Sign in to follow this  
TrashCan

Hardware IP bans!?!?!?!

6 hours ago, MartisLTU said:

No offence, but its hard to believe that some one who have internet and PC to play games dont have cell phone or any kind phone with active number.... 

I think phone number link to acc. with sms verification would be end of reroll cheaters.

believe what you want but that doesn't change the fact I have no cell phone

also forgot to mention that its been on the news lately how  a cell phone identification is actually less secure.

if that's  true then i wouldn't want it anyways

Edited by Fortune Runner

7 hours ago, ឴឴឴឴឴឴឴ said:

You are late by 20 years, now you can google "receive sms online" and get billion of different numbers for throwaway account verification. Not to mention there are a lot of events/places where you can grab bunch of promo sim cards for free.

2 hours ago, Fortune Runner said:

also forgot to mention that its been on the news lately how  a cell phone identification is actually less secure.

Welp .. its better to do something and try to stop reroll cheaters, than just criticize everyone. Looks like both of you dont see much of the problem of reroll cheaters cuz i dont see any ideas from both of you.

3 hours ago, MartisLTU said:

Welp .. its better to do something and try to stop reroll cheaters, than just criticize everyone. Looks like both of you dont see much of the problem of reroll cheaters cuz i dont see any ideas from both of you.

no where near what i said

if its true then id lose my account from a security flaw.

no point in trying to prevent a reroll if it costs me my account instead from a security flaw.

and once again I don't own a cell phone so i wouldn't be able to regardless.

quit acting like one of those "entitled people" please

doing any extra security properly means doing it properly.....

7 hours ago, MartisLTU said:

Welp .. its better to do something and try to stop reroll cheaters, than just criticize everyone.

But if those "revolutionary" anti-cheat methods are outdated or proven to be ineffective why even bother? You are just shifting away engine upgrade and asking devs for doing days of absolutely useless extra work which will "stop" cheaters from rerolling for an one minute more once a week/month.
If I knew a WORKING anti-cheat method I wouldn't post it in open as well.

Edited by ឴឴឴឴឴឴឴

Not sure I like the idea of phone numbers.

My sister got a second hand phone number a few years back, it used to belong to someone who was being chased by debt collectors....someone was on the run it seems. I know that's a different scale to getting one linked to a cheater account, but it can still bite people it shouldn't.

I don't know the best way to keep cheaters away. I wish the game could detect when it is being manipulated and just close....and keeps doing it until cheat is removed. And if it's being put back on, closes the game again. Unrealistic I know. That and a self aware APB might not be a good idea in general.....

People also forget a lot of these measures are an inconvenience for the innocent majority just to try and mess with a cheating minority that is hardly even affected by these measures.

2 hours ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

People also forget a lot of these measures are an inconvenience for the innocent majority just to try and mess with a cheating minority that is hardly even affected by these measures.

The Innocent majority does not need multiple accounts!

7 hours ago, Fortune Runner said:

no where near what i said

if its true then id lose my account from a security flaw.

no point in trying to prevent a reroll if it costs me my account instead from a security flaw.

and once again I don't own a cell phone so i wouldn't be able to regardless.

quit acting like one of those "entitled people" please

doing any extra security properly means doing it properly.....

3 hours ago, ឴឴឴឴឴឴឴ said:

But if those "revolutionary" anti-cheat methods are outdated or proven to be ineffective why even bother? You are just shifting away engine upgrade and asking devs for doing days of absolutely useless extra work which will "stop" cheaters from rerolling for an one minute more once a week/month.
If I knew a WORKING anti-cheat method I wouldn't post it in open as well.

LO can introduce this step by step nobody wants to do that before the engine upgrade and it would not happen!

2 hours ago, NotZombieBiscuit said:

The innocent majority does not need multiple accounts! 

Many people make new accounts only to play on bronze and that harms the new players and in most cases the people give up because they think cheaters.

And because APB has the worst cheater reputation as far people just uninstall the Game.

Edited by TrashCan

HWID gets reset with every Windows 10 "major" update, so, no point in doing this...

Talking about Bans and stuff..

What about handling Two Step Authentication System by Phone Number only?

Edited by JungleFlaco

I agree with phone number authentication.

On 10/18/2018 at 5:40 AM, Fortune Runner said:

Hardware ids can be changed easily. so can internet address.

And not everyone has a cell phone myself included.

The only real guarantee is banning accounts.

Not sure what else can be done without slowing down updates to APB

Maybe its time to get phone?

17 hours ago, Fortune Runner said:

believe what you want but that doesn't change the fact I have no cell phone

well then 2 step auth with email if you dont have a cell phone (but seriously 2018, no cellphone, how do you survive?) 

you might not have been aware of it , but that feature has been into apb since RTW.

On 10/18/2018 at 6:23 AM, MrsHappyPenguin said:

Then players buying used hardware get banned because it happened to be flagged.

Honestly, what are odds of that.

Population of APB is uber small.

Edited by Mitne

6 hours ago, valdas001 said:

I agree with phone number authentication.

Maybe its time to get phone?

sure buy it for me >.>

5 hours ago, Seadee said:

well then 2 step auth with email if you dont have a cell phone (but seriously 2018, no cellphone, how do you survive?) 

top ramen ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mitne said:

Honestly, what are odds of that.

Population of APB is uber small.

You could use the same excuse to any kind of false ban. Any false ban is a lost customer and bad rep for your company. LO are currently cleaning up G1's mess, they can't afford any bad rep.

Temp hardware bans for a week or two is the furthest I would go, and even then only if it blocks you from connecting, not ban your new account.

18 hours ago, MrsHappyPenguin said:

You could use the same excuse to any kind of false ban. Any false ban is a lost customer and bad rep for your company. LO are currently cleaning up G1's mess, they can't afford any bad rep.

Temp hardware bans for a week or two is the furthest I would go, and even then only if it blocks you from connecting, not ban your new account.

Each hardware got ID number in various forms.

Banning one of kind hardware in world and it landing in hands of other APB player is unlikely. Taking that it's at max 1k people against 8-9bil. people on this planet. Odds are 1:800 000 000 at best.

Edited by Mitne

39 minutes ago, Mitne said:

Each hardware got ID number in various forms.

Banning one of kind hardware in world and it landing in hands of other APB player is unlikely. Taking that it's at max 1k people against 8-9bil. people on this planet. Odds are 1:800 000 000 at best.

Nice maff bruv. 

lul

17 hours ago, CookiePuss said:

Nice maff bruv. 

lul

And then again chance is spiked up to be even more unlikely by the fact that chance of getting not banned hardware is more likely than hitting that one chance of banned hardware. Even then, support could work something out I guess.

Permanent hardware ban IS useful and "two week ban" will mean cheaters using spare hardware to swap it back and forth to evase ban.

If they want to cheat sure - but that will cost them.

Edited by Mitne

Every time you log into APB, you're sending a massive list of hardware names and versions from your computer to the login server in basically a super long string of text.

This data includes things like your motherboard bios version. The entire HWID structure for APB can be found via Google.

100% of it can be falsified (only G1/LO know if they have any sort of detection for inconsistent HWID data for a single account) but you can still log in just fine. There are HWID bans (as I've been on the receiving end of one in 2012), but they're completely unreliable just like IP banning someone.

On 10/18/2018 at 3:18 AM, Weeb TheEpicGuyV2 said:

>PUBG

Why are there still non http Forums on the net?

Why are there still login = user names in many?

Because there is still amongst companies a huge lack of basic security knowledge or knowledge about what makes sense and what not.

Sign in to follow this