Similarities

My biggest gripe on the event. (Area wars but punished for fighting on occupied area because of the gas?)

The idea is to stop people from advancing or keeping people out of areas right, so why is it that the gas is so punishing when trying to invade another person's captured area? Why does it do health damage? You will already be at a disadvantage when entering an occupied area because you're most likely going to be outmatched, and if you aren't outmatched or nobody is there, the gas won't stop you from taking back the area anyway. The gas is just there to be annoying and do health damage, it doesn't stop you from destroying the barrels if the area is unoccupied, and it does stop you from fighting occupied area because it puts you at an even bigger disadvantage when attacking than you're already at, the game is already defender sided so why is it that the gas just adds another advantage to the defending side? Why are you punished for attacking someone else's land? Why even have a closed breathing apparatus if it's ineffective in the first place? The way that the gas works inherently leans the meta (hehe meta slave lul) toward capping uncapped areas, rather than trying to stop your opponent from capping areas or taking back capped areas.

I've been playing the event quite a bit, and the number of times I've seen people actually trying to destroy other people's area rather than just capping new land can probably be counted on both hands (outside of taking back unoccupied land, that is,) this leads to a very repetitive gameplay experience with little to no fighting for area due to how punishing it is in comparison to just taking new or unoccupied land, the only fighting I really see is at the very end of the match when everyone is fighting in the center of the map, and that's a pretty fun experience but it only lasts for a minute or so and then it's back to the same monotonous experience of driving around with barrels looking for land that hasn't been capped or blowing up barrels in unoccupied land.

This is just my 2c though, and maybe I'm looking at things the wrong way. Thanks for reading.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hard agree. I only go to enemy territory to get my daily done. It's completely impossible to destroy their barrels in one go if even just a single person defends it. Just getting there is difficult as it is, as you're getting shut down by enemy players on the way.

Also the fact that it requires daily activities to progress the role makes people completely stear away from teamplay to focus on their own acitivity, whereas victories would force people to actually try and teamplay so the team would win, and therefore progess the role.

3 hours ago, Dezire said:

Also the fact that it requires daily activities to progress the role makes people completely stear away from teamplay to focus on their own acitivity, whereas victories would force people to actually try and teamplay so the team would win, and therefore progess the role.

Exactly this, the activities need to be changed to something like win X times. I got "kill 3 barrel carriers" today and it's frankly just terrible. Even if you pull off a perfect ambush on a barrel carrier, they're just going to drop the barrel the moment they start getting shot at. The only way you're going to finish it is if you find someone in the district that also has that activity, and you agree to farm each other. That's not how events should work, at all.

Edited by Syra
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Syra said:

Exactly this, the activities need to be changed to something like win X times. I got "kill 3 barrel carriers" today and it's frankly just terrible. Even if you pull off a perfect ambush on a barrel carrier, they're just going to drop the barrel the moment they start getting shot at. The only way you're going to finish it is if you find someone in the district that also has that activity, and you agree to farm each other. That's not how events should work, at all.

It will count even if you kill them like a second or so after they drop it.

Edited by NotZombieBiscuit

1 man/woman Barrel Wrecking Crew

icon_lightmachinegun_alig762.png fnmod_weapon_coolingjacket3.png

Edited by Zolerox

35 minutes ago, Zolerox said:

1 man/woman Barrel Wrecking Crew

icon_lightmachinegun_alig762.png fnmod_weapon_coolingjacket3.png

Might give it a try later. I use my Deep Impact, concs and RD Fresno.

7 hours ago, Dezire said:

Basically this^... while farming dailies for 11 characters, I paid zero attention to the match itself. Wasn't until all dailies were done that I actually focused on the event.

Firework Launcher does not work in the event

Tagger sometimes takes 12 shots to trigger

One of the Barrel stacks is bugged and spawns Mid air (Screenshot) @Lixil

It's next to Medina Hospital

7QscUL9.png

Edited by Zolerox

I just get on advantage possition outside of enemy area and spam the barrels with an OPGL. But sometimes the barrels are on such a stupid spot, its impossible for opp team to get there.

...and its possible to repair barrels also.

2 hours ago, AxeTurboAgresor said:

I just get on advantage possition outside of enemy area and spam the barrels with an OPGL. But sometimes the barrels are on such a stupid spot, its impossible for opp team to get there.

...and its possible to repair barrels also.

I'd wager that's intended since the loading screen mentions it

Rejoice OP! The upcoming patch reduces the damage over time

The poison gas zone is way too big. Numerous times I would kill a few on point and not have enough fire power to destroy the barrels before the gas gets to me. Obviously the players I killed will respawn in the zone  and I am easy pickings since the poison gas has 85'd me and I can't get out of the zone in time. 

Remove the poison gas damage. 

• Like 1

Contrary to what everyone here says, I think the poison damage is good. 

BUT, it's not flawless. I agree too, it's a little broken. I think the gas shouldn't affect you as long as you're firing on the barrels, or if they get hit, the zone flashes and the gas stops or the player who shot the barrels gains immunity for a short period till they shoot the barrel again.

That way, the intended spawn protection is there, but at the same time it's still viable to destroy the barrels. 

Win - Win.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Trivirium said:

Contrary to what everyone here says, I think the poison damage is good. 

BUT, it's not flawless. I agree too, it's a little broken. I think the gas shouldn't affect you as long as you're firing on the barrels, or if they get hit, the zone flashes and the gas stops or the player who shot the barrels gains immunity for a short period till they shoot the barrel again.

That way, the intended spawn protection is there, but at the same time it's still viable to destroy the barrels. 

Win - Win.

Spawn protection already exists. Even if you wanted to camp the spawn there is a good chance multiple people will spawn with you. You are "gray" for a couple of seconds and will always get off the first shot. The poison damage makes it next to impossible to destroy some barrels because the area is so large to infiltrate. 

2 hours ago, LaQuandra said:

Spawn protection already exists. Even if you wanted to camp the spawn there is a good chance multiple people will spawn with you. You are "gray" for a couple of seconds and will always get off the first shot. The poison damage makes it next to impossible to destroy some barrels because the area is so large to infiltrate. 

Well when a group of 4 shows up at an empty point with no teammates nowhere near in sight, nor choosing to not spawn there because they're braindead.

I find it helpful that they're forced away from it when lurking. That way, they can't just stand close to the spawn and shoot everyone that spawns, sure you're greyed. But that doesn't stop spawn camping/killing after you fire the first shot to fight back. 

The poison is a good thing. And here is why:

• The team who's holding the capture point had to work for it
  • Their weakness (the barrels) can't move nor take action and are vulnerable from all angles of attack
  • If they want to expand their territory they have to stop defending and lead the area
  • If they want to hamper enemy progression, they have to stop defending and leave the area

If there was no toxic gas, the games would just be that much slower because you'd have more people defending, thus less people attacking so less expansion so timers would reach 100% much slower. You'd be forced to have people defending because one guy could just wreck everything in one go.

Not to mention that going through the efforts of capturing giving no other perks than having captured is a bad incentive. People would rather just capture one spot and then focus on wrecking the opponents, making it the worst gameplay environement possible.

Also stopping people from capping is easier than capturing itself when there is no numerical advantages. There's a reason why guerilla is effective IRL, and that;s the same reasons why capturing is harder than wrecking enemy barrels.

And yeah, it's not the best event ever, but I think they did a pretty good job (except for the Fing daylies) with the conditions they had.

I mean, it's pretty boring: There's no real incentive to win or play it except that it's different and Zomgz limited time only™.

But can you really make a new and FUN event when you have to:

• no new map
  • no new weapons
  • no new game assets
  • no new game mechanics besides 2 gimmicks
  • up to 100 players
  • shoestring budget

It's bad because it's cheap as hell, probably two interns coded it overnight as a joke or something:

• added a barrel skin, coloured it in 3 different colours
  • made some sort of hazmat skin with existing assets
  • coloured it in the same 3 different colours
  • put the same colors on a smoke effect
  • make the capture zone a square and not a circle, colour it in 4 different colours (added blue to the palette)
  • copy/paste the hazmat skin 6 times "hey look, new and original NPCs!"
  • make a few icons for the minimap (most work intensive part so far)
  • put a dark instagram filter on the map to make things "spooky"
  • revert the way name displays to beta era code

If this had more than a 4 digits budget, then they got robbed. And we all know it probably only had a 3 digits budget anyway.

So yeah, they did pretty well with all of this in mind.

Edited by Onadan