MattScott

Matchmaking and Threat

On 10/25/2018 at 11:20 AM, SK4LP said:

we gonna loose some sides of the MMO part ... (I would have preferred , new lvl and mission, for clan only, (a hardcore gamer sandbox))

What make some goin to bronze and dethreatin, wasn t the will to be a "king of the hill" ... but essentially the fact they want more fun ...

hope clan who play in an "east team" mod, will have a malus on new "team balance"

back to macro user and mouse wheel shooter ....

Hola Sk4lp 😄 / could be nice see clan wars

• Like 1

On 10/19/2018 at 4:21 PM, MattScott said:

I think a lot of work needs to be done on how threat or skill is calculated. It feels like we should be measuring activity better, and change should be more gradual (like BXNNXD referred from an earlier post of mine).

I agree with your point on this. If you look at mass esports games like let's take CS:GO for an example matchmaking ranking takes so long to go up in threat and go down in threat but then there is one thing that APB has that CS:GO doesn't which is standing and money that you get from the number of kills that you make so I feel like making it more gradual will help but it will not make it so that it doesn't happen. Like there are still going to be people dethreating and then going for more kills and because it's more gradual that means they will stay in a lower threat longer at the cost of it taking a bit longer to dethreat and if you make it easy to up threat but hard to dethreat then that's just gonna cause a lot of silvers that were good for 1 or 2 games because of luck get stuck in a higher threat and want to kill themselves playing the game because they will be getting pooped on. So, in the end, I feel like that isn't a real solution it still seems like a band-aid for a bullet hole.

Edited by YeOldLegends

I’m curious why threat calculation hasnt been adjusted to fallback to asymmetrical matches. 

For instance, I wonder if we could match 3 medium threat with 2 slightly higher threat to make it more even. Or 3 vs 4.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, MattScott said:

I’m curious why threat calculation hasnt been adjusted to fallback to asymmetrical matches. 

For instance, I wonder if we could match 3 medium threat with 2 slightly higher threat to make it more even. Or 3 vs 4.

?

2 hours ago, MattScott said:

for me, asymmetric matches do not strain at all . I can play one against four clan opponents . it is in the tactics and knowledge of the game is known characteristics of the player and not the ability to shoot . (having sushestvenno lead in the ping)

there are obvious flaws in the system :

1. T lv should not be able to play bronze , silver district. 

2. four levels of threat-gold can't play in bronze district .

1Jl8f7Zkeh.jpg

3. clans are elites . they can't play against solo players, they can't play in the bronze district .

4. the system does not show real time

XTDkZ746ov.jpg

in total, this account has 1400 lv and more than 10,000 hours .question !  whether you want the system to show such data ?

Edited by Yood

36 minutes ago, MattScott said:

Hey everyone,

Matt

there, fixed it for you

teambalance.jpg.ad807ab6928c547c3a636d349aa3481b.jpg

or 1 vs 3 ...or 4

Edited by SK4LP
  • Thanks 1

In simple words i think theres 3 main skill lvls: bad,middle and good.Call it bronze,silver,gold or whatever u want.So we need this lvls well maded and not interact with each other.Plus separate place for new players only and another place where all this 3 lvls can join,group and play however they want

aa50WqD.png

For each of this 3 threats i think must be lvl/tier/stage 1 and 2.So for example: in silver districts can play only silver threats stage 1 and 2.Match for example: mission - two silvers stage 1 vs silver stage 2 and another stage 1.First team (1 and 1) can call for back up.If they call stage 2 (now is 1-1-2 vs 2-1) the second team can call too.If they call stage 1 (1-1-2 vs 2-1-1) now match is even and both sides cant call anymore.If second team call higher-both sides can keep calling till is even.

Edited by TheMessiah

12 hours ago, MattScott said:

The game currently does create asymmetrical matches though. It might not do it as extremely as it used to, but it definitely still does.

Asymmetrical matches are fun, and they kinda' work, but the issue with them is that a huge percentage of final stages are kill based, and the fewer higher threat players will virtually always win on a kill stage. I'm not saying asymmetrical matches shouldn't be a thing, I'm just pointing out their major flaw.

Edited by Kewlin
Testing.

Just feel that I have a different perspective on this topic due to being in the oceana time zone.

Im against dethreating but I am forced to do it because of low population in my time zone on Jericho. 3 players in silver and 40+ in bronze. If you want to play you have to dethreat, most of the time there arnt enough players in silver to dethreat or they are trying to dethreat too. Another thing is Liitle Orbit needs to realise that no one is going to buy premium in this environment, because it doesnt allow you to dethreat so money is being lost. 

While the game is at a low population it needs to remove threat restrictions completely. Threat does not equal skill, rank does not equal skill.

Apb needs a noob island of some sort that has a rank restriction, and a win rate kick from district or gold play gold server, silver on silver server and bronze play on bronze server or just make the rewards and odds impossible on bronzer server for golds.

make gold level hard to reach, then put it irreversible (for X amount of time) and lock their MODS (all) on district if is not same threat level.

make bronze level hard to reach too.

Remove any district segregation.

Higher threat simply will NOT get ez opposition until available. (1Gold == 3Silver at least, or 6Bronze at least, until this balance, they just can kill pedestrians or listen music)

Edited by Queen of Love
mod
  • Thanks 1

Not sure if its been suggested. But what if we just hide the threat level and have slow progression through the threat levels? I imagine it would be harder to dethreat when you dont know where your character threat is at. A gold having a bad game or a Silver having a good game could really throw a dethreater off trying to figure their threat out. Not perfect but I think it greatly reduce the amount of dethreaters. Only detheaters left would be extremely determined ones who will lose 100 games before they start playing normally again.

With low population im sure this solution wont work much as you could remember the names of the good/bad players. But with a healthy amount of players I think it could discourage dethreaters.

I think hidden threat can help the game overall. Im sure a bronze or a low silver get discouraged the moment the mission starts and they see a gold; with hidden threat players are more likely to play the mission vs not trying/quitting. Also people with big egos quitting when they see a lower threat on their team, they'd atleast have to give people a chance to play some of the mission. (unless they remember the player of course, no stopping that)

Just a thought.

7 hours ago, Queen of Love said:

make gold level hard to reach, then put it irreversible (for X amount of time) and lock their MODS (all) on district if is not same threat level.

make bronze level hard to reach too.

Remove any district segregation.

Higher threat simply will NOT get ez opposition until available. (1Gold == 3Silver at least, or 6Bronze at least, until this balance, they just can kill pedestrians or listen music)

just stop posting..

20 hours ago, Queen of Love said:

what

What do mods have to do with anything?

6 minutes ago, TheHidden-Tember said:

what

What do mods have to do with anything?

try to ask to bronze how nice is fight against carsurfer or remotedetonator. Plus the experienced players with CA3

4 hours ago, Queen of Love said:

try to ask to bronze how nice is fight against carsurfer or remotedetonator. Plus the experienced players with CA3

You must be referring to a low level player as being Bronze doesn't exclude someone from using those mods.  Nor does being low level; if one is determined, one can purchase said mods for joker tickets.  Lastly, this game does have RPG elements so if you want to properly unlock said mods then you have to play, it's fair.  I honestly wish they'd space out the level requirements for mods more than what they already are, top level mods should require you to be r100+.  This would also incentivize grinding for JTs; game would be better if joker store had more relevancy at all levels.

4 minutes ago, mynd said:

You must be referring to a low level player as being Bronze doesn't exclude someone from using those mods.  Nor does being low level; if one is determined, one can purchase said mods for joker tickets.  Lastly, this game does have RPG elements so if you want to properly unlock said mods then you have to play, it's fair.  I honestly wish they'd space out the level requirements for mods more than what they already are, top level mods should require you to be r100+.  This would also incentivize grinding for JTs; game would be better if joker store had more relevancy at all levels.

4remote detonator vs 4 carsurfers? No thanks. who join bronze would play fair.

12 hours ago, Queen of Love said:

4remote detonator vs 4 carsurfers? No thanks. who join bronze would play fair.

Better to learn how to dodge Remote Det earlier than later.  Remote det isn't a real problem and is only good for fluke kills here and there against aware players.  Everyone could benefit from being a little more aware in APB.  Car surfer CAN be a problem in item hold missions where people run, but that's a problem for any opp, regardless of level.

I get that you have an issue with these mods, but there are ways to handle them or get them one's self at any level.

On 10/27/2018 at 9:27 PM, Kewlin said:

Asymmetrical matches are fun, and they kinda' work, but the issue with them is that a huge percentage of final stages are kill based, and the fewer higher threat players will virtually always win on a kill stage. I'm not saying asymmetrical matches shouldn't be a thing, I'm just pointing out their major flaw.

They really only work if there are no less than two players on each side and the difference doesn't exceed two players. In other words 2v3 and 3v4 are fine. Once a 2v4 scenario is mathematically balanced, it is rarely fun for the 4 players, because their skill-level needs to be substantially lower than that of the opposing duo.

Placing more than 8 people total in a mission is problematic, because the game isn't built around it and will usually allow each team to keep the pressure on the objective at all times. This is puts a major advantage on the defending team. Throw uneven numbers into the mix and the larger team will carry a massive advantage into the stages preceding the finale.

As far as I'm concerned the game works best in 2v2, 2v3 and 3v3, but can accommodate 3v4 and 4v4 as well, if necessary.

One on one is all around boring, because getting killed directly correlates with losing an objective and most finales just don't work well in this scenario.

On 10/29/2018 at 6:04 AM, Queen of Love said:

I tried to ask a bronze this once but it was obvious they were unable to use their keyboard and mouse in order to reply.

• Like 2

We better have stages to each rank, and make it work on better ELO points instead of getting frustrated by this autistic MM nowadays.

On 10/31/2018 at 12:36 PM, Regenance said:

We better have stages to each rank, and make it work on better ELO points instead of getting frustrated by this autistic MM nowadays.

there are already (hidden) stages to all of the ranks, this is why you don't downrank immediately after losing a couple missions

however, the whole system is very flawed along - because matchmaking is also nearly impossible with only 100 players available in one district.

elo systems also dont always work. e.g. in japan riot/lol is facing the same issue, there are lots of challenger and diamond players etc because the server is basically empty.

and even then, matchmaking doesn't even work as expected in big games with good servers like overwatch.

I'm no expert at the mechanics of matchmaking but I can say exactly why as a silver player I stay in bronze districts because it's the only chance I can get to play against other players of my rank. Go to a silver district? Yeah right! The place is "Gold City". You will get stomped by gold players which is not something that bothers me as much as the grief you get from the opposition and the players on your team which is worse.

I was paired with two golds against an all gold team. My own team decided to kill me over and over, wouldn't let me complete objectives and lost the whole mission (which I suspected they were trying to dethreat). This happens again and again in silver districts. And you get some golds on your own team that takes it upon themselves to critique your every move because somehow you don't play to their high standards. I mean if your such a wizard at APB and you're a gold why don't you go to a gold district and try to impress the hell out of everyone there?

True not every gold player is like this and there have been some who have been downright helpful but I see it more and more every time I play how miserable the experience can be when you get some types that are out to ruin it for everybody who is unfortunate enough to get paired with them.

2 minutes ago, Akahi said:

I mean if your such a wizard at APB and you're a gold why don't you go to a gold district and try to impress the hell out of everyone there?

Here's a pic of me in a Gold district impressing everyone in there:

empty-room-with-big-panoramic-window-sto

1 minute ago, Kewlin said:

Here's a pic of me in a Gold district impressing everyone in there:

empty-room-with-big-panoramic-window-sto

Yes I know the gold district is empty. I just don't understand why all the gold players show up in the silver district. It's not that I got a thing against gold players but there are quite a few that seem to be there just to get easy kills or just to sabotage a mission when your paired with them.