one would think the RFPs all have the same base stats, with only the mods causing changes.

It's like that with a lot of weapons from what I'm aware - problem is nobody got comprasions to test that.

2 hours ago, Mitne said:

It's like that with a lot of weapons from what I'm aware - problem is nobody got comprasions to test that.

This is mostly the case with newer weapons. At some point they just stopped putting values into modifications and created new base entries instead. A lot of newer modifications are sadly just placeholders which kind of makes the random joker or christmas box loadouts useless.

btw, ya'll can hit me up regarding weapon value questions. I don't mind answering them as long as it doesn't get too complicated. *cough* curves *cough*

Edited by Speedz
  • Thanks 1

Darn, I wanted to buy the Talon, idk now 😕

Edited by Archon

KNEW something was off about my Talon all along. thanks for taking the time to test it out. I regret having bought the Talon all those years ago.

blergh , rfp is overpowered , but this is indeed a bug .

Sign in to follow this