MattScott

Fully reverting IR changes.. and why we tried them in the first place

11 minutes ago, Lily Rain said:

How about a hybrid solution?

The Raptor Condor's red-silencer-mod comes into effect when 8 bullets are fired with no breaks in between. Doing so breaks the silencer and exposes the shooter on radar.

Silencer.jpg

The same mechanism can be implemented onto improved rifling in the form of overheat. Improved rifling will initially have no downside, but firing continuously enough to fill the bar can introduce the reduction in rate of fire (or accuracy or any other suitable downside). # of shots-to-overheat should be weapon-specific.

Though a lot of players will argue that this would serve no purpose and just be a weird mechanic, to me it actually sounds like a decent solution so far.  Not sure if I agree with the number of shots being weapon-specific, that could really make it confusing. Unless you'd do it based on the number of bullets in the clip, but that would result in confusing numbers with mag pull.

If the information that's visible in-game about the weapons and their stats would be a lot better you could do it based on the amount of shots to kill (taking 75% of that for example).

• Like 1

Just arrived in Paris for Games Week, so I’m a bit tired, but I wanted to post a quick update.

On the Halloween patch we will be FULLY reverting IR3. Both the upside and downside will be going back to the way they were before weapon balance.

There was a lot of discussion internally, and I don't think we want to introduce anything ‘new’ until it has had a chance to go through OTW player testing.

It was correctly pointed out several times that reverting the downside and leaving the new upside will make IR3 more powerful than it was before.

Sorry for the confusion,

Matt

• Like 12
  • Thanks 7

12 minutes ago, MattScott said:

On the Halloween patch we will be FULLY reverting IR3. Both the upside and downside will be going back to the way they were before weapon balance.

How will this affect the LCR? Given that base changes were made to the weapon to compensate for the IR change.

Edited by Knite

Every time I start to get comfortable with a change... another change comes along.

Anyways, event should be fun regardless.

1 minute ago, Knite said:

How will this affect the LCR? Given that base changes were made to the weapon to compensate for the IR change.

You mean u don't wanna check if LCR get Competitive or "OP" than?

I'd wish to test it with 18% higher RoF 

Semi-Unrelated but there's a strange comfort in knowing that the new company running APB can afford to send its CEO to Paris and other places, instead of just a rinkydink rental space above a laundromat or something.

I cant explain it tho...

25 minutes ago, MattScott said:

Just arrived in Paris for Games Week, so I’m a bit tired, but I wanted to post a quick update.

There was a lot of discussion internally, and I don't think we want to introduce anything ‘new’ until it has had a chance to go through OTW player testing.

It was correctly pointed out several times that reverting the downside and leaving the new upside will make IR3 more powerful than it was before.

Sorry for the confusion,

Matt

it feels good knowing to be heard. thanks!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MattScott said:

baby steps guys, baby steps

14 minutes ago, Knite said:

maybe the lcr will finally be competitive

at least until they change rifling again 

• Like 1

It was a test, it failed, got reverses. Thats fine, its better to experiment a bit and revert it than experiment change for the sake of change and end up with something worse.

12 minutes ago, HighSociety said:

You mean u don't wanna check if LCR get Competitive or "OP" than?

I'd wish to test it with 18% higher RoF 

1 minute ago, BXNNXD said:

baby steps guys, baby steps

maybe the lcr will finally be competitive

at least until they change rifling again 

I like the changes made to the LCR, but was just looking for some clarification; the changes were made specifically because of IR affecting the PR1/2 LCR variants.

7 minutes ago, Knite said:

I like the changes made to the LCR, but was just looking for some clarification; the changes were made specifically because of IR affecting the PR1/2 LCR variants.

Indeed it was but maybe it's a good thing.

Tbh the LCR was/is  just "good" in the 1-2% niche...

Also it's the really first thing i purchased at Armas some g1c ago 🤗

Edited by HighSociety
changed amount of g1c to some

3 minutes ago, Knite said:

They had their fire rate buffed to counter the changes IR would make on them, maybe even a bit past the equilibrium of -18%

1 minute ago, Weeb TheEpicGuyV2 said:

They had their fire rate buffed to counter the changes IR would make on them, maybe even a bit past the equilibrium of -18%

looks like a 1.05s ttk without the ir3 downside, seems pretty balanced tbh considering obeya is .84s and issrb is .9s

trading the ease of use (full auto, no effective bloom) for a slightly higher ttk 

5 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

looks like a 1.05s ttk without the ir3 downside, seems pretty balanced tbh considering obeya is .84s and issrb is .9s

trading the ease of use (full auto, no effective bloom) for a slightly higher ttk 

I looked it up on both apb databases, the old LCR ttk was 1.2s while the current one was 1.27s. Without the fire rate nerf, it will become 1.08s, so you were pretty much spot on

56 minutes ago, MattScott said:

Sorry for the confusion,

Matt

That's good

20 minutes ago, Ignas / qsn said:

@MattScottCan LO make a promise that no mods will be ever changed because they are fine? :]

that sounds like a stupid thing to promise

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BXNNXD said:

37 minutes ago, Weeb TheEpicGuyV2 said:

I looked it up on both apb databases, the old LCR ttk was 1.2s while the current one was 1.27s. Without the fire rate nerf, it will become 1.08s, so you were pretty much spot on

I always felt the LCR was representative of the drastic difference in RTW TTK and RP TTK, since the LCR is what the RTW STAR was; I always preferred the slower fire rate, but it wasn't strictly competitive. The fire rate of the PR1/2 without the RoF downside is more in line with contemporary weapons, but my main concern here is the Old Glory, since it's quite effective now instead of just being a meme machine.

I may reinstall in the office based solely on this so I can restart selling mods.

Ir1=+%3 range +%5 recoil

Ir2=+%5 range +%7 recoil

Ir3=+%7 range +%10 recoil

My opinion

• Like 1

I hope the LCR keeps its RoF buff.  It never really was a great gun.  I loved the model and the way it handled, but it just wasn't very useful at any range.

36 minutes ago, SacheM said:

Ir1=+%3 range +%5 recoil

Ir2=+%5 range +%7 recoil

Ir3=+%7 range +%10 recoil

My opinion

While I have the suspicion that the poster of this was confusing recoil and bloom (recoil is crosshair movement due to shooting, not crosshair aperture) I actually like this solution. Keep the minimally effective maximum bloom increase from the original IR3, and add recoil that the player will have to compensate as a downside to using the mod. Also, 7% is extremely low for IR3, the original 7m is sensible and pretty much proven.

This is arguably more fair than any solution which involves adding RNG or reducing the weapon's killing power. So my suggestion would be to add a muzzle brake downside effect, increasing vertical recoil by 25% on IR3. I believe there's no need to increase horizontal recoil, since it's more luck based than vertical, and most guns that have high horizontal recoil work very poorly with Improved Rifling anyway.  Even the Fang would be less of an issue, since the recoil would require compensating before firing each burst to not shoot above the target. 

Now, and this is more wishful thinking than anything, better recoil handling on 4:3 and other uncommon aspect ratios wouldn't be a bad idea either. It certainly feels like playing on such resolutions rather than 16:9 makes recoil control way too easy, regardless of whether the image is scaled or not. 

• Like 2

On the subject of the LCR RoF change, let's not forget that it was made around a mod that honestly is not required on the LCR, as the LCR only increases in STK by 1 around 75m, and the Old Glory is by far the superior LCR.

As for people suggesting recoil as a downside, I honestly am starting to not hate that idea.

• Like 1