Mitne

Purple Pumpkin Tutorial - How to get your devil wings.

Hello! Since it's Halloween I decided to do quick how-to for all people who try to get all purple pumpkins this years, since old forum with thread about it got deleted.

Each time you find purple pumpkin/log-in distrct - you will get notification of location of most close to you purple pumpkin.

So here's first help for you - maps with name of sub-districts for both Financial and Waterfront:

b1jm.jpg

ovq5.jpg

(Thanks to XtremeLaw for creating this maps and Tigrix for digging them out before they were gone)

While sweeping through this area listen to sounds - purple pumpkins emit echoing laughter when you are near them.

Not all pumpkins although will be possible to hear to. Some will be on surface of water (in Waterfront) or river (in Financial).

At the very end you might find yourself stuck in one place because of inability to locate pumpkin. Usually then that means that pumpkin must be in hard to reach place.

While I can't pinpoint every wierd places out of experince there are few from my mind - Financial, North Havalynd - Bus Depot (Pumpkin was on the ledge through river bridge going toward Hope Complex, it was visible only from Bus Depot side and you could hear it from Hope Complex side), Waterfront, Clearwater Marina (Pumpkin in open waters), Financial, The Needles Empire and Main (Pumpkin high on bus depot billboard, unreachable and barely visible). So yeah, be ready that pumpkin might be in wierd place but if game states it's there, IT'S SURELY THERE, so keep LOOKING through area, even 10 times. Eventually you will find it.

Now word of advice. There won't be straightforward "where are all purple pumpkins" located at tutorial - because it's randomized for each player. You need to look sadly.

How much time would it take? I was looking for all pumpkins for 3-4 hours, expect for last 5 which took additional 1 hour, due to said random locations above. Don't worry, we all were stuck at last ones. You will find them if you really want to complete it.

So reserve yourself some evening and sit at it - and you will have it. Patience is required although.

Good luck, hope you will find it worth it - as I did. I don't regret spending that much time for devil wings at all.

Edit: Ah, also worthy of note is that there are no purple pumpkins in social. Please stop asking everyone about it.

Edited by Mitne
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I can only imagine which state of mind the intern that had to handpick pumpkin placement went through. And you can tell those aren't procedurally generated but hand placed. And since placement is different for every player there's way more than 300 pumpkin spot total. Clearly, some frustration woke his sadism somewhere during the process, as some placements are rather ... convoluted to say the least.

Either that or the guy in charge (mistakenly) thought this was a great and fun event for everyone.

Possibly a mix of both.

Things to be on the lookout for:

• pumpkins in elevated places : usually you can't see them from some angle. Poles, billboards, small ledges on buildings. Some are hidden inside the cutout letters and stuff; pretty evil.
  • pumpkins that are in inacessible terrain: on water, outside of the map, on unreachable heights.
  • use grenades if you can hear it but can't see it: you just need to pop it, not to see it, take a picture and put it on your instagram or something. Be pragmatic.

Also, do not trust the area. If you've swept the zone 3 times, walking, with high quality headphones, volume raised, then the pumpkins just aren't there. Check for underground tunnels, check the roofs, and check across the street.

As for sweeping, I recommand walking since running makes some noise. Begin by the outskirts of the area slowly going in, starting at ground level, then at the highest level and if any pumpkin still remains, check the intermediate levels.

Took me ~4 hours to complete waterfront. If I knew I'd just buy the devil wings or just ignore it altogether. Financial seems to be smoother than waterfront.

So that'd be an estimate 6 hours. 6 hours at minimum wage can buy you several devil wings, so if you really want them, just bite the bullet and pay.

Unless you want the achievement for pride and/or self-satisfaction reasons.

Personally I'm too invested in it to pull back, but had I known what I was getting myself into, I'd just ignore the thing altogether. But hey, at least when pumpkin hunting the rubberbanding isn't so much of a bother! there's your silver lining right there.

Edited by Onadan

This tutorial really has helped alot , my sincere thanks for posting this !  🙂

here's how i got the wings

1. make sure to hunt down as many purple pumpkins as you can find
  2. get more and more frustrated because you cant find a good dozen, since they've spawned in inaccessible areas
  3. give up
  4. go to the armas marketplace and buy the devil wings for 2 dollars
  5. realize you wont even wear the wings 
  6. drown your sorrows in fight club, smashing regular pumpkins

happy hunting!

Edited by BXNNXD
typo

@MattScottCan you reset the purple pumpkins in both districts for all players next year or if you can do it this year please do. I basically left off smashing pumpkins from like 2 years ago and I want to start all the way over. Good thing I had some pumpkins left otherwise I wouldn't be able to smash any pumpkins. 

7 hours ago, LordVegeta said:

@MattScottCan you reset the purple pumpkins in both districts for all players next year or if you can do it this year please do. I basically left off smashing pumpkins from like 2 years ago and I want to start all the way over. Good thing I had some pumpkins left otherwise I wouldn't be able to smash any pumpkins. 

Just create a new character.
Not everyone wants to lose his/her progress.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BXNNXD said:

here's how i got the wings

1. make sure to hunt down as many purple pumpkins as you can find
  2. get more and more frustrated because you cant find a good dozen, since they've spawned in inaccessible areas
  3. give up
  4. go to the armas marketplace and buy the devil wings for 2 dollars
  5. realize you wont even wear the wings 
  6. drown your sorrows in fight club, smashing regular pumpkins

happy hunting!

What are you saying Demon wings dont fit in with a real world (ish) shooter game?

Edited by CookiePuss

3 hours ago, Caisey said:

Just create a new character.
Not everyone wants to lose his/her progress.

So make a new character every year to do the pumpkin smashing? That doesn't sound like a good solution. 

Yeah if you cannot find it visually use your ears! If you still can't find it do not forget to check places like, above water, with a scope!

Had great fun doing this as chill as possible. Each their own but this was good stuff for me. 🍻

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, Jazeker said:

Yeah if you cannot find it visually use your ears! If you still can't find it do not forget to check places like, above water, with a scope!

Had great fun doing this as chill as possible. Each their own but this was good stuff for me. 🍻

Many players are reporting some pumpkins not making sound.

Yeah, so last pumpkin remaining is at "The needles -Haverall plaza". I have roamed the place about 5 times and leveled it with volcano and nade spamm, yet can't hear, see, smell, taste nor touch the friggin pumpkin. I'm stumped.

I even tried to shoot all around the platform going from haverall to yoido complex, no result. I have left no inch of ground unwalked, no tree nor lamp posts unchecked, walked around every dumpsters, fired my volcano at every single ledges.

I just can't find the goddamn pumpkin.

I just wish this happened before, because it being the very last one is the worst way I've ever been trolled, having to go through an extremely unfunny timesink. I just wish I knew what hellhole I was getting into.

just to be sure, there's no secret underground tunnel is there?

Ok nevermind I found it. I changed servers to be on the safe side, so that might help with them not producing any sound...

I am 100% sure I walked past where it was at least 3 times, gotta check my record just to be sure.

Edited by Onadan

21 hours ago, MattScott said:

Thank you so much for posting!

Gashdangit Matt xD, I thought I would have the luxury of never suffering those pumpkins again! >.<

Those laughs gave me nightmares... BRRRR

(Played some yesterday. Oh god it is just as horrible as I remembered. A true halloween experience :P)

(Don't worry, I love the event in my heart)

2 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

They were reporting that on a particular pumpkin years ago. Can't remember which one but it is out there aplenty on forums...

7 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

I sadly need to confirm that. There are places at which pumpkins don't make any sound.

If they do and you hear laughter clearly... and hear that mystical chime it means that purple pumpkin is in your eyesight.

In some cases though... pumpkin don't emit any sound...

No other cure for that than just looking for them visually. In some cases it might take very long as some pumpkins are very well hidden.

Edited by Mitne

@Mitne

Hey, thank you very much for this. Really appreciate it, more than you could even imagine. ❤️

On 10/31/2018 at 12:08 AM, MattScott said:

Thank you so much for posting!

There's a bug where the pumpkins don't make any sounds (i heard ppl say it on console version, but this is from PC version) 😕
I've had several of them now not make any sound, so I decided to record one of them.

Aaand... i'm stuck on "North Havalynd", I searched it like a mole and there's nothing -.-

While I'm necroposting a bit to bump this thread up again (hope expection can be made for that one) I guess this thread is still revelant, especially now - with Halloween being back - as I saw many questions arise in-game about devil wings.

• Thanks 1

Im Stuck on North havayland, my friends having this problem too i've been looking for 10 hours, it's my last pumpkin, just can't find it

18 hours ago, Paulo_Macedo said:

Im Stuck on North havayland, my friends having this problem too i've been looking for 10 hours, it's my last pumpkin, just can't find it

Just join/rejoin another district and the location will move.

good luck to those tackling this, it can be the very definition of hell.

honestly relieved i did this over 2 years ago

Event's back again, and the same old bugs reported in this thread are still around.

• Pumpkins not making any sound.
  • Pumpkins spawning in areas the player can't access.
  • Pumpkins spawning in areas the player can't even see to shoot at.
  • And much, much more!