Sign in to follow this  
_chain

De-threating, rewards and not much else.

Threat might need a bit of a fix again. It used to be win/loss based, now it's score based i'm pretty sure, but follows some weird rules, i've read somewhere that you only level threat when you are in the top half of the total players on the mission.

Anyways, I don't think this should be added right now, or that it's even a good set of ideas. Maybe this could work when the game gets a bigger player base. But here I go:

It should work on "seasons". For example, make it two weeks or one month/season.

When you threat up you'll have to stay on that threat level for the duration of the season. Then, you only get de-threated when the season ends or when you get a really bad match streak (below 0.3 k/d and low scores combined) but the threat level only goes down by one step. You can gain threat anytime based on score (like it works right now), even if the season hasn't ended yet, allowing newer players to progress through the difficulty levels of other players easily. 

Not having played for a long time (let's say 4 months) would put you in a ghost/black threat state, much like the esports ranking systems work,  where you'll have to play around 8-15 full matches in order to get classified. This state of threat would also allow you to play against all other threat levels (but only until you get classified).

The threat level earned after the positioning matches would also be based on threat levels that you've earned in the past, meaning that if you've been into gold throught the whole game and you suddenly and intentionally start playing like shit, you'll only get threat equal or maybe one step below gold. But this last point would requiere a bit of long term data collecting. 

About the reward part, adding some cash/random consumable rewards for getting win streaks, kill streaks and other badges would be good. Maybe add a gradual cash and experience multiplier to the mission rewards after a few wins, going from 1.0x to 2.0x or so. But this is just an idea, and the beefy important stuff you should focus on is above this paragraph. 

• Like 2

I am opposed to your threat idea, since you'll never be able to play with your friends if they aren't on the same skill level as you - killing the game rather quickly lol. This only truly works in a competitive game, where there would be a competitive "mode". Just remove threat districts entirely, but use a better match-making system. Maybe threat should be done like Overwatch's SR system, where the skill level of each player on a team will add up to a single skill level that would have to be on par the other team's. This would also work well with the idea that you can call in back up if you do feel it's still unfair, and you can still play with your friends regardless of skill!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, InspiriaHelix said:

I am opposed to your threat idea, since you'll never be able to play with your friends if they aren't on the same skill level as you - killing the game rather quickly lol. This only truly works in a competitive game, where there would be a competitive "mode". Just remove threat districts entirely, but use a better match-making system. Maybe threat should be done like Overwatch's SR system, where the skill level of each player on a team will add up to a single skill level that would have to be on par the other team's. This would also work well with the idea that you can call in back up if you do feel it's still unfair, and you can still play with your friends regardless of skill!

The game already does that with matchmaking; It finds a group of players that match as closely to the other team's combined threat. However that does not always go so well due to the small amount of players to choose from.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2018 at 5:34 AM, NotZombieBiscuit said:

The game already does that with matchmaking; It finds a group of players that match as closely to the other team's combined threat. However that does not always go so well due to the small amount of players to choose from.

Oh well, then why doesn't the game just remove matchmaking all together and add in a system that doesn't match you with the same people consecutively? That way it will always be a mixed bag - might be somewhat of a solution but eh.

On 11/4/2018 at 4:42 AM, _chain said:

Not having played for a long time (let's say 4 months) would put you in a ghost/black threat state, much like the esports ranking systems work,  where you'll have to play around 8-15 full matches in order to get classified. This state of threat would also allow you to play against all other threat levels (but only until you get classified).

Sounds okay to me, but 8-15 matches may be too many. I'd say 1-3 matches are more than enough

• Like 1

10 hours ago, InspiriaHelix said:

Oh well, then why doesn't the game just remove matchmaking all together and add in a system that doesn't match you with the same people consecutively? That way it will always be a mixed bag - might be somewhat of a solution but eh.

It will still give you the same people over and over. This is because it only has a maximum of 40 people to choose from. Even less in practice. 

@_chain , you mentioned kind of a season/competitive threat system, I personally like the idea!

The problem APB's Threat System always had was de-threating, but for a simple reason, no matter if you were gold, silver or bronce, you had no real benefits from playing in higher rank - it was only way harder to win the higher you ranked!

We need BIGGER/MORE Benefits for playing at higher Ranks!!!
Thats just how humans work! Why should you have a hard time playing against good players, if you can get the same points/Weapon/Skins/... from crushing noobs???

Why do people grind like crazy in other competitive games? Because they offer those BIG SHINY REWARDS (skins, accessories, avatars, ....) every season that they can brag with in front of their friends.

It's that simple:

Give players at higher ranks enough rewards/benefits and they won't be interested anymore in playing against noobs and getting much less rewards!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rocketnova said:

@_chain , you mentioned kind of a season/competitive threat system, I personally like the idea!

The problem APB's Threat System always had was de-threating, but for a simple reason, no matter if you were gold, silver or bronce, you had no real benefits from playing in higher rank - it was only way harder to win the higher you ranked!

We need BIGGER/MORE Benefits for playing at higher Ranks!!!
Thats just how humans work! Why should you have a hard time playing against good players, if you can get the same points/Weapon/Skins/... from crushing noobs???

Why do people grind like crazy in other competitive games? Because they offer those BIG SHINY REWARDS (skins, accessories, avatars, ....) every season that they can brag with in front of their friends.

It's that simple:

Give players at higher ranks enough rewards/benefits and they won't be interested anymore in playing against noobs and getting much less rewards!

True, not much I can add to this.

Since the only real way of earning serious money in-game is store raiding, any changes to the way money works in the game would have an impact on the marketplace. Imagine if, instead of getting 1k per win / 3k per win as a premium, you earned double or triple that on a higher threat server. It would also require a lot of price re-balancing, at least with lease weapons.

But this would only affect newer players. Even if those changes were added, you could probably see any high rank player still hopping on bronze because they don't need the money. A lot of people have millions of APB$ from just farming or selling stuff on the market.

Though this is only when talking about an increased money reward. Players will be very interested in flashy items because the endgame of any game with good customization is basically fashion, and we all know that.

Edited by _chain

Oh, really ... it's not about rewards at all. It didn't work in the past and will not work now. Teams of R255 golds on bronze servers does not care about rewards, they are coming for easy wins. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ashika said:

Oh, really ... it's not about rewards at all. It didn't work in the past and will not work now. Teams of R255 golds on bronze servers does not care about rewards, they are coming for easy wins. 

This.

12 hours ago, Ashika said:

You are right, I tried it today. APB Reloaded is the same as it was 4 years ago when i stopped...and I'm sad about.

Damn I really like the idea behind the game, it's an awesome game, but the system behind it is broken.

Short summary of my come back today:

- full squat lvl255 enemies
- on bronze server

- and the worst - they used the Troublemaker

Chatted with one of the guys and ask him, why he/she is doing it and destroying the (future-) playerbase?

His Reply: "idc, I have 4000hrs playtime" <- Average IQ of a Dethreater

Biggest Problem?

At the end Little Orbit can't change a thing about it and why? Because they depend on those brainless id***s and why is that? Because those are the ones buying tons of Joker Boxes and all the new Weapons and skins. If those LVL 255 have to actually play against players on their level they might quit as well.

There are two dead ends ahead:

1. Losing future players because of people deathreating and crushing the noobs on their first hours of playing APB.

2. Losing former players that pay a sh** lot of money to crush noobs with their new premium weapons of choice because they change the Threat System.

1 hour ago, Rocketnova said:

not to invalidate your post but the troublemaker was balanced years ago, if anything its a little underpowered now

9 hours ago, Rocketnova said:

You are right, I tried it today. APB Reloaded is the same as it was 4 years ago when i stopped...and I'm sad about.

Damn I really like the idea behind the game, it's an awesome game, but the system behind it is broken.

Short summary of my come back today:

- full squat lvl255 enemies
- on bronze server

Chatted with one of the guys and ask him, why he/she is doing it and destroying the (future-) playerbase?

His Reply: "idc, I have 4000hrs playtime" <- Average IQ of a Dethreater

Biggest Problem?

At the end Little Orbit can't change a thing about it and why? Because they depend on those brainless id***s and why is that? Because those are the ones buying tons of Joker Boxes and all the new Weapons and skins. If those LVL 255 have to actually play against players on their level they might quit as well.

There are two dead ends ahead:

1. Losing future players because of people deathreating and crushing the noobs on their first hours of playing APB.

2. Losing former players that pay a sh** lot of money to crush noobs with their new premium weapons of choice because they change the Threat System.

OMGZ NOT THE TROUBLE MAKER OH ME OH MY!!!!!!!

Is that really the only thing you guys could think concerning this whole post? It's a weapon that needs literally no weapon control in close range and as far i know, it's not even available on the in-game money shop.

Thx for sharing your thoughts on the topic anyways...