MattScott

Matchmaking and Threat

8 hours ago, Stunny said:

why are you lying? i used to play on joker NE and it was 100/100. then 80/80 then 50/50. oh a year after 50/50 they tried 80/80 again but the crappy servers from 1861 powered by some guy on a bicycle didnt handle it so they halved it again.

just saying if they got proper servers they could have proper districts again like joker NE had.

anything but this "you'll get phased into an empty district with 2-3 other teams" crap. that's going to kill the game. san paro will feel dead. no ambiance, no ramraiders, no district chat, no randomness, no atmosphere. just you and a couple of other teams stuck on this dead empty map knowing you're just there for the match and the district doesn't really 'exist'. it'll be so static and stale.

i'm really worried.

i can only assume you’re being willfully ignorant at this point, as 50v50 has been the highest amount of players ever allowed in an action district 

over the years the cap has been moved down to 45v45 and 40v40, but it’s never gone higher than 50v50

mattscott has already addressed in this very thread that phasing won’t put you in an empty/nearly empty server 

3 hours ago, JellyBOY said:

What's happening here?

119pfdi.png

Kinda offtopic, no?

Anyway, mission objective (vehicle) spawns into another vehicle. Game glitches out (known as car humping) and slingshots the obj up on the roof.

13 hours ago, TheJellyGoo said:

Kinda offtopic, no?

Anyway, mission objective (vehicle) spawns into another vehicle. Game glitches out (known as car humping) and slingshots the obj up on the roof.

Didn't old G1 try to counter that? At some locations you can't place your car at spots where normally would be mission vehicles. It's so silly to see, your car literally bumps into nothing.

23 hours ago, Stunny said:

why are you lying? i used to play on joker NE and it was 100/100. then 80/80 then 50/50.

Action districts have never accommodated more than 100 players total (50 Enforcers, 50 Criminals).

Edited by Revoluzzer

1 hour ago, Haganu said:

Didn't old G1 try to counter that? At some locations you can't place your car at spots where normally would be mission vehicles. It's so silly to see, your car literally bumps into nothing.

Never heard of that? The only invisible things I bump into are the bugged cars in financial parking.

17 minutes ago, TheJellyGoo said:

Never heard of that? The only invisible things I bump into are the bugged cars in financial parking.

So it's a bug after all? lol

Matt,

I absolutely love the idea of phasing and it is something I have been groveling about in my clan's VOIP servers for years every time someone outside my mission interferes. "Why can't they phase missions? People from outside the mission shouldn't be able to crash into me or block the objective with their cars." If implemented effectively, phasing would kill many birds with one stone.

In regard to matchmaking, I like the idea of pulling from a larger pool of people and trying to place them in missions with people of similar skill levels and latency. If you're able to effectively implement a matchmaking system that can achieve everything you said, LO will officially have won the internet.

I'm on the fence about completely removing visible threat, however, because we utilize threat and rank in determining who makes the cut for my clan's SWAT Team. It will be significantly more difficult to create new criteria as cut and dry as "You have to be gold, you have to be this rank or higher... in order to qualify to be tested". Should visible threat be removed entirely, we would have no true measurable way of setting minimum criteria and would have to rely completely on evaluations.

One of the suggestions I had previously made was re-implementing the 1 - 10 threat system that G1 used way back in the day, where people could tell how far along they were in their threat level.

While I would be personally indifferent if threat was removed, I think for a game that essentially requires you to partake in PvP to progress, there should be some system in place that tells players how they rank compared to others. I have fond memories of working through the various tiers of Silver (8 9, 10) to reach Gold back in the Open Beta- that was fun and gave me something to strive for when I was a brand new player.

Have a Happy New Year and thank you for the progress on APB! We're all looking forward to APB 2019!

Regards,

Rick

• Like 1

open access to bronze, silver areas TLV players . this is a big mistake and a problem .

Edited by Yood
  • Like 1

with population that low and mixing the golds vs bronze vs silvers - we cant find a solution - would work better if the silvers only alowed to play with bronze and gold/silvers - and golds vs golds and sivers - and bronze vs bronze/green/t and silver......that should works - or we need bigger size distrs

On 3/26/2019 at 6:34 PM, Yood said:

close access to bronze, silver areas TLV players . this is a big mistake and a problem .

also this yeah let the T play vs greens and mb bronzes no ilvers or golds !

1 hour ago, Romique said:

with population that low and mixing the golds vs bronze vs silvers - we cant find a solution - would work better if the silvers only alowed to play with bronze and gold/silvers - and golds vs golds and sivers - and bronze vs bronze/green/t and silver......that should works - or we need bigger size distrs

also this yeah let the T play vs greens and mb bronzes no ilvers or golds !

T LV -in the bronze district is a PROBLEM . you will only hinder the others play ! you don't know how and don't know anything !  I would advise such players to play at least a week in a green area for minimum training . it will be even better if you achieve at least complete training .  now it is limited as I understand 30 lv .

Edited by Yood

I haven't logged in for quite a while, but when I was playing regularly a big problem I had was just the amount of times we kept getting matched up with the same people over and over again. I think instanced matching across districts like Matt suggested would be a great improvement because of how one sided some match ups tend to be at the moment. When trying to level up my newer mid rank character I'm usually either being curbstomped by the same max rank coordinated gold teams every game, or my team consists of max ranked golds steamrolling the enemy team who has only one gold and 2 or 3 low ranked silvers with STAR556s.

There's almost no in between and the skill gap is just way too big with such a small population in the game. At least when open conflict was still around I thought the matchmaking in those districts was slightly better because you'd occasionally get a mixed bag of both new people and experienced players on each team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

T Lv and golds in silver & bronze arena NONSENS .APRIORI . 

Edited by Yood

I'm going to copy/paste something I just mentioned in another thread. (Also MattScott, would you please check your private messages on the forum.)

Remove the threat system altogether.  People don't need to know if others are gold, silver, bronze or whatever. If you play most shooter games, you connect to a server & play the people that you're playing. End of story. if you're with a good group of players and get newer players as back up, that gives you a chance to show them how to play right. It gives you an opportunity to improve leadership skills. If you're a newer player & get better players as back up, that gives you an opportunity to learn from tactics you might not be aware of.

People put too much emphasis in thinking other players are drastically this much better or worse, this is psychologically damaging & dampening to the spirit of playing games. It subconsciously keeps people from playing to their full potential infusing comparative mentalities to one's own abilities; much like the flaw with social media.

The only way to get good at things in life is to get your patootie kicked in it, period. That's the entire concept behind training & practice. This isn't an easy game to level up in a hurry. This game takes a lot of time, over that time people will get better by practice & communicating ideas and tactics on the forums or their VoIP servers with comrades.

Threat is the nuttiest idea & the fact that so many people still support it or any other balancing & matchmaking system is mind-boggling. This has been debated for years & it's absolutely pathetic that it's still an issue.

Edited by sTr8-jAcKeT
[CLASSIFIED]
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, sTr8-jAcKeT said:

Threat is the nuttiest idea & the fact that so many people still support it or any other balancing & matchmaking system is mind-boggling. This has been debated for years & it's absolutely pathetic that it's still an issue.

The THREAT is FAKE , OK ! please explain why gold arena empty ?

I'm confused, did you not read anything? Because so many people believe in segregation that they have committed to making separate places for different castes of people to play.  It's self-explanatory, the fallacy within this logic that is. I don't know why people want to believe that they are less than other players, that is so psychologically damaging it's not even funny.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sTr8-jAcKeT said:

I'm confused, did you not read anything? Because so many people believe in segregation that they have committed to making separate places for different castes of people to play.  It's self-explanatory, the fallacy within this logic that is. I don't know why people want to believe that they are less than other players, that is so psychologically damaging it's not even funny.

people need rules and restrictions . otherwise, the game turns into chaos .

with the data the conditions provided now the game does not work . 

Pioneer , HOPLON , HAN , Nekrova dead 

Edited by Yood

On 4/23/2019 at 12:40 PM, sTr8-jAcKeT said:

You need segregation in order to keep ppl playing within their skill range. Without it you get what APB matchmaking is, a complete and udder failure. You also get further problems when the game community is so bad that they drop threat just to crush ppl of lesser skill and its accepted more then its shamed. Not everyone is top tier badass at a game and when your not as good and u have to face these ppl constantly its damaging as then you feel like crap. Stayin within an area allows you to find ur range where u can enjoy playing and can have tough fun battles that make playing worth it.

On 4/24/2019 at 4:43 AM, Yood said:

people need rules and restrictions . otherwise, the game turns into chaos .

with the data the conditions provided now the game does not work . 

Pioneer , HOPLON , HAN , Nekrova dead 

Even with rules its chaos when there not enforced and the community accepts the bad behavior as ok.

14 hours ago, Darkzero3802 said:

Even with rules its chaos when there not enforced and the community accepts the bad behavior as ok.

it seems to me that not exactly understand the meaning . the game is a team , a society . there are rules , there are punitive organs . People are WEAK to resist temptation . WE NEED STRONG MEASURES .

if the "gold" players have the opportunity to Troll the silver arena, they will sooner or later take advantage of it . if the TLv player has the opportunity to skip training then in 99% he will miss it .

Edited by Yood

15 hours ago, Yood said:

it seems to me that not exactly understand the meaning . the game is a team , a society . there are rules , there are punitive organs . People are WEAK to resist temptation . WE NEED STRONG MEASURES .

if the "gold" players have the opportunity to Troll the silver arena, they will sooner or later take advantage of it . if the TLv player has the opportunity to skip training then in 99% he will miss it .

Yes we do need strong measures but besides that we need strong enforcement as more often then not ppl try to take the easy way out. When ppl see ENFORCEMENT of the rules and there are examples made of some ppl who arent following them ppl will fall in line, without that ppl will continue to weave around them,

At this stage any discussion of matchmaking is pointless,

when the pool of available players is little more than a puddle nothing you try and do will make any difference.

23 minutes ago, TheDogCatcher said:

At this stage any discussion of matchmaking is pointless,

when the pool of available players is little more than a puddle nothing you try and do will make any difference.

^gets it^

My opinion about phasing is that it should be an optional feature. Realistically threat segregation would still work if higher threat players would be forced out of lower threat districts once their threat changes, it should solve dethreating issue easily without complicated time consuming phasing system.

9 hours ago, xHenryman90x said:

My opinion about phasing is that it should be an optional feature. Realistically threat segregation would still work if higher threat players would be forced out of lower threat districts once their threat changes, it should solve dethreating issue easily without complicated time consuming phasing system.

That used to happen when segregation was first introduced, it lead to ppl mass dethreating so they wouldn't have to play in gold servers. At the end of the day segregation only made things worse and dethreating has been a problem ever since. And dethreating only makes threat and matchmaking that much worse. Part of the problem is the community and the community honestly needs to grow a pair. They complain all the time about all this stuff yet they dont do anything to fix it and continue in the ways that has made is as bad as it is.

6 hours ago, Darkzero3802 said:

"That used to happen when segregation was first introduced"

You mean that they were forced back to gold districts before at some point but they reverted it?

@MattScott There is some problem with points earning

-killing player with 1% hp left still gives 100 points maybe system kill equals 100 minus assists

-doing points should be rewarded on time you spent on them from 20 up to 20 points

-demerits shouldnt give minuses points it should interfere with threat but not using points system may e some flag on character etc.

-arrests shouldnt be such rewarded

-arrest freeing should be intouchd or even boosted with additional $ ( with abuse prevention ) 

-stunning should be more rewarded

-killing stunned enemy should give other players except stun osner less points maybe 50 or something like that

this could fix threat assignation and nit give players thread up after doing nothing in mission

ps. it cheched thread each 10 (or something) missions