Leefekyn

Changing Heavy Barrel

So, I know mod changes aren't really what people want to see right now, considering all the "mods are fine don't change any" responses to the recent improved rifling patch. However, I'd like to see Heavy Barrel get some more use in general play. As it is now, Heavy Barrel reduces overall damage to, in turn, reduce bloom per shot. That's cool and all, but it usually isn't worth the damage trade off. Heavy Barrel is a reward for the sniper role, why not have it reward players for keeping their distance?

My idea is to take this a step further; I'd like to introduce the ramping damage system currently used in the DMR and Volcano, while keeping the upper limits on range. Heavy damage reduction for the first 60-80% of the effective range, then a modest increase in the last 20-40%. Damage reduction, damage increase, and ranges at which these effects take place, can all be tier based. 

Rough Numbers:

FnMod_Weapon_HeavyBarrel1.pngHB1

10% Sloped Damage Reduction below 60% of mid dropoff range

7.5% Sloped Damage Increase above 60% of mid dropoff range

FnMod_Weapon_HeavyBarrel2.pngHB2

20% Sloped Damage Reduction below 70% of mid dropoff range

10% Sloped Damage Increase above 70% of mid dropoff range

FnMod_Weapon_HeavyBarrel3.pngHB3

30% Sloped Damage Reduction below 80% of mid dropoff range

12.5% Sloped Damage Increase above 80% of mid dropoff range

Check how this would change individual weapons:

Link: Damage Calculator

So, all the values in this are taken from db.apbvault.net, which may have a few incorrect numbers. If they're numbers seem right, and the chart for your selected weapon is wrong, it's probably on my end. I'll try to figure out the linear functions to get those inbetween values soon, but for now you won't be able to highlight the graph to see exact values. Otherwise, enjoy!

Thanks for taking the time to check out the thread!

Edited by Leefekyn
Added Damage Calculator

seems like a new mod, considering the entire point of heavy barrel is to reduce bloom and im also personally not a fan of damage ramp ups, i find it too contrarian and unnecessarily confusing

then you've used the ntec, arguably the most versatile weapon in the game, and hb seems to limit it to about 50% of its normal range - im not sure theres any benefit that will outweigh the negative of "losing" roughly half a gun's effective range

lastly, how would this mod work on the dmr since it already has a damage ramp up

• Like 1

On 10/25/2018 at 6:20 PM, BXNNXD said:

seems like a new mod, considering the entire point of heavy barrel is to reduce bloom and im also personally not a fan of damage ramp ups, i find it too contrarian and unnecessarily confusing

then you've used the ntec, arguably the most versatile weapon in the game, and hb seems to limit it to about 50% of its normal range - im not sure theres any benefit that will outweigh the negative of "losing" roughly half a gun's effective range

lastly, how would this mod work on the dmr since it already has a damage ramp up

I've always kinda liked the ramping system, but wish it was easier to gauge exact distances. Something like the how spotter, firework launcher, and volcano show range in the reticle would be nice. I picked the N-TEC as it's one of the most used guns in the game. It would cripple the ability to use the gun in the first 10-15m and would require a solid secondary weapon to help offset this, but would lower ttk past ~40m until the dropoff reduces the damage below that point at ~50m.

For the DMR, I would imagine it'd be a great pick for a mod. It seems like it'd lower the range at which the gun two shots slightly, but at the cost of a base damage reduction. I started a spreadsheet to test custom mod numbers like this to see how they'd play, but haven't had the chance to finish it.

On 10/26/2018 at 7:26 AM, AxeTurboAgresor said:

Why would one use this if they can put IR on instead, with no damage handicap in close range? There is literally no use for it

This, with certain weapons at least, has the ability to lower ttk within particular ranges, instead of just increasing the overall range.

Not saying this is a great idea, but I feel like there is some potential to having a mod that rewards players for actively trying to dictate how close or far a fight is. Heavy Barrel just seemed like the go to one as it already has a damage reduction, and isn't used nearly as much as other red mods.

DMR-SD - HB1 - 2 shot 64M. Sounds OP. This would also make the OBIR a 2 burst kill, and the CR762 4 hit kill.

Also, I think someone messed up on db.apbvault.net. It shows the SG-21 and JG as being 1 shot kills...

5 hours ago, MrsHappyPenguin said:

DMR-SD - HB1 - 2 shot 64M. Sounds OP. This would also make the OBIR a 2 burst kill, and the CR762 4 hit kill.

Also, I think someone messed up on db.apbvault.net. It shows the SG-21 and JG as being 1 shot kills...

I'm calculating everything from in between the dropoff start and end distances, and just updated the main post to reflect that.

With that said:

The DMR should be two shots from 70m on, a little op, but nothing extreme. The DMR in most cases seems like a straight upgrade with this though, which I'm not a huge fan of.

The CR762 is four shots from 20m to 35m, pretty big deal. Unless the benefit of reduced accuracy loss was taken away, this would be pretty broken.

The OBIR two shots from 20m to 35m if all shots hit, I could deal with this, but definitely not ideal.

Spreadsheet is pretty much done though

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pSk31UgcImrJ59rKLDg7hQS85dJkoBk6TQL-DUn819w/edit?usp=sharing

That sheet should let you select any weapon on db.apbvault.net to see how these changes would effect them.

Edited by Leefekyn

I was doing 60% of dropoff range, not 60% of mid (average between max/min?).

As for the rifles, you need to account for the curved damage system on the ARs and Rifles. This would widen the reduced shot range,

Only a few folks here are even allowed an ooinion. 

Only a few folks here are even allowed an opinion. 

6 hours ago, MrsHappyPenguin said:

I was doing 60% of dropoff range, not 60% of mid (average between max/min?).

As for the rifles, you need to account for the curved damage system on the ARs and Rifles. This would widen the reduced shot range,

Yeah, the original charts had started, mid (average between start an final), and final dropoff ranges, but I noticed that the ones based on start were far too weak to be worth using, and the ones on the end were too strong. My wording definitely could have been better too.

Not quite sure how the curved damage system would play into everything, and that's way too many values for me to work with in sheets.

5 minutes ago, Havana said:

Only a few folks here are even allowed an ooinion. 

Its all about constructive criticism. Getting feedback, positive or negative, on these types of threads is helpful!